Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-07-2018, 06:26 PM   #1
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Welding fuel tanks

For all those contemplating welding fuel tanks and offering advice to others, I believe you are playing with fire.
It doesn't matter how many times an amateur flushes a tank, or passes inert gases through it, it only takes the smallest error and others will be picking up the pieces of you they can find from all over the place.
You may offer advice and someone tries it following that advice.
One small mistake and that's it.

As much of a temptation it is to do it yourself, I think it's absolute madness.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-07-2018, 06:41 PM   #2
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Welding fuel tanks

Totally agree. I had an aquaintance die whilst actually cuting a hole in a tank.He had considered it safe because it had been empty for a long time,but the fumes were still in the seams.When some “expert” tells you it is safe,you may never know that is wasn,t.WHAT IS YOUR LIFE WORTH??. I,m sure its a bit more than a couple of hundred dollar petrol tank!!
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2018, 06:50 PM   #3
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Ford steel fuel tanks all had their welds done with a certified rolling resistance welder ( with one continuous overlapping weld ).

The tanks were then 100 % pressure tested in plant.

But no one should repair a tank that has been filled.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2018, 06:55 PM   #4
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Totally agree. I had an aquaintance die whilst actually cuting a hole in a tank.He had considered it safe because it had been empty for a long time,but the fumes were still in the seams.When some “expert” tells you it is safe,you may never know that is wasn,t.WHAT IS YOUR LIFE WORTH??. I,m sure its a bit more than a couple of hundred dollar petrol tank!!

I had a friend blown to pieces welding one. Now, it wasn't his first but more likely his hundredth. It was part of his business. He was as careful as but one small spark and that was it.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:51 PM   #5
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

fill it up with water and washing powder

bubbles will put the burns out
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2018, 08:30 PM   #6
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you were writing a cartoon I would laugh,but I think you are serious
2 users like this post:
Old 04-07-2018, 12:52 AM   #7
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi,
I have been using vacuum cleaner to remove flammable gasses, and keep the vacuum cleaner going at full pace through one of the two openings while welding.

As mentioned above, It is better not to weld a fuel tank, but there are times when you cannot purchase a certain fuel tank, for example repair rust in a vintage tank, or a modification such as fitting barbs suitable for EFI.

Cheers
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2018, 09:22 AM   #8
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
For all those contemplating welding fuel tanks and offering advice to others, I believe you are playing with fire.
It doesn't matter how many times an amateur flushes a tank, or passes inert gases through it, it only takes the smallest error and others will be picking up the pieces of you they can find from all over the place.
You may offer advice and someone tries it following that advice.
One small mistake and that's it.

As much of a temptation it is to do it yourself, I think it's absolute madness.
Probably a thread started in contemplation of the work we did on my tank in the Holden thread.

I am not offering advice to others. My advice is that unless you are sure of something you should not do it.

FWIW, that tank was very safe to weld. It had been washed out a number of times and triple checked. It was then filled completely with water before a plate was tack welded to the top of the tank.

Let's list other things you should never do
- Never do work on suspension or brakes unless you are a qualified mechanic.
- Never attempt rust repairs unless you are a qualified panel beater or fabricator.
- Never work on fuel systems. Carbs or injection or replace pumps etc unless qualified to do so.
-Never work on car electrical systems unless a qualified auto electrician.

Maybe we can close the project section and start it up as "cheque book builds" Where we pay people to do all the work on our cars.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:26 AM   #9
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have welded fuel tanks, actually it's the one in my coupe, which is a rare long range tank and quite valuable.

I would never recommend it, as most people these days have the common sense of a common earth worm, and they would be totally unable to do a valid risk assessment. Even though it should be considered a process of natural selection, I would still feel bad if someone blew themselves up just because they took my advice, but were incapable of making the correct assessment. (hence I have never given advice on this topic)

And as LG17 mentioned, even experienced people can come unstuck, I find sometimes experienced people will get complacent and complacency can be deadly in this case.

My assessment and advice is with LG17 don't do it.

Happy 1 and his vacuum cleaner idea is a perfect example of how common sense is lacking and of someone that emergency services workers will be scraping off the shed walls and ceiling provided the shed is still there. Anyone reading this thread, please do NOT take his advice and don't try this at home

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Last edited by XB GS 351 Coupe; 04-07-2018 at 09:31 AM.
XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2018, 09:42 AM   #10
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
Probably a thread started in contemplation of the work we did on my tank in the Holden thread.

I am not offering advice to others. My advice is that unless you are sure of something you should not do it.

FWIW, that tank was very safe to weld. It had been washed out a number of times and triple checked. It was then filled completely with water before a plate was tack welded to the top of the tank.

Let's list other things you should never do
- Never do work on suspension or brakes unless you are a qualified mechanic.
- Never attempt rust repairs unless you are a qualified panel beater or fabricator.
- Never work on fuel systems. Carbs or injection or replace pumps etc unless qualified to do so.
-Never work on car electrical systems unless a qualified auto electrician.

Maybe we can close the project section and start it up as "cheque book builds" Where we pay people to do all the work on our cars.

Yours was one of them that reminded me of the consequences but I certainly didn't mean this as a dig.

There's a massive difference between fixing a bit of rust or doing some mechanical work as opposed to the real chance of blowing yourself up.

It's not about cheque book builds. I guess it's just a personal thing from experience that I believe that it's the one job that should be farmed out.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:17 AM   #11
Work Horse
Budget Racer

I remember years ago, ripping into a mate who wanted to pay a professional to change the exhaust manifold gasket on the six cylinder in his HK Holden. I shamed him into it, explained how easy it was and how it would save him money.

He followed my instructions, except did not disconnect the battery. He wanted to listen to the car stereo while he worked, and left the front doors open so he could hear it.....

He dropped a spanner onto the starter which created a circuit and supplied power to the started. The car was left in reverse, hand brake not applied so began moving backward.

The car was stopped by the door catching the gate posts as it past through a gateway. The doors were so badly damaged they had to be replaced.

Not sure what the moral to my story is...
Old 04-07-2018, 11:55 AM   #12
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We had the fuel tank on the race boat welded a few times.
No problems when done by professionals, they filled it with argon or Halon iirc.

Then one day I was at Greenwood a few years ago and there was an almighty explosion.
Bloke literally blew his double brick house, and himself up. Welding the tank.

If you don't know what you're doing, call someone who does.
It's the fumes that explode not the petrol, when they are empty they are bombs.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-07-2018, 12:42 PM   #13
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

I've welded plenty of fuel tanks.
It's easy if you use your head and have been doing that kind of thing for a long time.

People will blow themselves up or run themselves over no matter what we say...
3 users like this post:
Old 04-07-2018, 01:13 PM   #14
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
I've welded plenty of fuel tanks.
It's easy if you use your head and have been doing that kind of thing for a long time.

People will blow themselves up or run themselves over no matter what we say...
Yeah the first 99 might be good!No 100 just might get you,but you won,t know,so I guess it doesn,t worry you
Old 04-07-2018, 01:22 PM   #15
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The same applies to 44 gal drums that have contained petrol, if you are thinking of cutting the top off, DON'T, It may be the last thing you will ever do.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:59 PM   #16
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Yeah the first 99 might be good!No 100 just might get you,but you won,t know,so I guess it doesn,t worry you
Yeh you're probably right.

I don't think I'll get out of bed tomorrow either as I might fall down the stairs.
Come to think of it, I might not even get up from this computer in case I trip over the dog, break my arm, fall through the floor, lie on the dirt under the house, and then get eaten by a grizzly bear.
To top it off I'll probably go to hell because I'm being such a sarcastic bugger...

That would be bad.
3 users like this post:
Old 04-07-2018, 02:07 PM   #17
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I had a 2000 model Jackaroo a while back and had it converted to gas.
When they install the tanks on them they remove the petrol tank and install a sub tank under the drivers side floor.
I wasnt paying the $2k they wanted to supply a new sub tank and reconnect the petrol so i got them to fit the gas with a primer button and ran it on straight gas for a few weeks.
In that time i sourced a second hand tank from U pull it which had the customery hole in it that they drill to ensure its empty.
I took it to an engineers shop and paid them $80 to seal it up, took it home, fitted the fuel pump from my factory tank which is a straight swap and installed it, put the relay back in, flicked the switch to petrol and away she went.
Stuffed if i'd play around with it for the sake of $80.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2018, 02:46 PM   #18
slowsnake
Banned

Hello,
I must of cut and welded every fuel tank you can imagine, including- a 15 yr old Harley Davidson tank,sliced and tear dropped,underground petrol and diesel tanks from service stations,aluminium truck tanks,converting to 50/50 diesel and hydraulic,boat tanks and car tanks etc,etc.

1- Never touch a tank that is seamed or flanged,unless you really know what you are doing,these are ok if filled to the brim with water,and leave the filler open and make sure to remove sender unit or you have a pressure vessel if there are any air gaps.

2- If the tank is unseamed do the usual soapy water wash and do not fill with water,some tanks hold 30,000 litres of water,its not timely or economical,find a diesel engine car or truck and run a pipe from exhaust into tank,again have 2 openings,even if you have to " drill then fill "

3- Use your commonsense?... Not intelligence or IQ but plain old commonsense,so out in the open,no sheds or garages, no enclosed spaces, and remove everything flammable, including rags and paper not just thinners or petrol products, the preparation is more important than the welding to be carried out!

4- If you have the slightest doubt about doing it then get a professional to do it...believe me there are thousands of experts out there,most are 6 foot underground.

Cheers Billy.

Boilermaker/welder,TAFE qualified.

Coded welder,TAFE qualified.

Welding Supervisor,TAFE qualified.

Just use your bloody commonsense!
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-07-2018, 02:56 PM   #19
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Hello,
Absolutely spot on,commonsense and confidence!
Not sure?..then get someone else to do it!

Cheers Billy.
Old 04-07-2018, 02:59 PM   #20
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Yeh you're probably right.

I don't think I'll get out of bed tomorrow either as I might fall down the stairs.

Come to think of it, I might not even get up from this computer in case I trip over the dog, break my arm, fall through the floor, lie on the dirt under the house, and then get eaten by a grizzly bear.

To top it off I'll probably go to hell because I'm being such a sarcastic bugger...

That would be bad.

No grizzly bears in Australia mate. Other than that all above could happen. Especially as you are quite advanced in age and getting a bit unsteady
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 04-07-2018, 03:03 PM   #21
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
No grizzly bears in Australia mate. Other than that all above could happen. Especially as you are quite advanced in age and getting a bit unsteady
You sure?
I had something the size of a grizzly bear (but much uglier and dumber) sit on me just a few weeks back...
3 users like this post:
Old 04-07-2018, 03:08 PM   #22
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
You sure?
I had something the size of a grizzly bear (but much uglier and dumber) sit on me just a few weeks back...
Hello,
I see you live in NSW,this sheila wasn't named Susan by chance?..from Glenbrook!..looks like a " fridge with a head "..
lol......

Cheers Billy.
2 users like this post:
Old 04-07-2018, 04:01 PM   #23
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
Hello,
I see you live in NSW,this sheila wasn't named Susan by chance?..from Glenbrook!..looks like a " fridge with a head "..
lol......

Cheers Billy.
Could have been, I've been told this bear like being swings both ways, and it definitely had the head you just described.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:19 PM   #24
slowsnake
Banned

Hello,
Could be,we split in 1994,she would be in her 50's now,good wintertime woman,all that fat and fur just was too much in summer,definitely one for winter,cheap heating,lol!

Cheers Billy.

PS..yeh she had a " head like a robbers dog ".....
Old 05-07-2018, 09:50 AM   #25
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wwwwhats that sound? .........is that a banjo playing ?

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2018, 11:18 AM   #26
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzman View Post
Wwwwhats that sound? .........is that a banjo playing ?
Hello,
No,its the sound you heard through your drivers window as my 1962 EK Holden Panel Van blew off your tin can "Ford" back in 1971!
Old 05-07-2018, 12:06 PM   #27
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not exactly something you want to do without understanding the consequences.

I have done it - filled the tank full of water and patched a hole in the tank.

Remember for something to burn you have to give it heat, fuel and air. Remove one and it doesn’t work.

Trick is that any air gaps can contain an explosive mixture.

You really have to be careful and be aware of the risks in doing this, quite a lot of people don’t and that gets them into trouble
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-07-2018, 12:09 PM   #28
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse View Post
Not sure what the moral to my story is...
Maybe we all have our own limits?
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-07-2018, 05:40 PM   #29
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2fairmont View Post
Not exactly something you want to do without understanding the consequences.

I have done it - filled the tank full of water and patched a hole in the tank.

Remember for something to burn you have to give it heat, fuel and air. Remove one and it doesn’t work.

Trick is that any air gaps can contain an explosive mixture.

You really have to be careful and be aware of the risks in doing this, quite a lot of people don’t and that gets them into trouble
Hello,
Another common sense post,that's all it takes to accomplish anything that looks or is dangerous,its just that little voice in your head telling you " I don't really like doing this " and if that happens just walk away and put it in the too hard basket?
Not hard as in complicated but hard as in " how high will I go if it explodes? "...

And one other thing,hydraulic oil tanks are just as if not more volatile than petrol tanks, the fact they are pressurised means that they are much thicker steel,the explosion is like comparing a firework to a stick of dynamite!..just don't go there,unless its open ended or really well ventilated just give it to a professional, they are a pressure vessel,and so is the heat exchanger on your Ford!.." boom...out go da lights "..

Cheers Billy.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:04 PM   #30
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It IS as well to remember that some things can and will kill you.

Slip up with a handsaw, and you may get a nasty gash. Slip up with a chainsaw and you may lose a limb or worse.

Forget to turn the water off before DIY plumbing and you can get bloody wet.
Forget to turn the power off before DIY electrical and you can get bloody dead.

Petrol vapour (and other things such as Propane) are ****ing dangerous.
Years back a boat at the yacht club exploded because he didn't ventilate the bilge after fuelling and the starter motor ignited the vapours.
And I don't mean that it caught fire, it EXPLODED.
He survived only because he was on the flybridge, and was literally blown clear, yet the force of the blast broke his legs.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post