Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-02-2005, 05:58 PM   #1
kempster1

Default Nissan Patrol Automatic gearbox's

Looking at buying a early 90's Nissan Patrol, and it has an automatic gearbox.
I have never had an 4x4 with an auto.
Does anybody know if Nissan have problems with their autos in their 4x4?
kempster1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2005, 08:54 AM   #2
dogbreath_48
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kempster1
Looking at buying a early 90's Nissan Patrol, and it has an automatic gearbox.
I have never had an 4x4 with an auto.
Does anybody know if Nissan have problems with their autos in their 4x4?
check out the forum on www.4wdmonthly.com.au (it's a magazine site, but has a resonably lively forum. But beware, asking how good is a nissan on there is a bit like asking how good a ford is on here (big nissan - toyota rivalry too), but you should eventually get a good straight up answer. That said I've never heard of any major/common problems with GQ auto's, in all my years of magazine reading and forum surfing. If you don't get a decent answer there, try http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/ This forum is more hadrcore-directed but there are still plenty of diehard nissan fans about.
hope i helped a bit.

p.s. if it's a 3 litre petrol (carby RB30) stay the hell away from it, WAY underpowered (especially in an auto), and probably shagged out.

-Stu
dogbreath_48 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2005, 09:47 AM   #3
rob_o

Yeah my sis has a 3.0 GQ Manual and its defeninitly underpowered for a car of that size. Good car however, if I were to buy a 4WD of that size, Patrol would be my first choice.
rob_o is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2005, 12:32 PM   #4
Philbie
Drvtme

Nissan are well known for the quality of there gearboxes and diff's in the 4x4 world. Both 4x4 clubs I belonged too had late and early model nissans in them and their owners had never had any problems with them. Lifting was also not a problem.

What on earth is going on!........i’m Back in the ford camp.....#2019
Philbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2005, 04:08 PM   #5
ford.boy
Prodigal Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbie
Nissan are well known for the quality of there gearboxes and diff's in the 4x4 world. Both 4x4 clubs I belonged too had late and early model nissans in them and their owners had never had any problems with them. Lifting was also not a problem.
he new patrol doesn't look half bad either compared to that shocking toyota thing. :
Old 06-02-2005, 11:19 AM   #6
dogbreath_48
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford.boy
he new patrol doesn't look half bad either compared to that shocking toyota thing. :
ohhh i dunno....those plastic flares with the cutout for the fuel filler don't do it for me...much prefer the old GU (previous). I happen to like the rigid axle front end cruisers - the IFS ones look a bit saggy though..

-Stu
dogbreath_48 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2005, 12:05 PM   #7
rob_o

Yeah I much prefer the GU, the new ones look a bit weird IMO.
rob_o is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2005, 01:33 PM   #8
kempster1

Thanks guy's, I will look at the other sites.
I would not buy the 3 lt as per what you guys said they are under powered. I need the patrol for towing the boat so it would have to have the big six.
kempster1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post