Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 03:17 AM   #121
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't care if people dress up or not...I have no candy in my house because I don't eat it.

All I have is garlic, broccoli and chicken. If Aristos the 'Surprise Chef' came to my house, he wouldn't be able to do much. I also have a few rolls of dunny paper...perhaps that can be the entree.

I don't think it is necessarily just youngsters though that lack manners or respect. I have old ladies complain that young people have no manners, yet when I open the newsagent door for some, they take it for granted and don't even murmur a thankyou.

Some will, some won't. All some youths need is a good nightstick in the head to remind them that there is a way to behave in public. In the privacy of their own home is their own business.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:37 PM   #122
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

We would all like to think that there are simple panaceas to the issues facing society but there aren't.

There is little doubt that each successive generation is less of some things than the prior one whilst also being more of other things. Throughout history this has usually translated to less discipline, less respect and less work ethic mixed with more knowledge, more freedom and more angst for the older members of society.

Thus it has always been a gradual diminishing of the (so called) positives but this is only a reflection of the values held by society in general otherwise they wouldn't be allowed to diminish.

Let's look at a case in point.

Less than 80 years ago it was deemed mandatory in society to address adults or superiors as Sir or Madam - by 40 years ago it was still considered preferable but not mandatory and by 25 years ago it was considered old fashioned. These are not values that are created by the youth but by the adults in society so the blame is squarely with us for allowing what seem like minor concessions at the time to become pervasive.

When I grew up you could count the "latch key" kids on one hand - most families still had a parent at home waiting for the children and thus they received supervision and encouragement to complete the tasks required of them (whether chores around the home or school work) but I'd very much doubt that there are too many for whom that scenario applies now. Who did that? Not the youth but the adults making economic decisions based on their own desire for a more comfortable life - and before someone starts on about it being harder now let me remind you that it was never easy to raise a family on a single wage and it meant going without stuff - which we considered to be the sacrifice that had to be made. It's not (by the way) a criticism of those who choose to be working parents - it's a hard gig either way but we also have to be realistic about the influences that children have when raised by child care centres / schools / after school carers or (later in their growth) by too much unsupervised time on their hands.

All I am saying is that a lot of the issues are ones that we (the older) generations created by our acceptance of a reduction in societal standards and we ended up with exactly what we created. I could go on about the other causes (70's hippy influences, breakdown of the family structure, the militant end of womens liberation, political correctness etc. etc.) but I'm sure that would be boring so I shan't. Let's just accept that we as a society hold all the blame and then work to change what we can within our own families and extended circles and hope that is enough.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 03-11-2009, 01:50 PM   #123
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XABEBAGT
I'm an old bloke.
When I was a kid and broke a rule at home I got a flogging with a razor strop. Very few rules were broken after the first few times. All the kids had jobs at home and heaven help anyone who forgot their task or did not do it to a set standard. The police would pull us up late at night when we were walking home and give us a swift kick in the bum. We hurried home after the first few times. We called every male over 20 years old Sir and every female Mam. We respected our parents and our elders. We never swore in public and certainly not within earshoot of our parents or any other adult. Teachers told us we were stupid and they used red pen to mark our books. They threw chalk board dusters at us and clipped us over the back of the head with their hand. We got the cane from the principal if we were really naughty. We had foot races and not everybody came first. Second or third was okay and someone even came last. They knew they were a crook runner but they lived with it. The smart kids sat at the back of the class and the dumb ones down the front. Sitting down the front never killed anyone. I had a midnight curfew unless it was a special occasion even after I turned 21.

Every day I thank my parents for the love and guidance they gave me when I was growing up. I learned right from wrong, respect, how to work hard and how to live life to the full. I knew I wasn't the best at anything, but when I competed, I gave it 100%.

I feel for the youth of today. They have lost so much and they will end up with so little.
Cheers
Keith
Great Post
Old 03-11-2009, 02:44 PM   #124
vee-eight
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C.
The new breed of Australian. The future job seekers, tax payers and working backbone of the nation.

We are screwed.

hahaha mate thats unfortunately true. Im sure once they get belted a few times they will come around.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:54 PM   #125
Tuddy200
Reaching for 200...

So how come our jails are so over crowded with older people from this so called older generation that were guided oh so well by the strap or cane?

04' BA XR6 - Blueprint - 6 Speed with Rip Shift - HD Clutch
2.5"/BFGT Exhaust System with Quad Tips - 4490's Extractors
19" ROH Flares - 20% Underdrives - Interior Colour Coded - Sunroof - BOSS Bonnet
Stage 2 Crow Cam's - Crow Cam's Valve Springs - BPR Airbox
M86 LSD Diff with 4.1s - Upgraded Brakes with Slotted DBA 4000's
Leather Interior - Rear Power Windows

Projects Underway: Sound System
Old 03-11-2009, 03:13 PM   #126
Hords
Treasure your balls?

I heard one of the best compiments I've heard in a while last week from my neighbour. "You're daughters are so well behaved, I can't remember the last time I was referred to as Mr." They haven't hit their teens yet
Old 03-11-2009, 04:19 PM   #127
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hords
I heard one of the best compiments I've heard in a while last week from my neighbour. "You're daughters are so well behaved, I can't remember the last time I was referred to as Mr." They haven't hit their teens yet
Very tempting to say "just wait..." but i'll take the positive side and say continue the good work

A quick comment on a previous posting as well, education means nothing when it comes to manners. The drivel that I have to put up with from pushy undergraduate students, PhD students and even Lecturers really goes to show that an education doesn't automatically make you a "well balanced" person.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
Old 03-11-2009, 04:38 PM   #128
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuddy200
So how come our jails are so over crowded with older people from this so called older generation that were guided oh so well by the strap or cane?
At a guess .... because they were sent there many years ago when, "You do the crime, you do the time". Now its , "You poor sole. It must have been the drugs that made you do it .... off you go and dont do it again!"

But in saying that ..... I havn't been to these over crowded jails to witness how many 'older' people are in them. Do tell ??

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-11-2009, 04:50 PM   #129
Tuddy200
Reaching for 200...

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
At a guess .... because they were sent there many years ago when, "You do the crime, you do the time". Now its , "You poor sole. It must have been the drugs that made you do it .... off you go and dont do it again!"

But in saying that ..... I havn't been to these over crowded jails to witness how many 'older' people are in them. Do tell ??
Yes, do the crime do the time. However if all these older generation people these days are brought up to know right from wrong and parents knew how to make thier kiddies so perfect, why are there so many that ended up in prision?

I do not know what the ratio of young and old is in our prisions, but we know they have been over crowded for ages, which has lead to our justice system giving the slaps to the wrists and off you go approach.

I am not saying the old way did not work, nor am I saying we are parfect now, just I do think we haven't yet found the perfect medium of control verus boundries.

04' BA XR6 - Blueprint - 6 Speed with Rip Shift - HD Clutch
2.5"/BFGT Exhaust System with Quad Tips - 4490's Extractors
19" ROH Flares - 20% Underdrives - Interior Colour Coded - Sunroof - BOSS Bonnet
Stage 2 Crow Cam's - Crow Cam's Valve Springs - BPR Airbox
M86 LSD Diff with 4.1s - Upgraded Brakes with Slotted DBA 4000's
Leather Interior - Rear Power Windows

Projects Underway: Sound System
Old 03-11-2009, 08:51 PM   #130
ZDI-970
Formerly D3v[]

arrghh.... anoys me when elderly people complain about how unbehaved young people are... ican see where most of yous are coming from but geez ya gotta hate it when ya get and aragant posh old bloke in his 80s or so that thinks he can treat ya like crap cos ya young! oh wait you also get nice old people that see how rude that person was and dont say anything about it or even notice it! or your down the street and there a little 5yr old kid runing around havin a good time and an oldie will have a go at him for nearly knocking them over... Hmmm if a 5yr old can knock over a grown up then theres somethin wrong there....
Old 03-11-2009, 09:01 PM   #131
ZDI-970
Formerly D3v[]

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowEL2XR8
I wonder if the kids that just stand around and do bugger all, acting tough if we gave them respect first. I reckon they would be respectful back. Works for me. In my mind I think bad of them but when I open my mouth and be polite to them they are always polite back then I change my mind about them.
this guys got it right... its all about the first impresion... if ya act like a #### towards people their gonna be a #### to you.. reagarless of their age!
Old 03-11-2009, 09:20 PM   #132
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Its now just turned into another young person vs old person thread and can honeslty say thanks for the last 3 posts.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Closed Thread