Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-05-2015, 10:56 AM   #1681
prydey
Rob

Default Re: New to cycling

bluey - are you on stava?
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2015, 11:22 AM   #1682
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT View Post
Yes
I'm a sucker for scenery as well. My legs stop, I jump off the bike and I just suck it in for a minute and then I'm off again.

How many klms are you guys doing a week ?
I'm trying to do 100.
2 x 40 KLM rides weather permitting and then I'll cheat and do 2 x10 KLM rides on my stationary trainer.
I'm not quite there yet....but close !!
This is what cycling is all about for me. I just love the freedom. Some get into the competition factor which is fine. But I dont find enjoyment in flogging myself to death. I will push it to get to the next destination, but not at the sacrifice of my body. Great job.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-05-2015, 11:43 AM   #1683
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmobile View Post
Whilst I agree , if you are relatively new cycling , how you manage your cadence is paramount . However, do not make the mistake , of seeking a specific cadence range without reference to speed .
That is, as a very rough guide , I would be seeking a cadence of 80+ with a road speed of 30k/ph on the flats (39/16 say) and on hills of 5-6% I would be seeking similar cadence with a road speed of around 20k/ph (39/19)
Then, as your fitness improves , and your leg strength and action improves , at first use the same cadence , and move down the cassette , that is , flat road , 39/15 , and same hill 39/17 , and so on
Very good points there. Most find that if they stay in a good efficient cadence at the perceived exertion that they want, speed will come as a normal response. As leg strength improves the cadence becomes easier to maintain and gearing up becomes an option, which results in a higher speed. My last coach that helped me prepare for Ironman always structured my training around cadence, HR zone and duration rather than the old method of speed and distance.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:00 PM   #1684
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Yes
I'm a sucker for scenery as well. My legs stop, I jump off the bike and I just suck it in for a minute and then I'm off again.

I'm trying to do 100.
2 x 40 KLM rides weather permitting and then I'll cheat and do 2 x10 KLM rides on my stationary trainer.
Too right!

One of my favourite rides at the moment is up Beechmont from Canungra. It starts with a climb of 5km long with a 8% average, it then levels off on top of the mountain to a undulating ride with short climbs and the most sensational views over the Gold Coast Hinterland with nice quiet roads. Just the sort of environment that reminds you why cycling is so great.

I normally aim for 350km a week, I am up to 190 now but that will probably be it for this week as I am back on shift. My next ride will be monday morning before work.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:10 PM   #1685
prydey
Rob

Weather has gone south here in Adelaide. I'm not against riding in the wet, but it takes a different kind of motivation to leave a nice warm dry house and get on the bike.

I try to get at least 150km a week. During summer is it's probably closer to 200 but at the moment 100 would be a good week
2 users like this post:
Old 09-05-2015, 12:36 PM   #1686
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Weather has gone south here in Adelaide. I'm not against riding in the wet, but it takes a different kind of motivation to leave a nice warm dry house and get on the bike.

I try to get at least 150km a week. During summer is it's probably closer to 200 but at the moment 100 would be a good week
I would have gone out this morning but my leave pass was revoked mid week due to my sister's hens day/night being thrown a spanner. So I've had to host it at my place while Im out with the lads. Frantically cleaning and prepping while still finding sanity on the forums. haha

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 09-05-2015, 12:54 PM   #1687
prydey
Rob

You find sanity on the forum?
Old 09-05-2015, 01:03 PM   #1688
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
You find sanity on the forum?
Compared to what Im doing now, yes.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
This user likes this post:
Old 09-05-2015, 02:05 PM   #1689
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Quote:
Yes

I'm trying to do 100.

That is a nice backdrop to ride with! I wasn't concentrating on kms before, but tried to ride at least twice a week, which would be around 70kms Now I've signed up for a 100km charity ride, I'm riding more to get my legs up to the distance. I did just over 130km last week, and I'm 900 metres behind GeckoGT for this week (better go around the block!)
If you sign up on Strava, you can join the AFF club, and see how everyone else is riding.

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2015, 02:28 PM   #1690
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
That is a nice backdrop to ride with! I wasn't concentrating on kms before, but tried to ride at least twice a week, which would be around 70kms Now I've signed up for a 100km charity ride, I'm riding more to get my legs up to the distance. I did just over 130km last week, and I'm 900 metres behind GeckoGT for this week (better go around the block!)
If you sign up on Strava, you can join the AFF club, and see how everyone else is riding.
Putting the challenge out?
Old 09-05-2015, 03:50 PM   #1691
prydey
Rob

Quote:
I'm 900 metres behind GeckoGT for this week
what about the elevation?
Old 09-05-2015, 04:05 PM   #1692
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT View Post
Very good points there. Most find that if they stay in a good efficient cadence at the perceived exertion that they want, speed will come as a normal response. As leg strength improves the cadence becomes easier to maintain and gearing up becomes an option, which results in a higher speed. My last coach that helped me prepare for Ironman always structured my training around cadence, HR zone and duration rather than the old method of speed and distance.
They re good points .. However, I found those years ago , I have not found too many in their early years that train beyond their threshold , for long periods . That's is, when I started , sure, I had , trigger points, reference points , and I felt , having met those trigger points , I was going ok ... Wrong !
It's not until you ride with more experience riders , when you truly find where your fitness , and riding smarts are at ..
Suggest , if you want to improve , get along with a specific indoor session , run , by , cycling coach and along with your own solo riding, get along to a group ride , that covers multiple hill climbs and a group which regroups after each climb .. If you can't find such a group ... Then stay with the group for as long as you can , then peel off back home , in a recovery mode as you should have nothing left in the tank. Then front up again, and aim to do the same distance as last time , but , in a much better condition - no chewing on those bars , no rolling those hips .. Your aim, is to complete the ride with the group . Do that , and you will be on your way . Note ... Depending on the experience of the group and circuit , and your commitment to training , it, may take you 12mths , to finish with the group.
In short, when , you 're new to cycling , get along with others , to accelerate your profession to be a better cyclist .
Batmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2015, 04:15 PM   #1693
prydey
Rob

hey batmobile, do you ride? are you on strava? if so, are you part of the AFF group?
Old 09-05-2015, 04:28 PM   #1694
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Quote:
Putting the challenge out?
I think I'd quietly get smashed

1971 Fairlane 500
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
Old 09-05-2015, 04:29 PM   #1695
prydey
Rob

Quote:
They re good points .. However, I found those years ago , I have not found too many in their early years that train beyond their threshold , for long periods . That's is, when I started , sure, I had , trigger points, reference points , and I felt , having met those trigger points , I was going ok ... Wrong !
It's not until you ride with more experience riders , when you truly find where your fitness , and riding smarts are at ..
Suggest , if you want to improve , get along with a specific indoor session , run , by , cycling coach and along with your own solo riding, get along to a group ride , that covers multiple hill climbs and a group which regroups after each climb .. If you can't find such a group ... Then stay with the group for as long as you can , then peel off back home , in a recovery mode as you should have nothing left in the tank. Then front up again, and aim to do the same distance as last time , but , in a much better condition - no chewing on those bars , no rolling those hips .. Your aim, is to complete the ride with the group . Do that , and you will be on your way . Note ... Depending on the experience of the group and circuit , and your commitment to training , it, may take you 12mths , to finish with the group.
In short, when , you 're new to cycling , get along with others , to accelerate your profession to be a better cyclist .

just so you know, if this is aimed at geckoGT, then you might like to know he is a very accomplished cyclist and pretty much the opposite of 'new to cycling'.

if its just advice in general, and just quoting gecko for reference, then as you were.

Old 09-05-2015, 05:37 PM   #1696
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: New to cycling

Quote:
hey batmobile, do you ride? are you on strava? if so, are you part of the AFF group?
Yes , i do ride . Is it safe to say so of AFF ? Haha.. I didn't know there was a AFF group on Strava ..
Thank you for your comments re geckoGT .. They were general comments directed to a "new cyclist" . Their was no malice in my general comments - just putting out there to new cyclist , what I ve learnt and experienced over the years.
Batmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-05-2015, 05:43 PM   #1697
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
just so you know, if this is aimed at geckoGT, then you might like to know he is a very accomplished cyclist and pretty much the opposite of 'new to cycling'.

if its just advice in general, and just quoting gecko for reference, then as you were.

I took it as the latter, and for us mere mortals all info/tips are valuable
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-05-2015, 06:50 PM   #1698
prydey
Rob

Quote:
I didn't know there was a AFF group on Strava ..
join up, the more the merrier
https://www.strava.com/clubs/71869
Old 09-05-2015, 09:38 PM   #1699
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
I think I'd quietly get smashed
Just messing with you.

It would be good to catch up for a ride some time although it would be difficult as you live the other side of Brisbane.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:39 PM   #1700
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
join up, the more the merrier
https://www.strava.com/clubs/71869
Its a bit of fun although at times a bit addictive. Good for a bit of incentive though.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:58 PM   #1701
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Quote:
Just messing with you.

It would be good to catch up for a ride some time although it would be difficult as you live the other side of Brisbane.
I grew up down that way, and go visit my parents down Tanah Merah, so it's not that far! I'm not riding up Tamborine Mountain - when I was a kid I could see it's profile on the horizon from my bedroom window... it looked big then!

1971 Fairlane 500
Old 09-05-2015, 11:05 PM   #1702
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
I grew up down that way, and go visit my parents down Tanah Merah, so it's not that far! I'm not riding up Tamborine Mountain - when I was a kid I could see it's profile on the horizon from my bedroom window... it looked big then!

Don't worry, I was thinking of more of a flat ride, perhaps something that might work in with your goal.

Do you know the course the MS ride follows?
Old 09-05-2015, 11:18 PM   #1703
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Yes, they've got it on the site, with downloadable info for Garmin etc.

http://www.brissietothebay.com.au/co...urse-map-100km

1971 Fairlane 500
Old 09-05-2015, 11:32 PM   #1704
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

It's interesting that I rode 55k today, and was getting tired legs at the 40k mark, yet was able to pull off a PB on a segment I've ridden over 60 times. This segment was 1.9km long, with a slight rise.
I was pretty pleased with this little part, anyway.

1971 Fairlane 500
Old 09-05-2015, 11:40 PM   #1705
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

I just had a look at the course, the climbs are in the Cleveland area and they are mostly short and not to hard. Sure they will be hard to people that are really stretching themselves just completing the course but looking at your stats so far I think you will be ready.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:41 PM   #1706
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

It can be strange the way it works some times. I had a similar occasion before where I felt terrible going up Tamborine and really thought I had done a rubbish time. It turned out to be a PR.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:53 PM   #1707
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

I'll have to wait till Thursday morning before I can try an extended ride, like you I'm on shiftwork. But that'll give my legs time to rest and repair from the last couple of days.
I'll turn up at work at 2pm on Thursday ready for a snooze, I reckon!

1971 Fairlane 500
Old 10-05-2015, 12:11 AM   #1708
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
I used to live on Leslie pde in tanah merah back in the 80s. My parents owned a property there which spanned acres including swamp land behind there. Small world.

Sorry to go OT.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 10-05-2015, 12:20 AM   #1709
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Geez Shav, I lived up near the top of Queens Rd till 86. Mum & Dad moved from there since.

1971 Fairlane 500
Old 10-05-2015, 06:14 AM   #1710
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
I'll have to wait till Thursday morning before I can try an extended ride, like you I'm on shiftwork. But that'll give my legs time to rest and repair from the last couple of days.
I'll turn up at work at 2pm on Thursday ready for a snooze, I reckon!
Perhaps we could do a ride on sections of the course in a few weeks. I will be on leave so my availability will be quite good. A few weeks time will probably work well in your preparation.