Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #151
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: Commodore Anyone?

Interesting comments from Bob Graziano today, he said that from 2016/7 the Commodore will be based on the Malibu global platform, and he said it like it was fact. I don't know wether he knows that for a fact or it was just his educated opinion but it was interesting to hear.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2013, 06:34 PM   #152
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Interesting comments from Bob Graziano today, he said that from 2016/7 the Commodore will be based on the Malibu global platform, and he said it like it was fact. I don't know wether he knows that for a fact or it was just his educated opinion but it was interesting to hear.
It has been confirmed that the next "Commodore" badged vehicle will be based on a global GM platform, so that would make sense. Also the size of the current Malibu and the fact that Holden are introducing the Malibu to the market are also pointers.
Old 28-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #153
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I thought the Alpha RWD platform was also an option.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #154
stevz
Banned

I can't see it (fwd Commodore) happening, as they would be well aware of the extreme backlash and irreparable damage it would cause to the nameplate.
If true, they may as well pack up and leave after the last VF rolls off the line.
I guess time will tell....
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #155
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz View Post
I can't see it (fwd Commodore) happening, as they would be well aware of the extreme backlash and irreparable damage it would cause to the nameplate.
If true, they may as well pack up and leave after the last VF rolls off the line.
I guess time will tell....
the electric commo is FWD, that's it.

super epsilon II is the next platform as far as I know.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2013, 07:52 PM   #156
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
Well wanting to buy Australian made cars I will only have two brands to choose from. I'd rather be part of the cardigan brigade than associate myself with knuckle draggers.
What does this make me....I own a Commodore.....I own a Fairlane....I own a wogbox..... I do a lot of work with Toyotas.....

A decent knuckle dragging wog cardigan wearer?

Don't tarnish everyone with the same brush, just because of a small minority....

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2013, 07:56 PM   #157
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Do any of you fellow members really think Holden isn't going to follow suit after Ford regarding manufacturing in Oz?
Really?

Firstly, the components suppliers are not going to be able to supply the same products at the same prices due to economies of scale, so the cost of commodore goes up.

Secondly, Ford are copping criticism all over the media at the moment for receiving 1 billion dollars over the last 10 years of taxpayer funds. No one has mentioned Holden has received 2.5 billion of taxpayer funds over the same period.

Thirdly, Ford auto workers are on an average of 100-110K pa; Holden workers are on a massive 120-130K pa, and the union will have less car factories to be active in so you can bet there'll be more stoppages at Holden.

Fourthly we have a government who are dictated to be John Mc 457 Visa that has since coming to power stopped buying Australian Made cars.

Finally, you've had Bob Graziano and the guy at GM in the USA talking about the SS being produced in the USA from 2016 on, do we need a slide rule to work it out?

Holdens recent reaffirmation of production beyond 2016 is merely because we have a stupid government led by an even stupider twit who only knows how to remedy things by throwing money at it. Holden is on the proverbial government teat. Just last year Govco gave them 200 million and that same day, all the staff got a 6% pay increase every year for the next three years. Trust me, Holdens business case is worse than Fords. Should I care about a sheltered workshop like Holden where no ordinary person can get a job unless they know some union bum who's never done an honest days work in his life? Hell no. To bastardise a Chopper Reid saying; "Holden can Get ********d"

Ford went first due to pressure from Detroit where after 14 consecutive quarters of profit Ford management are culling any loss leader that can detract from the brands miracle survival through the GFC when GM and Chrysler received government bailouts and Ford didn't because of their prudent strategy. Their 14 profitable quarters is partly because people hate companies that cannot survive without government support - as evidenced here.

I'll buy a Fusion, an F250 and a mustang simply because all this time, Ford Australia has been part of Ford America and whilst I feel bad for those about to lose their jobs- Ford workers have foregone pay-rises and the largesse of Holden to keep their jobs; I still love a brand which was able to manage itself beyond a financial crisis and design cars that people want to buy. Ford all the way baby.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2013, 09:16 PM   #158
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd View Post
Thirdly, Ford auto workers are on an average of 100-110K pa; Holden workers are on a massive 120-130K pa,
120-130K pa for a production line worker? Where did you get these figures from?
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2013, 09:36 PM   #159
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
I would say he mean's O/T included, let's say $50 an hr (avg) 50 hr week +, could easily add up to that amount.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2013, 09:37 PM   #160
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd View Post
Do any of you fellow members really think Holden isn't going to follow suit after Ford regarding manufacturing in Oz?
Really?

Finally, you've had Bob Graziano and the guy at GM in the USA talking about the SS being produced in the USA from 2016 on, do we need a slide rule to work it out?
Dan Amman GM VP and CFO was on a podcast recently and stated that GM prefer to setup and manufacture near their customers and build the car in a location that has the same currency as their customers to avoid unknowns like international currency fluctuations and provide some stability for their operations. This is a global policy of GM and isn't consistent with your theory of GMH. He went on public record to say this, so I doubt he decided to just make this stuff up.

Holdens export programs for Commodore are small and clearly about meeting volumes, so the Elizabeth plant remains viable. Not looking at massive exports everywhere. I would well imagine if the SS or Police programs do really take off, that NA production is likely. I'm equally sure that GMH would be given some niche to fill with its products so it wasn't adversely affected. This again, is consistent with the GM global view and what executives with GM have been trying to do for Holden in the past few years.

His comments on decontenting cars and what that leads to in respect of meeting customer expectations was interesting too, given how often Ford Australia tried this trick. Right up to this year in fact.

The podcast is worth a listen. I think if you reflect on what he says you get a sense of what VF Commodore and Holdens place in Australia is about from GM's point of view. My take is if they can find a way to get both sides of politics to suppport them, Holden isn't going anywhere, anytime soon.

In the end because one American company has a policy at the moment to pull the pin on factories around the world (Ford) we dont need to wish it on their competitor in the form of GM. Especially when Australian jobs are at stake.
http://www.autoline.tv/show/1717

Last edited by DanielXR8; 28-05-2013 at 09:47 PM.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-05-2013, 09:44 PM   #161
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8 View Post
Dan Amman GM VP and CFO was on a podcast recently and stated that GM prefer to setup and manufacture near their customers and build the car in a location that has the same currency as their customers to avoid unknowns like international currency fluctuations and provide some stability for their operations. This is a global policy of GM and isn't consistent with your theory of GMH. He went on public record to say this, so I doubt he decided to just make this stuff up.

His comments on decontenting cars and what that leads to in respect of meeting customer expectations was interesting too, given how often Ford Australia tried this trick. Right up to this year in fact.

The podcast is worth a listen. I think if you reflect on what he says you get a sense of what VF Commodore and Holdens place in Australia is about from GM's point of view. My take is if they can find a way to get both sides of politics to suppport them, Holden isn't going anywhere, anytime soon.

Toyota have said similar things, they like to build where their customer are, and like to source components where they build their cars - also because of currency.

I think Toyota will build Rav4 here, but they have been talking about a new local product for a thousand years.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2013, 09:44 PM   #162
BossBrand
Starter Motor

I just want a quality Aussie made rwd performance car! I have owned fords and holdens and love them both for different reasons.. Now I guess it'll be a FG3? GT next and then after that a Holden something!
BossBrand is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2013, 11:04 PM   #163
Terror_Tree
SZ II TS Territory-Black

I have never owned a holden and never will. My next new car will be a Ford, or a BMW if I win lotto.

FWD is the Devils work
Terror_Tree is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2013, 11:17 PM   #164
BossBrand
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8 View Post

Holdens export programs for Commodore are small and clearly about meeting volumes, so the Elizabeth plant remains viable. Not looking at massive exports everywhere. I would well imagine if the SS or Police programs do really take off, that NA production is likely. I'm equally sure that GMH would be given some niche to fill with its products so it wasn't adversely affected. This again, is consistent with the GM global view and what executives with GM have been trying to do for Holden in the past few years.

In the end because one American company has a policy at the moment to pull the pin on factories around the world (Ford) we dont need to wish it on their competitor in the form of GM. Especially when Australian jobs are at stake.
Makes sense.. give local consumers what they want.. Not this global one bullcrap we're about to have dished down our throats
BossBrand is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2013, 11:48 PM   #165
atmoxr6

aren't holden goin to drop the commodore nameplate after VF. malibu is being released midyear, assembley of malibu in oz after commodores gone mabey ?
atmoxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #166
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Have a friend who when living in Adelaide for 5 years, worked at Holden for 3 of them.
He said he was on around $120K (in 2004) and had a certain amount of overtime guaranteed to him every week. Even if there was no need for overtime, he would have to show up, clock in and find something to do (like sweep the floor - look busy).
This mate is an auto electrician by trade and has had to work hard since entering the work force. He said compared to any other place he's worked that Holden are the laziest bunch of people he's ever met. He was routinely told to slow down. With a mortgage he managed to stay there for three years, but frustrated he left Holden and took a massive pay cut to work elsewhere. He was also a die hard Holden fan until he worked for them.

Quote: