Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-02-2016, 12:51 AM   #2461
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 
Default Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
Im in love with this bike. But how do I justify the 6.5k price tag???

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTF6
If spending 6.5k on a bike doesn't put you in the poor house then I say go for it. We don't live just to pay bills and die.
Per the above, I do agree. I am just about to part with my 2013 Felt F3 for the same money. This bike owes me just over $13k now...

Not a for sale thread I understand, but 2013 Felt F3, Ultegra Di2 with remote climbing shifter, Dura Ace rear climbing cassette, 3T aero bars, Cosmic Carbone SL wheels, brand new Ceramispeed bearings throughout (done 50km), Garmin Vector Power meter pedals (also done 50km), Garmin 600 thingo, moon rechargeable front and rear lights, New Schwalbe tyres, 2 carbon bottle cages, carbon pump, carbon rear mudguard included, $6500.

I wouldn't have done 1000km on this awesome bike
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-02-2016, 01:03 AM   #2462
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
i took a pic of the new 1300 lumen bike light, wow , maaaagnificent bit of gear i have to say, night riding is not a chore you can see heaps.
i mounted the extension/remote button on the gooseneck , , it worked fantastic , i`ll see if i can upload a pic , a few of clicks of the button and the light is down on lowest setting , 4 levels of brightness and + flashing modes, i think you would getaway around the streets with level 2 , 3 or 4 might be doing a dis service to oncoming pedestrians and motorists. expensive , but worth the dough for serious night riding i think.
Mik, looks like you're riding around with a street light! That throws out a good spread of bright light!
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2016, 01:43 AM   #2463
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
Mik, looks like you're riding around with a street light! That throws out a good spread of bright light!
Indeed Swanny it illuminates the area very well , really that pic did not do it justice ,
the old light 350 or 400 lumen was still quite useable , but after using the new one 1300 L , , you really notice the difference with the extra candle power lighting up everything around you , including animals you often dont see until you are nearly right on them, it makes night riding much safer i think, for a fair percentage of the time i rode with one setting lower than flat stick as i just did not need that much light.
just looking at the specs for this light, (there are couple of 1300 models), and running times , apparently its good for an hour and forty minutes on full power/over drive .
and two hours thirty mins on high power 850 lumen which is still pretty decent.
550 lumen = 3 hours 40 mins
300 lumen up to 9 hours
putting it on strobe would give you a bit more time i think.
there are a few different models some with lesser powerful globes with the 3300 mah battery as this one has, that last longer.
just found the web site(wish id have seeen that before ) has a lot of different models if you are interested or just want to see what is available, the one i have is the X power 1300.

http://www.moon-sport.com/product-list.php?id=10
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2016, 09:34 AM   #2464
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimt3te50 View Post
Per the above, I do agree. I am just about to part with my 2013 Felt F3 for the same money. This bike owes me just over $13k now...

Not a for sale thread I understand, but 2013 Felt F3, Ultegra Di2 with remote climbing shifter, Dura Ace rear climbing cassette, 3T aero bars, Cosmic Carbone SL wheels, brand new Ceramispeed bearings throughout (done 50km), Garmin Vector Power meter pedals (also done 50km), Garmin 600 thingo, moon rechargeable front and rear lights, New Schwalbe tyres, 2 carbon bottle cages, carbon pump, carbon rear mudguard included, $6500.

I wouldn't have done 1000km on this awesome bike
So it's not enough to have an absolute belter of a car, you have to have a belter of a bike too!

I reckon, some time in the future, I'll splurge on Garmin Vector pedals.. then again, maybe not. Don't need cold hard proof that I'm a bludger
Old 23-02-2016, 12:22 PM   #2465
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBourne View Post
So it's not enough to have an absolute belter of a car, you have to have a belter of a bike too!

I reckon, some time in the future, I'll splurge on Garmin Vector pedals.. then again, maybe not. Don't need cold hard proof that I'm a bludger

I have a fused right ankle which basically really limited the exercises and sports I can do, so thought I'd give cycling a go- something I enjoyed from a few perspectives, the technical aspect being a big one.

I was really keen on the Garmin Vectors just to know how my form was left to right. My right leg is quite wasted and being able to see instantly the difference in power between left and right really made my conscious of changing my form. It was quite a difference- 75/25. Sadly, I've only done the one ride with them....

Unfortunately for me, other things took over in my life and I haven't had the fortitude to overcome them as yet.

The bike though, it's an absolute weapon. It sits beside my bed and I hang my jeans on it

I will get back on it.

2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
5 users like this post:
Old 23-02-2016, 02:30 PM   #2466
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Quote:

I joke when I have the bike on the back of the GT that it's me making myself carbon neutral
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
Old 23-02-2016, 05:02 PM   #2467
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: New to cycling

Quote:
I have a fused right ankle which basically really limited the exercises and sports I can do, so thought I'd give cycling a go- something I enjoyed from a few perspectives, the technical aspect being a big one.

I was really keen on the Garmin Vectors just to know how my form was left to right. My right leg is quite wasted and being able to see instantly the difference in power between left and right really made my conscious of changing my form. It was quite a difference- 75/25. Sadly, I've only done the one ride with them....

Unfortunately for me, other things took over in my life and I haven't had the fortitude to overcome them as yet.

The bike though, it's an absolute weapon. It sits beside my bed and I hang my jeans on it

I will get back on it.

I know your kids think your cool , but is it ok for me to think you are as well .
Batmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2016, 09:52 PM   #2468
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Some pics of the new wheels and groupset.

Last edited by geckoGT; 23-02-2016 at 10:09 PM.
geckoGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2016, 11:17 PM   #2469
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Looks good, Gecko! Good idea for the white spoke to show the valve position, seconds count in a race situation. Shows the pedigree of the design.
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-02-2016, 11:53 PM   #2470
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT View Post
Some pics of the new wheels and groupset.

I understand this could thought as a stupid question , so up front I am sorry . Are you a fan of
the 4 arms - attachment points on the right crank arm ?. I am not sure whether it's because it's
new and different as to why I am not sure .
However , I do love the fact that you can run either a compact set or standard from the same crank arms .
Batmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2016, 12:24 AM   #2471
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
Looks good, Gecko! Good idea for the white spoke to show the valve position, seconds count in a race situation. Shows the pedigree of the design.
I noticed that too. I used to always line up the label on the tyre for that reason but Mavic have taken it one further.
Old 24-02-2016, 12:29 AM   #2472
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmobile View Post
I understand this could thought as a stupid question , so up front I am sorry . Are you a fan of
the 4 arms - attachment points on the right crank arm ?. I am not sure whether it's because it's
new and different as to why I am not sure .
However , I do love the fact that you can run either a compact set or standard from the same crank arms .
I prefer the look of five arms but I guess that is what I am used to. I suppose it is because of power meter fitment that all the manufacturers have gone to 4. I suppose I need not worry about the security of 4 arms compared to 5, if the pros don't break them I sure won't.

The flexibility in chain ring choice is a big bonus, especially when you look at the cost of a second set of campag record cranks as $700 is a bit steep just for the sake of changing sizes.
Old 24-02-2016, 10:15 AM   #2473
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:

I will get back on it.
Jim I also have a fused right ankle, and have had for 20 years now. It does not bother me in cycling at all really. How long ago was yours fused?

Your right leg will be shorter so you need to get some cleat spacers to help even it out a little, my right leg is 17mm shorter so I can't make all of it up that way, but I can make some of it up which helps. This is only done so I am not aggravating other things such as hips or back with the leg being out etc.

I never felt it was holding me back in power, but maybe it is I have never used a proper individual leg power meter. But I can pump up some decent watts as nothing is flat around here, I have averaged about 240 watts (calculated off Garmin data by Strava) over five hours before and quite often on shorter segments can pump 400+ in a ten minute burst. Not athlete level but certainly reasonable weekend warrior level.

I did 6000km last year and already have done over 1500km this year with 20,000 metres of climbing in that 1500km. I did 85,000 metres of climbing last year and for the most part of that was over 100kg.

These stats are nothing special but my be good info for you as I also have a fused ankle. Is yours fused for up and down movement, or side to side movement?

Also I really need the float of the yellow cleats, the blues did not give me enough freedom and made knees sore etc particularly on the same side as my fused ankle, which funnily enough has my good knee so that knee never gets sore. Switched back to yellow cleats and soreness gone again.

I understand the wastedness of the right leg scenario, my right calf is half the size of my left, but both quads are pretty huge as I can still work both of the upper legs fine with the fused ankle.

Last edited by mcnews; 24-02-2016 at 10:31 AM.
mcnews is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2016, 12:35 PM   #2474
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ultegra pedals on campag cranks! Don't let the "purists" see you!!!

I've never used campag stuff. What are the differences in feel and operation, compared to Shimano?
Old 24-02-2016, 08:11 PM   #2475
Danny
GT4.

^^ This.

I've got LOOK pedals and an Ultegra Groupset, It was extremey hard on my OCD when I picked up the pedals, but I got them for a good price.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2016, 09:56 AM   #2476
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Same as me, Danny, look pedals with Ultegra groupset (and soon to be look pedals on 105 groupset for my commuter)
Old 25-02-2016, 01:26 PM   #2477
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Ultegra pedals on campag cranks! Don't let the "purists" see you!!!

I've never used campag stuff. What are the differences in feel and operation, compared to Shimano?
I know, I have a set of Look Keo's here so perhaps I had better put them on. Although I prefer the Shimano pedal.

I will write up a bit of a review about the groupset, wheels and tyres soon when I have done a few more rides and more used to them (particularly the groupset).
Old 25-02-2016, 04:04 PM   #2478
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another crash today !!
Old 25-02-2016, 04:06 PM   #2479
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTF6 View Post
Another crash today !! image
ouch.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2016, 04:12 PM   #2480
prydey
Rob

Quote:
+4 on the ouch. Bet some choice words were used.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2016, 04:17 PM   #2481
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
+4 on the ouch. Bet some choice words were used.

That's only some of it, there was more on my quad too. Not sure if the shin damage is from the rocks or my new pedals!
Old 25-02-2016, 04:29 PM   #2482
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
That's only some of it, there was more on my quad too. Not sure if the shin damage is from the rocks or my new pedals!

Hope its not serious and you heal up fast. Nothing worse than having a crash and being off the saddle for weeks on end.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2016, 12:53 AM   #2483
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Looks like a pedal bite to me, what pedals are you using? The lacerations look evenly spaced like the teeth on a pedal.
Old 26-02-2016, 01:27 AM   #2484
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Yeah that's a nice one lol.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2016, 09:23 AM   #2485
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT View Post
Looks like a pedal bite to me, what pedals are you using? The lacerations look evenly spaced like the teeth on a pedal.

Blackspire, 20 pins per pedal. Although the the rock I went down on looked like a thousand bread knives.
Old 27-02-2016, 01:18 AM   #2486
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll see you and raise ya an elbow, two shoulder ligaments and a grazed hand .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160105_163237.jpg (135.5 KB, 17 views)
Old 27-02-2016, 10:11 AM   #2487
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

I did a great pedal 70km loop in Mallorca today on a hired bike. Was epic. One of my best rides ever. Cycling mecca. Trevor Hedge on Strave if you want to check out route and some pics as putting pics here is too painful.
6 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2016, 12:26 PM   #2488
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ooh a nice good friction burn, they hurt like hell and take ages to heal.
Old 27-02-2016, 12:47 PM   #2489
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ooh a nice good friction burn, they hurt like hell and take ages to heal.
indeed mate , taking a while to heal to i might add(maybe im just getting old ? ),
i would not have thought before hand that taking a fall on loose sandy stuff would do so much damage, i dont think i was going overly fast when i hit the deck , estimate probably 15 kph ? looking at it on the plus side a bit of a tumble and some pain gave me a reminder it hurts when you crash and to be a little more cautious on future rides.
Old 27-02-2016, 02:01 PM   #2490
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Geez mate.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8