Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-06-2016, 05:31 PM   #2821
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: New to cycling

G`day guys .... and gals ? just sitting home peering out the window thinking of some evil schemes to beat the winter weather .... itching get out on the treadley (bike) , i had some evil thoughts , by all means shoot me down if im talking **** .

My first thought was to chuck a rack on the back of the henry and wizz off to ballarat or bendigo where it appears the weather is a better at the moment (looks like the end of the world out the lounge room window .... i i bloody hate winter ) ....but the thought of doing that daily sounds like hard work and fairly costly in the end.

Another thought was to chuck the bike on the back of the car and go to the nearest public velodrome and ride between inclement weather (indoor velodrome would be a club thing i think these days and mountain bikes are probably not suitable )...... do we still have those public velodromes ???

And my last and best thought .... i think ????
have you been in an area where there is a huge abandoned warehouse ? over the years i have .......... evil thought here ,
if a person found a good one it might be good for a bit of bike treking in the dry , and in the wet weather allow a bit of riding under cover or at least an escape if weather turns seriously nasty .
Some of these warehouse/factories are huge , one of the toll transport warehouses for example (not abandoned but for an example ) , i cant remember the distance around the actual shed , but i think it would be half a k ..... maybe more .
what do you peeps think , any value in any of these ideas ?

if you rode around in a abandoned factory complex/precinct , it may still offer some good under cover riding distance .

although you dont need a massive area , bigger is nice though, i remember as a young buck doing 45 laps of the reservoir velodrome in quick time (that was a long time ago ).
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-06-2016, 05:36 PM   #2822
prydey
Rob

if you don't have an indoor trainer, or riding on a trainer isn't your thing, then by all means look for any option that gets you on the bike if you are keen to ride.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2016, 05:40 PM   #2823
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Fluff the indoor trainer, ****in rain here and most likely tommorrow gonna head out and hit the trails

I agree though ive thought about getting another wheel set up with same rear cassette and a slick tyre and buying an indoor trainer aswell. Just to keep the fitness up a little
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 04-06-2016, 06:03 PM   #2824
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
if you don't have an indoor trainer, or riding on a trainer isn't your thing, then by all means look for any option that gets you on the bike if you are keen to ride.
i do have some indoor stuff , treadmill , weird stepper thing , i bloody hate them though , i may end up having to bite the bullet and use the gear if the dodgey weather and no other options come up .
Old 04-06-2016, 06:42 PM   #2825
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Mik.
You could use Brunswick velodrome but that's outdoors
DISC is on Darebin Rd in Thornbury just off Albert st, IIRC they have come try and club evenings. This is a UCI sanctioned indoor velodrome. You might need to be a club member to ride though.
My advice.
Get a rear guard that attaches to the seat post (30sec on/off) to keep you butt dry.
A thin spray jacket and HTFU.

SKIN IS WATERPROOF!!
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2016, 09:38 AM   #2826
GUTLES
Adam.

Default New to cycling

The best feeling about riding in the cold, wet & or dark is looking at Strava after your ride & seeing everyone else has been on Zwift while you've been out there in it!

I don't mind the rain, with a Shower proof Jacket your ok.

Strong wind & rain isn't fun tho & can be dangerous.

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2016, 01:02 PM   #2827
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUTLES View Post
The best feeling about riding in the cold, wet & or dark is looking at Strava after your ride & seeing everyone else has been on Zwift while you've been out there in it!

I don't mind the rain, with a Shower proof Jacket your ok.

Strong wind & rain isn't fun tho & can be dangerous.
Yeah yeah.. There are times when I CBF going out in it and time does not permit.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:13 PM   #2828
GUTLES
Adam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTpilot View Post
Yeah yeah.. There are times when I CBF going out in it and time does not permit.
Defiantly, I wish I had the time to ride a lot more then I do & it's not hard to loose motivation this time of year!

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2016, 12:48 AM   #2829
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Mik.
You could use Brunswick velodrome but that's outdoors
DISC is on Darebin Rd in Thornbury just off Albert st, IIRC they have come try and club evenings. This is a UCI sanctioned indoor velodrome. You might need to be a club member to ride though.
My advice.
Get a rear guard that attaches to the seat post (30sec on/off) to keep you butt dry.
A thin spray jacket and HTFU.

SKIN IS WATERPROOF!!
Thanks mate , i will check it out , yes i have been meaning to get a rear guard , i fitted one on the front , looking for a rear guard still, i have a pack rack to put more crap on the bike for my extended runs , so im not sure the seat post job would fit , i will sus it though ....... thanks again .
Old 06-06-2016, 08:40 AM   #2830
cuz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi guys,

I'm trying to get back into cycling after my car accident but I'm having trouble with my old trusty MTB.
I now have very bad, constant lower back pain and any minor bumps on my MTB cause me wicked pain, so I need to switch to something more suitable.
After some searching I came across some semi-recumbent, chopper style bike that I think might work for me. Only problem is.... I can't find anywhere to try them out.
Looking for something like this:

I use a recumbent exercise bike at my gym and the riding position is excellent. So I'm hoping it will transfer on to the roads/bike paths in and around Williamstown.
Anyone know of somewhere in Melbourne that can help?
TIA
Old 06-06-2016, 01:56 PM   #2831
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

RRP = $8k, can get it thru a mate via a reputable bike shop for $5k. Yes or no? Frameset only. LOOK 795 Aero 2016

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-06-2016, 02:30 PM   #2832
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Shav, The cyclist (and bloke) in me says "HELL YEAH!!" Where do I sign?
That's like being offered a brand new Lambo for 100k, pick it up tomorrow.

But the realist in me then says...How flexible are you? Thats gonna be a slammed set of handlebars.
Will it suit what you want?
Old 06-06-2016, 03:08 PM   #2833
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^Similar. Yes it's a mad a55 frame, BUT, for $5K you could get a fantastic complete bike, ready to roll..
Old 06-06-2016, 06:24 PM   #2834
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

This is why I ask you lads here. Coz you are logical, unlike me would just say 'shuddup and take my money'.

Very good points by the both of you. I need to be realistic and this is a kickass deal. But in hind sight its as the cliche says, a Ferrari owner but not a Ferrari driver.

As for flexibility, Im not too bad but not that good, if that makes sense. The whole design of the frame is sexual in a lot of different ways. Just looking at it with a set of deep dish wheels has me moist.

The style of riding I want for the next bike is fast flats. So aero positioning is important but not to the point where Im kissing the front wheel. It still needs to be relatively comfortable and look like it goes like a bat out of hell standing still.

Frame design and looks for this next bike is uber important.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
2 users like this post:
Old 06-06-2016, 06:53 PM   #2835
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, let's say you're willing to spend around $7K, which that frame, plus a decent groupset and some wheels would easily put you in to, think about what you could get..

I.E. a Propel Advanced Pro 0, with change! ;)
Old 06-06-2016, 07:57 PM   #2836
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

To do that frame justice you'll need a high end group set and some flash carbon wheels along with some carbon aero bars. I think you'll need to spend $10k to really do it justice. If you've got that and are willing to spend it then go for it.
Group set would need to be Super Record or you might get away with DuraAce.
Fitting it with Ultegra and cheap wheels would just be wrong, despite Ultegra being an outstanding performer.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 06-06-2016, 09:54 PM   #2837
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Was in Total Rush in Melbourne the other week. They had a sick looking Tarmac frame set I n a deep dark blue with metal flake. Having said that they also has a Peter Sagan World Champ frame design too. Both required me to take a moment on my own.
There are some really nice own custom frames about these days.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:03 PM   #2838
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
To do that frame justice you'll need a high end group set and some flash carbon wheels along with some carbon aero bars. I think you'll need to spend $10k to really do it justice. If you've got that and are willing to spend it then go for it.
Group set would need to be Super Record or you might get away with DuraAce.
Fitting it with Ultegra and cheap wheels would just be wrong, despite Ultegra being an outstanding performer.
If I were building that frame I'd go e-tap. Now if only they could make wireless braking too.
3 users like this post:
Old 06-06-2016, 10:51 PM   #2839
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
This is why I ask you lads here. Coz you are logical, unlike me would just say 'shuddup and take my money'.

Very good points by the both of you. I need to be realistic and this is a kickass deal. But in hind sight its as the cliche says, a Ferrari owner but not a Ferrari driver.

As for flexibility, Im not too bad but not that good, if that makes sense. The whole design of the frame is sexual in a lot of different ways. Just looking at it with a set of deep dish wheels has me moist.

The style of riding I want for the next bike is fast flats. So aero positioning is important but not to the point where Im kissing the front wheel. It still needs to be relatively comfortable and look like it goes like a bat out of hell standing still.

Frame design and looks for this next bike is uber important.
Maybe consider a LOOK 695.

They're a f**n awesome looking frame as well, excellent ride and better priced for a full build.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2016, 11:19 PM   #2840
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you can afford it do it if you will be thinking you could have got something for half the price that performs as well as it and regret it don't do it
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2016, 12:00 AM   #2841
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
RRP = $8k, can get it thru a mate via a reputable bike shop for $5k. Yes or no? Frameset only. LOOK 795 Aero 2016

Yes from me .. However, if you're going to pay $5k for the frame , then you do realize it going to be around $10k+ build
Total Rush @ Richmond were recently discounting complete bikes . Look them up and talk to the principal - Simon
Batmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2016, 04:59 AM   #2842
[THOMMO]

Pre ordered a 2016 propel back in 2015 for my 30th. got the bike in October, loved it. 3 weeks later did a charity ride, guy in front crashes, i hit him, broke top tube and chainring ate my forearm

not long later got a replacement and he's some pics of the new one

Old 07-06-2016, 06:17 AM   #2843
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

I think Shav mentioned a while ago that he is looking for the experience of building a bke up from scratch. You can't cheap out on the components if you have a nice frame... defeats the purpose! I found a FB group called Bicycle Market where i bought a few parts cheaper. You can sometimes save on someone eles change of direction.

Nice Giant, Thommo!

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2016, 08:12 AM   #2844
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmobile View Post

Yes from me .. However, if you're going to pay $5k for the frame , then you do realize it going to be around $10k+ build
Total Rush @ Richmond were recently discounting complete bikes . Look them up and talk to the principal - Simon
TR (group) are great for those who like to waste money. They have that same frame set on clearance. $7k complete w/Di2 $13k

Simon is a nice guy, but knows what $$ he can get and will wait for someone to pay it.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:43 AM   #2845
drz250

I have been considering starting cycling but I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to ride on the road because cars around here are often driven by drunks or speeders.

How do you conquer that fear and just ride on the road? What if you get hit or even a run into a parked car?
drz250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2016, 10:31 AM   #2846
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drz250 View Post
I have been considering starting cycling but I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to ride on the road because cars around here are often driven by drunks or speeders.

How do you conquer that fear and just ride on the road? What if you get hit or even a run into a parked car?
Where do you live? Have a look around for dedicated or shared bike paths in your area. Worst case tops the bike in the car and drive to somewhere nearby that has.

Can't say I've ever hit any parked cars, usually I watch were I'm going. ;)
Old 07-06-2016, 10:44 AM   #2847
[THOMMO]

I found that after having a motorbike that raised my bicycle riding confidence on the road
Old 07-06-2016, 11:18 AM   #2848
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Thanks for all your comments guys this is good feedback.

As for groupset I would only go Dura Ace. Id never go less than that on a frame like that. I also have some deep dish wheels but they are not carbon. The handle bars will only suit carbon so there is no skimping there either. I think you guys are right though, I should opt for a cheaper frame and still aim for high end components.

I do like the 695 frame also. If something like that came in at around 3k it would still be a killer option. That said I know I could get a Specialized Venge frame for similar sort of coin to the Look 965 which is a sexy looking design that I love too. Hmm decisions.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 07-06-2016, 12:35 PM   #2849
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If I were building that frame I'd go e-tap. Now if only they could make wireless braking too.
It won't be long, Magura are making wireless dropper seat posts for MTB's..!!
Old 07-06-2016, 12:41 PM   #2850
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Far out Thommo , that accident sounds nasty!!!

Nice choice in bike! (shameless repost of mine)

propel-1 by Dave Bourne, on Flickr

DRZ250 you always have to consider what could happen, but like anything in life, you can't let what could happen dictate your life.

Personally, I choose routes and roads that I feel safer on. I.E. I wouldn't ride on a major road during peak hour.

Just a matter of finding safer places to ride, and if you can incorporate bike paths then bonus! and your confidence will grow.

Shav Don't let us all sound like we are putting a downer on you. If you want to build that puppy up and are happy to spend the cash, then I think we all agree we would LOVE to see you do it.

Just don't discount what you could have for the cash as well.