Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 14-09-2018, 12:26 PM   #1
JasTDi
Starter Motor

Default 2010 LV TDci DPF Question

Hi All,

I have 2 quick questions about the DPF in my car. And one about upper head cleans.
I have done my research but the information I found across the interwebs contradicts itself.

1. Does my car use AdBlue to regen the DPF? If yes then where is the reservoir? I read somewhere it was under the headlights but cant see it.

2. Is it safe to use DPF cleaners that you can buy from supercrap Auto? I was reading on the back of a bottle that said not to use it on European diesels which I think ours has a Peugeot engine in it.

3. Is it worth doing upper engine cleans on these engines or even running a catch can to prolong the life of the engine?

Thanks in advance

Jason
JasTDi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2018, 09:27 AM   #2
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: 2010 LV TDci DPF Question

1. If it's the 2.0L (DW) engine then yes it has an additive but I don't believe it's AdBlue. TGo quote:

A metallic catalyst consisting of cerium and iron is used in the fuel additive. Because of it, the soot particles can be burned off faster and the combustion occurs at a lower temperature. Each time after the fuel tank is filled, a metered quantity of fuel additive is injected into the fuel tank where it mixes with the fuel.

The fuel additive tank is located behind the fuel tank and is attached to the cross-member. The volume of the fuel additive tank is 1.8 l and is designed for an total driving distance of 60,000 km. The fuel additive must be topped up in accordance with maintenance instructions. After filling the additive tank, the software of the fuel additive control unit must be reset. This can be done with WDS or manually with the tank flap switch.

2. No.

3. Unlikely to help.

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-09-2018, 09:37 AM   #3
JasTDi
Starter Motor

Ok that has cleared a fair bit up. I will check the engine code this morning when I'm doing a tire rotation.
Im currently on 62k km so I need to work out ASAP if I need the additive before I fill up the DPF.
Old 15-09-2018, 03:05 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasTDi View Post
Hi All,

I have 2 quick questions about the DPF in my car. And one about upper head cleans.
I have done my research but the information I found across the interwebs contradicts itself.

1. Does my car use AdBlue to regen the DPF? If yes then where is the reservoir? I read somewhere it was under the headlights but cant see it.

2. Is it safe to use DPF cleaners that you can buy from supercrap Auto? I was reading on the back of a bottle that said not to use it on European diesels which I think ours has a Peugeot engine in it.

3. Is it worth doing upper engine cleans on these engines or even running a catch can to prolong the life of the engine?

Thanks in advance

Jason
LV TDCI doesn't have a DPF or Adblue, mine doesn't.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2018, 11:24 AM   #5
JasTDi
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
LV TDCI doesn't have a DPF or Adblue, mine doesn't.
Really? There is a large cylinder thing just under the turbo at the back of the engine. I just assumed this was the DPF.
Old 16-09-2018, 07:17 PM   #6
RadioactiveX
Diesel Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasTDi View Post
Really? There is a large cylinder thing just under the turbo at the back of the engine. I just assumed this was the DPF.
MY 2011 MK2.5 2.0 TDCI does not have DPF. That cylinder at the back of the engine that leads to the exhaust is the Catalytic Converter. I researched this well enough before I bought the car last year. I also had a look underneath, and there was an empty space that was supposedly for the DPF.
RadioactiveX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2018, 10:41 AM   #7
JasTDi
Starter Motor

Great thanks for that, I just assumed that the DPF would be as close to the engine as possible to help with the Regen process.

So a cat converter. Does anyone know what the cell count is?
Old 30-09-2018, 09:05 PM   #8
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
1. If it's the 2.0L (DW) engine then yes it has an additive but I don't believe it's AdBlue. TGo quote:

A metallic catalyst consisting of cerium and iron is used in the fuel additive. Because of it, the soot particles can be burned off faster and the combustion occurs at a lower temperature. Each time after the fuel tank is filled, a metered quantity of fuel additive is injected into the fuel tank where it mixes with the fuel.

The fuel additive tank is located behind the fuel tank and is attached to the cross-member. The volume of the fuel additive tank is 1.8 l and is designed for an total driving distance of 60,000 km. The fuel additive must be topped up in accordance with maintenance instructions. After filling the additive tank, the software of the fuel additive control unit must be reset. This can be done with WDS or manually with the tank flap switch.

2. No.

3. Unlikely to help.
Do you have more info on this? I haven't been able to find anything. I assume the additive was just adding diesel to the filter as during a regen my fuel consumption goes up.
stefcio007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post