Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 28-08-2006, 11:14 PM   #121
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

Did you use moly or cast rings when you built it pete? molys take a bit more to bed in and you will find after about 5000kays is when it feels its best. I think i read somewhere you put acl race series so you will have molys.
NeishaXR8_347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2006, 11:18 PM   #122
EB Pete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Under the bonnet, trying to keep as clean as above!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neishaxr8
Once you undo the head bolts you may aswell throw them in the bin they will be useless. Once they have been torqued up and then undone they are stretched and throw aways thats why they need to be replaced. Also with the oil its to early to put in semi syn yet, just get a good mineral oil, put in a semi syn after about 5000kays and full at the next service. i would get a good 15w 50 or something close.

Shaun.
so if i don't undo them and just tighten them up say 30 degrees more that would be allright? also thanks for the tips on the oil!

pete j
EB Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2006, 11:19 PM   #123
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

from memory, i thought you do up head bolts to a certain Nm, and then its 2x 45 degrees... starting from the inside working from 3,4,2,5,1,6 cylinders...

diff is a little expensive, i wouldnt have thought it would cost that much. i would go the slippa though.

throtttle cable is easy. there are 2 13mm bolts in the foot well, you will need a deep socket, undo the pedal, undo the clip on the throttle body, (dont lose the clip, make sure you hand is over it so you dont lose it. i lost 2 in one day.) then pull the cable through the footwell. installation is the reverse. I have gone through about 5 in as many years. :(

make sure its away from your extractors, as the heat will stuff it in a very short time.

i am interested in more pics when you install your p/s oil cooler
Old 28-08-2006, 11:20 PM   #124
John_LS1

40+90 degrees is for E-series headgaskets.

i thought AU ones required the AU specs? 30+120 degrees?
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2006, 11:22 PM   #125
EB Pete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Did you use moly or cast rings when you built it pete? molys take a bit more to bed in and you will find after about 5000kays is when it feels its best. I think i read somewhere you put acl race series so you will have molys.

yeah i used ACL race series pistons and used the rings that came with em. so am i running her in properly by going up hills at about 50-70km/h in 3rd/4th (btr auto)?

other then that you have boosted my confidence in her cause she aint performing the best at the moment!

pete j
Old 28-08-2006, 11:34 PM   #126
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

I wouldn't touch the bolts at all if there is a leak so early on something has gone wrong, are you sure its not that the oil is so clean you cant see it coming from the rocker cover? or the half moon at rear off head? when its cool put your hand behind and see if shes not making her way around and fooling you. Yeh the rings in the race series kit are molys and take a bit more to settle into their new home then the casties that ford use. Also with the beding in that your doing sounds good just dont let it idle for more then about a minute because it will glaze up the bores and will never make a good seal and use oil and all sorts of things, when its idling the rings have no load on them and wont wear in thats why you dont want a semi syn yet because you want this engine to wear itself in and with the friction modified oils it will basically have a layer of the oil additives they use and wont bed in.
Old 28-08-2006, 11:36 PM   #127
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

But dont worry its not the sort of wear that happens after 300000kms of use. just enough to marry the rings and bore on the same angles and that.

Shaun.
Old 28-08-2006, 11:42 PM   #128
EB Pete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
But dont worry its not the sort of wear that happens after 300000kms of use. just enough to marry the rings and bore on the same angles and that.

Shaun.

well you have made me worry now. it has been idleing a bit cause i was trying to set the timing properly and idle, cause it would just stall when you put in drive. it has actually been useing abit of oil so what do i do now? put it under more load or is it to far gone and won't make a difference?

pete j
Old 29-08-2006, 12:01 AM   #129
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

No your reading to much into this lol! 1 min to warm up but you would have to have it idling for more then 10 mins at once to cause long term damage, with it using oil it because your rings arent properly bedded in yet a 500kms they wont have done much wearing yet so are causing some blowby and wasted power but this is perf normal and will change and you will see for yourself that the oil consumption will continue to slow down and will stop using oil by i would say between 3000-5000kms. No matter what anyone says dont put in semi syn cause then you will use oil until you build it again.

Shaun.
Old 29-08-2006, 12:03 AM   #130
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

Remember engines that get driven hard will in most cases use some oil. but not excessive amounts.

Shaun.
Old 29-08-2006, 10:35 PM   #131
EB Pete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks for the help neishaxr8!

well i got the new throttle cable in today and the new steering pump. yet to take it up past 4500rpm but the throttle body is actually opening fully and it feels alot different. anyway tomorrow its going on the dyno to get the cam dialed in properly and the timing set up to match so should go abit better.

other then that i'm just working on the cooling design for the tranny,power steer and motor. i've thought of a few things just need to find out about them. so does anyone know if the btr's have a temp sensor in them?

pete j
Old 30-08-2006, 03:47 AM   #132
ebs_4l

yes, they do have a temp sensor
EB 4L, 8.4:1, GT3540r, Greenslade Engineering exhaust manifold and plenum chamber, 90mm throttle, 600x300x100 cooler, Surecam custom turbo grind, autronic SM4, siemens 72lb, Crane HI-6, LX-92, Innovate LM-1, Turbosmart Street Reg, bosch 044, turbosmart 48mm w/gate and v-port BOV. 335.8rwkw 1bar
ebs_4l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 06:28 PM   #133
efgiar
rofl copter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB Pete
thanks for the help neishaxr8!

well i got the new throttle cable in today and the new steering pump. yet to take it up past 4500rpm but the throttle body is actually opening fully and it feels alot different. anyway tomorrow its going on the dyno to get the cam dialed in properly and the timing set up to match so should go abit better.

other then that i'm just working on the cooling design for the tranny,power steer and motor. i've thought of a few things just need to find out about them. so does anyone know if the btr's have a temp sensor in them?

pete j
yes they do, should be a black/white wire and a yellow wire on ur loom to the gearbox

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 07:59 PM   #134
EB Pete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hi all,

well i have proof that it is slow! the cam got dialed in today and heres the end result:

the top line is the cam at 0 degrees which made 178rwhp
middle line is 4 degrees retard which made 172rwhp
and the bottom 4 derees advance which made 166rwhp

the timing was set at a total of 27 degrees advance, the air fuel started out at 10:1and went up to 14:1 at the peak (don't really know what a good air fuel mix is?)
the dyno was done with the car in 2nd gear (btr auto), i thought 3rd gear was the best ratio to dyno it on?

also got another quote for the diff which was $1000 drive in drive out but if i take the whole rear out of the car and give it to em they said it wouldbe about $150 cheaper.

so i'm in the market for a biggest cam i can go that will not require fly cutting the pistons, work with a 2400 - 2500rpm stally and work around 2200rpm for highway driving.

pete j
Old 30-08-2006, 09:12 PM   #135
John_LS1

i would go a dev5 cam, will make a huge difference i reckon. that baby cam you got is rubbish for the type of rebuild you done. youve set it up good for an agressive cam.i dont know other equivelants i know wade have 1521a but i think there out of billet cams at the moment but they are pretty wild and would defiently need some sort of aftermaket ecu tuning or piggy back setup ie unichip.

as for the diff, your better off letting them do the lot. $150 remove and refit isnt that bad a price.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 10:36 PM   #136
BI6TIM
SnortPerformance.com

EB Pete, what sort of diff are you looking for? I would sugest you get on to adxr8 about it, he should be able to get you what you want much cheaper than $1000.
As for the cam, do your research man, there are alot of cams available now. I would recomend trying to 'not' go down the beaten track, look around and you'll find that there are some excelent options (other than JMM and Wade) available.
BI6TIM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 08:33 PM   #137
EB Pete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well i'm nearly at breaking piont with my car!

it throw the alterantor belt tonight, pulled over and it had got into the red on the temp gauge. so i had to replace it in the rain and now it's low on coolent!

also worked out that the car is making it's most hp at only 4200rpm WTF!
Old 31-08-2006, 10:52 PM   #138
ebs_4l

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB Pete
also worked out that the car is making it's most hp at only 4200rpm WTF!
mmmmm, that is absolutely normal... i was up against that problem with my crow stg 3 back a couple of years ago.

i used to read stories of all these people making max power at 5500rpm, and revving to 55-5800rpm no probs.. i used to hear that all the time, but my max power was always, as you say, at 4200rpm..

these sized cams just arent big enough to make power over 5000rpm, although, now, with my new cam and my turbo, my power climbs all the way to revlimit of 5800, no dropping off there

spitting belts is normal too.... LOL, you usually spit the p/s belt with a few revs, so make 100% sure you try get the pulley on your p/s pump lined up with the crank, as for spitting the alt/w/pump belt, i have broken one before, but they tend to break more than just come off, whereas the p/s belt will spin itself off...

i had mine come off twice the other week since its an old belt, two times i found it sitting under the bonnet still
EB 4L, 8.4:1, GT3540r, Greenslade Engineering exhaust manifold and plenum chamber, 90mm throttle, 600x300x100 cooler, Surecam custom turbo grind, autronic SM4, siemens 72lb, Crane HI-6, LX-92, Innovate LM-1, Turbosmart Street Reg, bosch 044, turbosmart 48mm w/gate and v-port BOV. 335.8rwkw 1bar
Old 31-08-2006, 11:07 PM   #139
EB Pete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs_4l
mmmmm, that is absolutely normal... i was up against that problem with my crow stg 3 back a couple of years ago.

i used to read stories of all these people making max power at 5500rpm, and revving to 55-5800rpm no probs.. i used to hear that all the time, but my max power was always, as you say, at 4200rpm..

these sized cams just arent big enough to make power over 5000rpm, although, now, with my new cam and my turbo, my power climbs all the way to revlimit of 5800, no dropping off there

spitting belts is normal too.... LOL, you usually spit the p/s belt with a few revs, so make 100% sure you try get the pulley on your p/s pump lined up with the crank, as for spitting the alt/w/pump belt, i have broken one before, but they tend to break more than just come off, whereas the p/s belt will spin itself off...

i had mine come off twice the other week since its an old belt, two times i found it sitting under the bonnet still

yeah the alternator belt was stuffed and was always slipping.

so what do you rekomend i do from here? bigger cam and computer get me up to around 160rwkw?
Old 01-09-2006, 07:07 PM   #140
efgiar
rofl copter

as aaron said, that power is pretty good considering its a btr if u want a bit step up in power then go for a t5 or consider a 6 speed from mal wood, would go like **** off a shovel

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2006, 09:51 PM   #141
EB Pete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

righto it's diff time. before i done all the work it the revs were 1850-1900 at 100km/h after the rebuild i'm sitting at about 2100! all i can think of is the stall which is 2500rpm with lock up but i can't see how that would change it?

so if i go 3.7 diff gears what should i expect to see on the tacho at 100km/h?
Old 03-09-2006, 11:51 PM   #142
ebs_4l

according to my rough calc, id say 2350rpm, based on it being 2100 now, thats with a 3.27 ratio now, if you have a 3.08 itd be more like 2500
Old 04-09-2006, 05:29 PM   #143
EB Pete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs_4l
according to my rough calc, id say 2350rpm, based on it being 2100 now, thats with a 3.27 ratio now, if you have a 3.08 itd be more like 2500

thats not too bad. thanks for that ebs 4l, how did ya work it out?
Old 04-09-2006, 05:56 PM   #144
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

revs @ 100 / current diff ratio, then x new diff ratio

eg

2100 / 3.27 = 642.201

642.201 * 3.7 = 2376 rpm