Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 10:53 AM   #121
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Will the Holden brand survive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Correct. But its also slower. The numbers don’t lie.

And there’s also the fact one of them is now extinct.
It's only slower because of the weight disadvantage , taking the auto and weight out of the equation the Miami would kill it .....that was my point

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Old 02-05-2018, 02:12 PM   #122
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzman View Post
It's only slower because of the weight disadvantage , taking the auto and weight out of the equation the Miami would kill it .....that was my point
The weight difference is less than people think. Less than 100 kg.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:00 PM   #123
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
But it IS slower.
This user likes this post:
Old 03-05-2018, 10:54 AM   #124
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The weight difference is less than people think. Less than 100 kg.
According to Ford USA site mustang 3705lb ....1680kg fgx xr8 is 1860kg according to Ford Australia that's 180kg like carrying two big passengers in the xr8???

Chuck them in the mustang and see who has the edge

524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Old 03-05-2018, 02:09 PM   #125
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
According to Ford USA site mustang 3705lb ....1680kg fgx xr8 is 1860kg according to Ford Australia that's 180kg like carrying two big passengers in the xr8???

Chuck them in the mustang and see who has the edge
Figures for the aussie mustangs is over 1773kg. Less than 90 kg difference.

Our cars are higher equipped than us base versions.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:01 PM   #126
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Figures for the aussie mustangs is over 1773kg. Less than 90 kg difference.

Our cars are higher equipped than us base versions.

Geez frilly bits are heavy

524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Old 03-05-2018, 05:39 PM   #127
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Back to the original topic, it appears Holden, as predicted, is becoming just a bit player.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Old 03-05-2018, 08:05 PM   #128
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was in a Holden dealer this arvo for yet more warranty work on my Cruze, had a chat to the manager. The place was crickets and tumbleweeds.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 03-05-2018, 09:44 PM   #129
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

with the rumblings out of Dearborn regarding unprofitable areas outside of North America,
FoA would have to be under the microscope......
Old 04-05-2018, 12:31 AM   #130
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
with the rumblings out of Dearborn regarding unprofitable areas outside of North America,
FoA are very profitable right now.
4 users like this post:
Old 04-05-2018, 06:58 AM   #131
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

The holden dealer here took over the old Denmac site as a used car yard some years ago........ It quietly closed up last week.
They are hitting the radio pretty hard up here too......

However they also flog Hyundi n' Tojo & Subies.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:37 PM   #132
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
With all the high profit margin stuff they sell like Wildtrak and XLT rangers, Everest Trend and Titanium and Mustang, I highly doubt that
2 users like this post:
Old 06-05-2018, 07:47 AM   #133
Sioso
irregular member

https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...gether-112429/

Mark Bernhard is the man at the centre of Holden’s battle for Aussie hearts and minds… And he looks haggard

It’s late on a Friday afternoon at ‘Holden House’ in Fishermans Bend and Mark Bernhard is clearly in the fight of his life.

As we sit down to chat, in a quiet corner of the ground-floor cafeteria, he looks more like a World War I battlefield commander than the head of Australia’s own car company.

That’s hardly surprising, since Holden has never looked so bad, or been doing so badly, through the many ups and downs over the past 60 years.

“Crisis? I’m not sure it’s a crisis. That’s your word,” Berhard begins.

“But we need to sell more cars, absolutely.”

How bad is it? Berhard is not going into detail.

“We’re tracking behind where we want to be. I don’t want to tell you how far.”

Bernhard is battling against dismal showroom sales, poor acceptance of the company’s latest products, dealer dissatisfaction, and a pathetic plan to roll through the end of local manufacturing that is clearly not working.

Holden deliberately turned its back on its traditional rusted-on fans while hoping to lure the ‘new Australians’ who are younger, more affluent, and more likely to choose a Volkswagen for their next car. It didn’t work.

“The reality is that we’ve got to appeal to a broad market. We’ve got to do that in a way we appeal to the heartland, but if we only appeal to the heartland you can see what happened to our market share over the past 15 years.

“We have to appeal to today’s Australians,” Berhard says.

As the ZB Commodore and Equinox SUV fail to fire, the Spark is axed as a failure, and Holden resorts to massive price cuts to get the Astra moving, there are people who believe it could be Game Over for the red lion.

General Motors has already tried to sell the company once, as part of the fire sale of Opel and Vauxhall to the PSA Group, despite denials from Holden about any intention to merge it into the French conglomerate.

Now, with many ordinary Australians interpreting last year’s end of Commodore production as ‘Holden is closing’, Bernhard is desperate to turn things around.

“On digital, all the metrics are strong. But we haven’t been able to get them [buyers] to showrooms,” he admits.

“We never had an expectation that the new Commodore would sell in the same numbers as the old Commodore. Equinox is a new nameplate, so it’s taking a while to establish that car.”
Equinox is taking time to establish in a busy SUV market

But it hasn’t taken long to establish the need for change in Holden management, with marketing director Mark Harland gone and former Fishermans Bend staffers Kristian Aquilina and Peter Keiey returning to senior roles.

Aquilina, who did a great job on maintaining support in New Zealand through the manufacturing shutdown, is the new marketing director. Since Harland was openly touted as Berhard’s successor at Holden, Aquilina also emerges as the potential heir.

Keley is making a comeback in the same role he held in the past, sales director, in a move that is already popular with dealers.

But the new team has inherited a massive undertaking.

Holden’s market share is at historical lows below 5 per cent, when Bernhard bet last year that it would not fall below eight.

“Our expectation was not that it would drop below five. I think it’s really on the slower take-up than we had anticipated around Equinox, and to a lesser extent than we expected with Commodore.”

The company is now believed to have more than 12,000 unsold cars sitting at dealerships and in storage, with more boats arriving with pre-ordered cars.

“Your number doesn’t surprise me. I have cars that are on boats everywhere,” he says.

But how can it be fixed?

“Given the passage of time, you work your way through the inventory problem. Does it worry me today? Yes. In one month, less, and in two months, less again.”

He points to the massive advertising blitz around discounted prices and says Holden is launching a big push into July.

“If you have too many cars, you want them just before the end of the financial year.

“I believe we will be back on the track in the second half of the year. Are we going to be able to recover what we lost? Probably not.”

And that’s a big part of the problem.

Frankly, the cars are not good enough and Holden has put its focus in the wrong spots. The Colorado, which is good enough to sell far better, is even being beaten by the Isuzu D-Max despite the tiny dealer network selling the latter.

But Bernhard says he does not see Holden following the Ford model, where it went from the Falcon car company to the Ranger car company to cash-in on the booming demand for utes.

“We’ve got a portfolio to sell. I’m not about to drop all my vehicles except Colorado and Trailblazer, just so I can compete with Isuzu.”

As Berhard gets ready to leave, looking forward to some AFL barracking for the Richmond Tigers whose performance is almost opposite to Holden, he tries for one last positive.

“We have plans in place as we get into 2019 and 2020, and we’re really confident.

“We’ve had some wins. But not enough wins,” he says.
3 users like this post:
Old 06-05-2018, 08:04 AM   #134
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioso View Post
https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...gether-112429/

Mark Bernhard is the man at the centre of Holden’s battle for Aussie hearts and minds… And he looks haggard

It’s late on a Friday afternoon at ‘Holden House’ in Fishermans Bend and Mark Bernhard is clearly in the fight of his life.

As we sit down to chat, in a quiet corner of the ground-floor cafeteria, he looks more like a World War I battlefield commander than the head of Australia’s own car company.

That’s hardly surprising, since Holden has never looked so bad, or been doing so badly, through the many ups and downs over the past 60 years.

“Crisis? I’m not sure it’s a crisis. That’s your word,” Berhard begins.

“But we need to sell more cars, absolutely.”

How bad is it? Berhard is not going into detail.

“We’re tracking behind where we want to be. I don’t want to tell you how far.”

Bernhard is battling against dismal showroom sales, poor acceptance of the company’s latest products, dealer dissatisfaction, and a pathetic plan to roll through the end of local manufacturing that is clearly not working.

Holden deliberately turned its back on its traditional rusted-on fans while hoping to lure the ‘new Australians’ who are younger, more affluent, and more likely to choose a Volkswagen for their next car. It didn’t work.

“The reality is that we’ve got to appeal to a broad market. We’ve got to do that in a way we appeal to the heartland, but if we only appeal to the heartland you can see what happened to our market share over the past 15 years.

“We have to appeal to today’s Australians,” Berhard says.

As the ZB Commodore and Equinox SUV fail to fire, the Spark is axed as a failure, and Holden resorts to massive price cuts to get the Astra moving, there are people who believe it could be Game Over for the red lion.

General Motors has already tried to sell the company once, as part of the fire sale of Opel and Vauxhall to the PSA Group, despite denials from Holden about any intention to merge it into the French conglomerate.

Now, with many ordinary Australians interpreting last year’s end of Commodore production as ‘Holden is closing’, Bernhard is desperate to turn things around.

“On digital, all the metrics are strong. But we haven’t been able to get them [buyers] to showrooms,” he admits.

“We never had an expectation that the new Commodore would sell in the same numbers as the old Commodore. Equinox is a new nameplate, so it’s taking a while to establish that car.”
Equinox is taking time to establish in a busy SUV market

But it hasn’t taken long to establish the need for change in Holden management, with marketing director Mark Harland gone and former Fishermans Bend staffers Kristian Aquilina and Peter Keiey returning to senior roles.

Aquilina, who did a great job on maintaining support in New Zealand through the manufacturing shutdown, is the new marketing director. Since Harland was openly touted as Berhard’s successor at Holden, Aquilina also emerges as the potential heir.

Keley is making a comeback in the same role he held in the past, sales director, in a move that is already popular with dealers.

But the new team has inherited a massive undertaking.

Holden’s market share is at historical lows below 5 per cent, when Bernhard bet last year that it would not fall below eight.

“Our expectation was not that it would drop below five. I think it’s really on the slower take-up than we had anticipated around Equinox, and to a lesser extent than we expected with Commodore.”

The company is now believed to have more than 12,000 unsold cars sitting at dealerships and in storage, with more boats arriving with pre-ordered cars.

“Your number doesn’t surprise me. I have cars that are on boats everywhere,” he says.

But how can it be fixed?

“Given the passage of time, you work your way through the inventory problem. Does it worry me today? Yes. In one month, less, and in two months, less again.”

He points to the massive advertising blitz around discounted prices and says Holden is launching a big push into July.

“If you have too many cars, you want them just before the end of the financial year.

“I believe we will be back on the track in the second half of the year. Are we going to be able to recover what we lost? Probably not.”

And that’s a big part of the problem.

Frankly, the cars are not good enough and Holden has put its focus in the wrong spots. The Colorado, which is good enough to sell far better, is even being beaten by the Isuzu D-Max despite the tiny dealer network selling the latter.

But Bernhard says he does not see Holden following the Ford model, where it went from the Falcon car company to the Ranger car company to cash-in on the booming demand for utes.

“We’ve got a portfolio to sell. I’m not about to drop all my vehicles except Colorado and Trailblazer, just so I can compete with Isuzu.”

As Berhard gets ready to leave, looking forward to some AFL barracking for the Richmond Tigers whose performance is almost opposite to Holden, he tries for one last positive.

“We have plans in place as we get into 2019 and 2020, and we’re really confident.

“We’ve had some wins. But not enough wins,” he says.
The good old “official” spin from Bernard.Read this yesterday,quite interesting though.No doubt he is playing down the seriousness of the issue.They are in a whole lot of trouble no doubt about it.Cheers
Old 06-05-2018, 08:29 AM   #135
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

What else could he say, to reveal any more than the press already knows
would be almost instant death to some dealers - and that's what this will
become, commercial survival of Holden and also its dealer network.

If the story rumors are to be believed, then over 12,000 unsold vehicles at
dealers and holding years with more shipments on the way is a mountain
of trouble - dealers would now be overwhelmed with stock and with some
anecdotal evidence from dealers of almost no foot traffic...my god....

They can't keep turning over Holden's dealer fleet vehicles, making dealers
register new vehicles and selling them as zero km demonstrators.

Commodore was the "rain maker' product that brought everyone else to the
dealers, now that's gone, other models are just dead legging to the almost
inevitable conclusion to this sorry mess.....Cheers.

Last edited by jpd80; 06-05-2018 at 08:38 AM.
6 users like this post:
Old 06-05-2018, 09:41 AM   #136
Sioso
irregular member

Quote:

Commodore was the "rain maker' product that brought everyone else to the
dealers, now that's gone, other models are just dead legging to the almost
inevitable conclusion to this sorry mess.....Cheers.

Couldn't agree more, I was thinking about this the other day, I couldn't come up with a reason to walk into a Holden yard.
The head has been cut from the snake and they are trying to keep its body alive...........

A circa $60K V8 Camaro in both auto and manual could help but even that probably won't save them.

Last edited by Sioso; 06-05-2018 at 09:47 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 06-05-2018, 11:09 AM   #137
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Couldn't agree more, I was thinking about this the other day, I couldn't come up with a reason to walk into a Holden yard.
The head has been cut from the snake and they are trying to keep its body alive...........

A circa $60K V8 Camaro in both auto and manual could help but even that probably won't save them.
Yes but how will Holden match a Factory RHD Mustang without losing their shirts?

HSV converted Camaro is going to be about $20K dearer and there's
no case for GM to do a limited run of RHD Camaro for UK and here.
Ford got the RHD 'Stang through by bundling 25 RHD markets together.

The wheels have come off the Holden business model and frankly,
I don't know how or if GM can put them back on.

Last edited by jpd80; 06-05-2018 at 11:15 AM.
4 users like this post:
Old 06-05-2018, 11:48 AM   #138
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It’s got two main issues

No unique selling proposition - which is what the red commodore provided
They’re a RHD outpost within a company retreating to LHDmarkets

Other contributing factors
Marketing has become a joke - like hipsters really?
Product in many ways is poor and not class leading
Where there is good product there is the overhang from the sale to PSA that supply chain which creates uncertainty in the mind of the buyer
And while astra and commodore are good the residuals are not so why burn the money when you can get a VW?
Or if you were to buy a KIA you get a big warranty and a dealer that doesn’t say they all do that

In short they’re toast once this model cycle is done
5 users like this post:
Old 06-05-2018, 01:53 PM   #139
Sioso
irregular member

Quote:
Yes but how will Holden match a Factory RHD Mustang without losing their shirts?

HSV converted Camaro is going to be about $20K dearer and there's
no case for GM to do a limited run of RHD Camaro for UK and here.
Ford got the RHD 'Stang through by bundling 25 RHD markets together.

The wheels have come off the Holden business model and frankly,
I don't know how or if GM can put them back on.
There is no way they could do it, even the $90K HSV Camaro will turn out to be dearer, I expect minimum $110K on the road.

It would take a big Camaro fan to part with that much money for an NA 6.2 coupe (especially when compared to the final VF2 SSV Redline and current Mustang).
Old 06-05-2018, 02:10 PM   #140
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can’t understand why people are hinting that the Camaro will be the saviour of Holden.
The V2 Monaro sold 13,000 variants during its cycle, and that was at a price that most drivers who wanted one, could afford. ( No counting exports)
The present market for a large coupe is the Mustang and that has been satisfied, even if a fair proportion are 4 cylinder.
Room for a few Camaros ? Probably, but nowhere near Mustang for the projected Oz price.
As for Cadillac, anyone looked their specs ? FWD 4s and V6s. And where is the CTS in their current lineup ?
Will the GM brand survive ? Yep. Selling FWD SUVs in China, and RWD trucks in the US.
Holden will survive. After its parts inventory has been bought out by Rare Spares.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:18 PM   #141
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe they can go back to making saddles.
6 users like this post:
Old 06-05-2018, 03:08 PM   #142
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
The present market for a large coupe is the Mustang and that has been satisfied, even if a fair proportion are 4 cylinder.
Approximately 85% are GTs.
The Ecoboost sales are there but not as much as you'd think....
Old 06-05-2018, 06:38 PM   #143
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:

Every time a new Commodore launched, I would always go down to the local dealer for a look. The new ZB............. couldn't care less. I have only seen two on the road, and one of those was the dealers demonstrator.

One the Mustang / Camaro -
With the Mustang in Fords range, it has drawn people to the brand that would have previously never considered a Ford. Its role has been to not only appeal to the rusted on Ford fans, but also lure customers new to the brand that may end up buying an Endura or Ranger in the future.
Holden lack this at the moment. No product to keep the faithful within the brand, and nothing particularly interesting or anything with a point of difference.

I know they had committed to certain volumes in the final years of local manufacture, but Holden relied to much on the Commodore in those years, as apposed to Ford who [B]deliberately[B] choked Falcon volume and transitioned to other product.

You could see this whole situation was coming from a mile off to be honest. As soon as the lights went out last October they have been a shot duck.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
Old 06-05-2018, 06:39 PM   #144
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Not only that, MY2018 and MY2019 Mustang orders are going really well
2 users like this post:
Old 06-05-2018, 07:00 PM   #145
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Buying a EcoBoost Mustang would be like having sex with your sister - it may feel OK but it is just plain wrong.

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Old 06-05-2018, 08:16 PM   #146
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Buying a EcoBoost Mustang would be like having sex with your sister - it may feel OK but it is just plain wrong.
My Cousin in Mackay traded in her VW Eos on an EB Mustang, got a great deal,
she loves it because it has plenty of go and not heavy on fuel.
Here's a 15 Ecoboost auto with just a tune, RWHP went from 240 stock to 300
and 1/4 mile went from 14.2 to 12.7 ....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJn75u9C3SQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1
Not only that, MY2018 and MY2019 Mustang orders are going really well
Probably why sales have dropped last month, Must be getting to the end soon.

I've heard that the first of the RHD Bullitts were built last month and the plant
has been doing small batches of RHDs for a while so can't be far off now that
the first of the RHD '19s loading up a boat.

Even now, there's a kind of disbelief with the Holden guys regarding the depth of Mustang sales,
they keep going back to the Monaro and claim that all the Mustang sales must be filled by now.
I tell them that Mustang carries it's own sales oxygen, it gets good refreshes that FoA could never
afford to do to a Falcon and that's why those buyers are still lining up to order the new model.

Last edited by jpd80; 06-05-2018 at 08:43 PM.
6 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2018, 02:36 PM   #147
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
There is a market for customers that never grew up knowing the Mustang or V8's for that matter.. but yes its small.

going off topic here, well sort of because it could, relate to the new commodore.

did you know the Mustang was very nearly consigned to a 4 cylinder FWD
but the fans Protested with Thousands of letters.

Rather than abandon all their work Ford released it as the Probe

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...ost-a-mustang/
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Old 07-05-2018, 03:10 PM   #148
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

They tried it again about 10 years ago.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:37 PM   #149
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Opps wrong thread.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:51 PM   #150
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarite_guy View Post
They tried it again about 10 years ago.
Tried what again?

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides