Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-01-2022, 07:50 PM   #1321
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Mowing ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
I live in a very bushy gully in Syd that is high maintenance.
Well it may suit some re battery power but I really do not care I enjoy my coal powered tools - I’m soon needing to upgrade my briggsy trusty ol mower and for the money I’d spend on a high end battery one I’ll go Honda coal power self propelled to last me till I’m 6’ under.
Even my young gen neighbour who has tried to adapt to battery power I noticed gave in got a sthyl coal blower - admittedly I notice he doesn’t buy high end stuff but having a battle axe driveway and all his battery blower was not to standard.
Long live coal power for me at this stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Which Honda/Honda Powered unit are you looking at?
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2022, 08:50 PM   #1322
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I’m going to buy one of those masports for my mum to do her half an acre. She has 3 petrol mowers and struggles to start any of them nowadays. What she likes about the masport, is the metal base, and they look “normal”.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 09-01-2022, 10:25 PM   #1323
slowsnake
Banned

There is no nicer smell than Castrol R burning, used to love going to Eastern Creek just for the 125cc 2 strokes, lovely aroma from the back of the garages, love it, love it, love it!......
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-01-2022, 01:10 AM   #1324
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Which Honda/Honda Powered unit are you looking at?

I’ll be curious which of the HR self propelled range you think……..
Typical lawns, 3 above average sections to cut at split levels - 2 sections I need to lift up 4steps - so heavy one won’t be great as I age in due time catcher would need to detach.
1 section I currently need to empty catcher 4 times min depending grass height for eg….another section pretty much same…..3rd section doesn’t fill catcher.
Don’t think I need those in range at the 1200buck and more me think plus I see they are heavy.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2022, 09:02 AM   #1325
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
I recently reconditioned my grandfather's old lawn mower.

I now relate doing up old mowers to doing up old cars - it costs a lot more than you think it will and while you are doing it makes no sense but you do it anyway.

Now that I have done it, I don't want to wreck it by mowing the lawns!!!
How true is that eh ?.... Fixing it up and then too scared to use it ..You nailed it.... That said I think it's a bit like my other passion (model rail) . It's not so much the destination with model rail , the biggest fun is in the journey..If I do end up trying to restore the old girl it will be fun , maybe frustrating or challenging doing it . As it's not essential or there is a time frame makes it not so stressful ..

She's not rusty but it'd be great to touch up the bright red paint , replace the belts and blade I guess once she's mobile and a new battery .. She's also pretty unigue to modern mowers with an auxillary chord start .. Wasn't easy to pull her over but it did work ..

Cox Stockman is the name . Between 1994 bought new and 2012 she did 2317 hours as she was fitted with that gauge when I bought it from the dealer for my mowing business ..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2022, 09:12 AM   #1326
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
If the old Cox is in fairly tidy conditionI would reckon it is well worth fixing.As slowsnake linked and on google/ ebay there seems to be either genuine or aftermarket drive cones for$140-200+ available.Even if you don’t need it you will probably sell the mower for quire a few $$$
Yep , thanks. That sounds pretty good .. Shell probably need a new cutting belt and the blade too . She has chain drive because the engine is rear mount and the drive sprocket is basically right under the engine..Thanks again ..
Old 10-01-2022, 09:52 AM   #1327
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I live in a very bushy gully in Syd that is high maintenance.
Well it may suit some re battery power but I really do not care I enjoy my coal powered tools - I’m soon needing to upgrade my briggsy trusty ol mower and for the money I’d spend on a high end battery one I’ll go Honda coal power self propelled to last me till I’m 6’ under.
Even my young gen neighbour who has tried to adapt to battery power I noticed gave in got a sthyl coal blower - admittedly I notice he doesn’t buy high end stuff but having a battle axe driveway and all his battery blower was not to standard.
Long live coal power for me at this stage.

I have too many mowers..Don't really need 'em all either . But I'm addicted and can't part with them ..Makita 140 CC , Yard Force (newest) , MTD side throw , MTD conventional that's done a power of work , and ol'faithful my only 2 stroke Rover ..She has this really gutsy Suzuki engine and will cut anything. Two brushcutters (Jonsered and Husqvarna) and the Husqvarna ride on and a Cox being considered for restoration . A Makita blower , Rockwell blower and battery line trimmer and a Jonsered hedge trimmer and a couple of old chainsaws..
But I drool over Honda's . I use one at work quite often when I do fill in yard work and it's a joy to use ...and it's an older Buffalo .. Very nice .

This is lovely.... (still drooling) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW6-k1dRBCI ....... beaut .

One day , one day ...... I just might end up buying one but I'll need to offload one or two others first I guess ...

Good luck finding one that suits your needs . I'm sure you will .
Old 10-01-2022, 12:22 PM   #1328
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
I have too many mowers..Don't really need 'em all either . But I'm addicted and can't part with them ..Makita 140 CC , Yard Force (newest) , MTD side throw , MTD conventional that's done a power of work , and ol'faithful my only 2 stroke Rover ..She has this really gutsy Suzuki engine and will cut anything. Two brushcutters (Jonsered and Husqvarna) and the Husqvarna ride on and a Cox being considered for restoration . A Makita blower , Rockwell blower and battery line trimmer and a Jonsered hedge trimmer and a couple of old chainsaws..
But I drool over Honda's . I use one at work quite often when I do fill in yard work and it's a joy to use ...and it's an older Buffalo .. Very nice .

This is lovely.... (still drooling) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW6-k1dRBCI ....... beaut .

One day , one day ...... I just might end up buying one but I'll need to offload one or two others first I guess ...

Good luck finding one that suits your needs . I'm sure you will .
Even if its not for active use, i reckon resurrecting the cox would be a self satisfying project. Disregarding parts cost, obtaining parts will probably be the challenging thing. Mechanically there isnt many if any complex systems. But the moment you get it started and the first test run, if all is good it will be worth the effort. Even if you do choose to offload it, its easier to do so if it works properly.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2022, 06:18 PM   #1329
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
I’ll be curious which of the HR self propelled range you think……..
Typical lawns, 3 above average sections to cut at split levels - 2 sections I need to lift up 4steps - so heavy one won’t be great as I age in due time catcher would need to detach.
1 section I currently need to empty catcher 4 times min depending grass height for eg….another section pretty much same…..3rd section doesn’t fill catcher.
Don’t think I need those in range at the 1200buck and more me think plus I see they are heavy.

There is a lot to unpack here, so hopefully I can convey this clearly.

Honda offer three very different options for self propel.

In a very basic break down, this is how the series pans out -

HRN216 - these models are 21" steel base mowers aimed at the price sensitive US market. They don't cut it for me, things like bar blades are not good for efficient catching, stupid front and rear height adjustment. The motor in these is a belt driven OHC 170cc.
https://powerequipment.honda.com.au/.../mowers/hrn216

Cutting Range - 27-100mm
Weight - 40 kg
Price - $799, $899, $999
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HRX217 - these are again a US spec mower with 21" cut and a plastic deck. The bar blade and four! height adjusters is stupid. The 200cc motor is strong, again a belt driven OHC.
https://powerequipment.honda.com.au/.../mowers/hrx217

Cutting Range - 19-101mm
Weight - 44kg
Price - $1399, $1599
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HRU216 - this is the commercial quality mower with an alloy 21" base, 3-speed gearbox, single height adjustment and 4 swing back blades. Engine is the bullit proof GXV160 OHV 163cc.
https://powerequipment.honda.com.au/...mowers/hru216#

Cutting Range - not stated
Weight - 53 kg
Price - $1769
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One thing I would say is that you are going to notice the added weight of a self propel mower, especially the alloy HRU216, in fact all alloy Honda's are a tad heavy.

Two other options for you -

Bushranger 53AH 800SP - I have this as my main mower, it's built like a brick sh.t house! 21" alloy base, 3 speed gearbox with shaft rather than belt drive and the excellent Honda GXV160. If you want to spend over $1500 on a Honda powered mower, I think this is better than the HRU216 for the same price.
https://bushrangerpe.com.au/browse-p...er-pu53ah6imsp

Cutting Range - 25 - 76mm
Weight - 53kg
Price - $1799

Victa Commercial 19" 850 I/C SP - This is labeled "commercial" but is based on the 19" Mustang base. I know you want a Honda engine, but this 190cc OHV is VERY stout! I think this mower would better suit your need to lift over steps ect as it only weighs 38 kg.
https://www.victa.com/au/en_au/produ...850-ic-sp.html

Cutting Range - 13 - 72mm
Weight - 38kg
Price - $1499

##If it were me, considering your lawns and steps ect, I would be looking at the Victa as it's lighter and easier to maneuver. The catcher is larger than the domestic Victa's and I love that engine. This one is a 19" cut but is still bigger than your old 18" steel based Victa.

Second choice would be the Bushranger, this needs to be manhandled (likewise the HRU216) but you will soon get used to using the drive system to help in this regard, and the shaft drive/metal wheels/heavy duty base will last a lifetime.

Third choice would be the Honda HRU216. The other model Honda's are either cheaply made and/or poorly suited to how we mow lawns in Australia. The HRU is often the contractors choice, but I am seeing more and more using the Bushranger these days.

I hope that helps. As you can see, self-propel adds plenty to the cost and weight of a new lawn mower, as does the Honda factor. For example, the Bushranger also comes with a Loncin 196 cc I/C engine for $410 less! When Victa offered a Honda engine option it was priced well above the B&S engine.
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2022, 06:25 PM   #1330
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

HRN216 - these models are 21" steel base mowers aimed at the price sensitive US market. They don't cut it for me, things like bar blades are not good for efficient catching, stupid front and rear height adjustment. The motor in these is a belt driven OHC 170cc.

Cutting Range - 27-100mm
Weight - 40 kg
Price - $799, $899, $999
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HRX217 - these are again a US spec mower with 21" cut and a plastic deck. The bar blade and four! height adjusters is stupid. The 200cc motor is strong, again a belt driven OHC.

Cutting Range - 19-101mm
Weight - 44kg
Price - $1399, $1599

HRU216 - this is the commercial quality mower with an alloy 21" base, 3-speed gearbox, single height adjustment and 4 swing back blades. Engine is the bullit proof GXV160 OHV 163cc.

Weight - 53 kg
Price - $1769

One thing I would say is that you are going to notice the added weight of a self propel mower, especially the alloy HRU216, in fact all alloy Honda's are a tad heavy.

Bushranger 53AH 800SP - I have this as my main mower, it's built like a brick sh.t house! 21" alloy base, 3 speed gearbox with shaft rather than belt drive and the excellent Honda GXV160. If you want to spend over $1500 on a Honda powered mower, I think this is better than the HRU216 for the same price.

Weight - 53kg
Price - $1799

Victa Commercial 19" 850 I/C SP - This is labeled "commercial" but is based on the 19" Mustang base. I know you want a Honda engine, but this 190cc OHV is VERY stout! I think this mower would better suit your need to lift over steps ect as it only weighs 38 kg.

Weight - 38kg
Price - $1499

##If it were me, considering your lawns and steps ect, I would be looking at the Victa as it's lighter and easier to maneuver. The catcher is larger than the domestic Victa's and I love that engine. This one is a 19" cut but is still bigger than your old 18" steel based Victa.

Second choice would be the Bushranger, this needs to be manhandled (likewise the HRU216) but you will soon get used to using the drive system to help in this regard, and the shaft drive/metal wheels/heavy duty base will last a lifetime.

Third choice would be the Honda HRU216. The other model Honda's are either cheaply made and/or poorly suited to how we mow lawns in Australia. The HRU is often the contractors choice, but I am seeing more and more using the Bushranger these days.

I hope that helps. As you can see, self-propel adds plenty to the cost and weight of a new lawn mower, as does the Honda factor. For example, the Bushranger also comes with a Loncin 196 cc I/C engine for $410 less! When Victa offered a Honda engine option it was priced well above the B&S engine.
Just to add to this, if you want to slash the price and weight even further, Victa offer these two as well -

Easy Walker - 19" Steel base with a 163cc OHV engine.
https://www.victa.com/au/en_au/produ...sy-walker.html
Weight - 33kg
Price - $849

Corvette 400 SP - 19" steel base with 163cc OHV engine.
https://www.victa.com/au/en_au/produ...tte-400sp.html
Weight - 35kg
Price - $879
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2022, 09:57 PM   #1331
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In all my years of using mowers the only Victa I've owned and technically it was Dad's mower to be honest, was am old side throw..It was dark green , it had a metal removable shute to send the grass out if not using the hard plastic catcher, revved it's ring off and had a ratchet winder starter with a lever release..

It was loud , sometimes cantankerous to start . problematic decompression valve but geez it would cut ..We took it places that defied logic on the property until it finally gave up the ghost when I was about 20 ...Dad then bought a Scott Bonnar (anybody remember them ) .Dad and I used that mower for about 10 years until Dad passed away in 1989 and I used it myself after that . In 1994 I bought a brand new Rover two stroke and as it happens it was the last 2 stroke I've had .

When I began Rod's Lawns in early 1994 the Rover and an MDT 4 stroke and my Cox Stockman were my fleet . I did it for about three years . Both of the push mowers are still in my shed and still run well..I digress though.

Back to Victa . Courtesy to some very knowledgable fellow AFFers not least DFB FGXR6 it's great to see that Victa in fact are right up there and still making some really good mowers and other equipment ..

Maybe along with a Honda at some stage in the future I could do well to re look at a Victa option as well ..

A company that's been in production in a fiercely competitive market must be doing something very right ...

Old enough to remember classic Aussie ads like this .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeSGmiiPDmQ Someone pretty well known to us Ford fans ...and check out the diverse range at the time...

Last edited by roddy1960; 10-01-2022 at 10:24 PM.
4 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2022, 10:17 PM   #1332
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bugger me.....I had a quick squizz on You Tube (been known to do that a bit) and found the exact same mower we had when I was a little tacker ..

This is exactly the same . Even the colour is .. Incredible .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs0iCyRogKE Enjoy ...
3 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2022, 11:22 PM   #1333
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

guy over this way collects reel mowers.
To say he is OCD is ...well lets say more CDO in alphabetical order.
Posted this as I want to buy ...

man Id eat my dinner off that, then promptly be killed.
Old 11-01-2022, 12:10 AM   #1334
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:

Cutting Range - 27-100mm
Weight - 40 kg
Price - $799, $899, $999

Cutting Range - 19-101mm
Weight - 44kg
Price - $1399, $1599

Weight - 53 kg
Price - $1769

Weight - 53kg
Price - $1799

Weight - 38kg
Price - $1499

I’m so so glad I asked you DFB with all your valued experience………
Thankyou so much !
Opened my eyes a lot - understand your points on the sell for the USA market and it’s telling me a lot.
Front and rear adjustment is not necessary though once you’ve set the height that suits you wouldn’t need to change again.
It’s shifted my mind which is a good thing.
Self drive ones with their weight will really be a PIA getting up the steps - I’d be smarter getting some timber planks tbh but I’m tickled by the Victas !
Close to my heart like roddys post re Dad.
I inherited his trusty ol Mustang and Commando kicking on for 20odd years I was sad having to dump them finally wearing out - the base’s rusted out.
Once I saw the blue one you posted like looking at a blueprint T3 I thought that’s the one !
Having Blue links to Ford I like that.
It’s not ott in price I was planning to spend but it just looks great, light weight and seems the one.
I’ll check the bush ranger and another you posted.
Thanks again been so helpful.

2 users like this post:
Old 11-01-2022, 12:50 AM   #1335
Blue Ice
Living the Dream

I bought one of these last year to replace the Victa 2stroke I've had for the last 15 years due to the deck rotting out (pressed steel) and it's been pretty good, engine is plenty grunty. The push button electric start I thought would be a bit of a gimmick but it's been worth it. Alloy based was what I was chasing in a replacement.

https://www.victa.com/nz/en_nz/produ...-ultimate.html
Blue Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-01-2022, 11:52 AM   #1336
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another motoring well known car person endorsing Victa mowers . This is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTU7p8WgG-s.

Shamelessly off topic (sorry moderators) but like Victa another great Aussie classic (eventually), also sometimes maligned by some like Victa has been at times with the same person endorsing it as well .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJk_-SKLh8Y

Cheers ..

Last edited by roddy1960; 11-01-2022 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-01-2022, 04:51 PM   #1337
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
I’m so so glad I asked you DFB with all your valued experience………
Thankyou so much !
Opened my eyes a lot - understand your points on the sell for the USA market and it’s telling me a lot.
Front and rear adjustment is not necessary though once you’ve set the height that suits you wouldn’t need to change again.
It’s shifted my mind which is a good thing.
Self drive ones with their weight will really be a PIA getting up the steps - I’d be smarter getting some timber planks tbh but I’m tickled by the Victas !
Close to my heart like roddys post re Dad.
I inherited his trusty ol Mustang and Commando kicking on for 20odd years I was sad having to dump them finally wearing out - the base’s rusted out.
Once I saw the blue one you posted like looking at a blueprint T3 I thought that’s the one !
Having Blue links to Ford I like that.
It’s not ott in price I was planning to spend but it just looks great, light weight and seems the one.
I’ll check the bush ranger and another you posted.
Thanks again been so helpful.

A couple of more points that come to mind -

*The blue Victa Easy Walker is a Bunning's only model. It's a higher spec that is not always stocked at every store so you may need to order it.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/victa-ea...mower_p0080736

*If it were me, I would get the non-Bunning's version but that's more of a case of I prefer to buy this sort of thing from an expert in the field. Either way, if you need service or repair, it will be going back to the dealer and not Bunning's.

*The self propel on these is a single speed, about 5 kph.

*The 163cc OHV engine is going to be a decent step up from you old 148cc side valve engine. It's the same capacity of the Honda and has more torque at 9.8 Nm vs 9.6 Nm.

*The lighter steel frame is going to suit you more than the Alloy commercial models.

*I tend to always recommend Victa's for a reason. I have used Honda's, Masport's, Rover's and various others, I always come back to the Victa's for the performance and catching ability. I found my Honda to heavy and the angle of the handle had me stooped over it, the Masport flogged out its base in less than 12 months.
Mustang GT

Old 11-01-2022, 09:28 PM   #1338
ford12

Anyone have any experience with the bushranger lawn mowers ? They have an engine branded Kohler, I was a bit worried when the engine says oil never needs to be changed.
ford12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2022, 09:41 PM   #1339
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford12 View Post
Xs
Anyone have any experience with the bushranger lawn mowers ? They have an engine branded Kohler, I was a bit worried when the engine says oil never needs to be changed.
Which model are you looking at?

I have the big bugger 53AH with the Honda on it, that replaced a Rover with a Kohler engine.

That Kohler has done a power of work. It burned oil from day one, not in a smokey way but I seemed to be topping it regularly. I never liked that engine, despite what the brochure states, for what is larger engine (173cc vs 163cc for the Honda) it never seemed to have enough grunt.

I note Bushranger offer certain models with Briggs and Stratton's, I would recommend those over a Kohler.

https://bushrangerpe.com.au/browse-p...ey-start-mower
https://bushrangerpe.com.au/browse-p...wer-bush46tb6m
https://bushrangerpe.com.au/browse-p...er-bush46tb5em

Avoid this one however as it only has 125cc -
https://bushrangerpe.com.au/browse-p...wer-bush46tb45
Mustang GT

Old 11-01-2022, 09:44 PM   #1340
MDS69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

After a bit of advice.
So I picked up a Stihl FSA 57 battery line trimmer yesterday and proceeded to attack my 4 week overdue edges after my 20year old Stihl FSA 45 gave up the ghost. I was a little underwhelmed. The effort to trim the edges was far greater than my old trimmer but I will say it did trim the leaf/blade satisfactory but it struggled with the runners (Sir Walter). Once I get back into weekly or maintenance mode I am sure it will be up to the task. I also only got 80m or so trimming before the standard battery went flat but again it’s first workout was unusually thick. Also the standard line of 1.6mm is rubbish. I use 2.4mm in my old unit and will be looking to upgrade to min 2.0mm when the supplied stuff runs out.
So my question is does anyone have the same unit and what cord do you run. What is the biggest you can fit ignoring the manual.

Once my 20 year old Victa packs it in I will look at the Stihl RMA 460 mover with another battery. Any feedback on this mower. I am on a 550m2 mostly level block. The buffalo is fairly spongy.
MDS69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2022, 09:46 PM   #1341
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Briggs and Stratton also state no changing the oil, only top ups as well.

Please ignore that recommendation. The traditional rule of thumb is change the oil after the first 5 hours on a new engine, then annually or 50 hours thereafter.
Mustang GT

Old 11-01-2022, 09:59 PM   #1342
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDS69 View Post
After a bit of advice.
So I picked up a Stihl FSA 57 battery line trimmer yesterday and proceeded to attack my 4 week overdue edges after my 20year old Stihl FSA 45 gave up the ghost. I was a little underwhelmed. The effort to trim the edges was far greater than my old trimmer but I will say it did trim the leaf/blade satisfactory but it struggled with the runners (Sir Walter). Once I get back into weekly or maintenance mode I am sure it will be up to the task. I also only got 80m or so trimming before the standard battery went flat but again it’s first workout was unusually thick. Also the standard line of 1.6mm is rubbish. I use 2.4mm in my old unit and will be looking to upgrade to min 2.0mm when the supplied stuff runs out.
So my question is does anyone have the same unit and what cord do you run. What is the biggest you can fit ignoring the manual.

Once my 20 year old Victa packs it in I will look at the Stihl RMA 460 mover with another battery. Any feedback on this mower. I am on a 550m2 mostly level block. The buffalo is fairly spongy.
The head on that machine is the AutoCut C 3-2 which states 1.6mm line. I dont remember how line is loaded into that head, but what used to shave down the ends of 2.4mm line into a spool designed for 2.0.

If you bought the FSA 57 as a kit form, you will have the smallest AK10 battery, explaing the lack of "range".

If you do go for a Stihl lawn mower, if you do for a RMA 460, buy it as a skin only then buy a larger AK20 or AK30 battery to give you sufficient run time.

But also please make sure that it will cut low enough for you, the RMA 460 has a 35mm lowest cut height. On Sir Walter, that might be ok but I would go out and measure your current mower on it regular setting to see if it will be suit. 35mm is very high, I know someone who did buy one of these and he hates it.
Mustang GT

Old 11-01-2022, 10:03 PM   #1343
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
A couple of more points that come to mind -

*The blue Victa Easy Walker is a Bunning's only model. It's a higher spec that is not always stocked at every store so you may need to order it.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/victa-ea...mower_p0080736

*If it were me, I would get the non-Bunning's version but that's more of a case of I prefer to buy this sort of thing from an expert in the field. Either way, if you need service or repair, it will be going back to the dealer and not Bunning's.

*The self propel on these is a single speed, about 5 kph.

*The 163cc OHV engine is going to be a decent step up from you old 148cc side valve engine. It's the same capacity of the Honda and has more torque at 9.8 Nm vs 9.6 Nm.

*The lighter steel frame is going to suit you more than the Alloy commercial models.

*I tend to always recommend Victa's for a reason. I have used Honda's, Masport's, Rover's and various others, I always come back to the Victa's for the performance and catching ability. I found my Honda to heavy and the angle of the handle had me stooped over it, the Masport flogged out its base in less than 12 months.

Again thanks for the heads up re the Bunnings only source on that victa.
That would put me off once I found out as well - I like good backup and dealing with people who know their product - not sellers only.

You’ve put me in the right paths when and where I’ll buy the upgrade.

Interesting your pov on victas now….
I swore by them back in the day, they served me well - even before changing to a briggsy 4stroker.
I think I changed to briggsy because I got word once GUD holdings sold victa product quality went backwards to what it was.
Sounds like they have recovered.
Good to hear.

2 users like this post:
Old 11-01-2022, 10:10 PM   #1344
ford12

Quote:
Which model are you looking at?

I have the big bugger 53AH with the Honda on it, that replaced a Rover with a Kohler engine.

That Kohler has done a power of work. It burned oil from day one, not in a smokey way but I seemed to be topping it regularly. I never liked that engine, despite what the brochure states, for what is larger engine (173cc vs 163cc for the Honda) it never seemed to have enough grunt.

I note Bushranger offer certain models with Briggs and Stratton's, I would recommend those over a Kohler.

https://bushrangerpe.com.au/browse-p...ey-start-mower
https://bushrangerpe.com.au/browse-p...wer-bush46tb6m
https://bushrangerpe.com.au/browse-p...er-bush46tb5em

Avoid this one however as it only has 125cc -
https://bushrangerpe.com.au/browse-p...wer-bush46tb45
Model was 46TK6M. The guy said this is as good as a Victa corvette 300. It was $250 cheaper as well.
ford12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2022, 10:29 PM   #1345
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Again thanks for the heads up re the Bunnings only source on that victa.
That would put me off once I found out as well - I like good backup and dealing with people who know their product - not sellers only.

You’ve put me in the right paths when and where I’ll buy the upgrade.

Interesting your pov on victas now….
I swore by them back in the day, they served me well - even before changing to a briggsy 4stroker.
I think I changed to briggsy because I got word once GUD holdings sold victa product quality went backwards to what it was.
Sounds like they have recovered.
Good to hear.

I guess we have narrowed it down to the Corvette 40SP then!
Mustang GT

Old 12-01-2022, 09:13 AM   #1346
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I guess we have narrowed it down to the Corvette 40SP then!
Beautiful mower is the Corvette 40 SP . Covers a lot of bases .....I had a look at a fairly recent Victa general range guide (I think) too by the way. Really cool gear .

https://www.victa.com/au/en_au/produ...wn-mowers.html .

You've pricked my interest again too and found this very interesting indeed.. Quality stuff and a terrific range for most people .

Also been watching several vids on YT of the really old girls , especially the utility mowers of the 1960's and 70's . Also the VC series (very gutsy engines) and this vid was awesome too..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8eVo8uUYOs&t=19s .

DFB , out of curiosity when was the last 2 stroke Victa mower released and has any other engines than tried and true Briggs and Stratton four strokes been used .

Huge fan of the Briggsy's . My only two stroke ( Rover } has a Suzuki motor but the other four are all Briggs. The Husqvarna ride on has the Husky 19.5 hp engine of course . Never ever had an unfixable issue with BS at home or at work when I was greenkeeping ..So reliable .

In the shed , my old Cox Stockman has the 10.5 hp Briggs and Stratton I/C sitting quetly ..hopefully she'll fire up again one day if I can hunt up the drive cone etc to get her going again ...She's from 1994 .

Last edited by roddy1960; 12-01-2022 at 09:26 AM.
Old 12-01-2022, 08:52 PM   #1347
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post

DFB , out of curiosity when was the last 2 stroke Victa mower released and has any other engines than tried and true Briggs and Stratton four strokes been used .
Ooooh! Now you have opened a can of worms that I'm all to happy to digest!

I'll start on the 2-Strokes -

First, let be known Victa was bought out by Briggs and Stratton in the late 2000's. Ever since, less and less models were available with the Victa 2-Stroke engine.

From memory, Victa announced they would stop making 2-Strokes around 2015/2016. Production lasted a bit longer than that as demand seemed to be high, I was told "they found some more engines". In the last years of production, that engine was made in China, then assembled in South Australia.

I bought two brand new 2-Stroke Victa's for keepsakes, a Mustang in 2015 and the second one a MasterCut was in April 2018, one of the last. Both have at least paid for themselves three times over in that time.

Mustang (Absolutely nothing gets in the way of this thing!) -

Mastercut 460 (They are only this clean once!) -

Check out the long range fuel tank on this model. I accidentally snapped the fuel tap on tank, emptying the better part of 5.4 litres of 2-Stoke fuel into the tray of my ute, was not happy after that! Had to replace the whole tank too.

In terms of other engines Victa has used over the years, there have been a couple.

For a period during the 1990's, Victa were fitting Tecumseh engines. These were a direct competitor to B&S engines, they even had side-valves and similar cubic capacity. These were not popular engines on Victa's. Tecumseh is no longer either.

Honda engines have also been used on and off, they were available up until recently on their commercial mowers. I guess B&S didn't want the competition. Both the OHC GCV 160 and OHV GXV 160 were used.

For a brief period to get a lower price point, just before B&S bought Victa, they were using a Chinese made OHV engine they called the V40.

In the same vein, Victa currently have a selected range of models fitted with a similar Chinese made engine they call the V127, V144 and V170, the numbers denoting the cubic capacity. These engines are sold up $100 less than their B&S equivalents.

https://www.victa.com/au/en_au/produ...ette--400.html

What annoys me is that Victa as a brand is the orginator of the lawn mower as we know it. Why do they cheapen their brand image with cost driven models that are nothing more than cheaply re-branded crap, both engines and mowers overall. The Sonic and Corvette V127 are prime examples.

https://www.victa.com/au/en_au/produ...ers/sonic.html
https://www.victa.com/au/en_au/produ...ette-v127.html

I know they are doing this to compete with the Aldi and Big W specials, but it cheapens the brand that should be proud to make and sell a premium product, with premium engines.
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2022, 09:04 PM   #1348
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Re: Mowing ..

Quote:
After a bit of advice.

I've been running the RMS 460 for the past 2 years at home; similar size buffalo lawn and couldn't be happier. I'm moving to Stihl battery gear as other tools die. So far I have the hedge trimmer. Will probably get an additional battery with the line trimmer next.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2022, 09:04 PM   #1349
MDS69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The head on that machine is the AutoCut C 3-2 which states 1.6mm line. I dont remember how line is loaded into that head, but what used to shave down the ends of 2.4mm line into a spool designed for 2.0.

If you bought the FSA 57 as a kit form, you will have the smallest AK10 battery, explaing the lack of "range".

If you do go for a Stihl lawn mower, if you do for a RMA 460, buy it as a skin only then buy a larger AK20 or AK30 battery to give you sufficient run time.

But also please make sure that it will cut low enough for you, the RMA 460 has a 35mm lowest cut height. On Sir Walter, that might be ok but I would go out and measure your current mower on it regular setting to see if it will be suit. 35mm is very high, I know someone who did buy one of these and he hates it.
Thanks for the reply. With regards to your comment on measuring my cut height can you suggest how to do that. Is it as simple as placing the mover on a hard surface and measuring to the bottom lip of the deck. My current Victa Silver Streak has a fixed height Vía a nut and bolt as the front axle has flogged out the bushes and deck over time.
MDS69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2022, 09:22 PM   #1350
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. With regards to your comment on measuring my cut height can you suggest how to do that. Is it as simple as placing the mover on a hard surface and measuring to the bottom lip of the deck. My current Victa Silver Streak has a fixed height Vía a nut and bolt as the front axle has flogged out the bushes and deck over time.
Cut your lawn as normal, then measure the blade length from ground level to the top of the grass blade.
Mustang GT