Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 28-01-2006, 02:29 PM   #1
rider007

Default Modded my New Focus today !

Well after feeling very embarressed using the horn on my new LS Focus I decided to go hunting for a new model.I pulled out the standard horn which is very easy to get to ( Under a plastic cover and situated behind the bumper infront of the radiator ) to discover it is called a FIAMM AM80S L . Now the L stands for Low tone. I didn't want to go to the trouble of fitting relays and different connectors to aftermarket horns so I tried hunting for a FIAMM AM80 S H - ( H for High Tone ). I was unable to find anywhere in Aus but found www.ridesafer.com in the US that ship the AM80S 2 pin High tone. When it arrived it was a simple procedure of snipping off an electrical plug on the standard horn attaching supplied snap connectors onto the two bare wires and puting on the new horn. It has exactly the same mounting bolt as the standard horn . Now the new horn sound is definately more "meatier " and I don't feel so ashamed using it. Warning : Be very careful pulling and cutting wires around the bumber area as there is an Airbag sensor close by to the horn . Cut or break that and you could be looking at Big $$$ to fix . P.S Other Mod is some nice new chrome valve caps for the tyres.

Old 28-01-2006, 04:50 PM   #2
0xyg3n

Hmmm interesting you couldn't find any here. I currently have a AM80S hgh sitting on my desk from my fiesta. Also the mondeo uses the same horn. I think the ghia mondeo has a dual horn setup with both high and low tones. This is what I'll be doing to mine soon.
0xyg3n is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2006, 04:57 AM   #3
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol, middle finger works better than an horn ever!
Zetec20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2006, 01:06 PM   #4
FocusLX06

I would never consider modding the horn.. What do you use it for? Waving to people?
Old 29-01-2006, 01:10 PM   #5
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

The standard horn on the LR is pretty good! And there's no substitute for the Internationally Recognised Hand Signal (I.R.H.S.)!! Is the LS horn tone different?
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2006, 08:17 PM   #6
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

LR has two horns (Hi and Lo I guess). If LS only has one, it is less likely to sound as good.

I have occasionally thought of installing twin Fiamm air horns. I had them once on a Fiat 124 sport. VERY European (and works better than the IRHS...it would scare the bejesus out of people)
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2006, 11:14 PM   #7
zetec
Zoom Zoom

What does it matter, your average Toyota driver who cause the horn movement generally still can't hear the horn anyway... bloody Toyota drivers.
Old 30-01-2006, 01:15 PM   #8
whippet_zetec
Supes

who's going to put in the "Dixie" on their bright orange ST??
Old 30-01-2006, 03:23 PM   #9
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Always wondered what it would be like to put a pair of those big truck horns in a small car (any car really). You know, those big booming prime mover horns. Would make for some interesting looks at the local shopping centre
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2006, 11:29 PM   #10
New2Focus
LS LX Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0xyg3n
Hmmm interesting you couldn't find any here. I currently have a AM80S hgh sitting on my desk from my fiesta. Also the mondeo uses the same horn. I think the ghia mondeo has a dual horn setup with both high and low tones. This is what I'll be doing to mine soon.
Oxyg3n, can you let us know when you've attempted that. If one of the horns from the Mondeo Ghia (the model sold in Australia?) dual setup is the same, then in theory the conversion could be done by a dealer. I checked with my dealer a few months ago, and they told me a LS dual setup is only sold o/seas and Ford Australia wouldn't get the parts in if I wanted them - end of story.

Thanks, rider007, for the update.

Fiamm airhorns may be The Go - yes, very European. Prime mover horns? Pfft - go for train horns!
New2Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post