Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 08-01-2006, 12:01 PM   #1
Arv
Starter Motor

Default Focus Reliability

I have a freind who's looking at getting a 2004 Focus Zetec Manual.

I just wanted to know if these cars are generally reliable assuming that they've been serviced according to the manufacturers specifications.

Arv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 11:51 PM   #2
zetec
Zoom Zoom

They are very reliable. The only issues to look out for really at a glance are fuel guage working correctly (there's a fix out there and any waranty covered car is covered, it's an easy fix) and perhaps the thickness of the brake discs/test feel of the braking to ensure no shudder or grind on braking. Foci are known to wear front discs out in under 50,000km commonly, but it doesn't seem to occur to every car. Finally, check the gas struts on the boot are strong and lift the bootlid easily, I'm about to get onto my third pair under warranty but again it's a very minor cheap fix even if you're out of warranty.

Other than the brakes/discs, wear and tear is great on them. Mine's done over 60,000km and apart from some warranty issues with the catalytic converter being replaced she's still solid and rattle free and drives beautifully. Paint quality has been top notch, fit and finish is brilliant and nothing has broken off or come loose in my car and I am very happy with it. Well worth a look, those Germans certainly know how to put these things together!
Old 09-01-2006, 04:39 PM   #3
whippet_zetec
Supes

as Mr Clarkson from TopGear says:

"reliability...all I can say is I have a Y Red Focus at home and its never gone wrong once, most dependable car I've ever owned" (see the XR5 clip somewhere here on the forums or on the EFC site posted by Abraxas)
Old 09-01-2006, 05:33 PM   #4
Stampy

I would say a very strong and well built engine ,in the 03-04 models , go zetec or durotec for best power stick with the 2.0lt
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2006, 06:16 PM   #5
Talldude

i own a 2002 Zetec manual never had a problem.

oh one bit of the interia is falling off could fix it with some glue...... but thats it.
Talldude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2006, 07:31 PM   #6
Arv
Starter Motor

Cool, thanks for the responses. All have been very helpful.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:46 PM   #7
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Jeremy Clarkson actually said "Y Reg" as in the registration

But yeah I'd highly recommend to anyone these awesome things. They'll shame so many cars through corners and are an absolutely stunning drive when you go for it, but just so pleasant and easy and comfortable everday, ergonomical and just so good!
Old 13-01-2006, 10:21 PM   #8
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Mums' LX has just done over 100,000 k's and not a single warranty claim.
Old 24-01-2006, 01:59 AM   #9
Arv
Starter Motor

Thanks for your help guys, my friend ended up buying a 2003 Zetec 3 door manual.
Old 24-01-2006, 10:38 PM   #10
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Wicked, that's great news. They're even better value as used cars because they weren't so popular as new cars, but they're just so damn good!!!

Hope he's keen to maybe meet us for a club meet some time!!
Old 25-01-2006, 10:56 AM   #11
whippet_zetec
Supes

you can get some great prices on older LR Foci these days, and for what you get I agree its not a bad option