Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 08-01-2006, 10:23 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default It's On!

After 8 months or so, my Focus is finally no longer mechanically stock! Many thanks to Matt (zetec) who spent yesterday with me lying on concrete under the car working on getting the stocker exhaust off, and putting his old 2.25" pearler of a system on in its place! The note is not quite there due to the tip being not on yet (it is amazing just how much difference to the sound having the tip on makes!), but after a few test runs it is a real honey of a system. Sounds fantastic, not ricey or farty, just got a nice idle to it, and put the foot down and you're in Zetec Heaven. I love it, was worth all the effort.

And I've gotta say, I think the best thing about it apart from the sound, is the fact that we did it ourselves. Its really rewarding and satisfying. I had no idea how to do it, but it's all very straightforward and with the right tools it can be done by the most amateur of backyard mechanics.

I'll probably do a bit of a writeup at some stage, but again, HUGE thanks Matt, it's a bloody great system, and its so good to finally see it on, and the car no longer stock!

Old 08-01-2006, 10:34 PM   #2
simonr
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
put the foot down and you're in Zetec Heaven

hahahha i love it
Old 08-01-2006, 11:22 PM   #3
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Well done guys. Methinks you'll now have the modification bug though B2TF!
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 11:28 PM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
Well done guys. Methinks you'll now have the modification bug though B2TF!
Oh believe me, Ive had it for a long time, i just havent had the ability to do anything. Im on the lookout now for some SVT rims from the US, as well as some stock taillights if anybody has any they've taken off.
The next one will be lowering but I dont think Dodgy Bros Mechanical Inc. will be tackling that one.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:42 PM   #5
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I just got home in one piece, I'm exhausted. A weekend of modding, Maccas, PS2 with Ford Racing 3 and slurpees. Bit of off-roading oin the Territory and it was a top weekend!! But most of all the Go-Karting was SENSATIONAL!!!!!

Thanks for a top weekend mate, your hospitality was outstanding and it was great fun swearing at the Germans for building an exhaust that resisted all efforts to be taken off. Just have to tell 'em who's boss!!!!!

When you get that tip on I want pics and sound files!!!
Old 08-01-2006, 11:43 PM   #6
b2tf
not here much anymore

Mmm, some interesting techniques for undoing bolts were developed over the w/e thats for sure!

The offroading was amazing :. Cant believe that the Terry took it all and didnt complain!

Tip will be on by the end of the week .
Old 09-01-2006, 12:32 AM   #7
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
Mmm, some interesting techniques for undoing bolts were developed over the w/e thats for sure!

The offroading was amazing :. Cant believe that the Terry took it all and didnt complain!

Tip will be on by the end of the week .

Hammer in one hand and a Beer in the other?
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2006, 12:36 AM   #8
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Not exactly. The hammer did come in handy though...

Basically we didn't have enough strength (torque) in the handles of the ratchets (weren't long enough) or our own arms to loosen the bolts at the head of the exhaust behind the flexpipe, so I came in from the side with my leg and had the torque in my leg to loosen the bolts. Looked hillarious!
Old 09-01-2006, 04:07 AM   #9
Danny
GT4.

Great Aust, Having heard Matt's exhaust First hand and experiencing it go past, I know that it is a mutha of a system. You'd be chuffed!

-Dan
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2006, 10:43 AM   #10
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

B2TF I have stock rear lamps sitting in the garage. Wasn't thinking about selling them, but might if they are going to a good home! PM me and we'll talk
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2006, 09:46 PM   #11
b2tf
not here much anymore

PM Sent .

At the moment the exhaust is not sounding as good as it will - as I mentioned before, the tip is not on there yet so the sound is bouncing off the rear bar and back, sounds like a big fart! :

We did a few runs with the tip on though, and it sounded awesome, the tip just finishes it off so nicely. So i cant wait to get it on.

Out of interest I went to an exhaust shop today and asked them what it would cost to fit a 2.25" exhaust to my car (didnt let them see it though, just told them what it was). Got a quote for $250, and one for $280, so I would say the day was well spent, and saved me a packet too! Seriously, anybody who is thinking of getting an exhaust, have a go yourself. The worst that can happen is you'll have to drive without a tailpipe or something, which is bearable. But we had very little idea and neither of us had done it ever before, and we managed to do it in a day - would have been quicker if we had the right tools. Very easy to do.

Now on a slightly different note, in the coming days I am pricing up some 03 SVT Focus rims from the US, if they are a decent price I am thinking of importing them myself. Is anybody else interested in perhaps importing some US parts with me at the same time and sharing the cost of shipping? I am going for wheels only at this stage but if we bought from the same place (i.e. FRPP) Im sure we could work something out. PM me if anybody is keen.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:52 PM   #12
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Remembered I had this... might help for anyone trying to remove their own exhaust...

Just cut behind the I.R.S.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:03 PM   #13
b2tf
not here much anymore

thats a great pic. once you're under the car you can see where it all is very easily, and its very accesible too.
Old 17-01-2006, 08:54 PM   #14
Fordy
EMC-Benzenes Detailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
PM Sent .

At the moment the exhaust is not sounding as good as it will - as I mentioned before, the tip is not on there yet so the sound is bouncing off the rear bar and back, sounds like a big fart! :

We did a few runs with the tip on though, and it sounded awesome, the tip just finishes it off so nicely. So i cant wait to get it on.

Out of interest I went to an exhaust shop today and asked them what it would cost to fit a 2.25" exhaust to my car (didnt let them see it though, just told them what it was). Got a quote for $250, and one for $280, so I would say the day was well spent, and saved me a packet too! Seriously, anybody who is thinking of getting an exhaust, have a go yourself. The worst that can happen is you'll have to drive without a tailpipe or something, which is bearable. But we had very little idea and neither of us had done it ever before, and we managed to do it in a day - would have been quicker if we had the right tools. Very easy to do.

Now on a slightly different note, in the coming days I am pricing up some 03 SVT Focus rims from the US, if they are a decent price I am thinking of importing them myself. Is anybody else interested in perhaps importing some US parts with me at the same time and sharing the cost of shipping? I am going for wheels only at this stage but if we bought from the same place (i.e. FRPP) Im sure we could work something out. PM me if anybody is keen.
Is there a website or pics of these rims?? Whats price we looking at?
Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2006, 10:22 PM   #15
b2tf
not here much anymore

If you're talking about the 03 SVT rims, there are some pics of them in my thread titled "some ideas". Ive gone off the idea and wont be importing them, going to stick with my current wheels for a while longer, but I may end up getting some other bits.
Old 24-01-2006, 11:32 PM   #16
b2tf
not here much anymore

Old 25-01-2006, 12:38 AM   #17
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Niiiiice. Good to finally see some pics!!!

Now dump it!!!
Old 27-01-2006, 03:25 PM   #18
Focituner

I love the MP3 rims, I would kill for a set.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post