Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-02-2017, 10:01 PM   #31
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: How do you get a 23yr old 300,000km car more reliable even though they might be doing good?

not again

you think id learn by now not to read these threads

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2017, 11:00 PM   #32
Lugh

Default Re: How do you get a 23yr old 300,000km car more reliable even though they might be doing good?

I don't think this poor bloke's a troll guys.
With 591 posts in 6.5 years, he just seems to be one of those fellas that has a hard time putting a sentence together on a keyboard.
He also seems hopelessly attached to his EF Falcon that seems to have done a head gasket late last year.

My actual helpful advice on how to make an old, high mileage car more reliable is to just stay ahead of the maintenance.
Do stuff before things start going wrong - flush your cooling system before it starts overheating. Service the auto before it starts to have trouble shifting.
The other thing is that when problems do arise, hit them straight away before they get worse or make more problems. Do that head gasket before it overheats and cracks the head too.

The newest car i've had is 10 years old, the oldest is 37 years old and counting and i'd point any of them across the Nullabor tomorrow - but it's cost me a lot of time in the shed to keep them that way.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:29 AM   #33
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what parts can you fit to the e series to make them drive and run nearly like new even though they are really good cars, seen a thing about making classic cars more reliable for everyday

is there parts you can buy and fit

also might ask here with the heater pipe for back of engine are you better just running rubber hose around or buying a new factory steel one and getting a brass fitting welded where plastic one was. currently got rubber hose and a fitting made from part of a old heater pipe

means what is better out of following if you dont want to undo manifold unless you have to

1. keeping the rubber hose all way to water pump fitting

2. get another straight pipe made for near exhaust manifold and running rubber heater hose rest of way

3. buying a factory new steel pipe and getting a brass fitting welded where plastic one was
car10002 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2017, 09:25 AM   #34
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

How do you get a 23yo car to be as reliable as a new one? Rebuild it to as new spec with GENUINE, QUALITY parts, NO performance upgrades, all new parts, new EVERYTHING and dont cheapskate on anything.

Good luck with that
Old 06-02-2017, 07:51 PM   #35
XR6_power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Some replace when they get bored, that's me. Right now I'm starting to get bored. Carsales.com.au appears in my history more often now than it did a year ago.
Just out of interest, what are you thinking of replacing the Ranger with?

1999 AU I XR8 HOT CHILLI RED (PROJECT!)

1999 AU I XR8 HOT CHILLI RED (PROJECT) (YES I HAVE 2)

1991 EB S-XR8 WHITE (PROJECT)

2000 AU II XR8 200KW VENOM RED (GONE)

1995 EF XR8- COBALT BLUE (GONE)

1991 EB S XR8- PEARL BLACK (GONE)

1989 EA GL 5 SPEED (GONE)[/I]
[/B][/FONT]
XR6_power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2017, 08:11 PM   #36
sixman

Has Hulk finished filming in the new Thor movie?
Rear tyres: Toyo R888 265-30-19
3.5inch custom exhaust with imitation stock tip, PW Stage 2 cooler (black), ID 1000, XCAL3, Plazmaman intake, Herrod Spark Booster
BorgWarner EFR 9174
Autotech 420rwkw
sixman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2017, 02:23 AM   #37
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
I don't think this poor bloke's a troll guys.
With 591 posts in 6.5 years, he just seems to be one of those fellas that has a hard time putting a sentence together on a keyboard.
He also seems hopelessly attached to his EF Falcon that seems to have done a head gasket late last year.

My actual helpful advice on how to make an old, high mileage car more reliable is to just stay ahead of the maintenance.
Do stuff before things start going wrong - flush your cooling system before it starts overheating. Service the auto before it starts to have trouble shifting.
The other thing is that when problems do arise, hit them straight away before they get worse or make more problems. Do that head gasket before it overheats and cracks the head too.

The newest car i've had is 10 years old, the oldest is 37 years old and counting and i'd point any of them across the Nullabor tomorrow - but it's cost me a lot of time in the shed to keep them that way.
hi again

if you need to travel 3 hours but cant because your car needs some repairs but is fine going around the town but can only afford to do one repair at a time how would you be able to tell your family you dont want to use your car for now without having to tell them it needs repairs

with the possibility of them sugesting you start thinking of saving up for a newer model for the money you spend on repairs while you can still get a good amount of money on your old one or try sell it before next round of repairs.

because not everyones in a position to update to a newer model that needs less work and alot might like older cars and going to car shows so therefore have to fix their old one even bit by bit and may not be able to afford all the repairs at once and have to do whats needed soonest first then go through list and they cant go too long distance until its all fixed which could be months
car10002 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-03-2017, 12:38 PM   #38
XR6Runner
Sling Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by car10002 View Post
hi again

if you need to travel 3 hours but cant because your car needs some repairs but is fine going around the town but can only afford to do one repair at a time how would you be able to tell your family you dont want to use your car for now without having to tell them it needs repairs

with the possibility of them sugesting you start thinking of saving up for a newer model for the money you spend on repairs while you can still get a good amount of money on your old one or try sell it before next round of repairs.

because not everyones in a position to update to a newer model that needs less work and alot might like older cars and going to car shows so therefore have to fix their old one even bit by bit and may not be able to afford all the repairs at once and have to do whats needed soonest first then go through list and they cant go too long distance until its all fixed which could be months

Just grow some balls mate ffs
XR6Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2017, 02:05 PM   #39
bingoTE50
Steve

Mate, do a budget on your spending. Anything you really dont need or a lifestyle change if need be. Put the extra cash away for your car repairs. Buy a Gregorys Manual on your car and learn to do the basic stuff yourself.
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2017, 09:54 PM   #40
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OP with very basic TLC the old jiggers will roll the k's out
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-03-2017, 02:24 AM   #41
wobblysauce
316,500km

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Very general question...
Some replace every year, because they can afford it.
Some replace as soon as warranty runs out...
Some replace at the 100,000kms
Some replace at the end of a lease.
Some drive them into the ground..
You replace when ever you want / can afford.
Or the old $100/1,000km rule..

In my case I go with the scaled up $1,000/10,000km.. and even with fuel costs I am under that ratio.

Was going for the Barra 1,000,000km... but was cut short, time to reset the clock.
wobblysauce is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post