Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 08-12-2022, 01:17 AM   #1
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default MD Mondeo Privacy Glass

Has anyone actually been to a tint shop and/or measured how much UV is blocked by the privacy glass and glass roof? I am considering getting a light (3M Crystalline) tint, and the tint shop suggested that I get Crystalline 90 over the rear privacy glass as that is practically a clear film but would block UV, and said that privacy glass just darkens the window but generally doesn't block UV.

I don't want to spend money on getting clear tint aft of the B-pillar if this doesn't give me any noticeable benefits, so if anyone has actually measured UV and heat energy that's being rejected by the very dark rear privacy glass, I'd appreciate it if you can tell me your results. Seat of the pants impression is that the privacy glass does a pretty good job of rejecting heat, as it is quite a bit cooler in direct sunlight.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2022, 08:57 AM   #2
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: MD Mondeo Privacy Glass

So, according to Ford the privacy glass blocks 98% of UV and that claim seems to be accurate from what I've read.

In terms of light transmittance, just taker the car down to a WA roads testing centre and they'll check it with their little gauge if you ask nicely. I suspect it's probably ~40%.

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-12-2022, 12:13 PM   #3
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
So, according to Ford the privacy glass blocks 98% of UV and that claim seems to be accurate from what I've read.

In terms of light transmittance, just taker the car down to a WA roads testing centre and they'll check it with their little gauge if you ask nicely. I suspect it's probably ~40%.
I had VLT measured at a tint shop and it came to about 10% actually. So it is already darker than darkest legal tint, straight from the factory.

Do you know if the glass roof has the same UV protection?
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-12-2022, 06:59 PM   #4
mourati

Not looking at splitting hairs however actual UV block out on automotive glass is 99% and that is on all types of automotive glass even if you don't have tint. Don't be conned in by a tinter selling you tint that their product blocks out 99% UV as you get that standard in your vehicle glass!
re: MD Mondeo privacy glass - 15% tint on the front passenger and drivers doors will blend it perfectly with the rest of the car. I have done this and it is flawless. I first tried 20% and wasn't happy with the end result, so went back and had it switched down to 15% and the guys that did it for me did not charge extra. They were awesome!
mourati is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2022, 09:12 PM   #5
stock1991
Limited supply

Calling it privacy glass is a hint
stock1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post