Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 24-05-2006, 07:44 PM   #151
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb5speed
g-tech...pffft get it on an actual drag strip and get times done. and for all this raving and ranting about how good the vn's and vp's are i believe that this a ford forum how bout u go to the holden forum and continue with your babbling. you can join the rest of the bogans in the nation with talking about how there standing vn beat a 10 second wrx and how they gave a lambo a run up to 300km. go weld you diff and do some fully sick twinnies ulleh
I have run my car on the track, but it just happens that I also own a V8 VP so I'm not exactly going to take the V6 when the V8 is almost second quicker am I do you know how slow a 14.6 second 5 liter Commodore feels when your lined up against a 10 second Torana or even a 12.5 second VX ls1, it feels sloooooooooooow at least untill you get up and running and by then they are long gone, I'm not a fan of being even more embarrassed by running the V6 .

The fact is the VN V6 will run under 16 seconds on the 1/4 mile. and it is the fastest V6 Commodore along with the VP (VN is a bit quicker) until the VZ manual SV6, there's no point to argue about it anymore. I'm all for saying the V6 is a crap motor I say it all time, 15.5 and over in my opinion is a very slow car but that's what it does. We also have a AU in the family and while some things about it are better? well a matter of opinion but driving a VN on gravel roads is not the safest thing you can do because they are constantly snaking around even going slow and if your a Ford driver and not used to that then the AU would seem better. The AU doesn't rattle goes ok, althought alot slower than the VN, the AU has a million times better brakes etc. I don't like the AU's kradical lock up the brake when you hardly touch it setup and touchy throttle since I'm used to driving the Commodores. But in a straight line the VN is alot faster
Old 24-05-2006, 08:15 PM   #152
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam
do you know how slow a 14.6 second 5 liter Commodore feels when your lined up against a 10 second Torana or even a 12.5 second VX ls1, it feels sloooooooooooow at least untill you get up and running and by then they are long gone
It is irrelevant how slow a 5.0 commodore is compared to 10-12.5 second cars because we are talking VN-P V6 and early i6 falcons.
Having said that it would be unfair to compare a vn to anything other than a EA 3.2/3.9, 3sp auto gl as this was the lowest equipment level available at the time.
Now who wants to back a CFI 3.2/3,9 against a 30 yr old 3.8l V6
Old 24-05-2006, 09:04 PM   #153
pandaman
Back in Blue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
It is irrelevant how slow a 5.0 commodore is compared to 10-12.5 second cars because we are talking VN-P V6 and early i6 falcons.
Having said that it would be unfair to compare a vn to anything other than a EA 3.2/3.9, 3sp auto gl as this was the lowest equipment level available at the time.
Now who wants to back a CFI 3.2/3,9 against a 30 yr old 3.8l V6
Lay off would ya, he was explaining why he hasn't run the v6 down the quarter, seemed reasonable enough to me.

Oh and I dunno why all you lot are getting so fired up about the idea of a VN/VP being quicker in straight line than an EA/EB. It's simple gearing and weight, the first gear in the VN is 3.06:1, the ford 4 speed had a first gear of 2.39:1 (I'm ignoring series 1 ea's because there is no question as to how slow they are in auto form), second gear is also shorter for the commodore. The two engines developed similar power and torque (ok slightly less for the commo) and according to the manufacturers the commodore was slightly lighter. 3.08 diff in the holden 3.23:1 in the ford, bugger all difference there. Do the maths and it's really not so hard to believe a stock VN will take out a stock E-series 6. Might even crack 15's on the quarter, hell there are enough timeslips going around on commodore forums to prove it.

Back in Blue baby!
Old 24-05-2006, 09:45 PM   #154
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
ok my previous statements may be harsh but im sorry i still stand by them, you ever done 200k's in a commodore??? that the VX SS i did was not wanting to stop after and the VX felt very touchy at that speed i would HATE to be in a VN/VP at the speed :S

everything from ED onwards except XR manuals were limited to 180, or like me the chip has been removed but still not a good idea for 200+km/h cruising it took 1.5k of suspention mods to mine to make it feel stable i dont see how a vn on 185/65/14' rims tyres doing 200 km/h is going to feel stable or one even on 205/60/15's.... nothing does except maybe a clio sport...

5.0L commos sound hot i will admit that and the 5.7L stroker aussie v8 was sensational with a set of decent pipes but the V6 sounds like a strangled cat at high rpm and nothing.... nothing will change the fact its a 60's buick cut down v8 they were forced to use at short notice and had the NVH of a jackhammer.
I remember watching 5th gear and they bought a supercar and wanted to get 300km/h out of it done up the turbo and done the suspension and brakes, He was complaining about it @ 200km/h have to be very careful with steering imput here he said.

My car runs 215's at the rear, and I'm looking at getting 225's on the rear soon with a lowering because i actually like a stiffer bodied car under me.
But I'll say it till I'm blue in the face (Or red) I recorded my car today bouncing off 5000rpm in 2nd going on the highway, Recorded in the car on the dash with my phone. If anyone can tell me how to get that on here i will prove you wrong there is no pussy cat or jackhammer or even asthma.
Old 24-05-2006, 10:00 PM   #155
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
If anyone can tell me how to get that on here i will prove you wrong there is no pussy cat or jackhammer or even asthma.
I wouldn't worry about it too much SlickHolden. As long as you're happy with your car then that's all that matters.
Comments like UNR8D's are simply designed to stir s**t and do nothing but display lack of maturity and intelligence, and highlight the ignorance and narrow mindedness of the person posting them.
Old 24-05-2006, 10:17 PM   #156
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
I wouldn't worry about it too much SlickHolden. As long as you're happy with your car then that's all that matters.
Comments like UNR8D's are simply designed to stir s**t and do nothing but display lack of maturity and intelligence, and highlight the ignorance and narrow mindedness of the person posting them.
You have made my day
Old 24-05-2006, 10:19 PM   #157
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Quote:
I recorded my car today bouncing off 5000rpm in 2nd going on the highway, Recorded in the car on the dash with my phone. If anyone can tell me how to get that on here i will prove you wrong there is no pussy cat or jackhammer or even asthma.
They are a shocking thing mate, and they sound terrible !!

We also have a VY Exec series 2 wagon, its ok until you rev it over 4000rpm, after 4000 it gets all thrashy and breathless, like a 85 year old with emphysema that has just ran 200 metres !!

You obviously havent been in a BA/BF I6 to compare them.
Old 24-05-2006, 10:23 PM   #158
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290

We also have a VY Exec series 2 wagon, its ok until you rev it over 4000rpm, after 4000 it gets all thrashy and breathless, like a 85 year old with emphysema that has just ran 200 metres !!

You obversely haven't been reading the whole thread!
My brother owns a BA Fairmont and i hired a Ford Territory for Bathurst last year i drove the en thing 2000km. And do you know how happy i was to step back into my own car;).
Old 24-05-2006, 10:23 PM   #159
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:

thank-you! now i dont feel like doing this : i drove a VZ in adelade for a week while i was down there... i thought they would have been better they are defentaly smoother but still very course up high in the revs...

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
Old 24-05-2006, 10:24 PM   #160
Doctor Sodways
South African Drift King

Ive been in a BF XR6, they dont sound much better at higher revs, the XR6Ts sound good, but the NA things are horrible, any car with a stock exhaust, maybe bar a bent 8 sounds crap

WWW.BRASSMUNKYMEDIA.COM.AU
Old 24-05-2006, 10:24 PM   #161
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

STEVZ- i work in the car industury, i drive for a living and have driven plenty, im not a 15yo punk kid that is taking someones word for it ffs, take critisizm when it is due.

Old 24-05-2006, 10:25 PM   #162
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
thank-you! now i dont feel like doing this : i drove a VZ in adelade for a week while i was down there... i thought they would have been better they are defentaly smoother but still very course up high in the revs...
Make up your mind man it's Buick ecotec or bloody alloytech your going on about.
Old 24-05-2006, 10:30 PM   #163
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Make up your mind man it's Buick ecotec or bloody alloytech your going on about.
The only thing missing here is :
Old 24-05-2006, 10:33 PM   #164
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Quote:
You obversely haven't been reading the whole thread!

I havent actually wasted my time reading the utter garbage that has been posted on this thread!!

As long as you are happy with your V6. :
Old 24-05-2006, 10:37 PM   #165
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
I havent actually wasted my time reading the utter garbage that has been posted on this thread!!

As long as you are happy with your V6. :
Well i guess I'm not as happy with it as some are unhappy with it. Guess they would know best afterall it's only my car lol:P.
Is it utter garbage because it was a holden brought up on a FF. Because it wasn't by me.
Old 24-05-2006, 10:40 PM   #166
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

ok BUICK = rattly boat anchor above 4000 sounds like it wants to implode and distory its self.

ecotech = a slug verson of the above slightly refined

alloytech = in no where land has nothing till 4000 then sounds like a hoover on steroids and wants to go but just cant... edited they have potential i believe and are a much better v6 than the last attempt.

Old 24-05-2006, 10:41 PM   #167
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaman
Lay off would ya, he was explaining why he hasn't run the v6 down the quarter, seemed reasonable enough to me.
Whoa! settle down there Silver, I wasn't havin a shot at him as i dont want this thread closed.
My point is that this started as a comparison between a V6 VP commodore ute and a V8 ED falcon. In between there and here we have had every excuse and negative point from crash tests to dodgy brakes, stability at high speed to rattly pistons and everything in between and the fact of the matter is VP COMMODORES ARE QUICKISH EY!
To say throw big dollars at a V8 falcon and beat him should be an embarassment to the motor.
Old 24-05-2006, 10:49 PM   #168
stevz
Banned

Quote:
ok BUICK = rattly boat anchor above 4000 sounds like it wants to implode and distory its self.
The Falcon 6 of the same era sounds no better above 4000rpm so what is your point?

Quote:
ecotech = a slug verson of the above slightly refined.
I would say they were a fair bit more than 'slightly refined'. You say you have driven all these cars yet the way you talk it's like you've never even been in one.

Seriously if the people that own these cars are more that happy with them then what has it got to do with you? If you are happy with what you own then why do you have the constant need to degrade the competition to achieve some sort of self gratification? Ever heard the saying live and let live?
Old 24-05-2006, 10:54 PM   #169
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Quote:
Well i guess I'm not as happy with it as some are unhappy with it. Guess they would know best afterall it's only my car lol:P.
Is it utter garbage because it was a holden brought up on a FF. Because it wasn't by me.

The V6 Buick derived Holden motor has been the laughing point of Holden for years, no motoring journo's like it, HSV played with a 180s/c version, and couldnt sell any, what more proof do you want ???

I own one, and i have driven VN's through to VY's, the motors got progessively better with each model, with the VN ranking as one of the worst cars i have ever owned, and the VY not being a bad car.....its a good car for the family and pottering around, but as i said earlier.....the V6 IS A BREATHLESS, NOISY AND UN REFINED MOTOR, compared to the BA I6.

Oh, and btw, why are there so many more Falcon I6 Taxis around than V6 Commodores?????The Falcon I6 lends itself better to LPG conversion and is a FAR more durable motor than the V6.
Old 24-05-2006, 10:58 PM   #170
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes they are quick...............to fall apart
Old 24-05-2006, 11:05 PM   #171
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:

but as i said earlier.....the V6 IS A BREATHLESS, NOISY AND UN REFINED MOTOR,
It amuses me that you use these words to describe a factory V6, yet again this started as a comparison between buick and windsor

The windsor is better compared to doing the 100 meters sprint with a plastic bag over your head.
Old 24-05-2006, 11:07 PM   #172
stevz
Banned

Quote:
The V6 Buick derived Holden motor has been the laughing point of Holden for years, no motoring journo's like it, HSV played with a 180s/c version, and couldnt sell any, what more proof do you want ???

I own one, and i have driven VN's through to VY's, the motors got progessively better with each model, with the VN ranking as one of the worst cars i have ever owned, and the VY not being a bad car.....its a good car for the family and pottering around, but as i said earlier.....the V6 IS A BREATHLESS, NOISY AND UN REFINED MOTOR, compared to the BA I6.

Oh, and btw, why are there so many more Falcon I6 Taxis around than V6 Commodores?????The Falcon I6 lends itself better to LPG conversion and is a FAR more durable motor than the V6.
From my experiences the V6 in the VY is just as smooth, quiet and refined as the BA I6 in normal everyday driving under 4000rpm. Not a bad achievement for a pushrod motor compared to a dohc. Admittedly they are noisier and harsher above this, but who buys one of these cars to sit at redline all day anyway?
As for the taxis, yes you are right about the ford 6 being far better suited to lpg. Lpg significantly shortens the life of the V6 for some reason, however when run on petrol and serviced regularly they can be just as durable and I have seen a few examples with 400,000km+ still running well.
Old 24-05-2006, 11:13 PM   #173
Rollin
Banned

LOL this thread is funny!!!!

commo V6 = poo, and I reckon I have driven more of them than everyone who has posted in this thread put together.

In stock form, over 400m, a vn/vp/vr/vs/vt/vx MAY beat its equivalent model I6 falcon, but it will be a much nicer drive for the person in the I6, and does anyone on either here or the holden forums really care about the stockers?

Start with a manual version of each car, throw 1500 bucks at aforesaid vehicles and you will see why the I6 is a superior motor to the V6.

Throw 14psi into each (dead stock) engine and then run down the quarter until one of them dies - Not only will the I6 live longer, but it will be quicker every time...
Old 24-05-2006, 11:17 PM   #174
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
It amuses me that you use these words to describe a factory V6, yet again this started as a comparison between buick and windsor

The windsor is better compared to doing the 100 meters sprint with a plastic bag over your head.

It amuses me that the thread turned to Sh*& in the 1st page !

Maybe you should try a paper bag instead of a plastic one next time you go for a run, you may be able to breathe better.

I wasnt talking about a Windsor, i was stating that the BA I6 is a much more refined motor FULL STOP, at any revs than a V6 VY Commodore, both stock standard. :
Old 24-05-2006, 11:19 PM   #175
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin

commo V6 = poo, and I reckon I have driven more of them than everyone who has posted in this thread put together.

In stock form, over 400m, a vn/vp/vr/vs/vt/vx MAY beat its equivalent model I6 falcon, but it will be a much nicer drive for the person in the I6, and does anyone on either here or the holden forums really care about the stockers?

Start with a manual version of each car, throw 1500 bucks at aforesaid vehicles and you will see why the I6 is a superior motor to the V6.

Throw 14psi into each (dead stock) engine and then run down the quarter until one of them dies - Not only will the I6 live longer, but it will be quicker every time...
That is why Holden should've kept the RB30 going, or made another I6.

Alot of people still regard the RB30, as one of the best engines ever used in a Holden.

RB30>Buick V6 :hihi:
Old 24-05-2006, 11:24 PM   #176
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin

commo V6 = poo, and I reckon I have driven more of them than everyone who has posted in this thread
Well i'm the bloke from holdens who's been drivin em off the end of the line for 15 years so i've driven a few too!!!!!!

Nah, not really!!..... but if i was i would stamp my feet and say they are quick and no one can argue cos i have driven the most. :
Old 24-05-2006, 11:29 PM   #177
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

agree 100% ryan, the buick was a rush job and has to be by far the most unrefined V6 i have EVER driven, 3.0L camry's are a goo example of how smooth a v6 can be or the VG v6 in the 350Z/Maxima.

Old 24-05-2006, 11:29 PM   #178
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:

Maybe you should try a paper bag instead of a plastic one next time you go for a run, you may be able to breathe better.

I wasnt talking about a Windsor, i was stating that the BA I6 is a much more refined motor FULL STOP, at any revs than a V6 VY Commodore, both stock standard. :
well now see, all this time and it took you to get personal and nasty
And your point is noted but again this is about VP V6 commodores and not about BA i6 or VY's for that matter
Old 24-05-2006, 11:52 PM   #179
Rollin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan
That is why Holden should've kept the RB30 going, or made another I6.

Alot of people still regard the RB30, as one of the best engines ever used in a Holden.

RB30>Buick V6 :hihi:
I agree with you there, RB30 PWN3S V6s heheh.

Quote:
Nah, not really!!..... but if i was i would stamp my feet and say they are quick and no one can argue cos i have driven the most.
I meant actually driven, not just off one car carrier onto another - driven for the purpose of testing and evaluation, reproduction of customer complaints etc.
Old 24-05-2006, 11:57 PM   #180
TotalDriver
Dedicated to Safety....

I can't believe you lot are still going over this OLD GROUND!

It's a good read though. Funny as all 5hit!

Cheers,