Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-02-2017, 02:14 PM   #31
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: PULP 98 price differences

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
What's wrong with v power?
The BMW bikes don't run well on VPower.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2017, 02:16 PM   #32
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
That's what I was thinking, so why the huge price difference? Either vpower's additive are more expensive (better quality?), or the other's are taking a short cut (savings) somewhere along the process, or vpower are taking a bigger margin.
How many servos are you basing this assumption on that one brand is dearer than the others?

My experience does not match yours but even then I only see a very small fraction of the overall picture, as does everyone.

It's about supply and demand in a very competitive and flooded market. No one is going to price themselves out of it.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2017, 02:21 PM   #33
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sample is pretty much eastern suburbs of Melbourne. It's consistent. You can also get into motormouth and see. But I noticed a lot of shell stations now don't advertise their price on that app.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2017, 02:28 PM   #34
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Shell hasn't had their prices on motormouth from when I first started using it many years ago
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2017, 02:30 PM   #35
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can you guess which is one is Shell / Coles?

Old 19-02-2017, 02:32 PM   #36
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth View Post
Shell hasn't had their prices on motormouth from when I first started using it many years ago
They are listed as "coles express", but many of their stations aren't on there. BP sometimes won't update the price. 7-11 and Caltex are very good with the updates. That's what I've found.

Old 19-02-2017, 03:01 PM   #37
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Whilst 98 prices can vary between brands such as Caltex, Shell and BP, I intend to stick with the same brand once my car is tuned next week.

Probably won't make a big difference what brand I use, but most tuners I've spoken to, tend to recommend to always refill with the same blend the car was tuned to at the time.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2017, 05:14 PM   #38
Pilko FNQ

How the brands work.....

Last edited by Pilko FNQ; 08-12-2017 at 10:56 PM.
Pilko FNQ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2017, 06:25 PM   #39
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

http://www.motoring.com.au/98-ron-fu...FcErvQodS-wOww

2012 GTP 213 black what was I thinking? NOW FOR SALE>>
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11439680
sbutler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2017, 06:45 PM   #40
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbutler View Post
Totally agree...

Bottom line on fuel rating is to use the RON rating recommended by the car manufacturer for your model, unless your car has been tuned to run on a higher Octane fuel, otherwise you are just wasting your money and paying for an expensive detergent cleaning additive your car may or may not need.
Old 20-02-2017, 08:52 AM   #41
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

You want to know what the best cleaning additive is?
E10, that **** will flush all the dirt and crap out, ever wondered why people say they tried it for the first time and the car ran like a ****. That's because it just blended with all the moisture in their tank and sent it to the injectors.
I run the odd tank of E5 (half E10 Half 98) to effectively remove moisture from the fuel system.
This user likes this post:
Old 20-02-2017, 11:59 AM   #42
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Yangs View Post
I run the odd tank of E5 (half E10 Half 98) to effectively remove moisture from the fuel system.
Can't really do this though if your car is tuned for RON98
Old 20-02-2017, 12:46 PM   #43
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAXRSIX View Post
Can't really do this though if your car is tuned for RON98
Chuck in about 5 litres of E85 then top up with 98, you won't drop octane below 98 doing this because E85 is 105 RON.
Old 20-02-2017, 01:19 PM   #44
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilko FNQ View Post
How the brands work.....
Yup, I remember a small chain I used to work for used to get fuel from the Mobil, Shell or Caltex depot.

And at that time (2004) only two companies, pretty sure it was BP & Caltex brought fuel into QLD. They would add their respective dyes to the fuel & distribute it as they're own. My memory is a bit hazy as to who it was. Think it was BP & Caltex.

One reason why V Power is more expensive than Ultimate is because it is claimed at 100 RON. How an extra few RON is worth so much in petrol vs a lower grade of petrol I have no idea. However I'm sure they are targeting a specific market. And it's not the normal A-B motorist.

The other is fuel companies are in business to make money.

All the money.

Fancy that.

And when you mentioned that V-Power is more expensive to the 7/11 employee & he told you to download the 7/11 app, he saw an opportunity because you were disgruntled about the price of shell, that may be able to help secure another customer. It's called doing your job.

I think that instead of just trying new fuels, you service the car (not just oils etc) clean the Throttle body, pull, check clean, injectors, fuel rails, fuel filter etc, and go back to your tuner and explain the situation, & discuss some possible options & plans of attack.

Sounds to me that it's more the car than the fuel.

Outlay some cash to eliminate the car as the problem. It's better than outlaying more every week, each week for who knows how long? Which will wind up being more in the long run.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.

Last edited by Revolver; 20-02-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2017, 04:22 PM   #45
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Higher costs cause Shell/Viva refine their own fuel here? So costs are higher, hence the need to sell for a higher price?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2017, 06:06 PM   #46
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

2003 started using 98 octane there was 10 cents price difference from 91 octane, this has grown to 16 cents to up to 24 cents recently paid at Shell in Gundagai.
Shell are always the 1st to jump on a price rise and there 98 octane in the last 2 years average 20 cents higher over 91 octane.
At the moment where I live fuel on Somerton Road 91 octane is 1.18 woolies, united, caltex, 7/11.
The Shell servo's are sitting on $1.26 to $1.29 for 91 add 20c for 98.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2017, 06:22 PM   #47
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolver View Post
One reason why V Power is more expensive than Ultimate is because it is claimed at 100 RON. How an extra few RON is worth so much in petrol vs a lower grade of petrol I have no idea. However I'm sure they are targeting a specific market. And it's not the normal A-B motorist.
Shell V Power is 98 RON.
Shell used to sell "V Power Racing" though, which was 100 RON, and was formulated with 5% ethanol to get to the 100 RON rating.

It was sold at 46 Coles Express sites in QLD, VIC, NSW & ACT and was sadly phased out by Shell by the end of 2008.

Some people had their cars tuned to run V Power Racing, and had to get their cars retuned to safely use Shell V Power.
2 users like this post:
Old 20-02-2017, 06:59 PM   #48
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

New owners of the Shell refinery Vitol probably seeking a quicker return on the $2b+ they're investing into it
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2017, 07:06 PM   #49
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG50T View Post
New owners of the Shell refinery Vitol probably seeking a quicker return on the $2b+ they're investing into it
That was three years ago and the $2.9 billion price tag was just to buy it from Viva Energy. From what I can tell, they've invested the sum total of $0 beyond the operating costs of the refinery and retail outlets.

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-02-2017, 11:36 PM   #50
cat007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm loving he gas prices here. In New Zealand you're looking at over $2 for 98. Some places are $2.50! I don't even care what my mpg or the cost per litre is. Just not worth it when it's so far under $2/L!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cat007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2017, 09:33 AM   #51
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day...Not just 98 but all petrol prices in Tassie are a bit more expensive I think compared to decent sized population places in the rest of OZ...For me it's fine because I don't do big kays..average about 1200 a month.
In our rural location with only one service station ..91 is $1.30 to $1.34 , and 95 which I run in the XR6 is about $1.46 or so..both fluctuate by 2 to 4 cents range..We don't have 98 anywhere closeby me..
Apparently Tassie pays more generally because of the cost across Bass Strait and the rural areas like mine costs increase because if the 200 kilometres from the delivery point once it gets here.. Hobart , Launceston , Devonport etc prices are a bit cheaper because of not as much cartage and volume discounts I have been told .. I suppose compared to some other really remote places in OZ though it isn't terrible pricing..

Pretty rare for me to run 98 ...Only when I head to the city...not too often these days...Cheers Rod
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2017, 01:03 PM   #52
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
G'day...Not just 98 but all petrol prices in Tassie are a bit more expensive I think compared to decent sized population places in the rest of OZ...For me it's fine because I don't do big kays..average about 1200 a month.
In our rural location with only one service station ..91 is $1.30 to $1.34 , and 95 which I run in the XR6 is about $1.46 or so..both fluctuate by 2 to 4 cents range..We don't have 98 anywhere closeby me..
Apparently Tassie pays more generally because of the cost across Bass Strait and the rural areas like mine costs increase because if the 200 kilometres from the delivery point once it gets here.. Hobart , Launceston , Devonport etc prices are a bit cheaper because of not as much cartage and volume discounts I have been told .. I suppose compared to some other really remote places in OZ though it isn't terrible pricing..

Pretty rare for me to run 98 ...Only when I head to the city...not too often these days...Cheers Rod
Ouchhhh I feel your pain!

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
Old 22-02-2017, 01:38 PM   #53
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Maybe the only way you'll know what the differences are between the three fuels is take a sample of all and get it analyzed in a lab.

Maybe your tuner will go halves with you so he has information to show customers.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2017, 06:49 PM   #54
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Right....I'm convinced they've done something with BP Ultimate.

The last 3 weeks I've been using Vpower and Supreme+. Gave the car a touch up tune last week and had Vpower in the tank. Car runs beautifully, no hick ups.

Literally 15 mins ago, filled up with Ultimate. Started ok and drove ok.......pulled up into drive way and idle goes to crap and nearly stalls....I dont know....its weird.