Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-05-2017, 09:26 PM   #121
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: The greatest ever Australian performance car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoureverFord View Post
Hi Guys & Girls, Just joined this forum yesterday & got my ok to participate today. While looking around I saw this thread, sparked my interest. I know it may not compare today in modern auto circles, but the 1971 XY GTHO Phase 3 falcon was the fastest production saloon car in the world, 142 mph, that's walk in to the showroom & drive out the door. No other Australian built car has or will ever (since Ausssie doesn't build cars anymore) be able to compare. It has a legacy like no other car in the world. Even sitting still, they just look fast & mean
Welcome you are a wise man...yeah it stops and starts with the GTHO.

No modern car will ever compare to that ICON and absolute pinnacle of performance...

It's like comparing a digital photo to an oil painting....yeah the digital photo is crisp clear and might perform well...but the oil painting is artistic, revered, sought after, lusted after....
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-05-2017, 09:48 PM   #122
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

How can the gtho be Australia's greatest performance car when mums shopping cart blows it off. Great in 1972. Just old and slow now.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2017, 10:04 PM   #123
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
How can the gtho be Australia's greatest performance car when mums shopping cart blows it off. Great in 1972. Just old and slow now.
I’d like to see mums shopping cart blow off the GTHO III around the Mountain, you’re missing the operative word here when talking about “performance”, performance doesn’t just mean 1/4 mile times or traffic light battles.

Mum’s shopping cart will still be screaming it’s lung’s off coming up mountain straight while the GTHO is just clearing it’s lung’s.

Even still when talking about 1/4 mile times what mum shopping cart would pull under 14 sec times straight of the showroom floor ?, please don’t tell me you think a Camry would, Hulk is that you ?.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-05-2017, 10:09 PM   #124
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
time / place / boofhead

mums shopping cart in 72 was a beat up EK rolling a 138 grey nurse
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2017, 12:11 AM   #125
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

It's 2017. And old slow cars are just that. Old and slow.

Performance is a package , BUT it's mostly judged by the 1/4. And mid 14s just don't cut it.

Performance. Take a look at the new hemi. 9 second quarter straight of the showroom floor.

Xtreme Ford Tuning

Old 10-05-2017, 12:48 AM   #126
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Welcome you are a wise man...yeah it stops and starts with the GTHO.

No modern car will ever compare to that ICON and absolute pinnacle of performance...

It's like comparing a digital photo to an oil painting....yeah the digital photo is crisp clear and might perform well...but the oil painting is artistic, revered, sought after, lusted after....
All the old muscle cars an modern ones should be revered, shouldn't just be for the GTHO.
Chrysler and GM had cars which were just as good.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2017, 07:17 AM   #127
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX View Post
All the old muscle cars an modern ones should be revered, shouldn't just be for the GTHO.
Chrysler and GM had cars which were just as good.
Never said they weren't mate.

The GTHO is just the pinnacle that can never be surpassed.

This is not an "everyone gets a trophy" under 6s soccer match, the best there will ever be is the GTHO. Shut the gate.

If it all comes down to a number on a quarter mile them I'm sorry you have missed what cars are all about, no point even trying to explain it...and obviously the last will be the greatest no point having a thread..

arran ask yourself is the greatest performance car a factory built race car, the only specific reason for its existence being to win Australia's most revered car race and in the process decimating the opposition, lusted after by all at the time of release..... Or just a shopping trolly, that seriously no one other than a few enthusiasts give two hoots about...it's performance is just a an improvement with technology..... But any yuppy, with no idea about cars driving a Tesla with tear you a new one in acceleration braking and handling...
2 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2017, 07:44 AM   #128
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Never said they weren't mate.

The GTHO is just the pinnacle that can never be surpassed.

This is not an "everyone gets a trophy" under 6s soccer match, the best there will ever be is the GTHO. Shut the gate.

If it all comes down to a number on a quarter mile them I'm sorry you have missed what cars are all about, no point even trying to explain it...and obviously the last will be the greatest no point having a thread..

arran ask yourself is the greatest performance car a factory built race car, the only specific reason for its existence being to win Australia's most revered car race and in the process decimating the opposition, lusted after by all at the time of release..... Or just a shopping trolly, that seriously no one other than a few enthusiasts give two hoots about...it's performance is just a an improvement with technology..... But any yuppy, with no idea about cars driving a Tesla with tear you a new one in acceleration braking and handling...
Sorry cant agree.
Charger was just as quick, and the XU-1 beat the Phase 3 at Bathurst.
Also a late version of the HG Monaro which was about a 10th slower by all accounts.

Yeah I know its a Ford forum.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:23 AM   #129
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sorry cant agree.
Charger was just as quick, and the XU-1 beat the Phase 3 at Bathurst.
Also a late version of the HG Monaro which was about a 10th slower by all accounts.

Yeah I know its a Ford forum.
Doesn't change the fact in 1971 GTHO decimated everyone. That was it's year of manufacture.

1972 the Phase 3 was old news and out of date no longer current, Ford rolled it out again after the XA did not make it in time of course it was going to be beat by the newer latest car...Holden were butt hurt....

HO will always be the top of the tree...
Old 10-05-2017, 08:30 AM   #130
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

If we are going to use Bathurst as as measure of performance, then the LX A9X is certainly eligible...back to back wins, 6 lap win...lap records...dominant.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2017, 09:29 AM   #131
FoureverFord
Starter Motor

Wow, that got everyones attention, The statement was the greatest Australian performance car, ever. That was the GTHO Phase 3 & I quote "the fastest four door production saloon car in the world" at time of manufacture, 1971. No other Australian car, no matter what shape or size since can claim that. But even though I am a ford fan, I must give an honourable mention to the GTR XU-1, was an awesome little car, I drove one when I was 14 years old, went like a scolded cat. I am 58 now. I once owned a 770 charger, 265 hemi, 3 on the floor, that put you back in your seat, not as quick as the E49. All good cars in their day, but the GTHO is King.
FoureverFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2017, 09:59 AM   #132
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
If we are going to use Bathurst as as measure of performance, then the LX A9X is certainly eligible...back to back wins, 6 lap win...lap records...dominant.
It's not the only measure...I don't believe the A9X was the fastest tour door production car in the world, I also don't believe the car you bought from the dealer was the car that raced...L34 is considered by most to be a better performance car than the A9X.

With the HO the stars aligned, it was superior to everything at the time, fastest in the World, won Australia's greatest race when rules were "what you sold is what you raced" Oh it looked good...the famous HO "off the clock" on the Hume Hwy picture captured the imagination like no other.

And values, desireablity, collectability reflect that today...the undisputed king of Australian cars.

Almost feels like Holden Forum with clowns saying the A9X and XU-1 are superior cars to a Phase 3.

6 cylinder Opel and an emissions strangled 77 torana....
2 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2017, 10:13 AM   #133
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It's not the only measure...I don't believe the A9X was the fastest tour door production car in the world, I also don't believe the car you bought from the dealer was the car that raced...L34 is considered by most to be a better performance car than the A9X.

With the HO the stars aligned, it was superior to everything at the time, fastest in the World, won Australia's greatest race when rules were "what you sold is what you raced" Oh it looked good...the famous HO "off the clock" on the Hume Hwy picture captured the imagination like no other.

And values, desireablity, collectability reflect that today...the undisputed king of Australian cars.

Almost feels like Holden Forum with clowns saying the A9X and XU-1 are superior cars to a Phase 3.

like a cheap American compact with a mustang engine shoved in huh? Phase 3
Wasn't that 6.9 litre Mercedes faster anyway....

The A9X had the Salisbury diff, super t10 gearbox and electric fans methinks, a better race car than the L34.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:35 AM   #134
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
like a cheap American compact with a mustang engine shoved in huh? Phase 3
Wasn't that 6.9 litre Mercedes faster anyway....

The A9X had the Salisbury diff, super t10 gearbox and electric fans methinks, a better race car than the L34.
The 6.9 Benz was actually slower than the earlier W108 6.3. I believe official figures have the 300SEL ('68-'72) a couple of mph slower than the GTHO. In saying that who knows how accurate testing was back then. One set of figures from the opposite sides of the globe. Either way both were fastest fours doors at some stage.

What about the Charger. Ford Au shipped Moffat and his Bathurst winning GTHO over to NZ to try and curb the dominance of the Chargers in the local series... ended up getting its **** handed to it and shipped back over the Tasman.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/642607...0827511998310/

http://www.theroaringseason.com/show...ealand-In-1973

Also, wasn't the E49 the fastest six cylinder car in the world until the mid 80s BMW M5/6, and the fastest Aussie 6 until the xr6t? A great feat especially considering Chrysler Australias shoe string budget.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2017, 10:37 AM   #135
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Merc, Jag and Maserati had cars that were all labeled the "fastest 4 door" in 70-72...jaguar XJ with a 12 cylinder easily achieving over 140mph...

\≡≡T≡≡/
2 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2017, 11:44 AM   #136
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Who cares. All those old cars are slow now.

The new HSV gts w1 is kicking a few butts

Xtreme Ford Tuning

Old 10-05-2017, 11:50 AM   #137
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:

It is what it is
But you kinda wonder whether the legend was really in the car or the driver.
Makes you wonder where they would be without Moffat and Brock and their rivalry and driving skill. Apparently the cars were pretty rubbish as race cars as Moffat attested to many many times....

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2017, 12:16 PM   #138
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm
Who cares. All those old cars are slow now.

The new HSV gts w1 is kicking a few butts
Already old and outdated technology before it is released..

As I pointed out before a basic cheaper Tesla will bury it in any and every way. How can it be a great performance car?

HSV GTS W1 is irrelevant these days....who's buying it? Who wants it? Drive one around and who will even give it a second glance without ****ing themselves laughing that you were dumb enough to buy a new commodore for $180K.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:26 PM   #139
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Plenty of people bought the W1...and people will race them

Performance cars didn't become irrelevant just because Bathurst 1000 doesn't adhere to Group N production cars. There are plenty of classes and races that people can use there cars for, the recent 6hrs of bathurst (closest even to the Bathurst the Phase 3 won) was contested by all manner of production cars including AU XR's T series and FPV GT's.

To call moden cars "irrelevant" is a very arrogant veiw to have, and does nothing but ignores the great efforts acheived in the last 40 years by both Ford and Holden.

I doubt many mondern falcon owners would appreciate there pride and joys being touted "irrelevant".

Is my XR8 irrelevant because it didn't win bathurst or get claimed to be the fastest 4 door?

Btw. Wheels just announced the FG-X sprint turbo as the greatest Australian Muscle car...as voted by fans.

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 10-05-2017, 12:38 PM   #140
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
The A9X was a better handling and more reliable car than the L34 because of the addition of rear disk brakes, stronger axles and diff but you are right about the car on the track wasn’t the same as the car in the showrooms.

The track A9X still ran the pre-pollution L34 engine where the showroom A9X was fitted with the L31 which was almost similar to stock engine available in all 308 equipped Torana’s at the time with the main differences being a stronger crankshaft, different cam grind and the deleted fan.

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2017, 01:16 PM   #141
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Already old and outdated technology before it is released..

As I pointed out before a basic cheaper Tesla will bury it in any and every way. How can it be a great performance car?

HSV GTS W1 is irrelevant these days....who's buying it? Who wants it? Drive one around and who will even give it a second glance without ****ing themselves laughing that you were dumb enough to buy a new commodore for $180K.
I am not so sure in every way, do we have comparable circuit times and 100-0km/h distances? A performance car != straight line times. That is one component.

What does it matter who buys the W1? The same questions can be asked of any car. Why does someone's purchase of a car have to conform with yours or any one else standards? Who are you to judge?
Again, people could laugh at anyone who bought a performance Falcon too, outdated, poorly built, under performing and over priced based on what else is available..
Old 10-05-2017, 02:18 PM   #142
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

I am only ever going see the HSV W1 at a drag strip or traffic lights not circuit racing - circuit racing never meant anything to me and none of my cars will ever race on circuit, this is not to say my cars handle like boats but for every day street use and occasional drag strip cars the legend now is the DODGE DEMON, it is faster than your beloved Tesla and the HSV W1.

And before the Chev lovers post up that the Hennessey 1000hp C7 Corvette will kill it then your wrong as the Dodge Demon stock is faster and then you need to realise that Hennessey are also doing 1500hp Dodge Demons so your response is not valid.

BUT irrespective of this the FGX XR6T Sprint is good enough, fast enough and it is the peoples choice for Australia so you are very very lucky if you own one.

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2017, 02:58 PM   #143
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorted View Post
BUT irrespective of this the FGX XR6T Sprint is good enough, fast enough and it is the peoples choice for Australia so you are very very lucky if you own one.
The greatest Australian Muscle Car as decided by Wheels readers........

look - its a great car no doubt - but the 6 people who read Wheels magazine ( ) cant surely be the final authority on that - can they ?

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
2 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2017, 03:02 PM   #144
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorted View Post
I am only ever going see the HSV W1 at a drag strip or traffic lights not circuit racing - circuit racing never meant anything to me and none of my cars will ever race on circuit, this is not to say my cars handle like boats but for every day street use and occasional drag strip cars the legend now is the DODGE DEMON, it is faster than your beloved Tesla and the HSV W1.

And before the Chev lovers post up that the Hennessey 1000hp C7 Corvette will kill it then your wrong as the Dodge Demon stock is faster and then you need to realise that Hennessey are also doing 1500hp Dodge Demons so your response is not valid.

You see many DODGE DEMONS and Hennessey and 1000hp C7 Corvettes driving around Sydney Metro???

If you want to start getting stupid...yeah top fuel dragsters go OK too, don't see them driving around to often..
Old 10-05-2017, 04:26 PM   #145
shaness8

Vn group A would be my pic followed by the VL and VK group A then you got all brockys
Old 10-05-2017, 05:32 PM   #146
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Let's not forget the car that started it all... the 1967 XR Falcon GT

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2017, 06:08 PM   #147
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT View Post
The greatest Australian Muscle Car as decided by Wheels readers........

look - its a great car no doubt - but the 6 people who read Wheels magazine ( ) cant surely be the final authority on that - can they ?
I think the I6T is up there I own a BF F6 and am surprised that there are a lot of people that have no idea how brutal they are out of the box.

If you add bang for your buck, mass availability, and versatility.. yeah it's hard to go past a XR6T or even F6....

All depends on the criteria I guess.

But there is nothing like jumping into an XW or XY GT GTHO on the weekend and going for a cruise, not as fast as my F6 but the greatest performance car for sure.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:10 PM   #148
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Greatest? Maybe if compared to what was around at the time, but as soon as you judge it by modern standards..... cant brake, cant corner, and not nearly as quick as its reputation implies. Cars have moved on so far in half a century. Maybe what we're really arguing about is which Aus performance car has the greatest street cred, and in that case, the GTHO is peerless.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2017, 09:59 PM   #149
Rallye Sport
RS The Faster Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggle Piggle View Post
So that's it then...our last chance to punch on over locally-produced performance cars.

Was a good ride - shame it had to end.

May aswell make the last one a big one
FG XR50 Daily.
Rallye Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2017, 10:04 PM   #150
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
I think the I6T is up there I own a BF F6 and am surprised that there are a lot of people that have no idea how brutal they are out of the box.

If you add bang for your buck, mass availability, and versatility.. yeah it's hard to go past a XR6T or even F6....

All depends on the criteria I guess.

But there is nothing like jumping into an XW or XY GT GTHO on the weekend and going for a cruise, not as fast as my F6 but the greatest performance car for sure.
No doubt that the I6T is best bang for buck especially aftermarket. Time has a bad habit of forgetting these types of cars though....
Remember the "iconic" VL RB30ET turbo...

Same praises , same street cred status same V8 killer image etc etc. cops loved em. Tuners loved em. Street and strip times were unbeatable.

Where are they now......

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin