Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-09-2012, 09:59 PM   #91
brydie76
Moff-fan

Default Re: iPhone 5 Announced

Just pre-ordered a 16GB in black through Telstra (chose to do this and break my current contract with Optus over buying outright, as the plan has been to move to Telstra for quite a while now and is cheaper this way). Call me boring, call me a sheep, but I can't wait to get it!!! : D

Now rocking a 2012 Suzuki Swift Sport!
brydie76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2012, 10:17 PM   #92
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nokia FTW...

I just don't like the way Apple locks you up so tightly...I have a Nokia N9, but my music player is an Ipod Touch. It broke down, had to buy a new one, and had a hell of a time transferring the music that I knew was on my computer onto my new iPod.
DRM (Digital Rights Management" is a ***** as well and means you can't copy something you have bought and paid for...

"Transfer purchases"...? Yep...only works up to a point though, especially when a lot of music in your iTunes library is from old CD's and borrowed CD's that you now longer have. I eventually downloaded an independent program that allowed me to use the iPod like a separate disc drive and load stuff directly onto it.

Too many restrictions, Apple...sorry.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2012, 10:25 PM   #93
Rastus
XY,XC,XEx2,XA,EF,AU,BA,XY

I'm in the market for a new phone and I'm undecided. I was hanging out for the 5, and now I'm a little disappointed with the overall look and screen size. Like many, I was hoping for bigger screen & maybe a different look/shape. Might've been my expectations seeing all these new Android phones and their features & sizes.
I've had my iPhone 3G since the initial release, so she's over 4 years old and starting to slow up....mind you Apple did a lot of that themselves when pushing iOS4 onto 3G users. I've Jailbroken only for SB settings, which the Android widgets give you. Does iOS6 give us east to access widgets to most used settings?, I bet not. Gotta go thru the menus I guess.
Only real problem of late with my 3G is that the microphone is now flakey.
I must say, it's been the best phone I've had by far. 4 years! That's great, and I was originally worried that the fixed battery would be a real problem, seeing previous phones batteries were the main cause of grief.
AdamL, that picture above is spot on. Nokia's & SE's beforehand, then onto a wicked touchscreen phone (the 3G) with so many easy to use features.
Seeing that the phone is now more than a phone with browsing & what not, the main thing was the screen size. 4" is better but dunno if enough. Maybe it's my eyes!
And as I've read somewhere else, the 5 near looks like a remote control with it's stretched dimensions. So, it's wait till I can hold the 5, the Samsung SIII 4G, and maybe the Nokia 920 in my hand at the shop, and I'll make the decision then.
Old 14-09-2012, 11:42 PM   #94
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I like Iphone simply because I find them so easy to use and its very quick to navigate from app to app, internet, email etc.

Even my 2 and half year old knows how to use it, he knows how to unlock it, open up the Thomas the Tank Engine and Talking Tom apps and how to make phone calls by opening up the log and pressing a random name (annoying). I even switched it off yesterday to stop him playing with it and he figured out how to turn it back on again within 2 minutes.

Shows how easy to use it is.

I'll definately be upgrading to the 5 when my contracts up early next year.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2012, 11:55 PM   #95
BHDOGS
Banned

It's lighter faster and bigger must of taking a genius to come up with that maybe they should do this to a car? Lmao
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2012, 03:02 AM   #96
Jack960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Jesus, people are actually going to buy this crap? Its screen is 8mm taller and the device is 30 grams lighter. Its processor is SLIGHTLY faster.
Its a lighter, tiny bit bigger version of the Iphone 4S and yet people will still fork out all there money for it.
The Iphone has essentially not changed since the original, just minor upgrades.

I find this amusing seeing as the HTC and Samsung models were released months ago, both with quad core processing, more ram, new screen technology, new android operating systems, all new useful features. With about 5 months of extra time, Apple couldn't come up with anything?

No wondering they are trying to sue Samsung and patent the style of the phone.
Jack960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #97
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdIWKytq_q4
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2012, 12:35 PM   #98
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Regarding the iphone screen and durability. Almost all the iphones at work are onto their second screen. Some just don't bother getting them repaired any more. I have a HTC Desire HD that is one of the most robust phones I have ever had. I have dropped it several times, from many heights and the only problem it got was 1 corner is impacted around 1/4mm.

I once pulled the phone out of my pocket too fast with wet hands in the staffroom when it was ringing. It flew through the air and landed on its face with such a loud bang that everyone thought it was new phone time. It stopped ringing. In actual fact, it has a feature that turns off the ring tone when you turn it over lol.

I picked it up, answered the call and nothing was wrong.

As for the iphone. I think the fanbase is shrinking as new models are few and far between. In the time people have been waiting for the new iphone how many HTC products have been released? Samsung? etc. When you think about these products, a lot of the customers don't necessarily need a new phone, just what what is new at that point in time.

I will hold onto my HTC till it's totally broken or stolen. The design was excellent - Aluninium body, screen that is mounted within the frame with a buffer, battery that can be changed, just right proportions (IMO). 50-60g heavier than the newer phones as well.

Only think I miss is the 3-10 days of battery life with the old style bar phones.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2012, 12:59 PM   #99
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

A lot of the guys at work have cracked screens, doesn't seem like it takes much to crack the screen on the iPhones.

I dropped my HTC HD2 out of a catering truck a few weeks back, bounced off some steel box section, then onto the ground below from about 2m up and no cracked screen, everyone thought it was new phone time.

Though I've had it for more than 2 years now, time for something new I think.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2012, 01:11 PM   #100
Windsor220
Now Fordless

I've never understood the whole "I find them easier to use' thing for iphones. I dont think anyone using an Android phone or similar are having difficulties using them.

As for screens, I've lost count of how many people I know with broken screens with iphones. I drop my Galaxy probably on average at least 5 times a week onto concrete and and it hasn't broken yet.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2012, 01:27 PM   #101
JC807
sucksqueezebangblow

I like that Apple bring out a new model every 2 two years and a 'facelifted'/series 2 model every other year. The telcos often ring you after about 20 months to see if you want them to send you the latest phone. its just so easy. Apple not making the 5 super different is clever as it doesn't make all the existing customers feel too outdated.

the 3gs i had was my first iphone and was the only phone i've EVER had that lasted the contract period (or at least until they rang to upgrade me early). My wife still uses it now until her plan is up.
The 4s i have now is still copping abuse, dropped it heaps and never had the screen crack (even if it did you can get it fixed at most shopping centres now for hardly anything).
Not being 'into' latest tech these days, i just wanted a computer and a phone that works and is fast. I don't steal music from the net so only needed to burn my cds to the computer and now I just buy from the itunes site (although $1 per song would be better). all very simple.

I feel that Samsung or Microsoft should really try this model, making both hardware and the software that runs it. I hated windows always updating, virus scanner updating it really seemed to slow the machines down after a year or so of owning them. my MacBook is probaby 3 years old and since we haven't loaded any extra software on it (except MYOB and office), its still as fast as the day we bought it.
If Samsung or Microsoft were more like this I would give them a try next time.
Old 15-09-2012, 03:56 PM   #102
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
I've never understood the whole "I find them easier to use' thing for iphones. I dont think anyone using an Android phone or similar are having difficulties using them.

As for screens, I've lost count of how many people I know with broken screens with iphones. I drop my Galaxy probably on average at least 5 times a week onto concrete and and it hasn't broken yet.
I don't think iphones are easier to use. When my father in law got the 4s we couldn't work out how to make their favourite song a ring tone....

Took 30-40 minutes, with the help of this forum to make it happen.

Took 2 minutes after opening the box to do it on my Android phone.

Old 15-09-2012, 04:01 PM   #103
tweeked
N/A all the way

I just dont get excited about phones. 1st stage of getting old I guess.

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2012, 04:02 PM   #104
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son

Reminds me of those Chaser clips... Much the same actually.... walking the streets of the US asking random questions ;)

Old 15-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #105
starkersEB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I personally hate apple. After having a 3gs that stopped working and them to say it had water damage (which I know for a fact it never got more than a bit of sweat etc.. on it) because one of those stupid red tabs was showing, then not cover it under warranty without actually taking it apart and proving what was wrong. ( because that's apples policy) I cracked the poos and got a refurbished one at half price. But shouldn't have had to pay a cent! Plus the time I updated iTunes and lost 13,000 songs and won't recognise my iPod so I can't put any more music on it unless i want to wipe it and start all over again.

Baisicly you are buying the right to use apple products and apple dictate on how to use them its bulls...

I have an android now and will never contemplate an iPhone again.

Apple are the kings of marketing an average product so well they make you think you can't live without it
starkersEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #106
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
I don't think iphones are easier to use. When my father in law got the 4s we couldn't work out how to make their favourite song a ring tone....

Took 30-40 minutes, with the help of this forum to make it happen.

Took 2 minutes after opening the box to do it on my Android phone.
I'll second that...message tones as well, it's that 'you can personalise, but we're going to make it incredibly difficult for you'. I'm a bit of a nerd, google had to help me that day. I'd had the phone less than 4 hours and I wanted to throw it.

I had buyers remorse something fierce, and once this contract is up, I won't be purchasing another one. The ipod craps itself in the FG every so often and my macbook beachballed from the get go...whilst Apple 'bundle' things very nicely, I just don't think they're for me.

Co-incidently, this announcement from Apple must have scared my 4S...it's now a little 'glitchy' for want of a better word.

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2012, 04:44 PM   #107
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy
I'll second that...message tones as well, it's that 'you can personalise, but we're going to make it incredibly difficult for you'. I'm a bit of a nerd, google had to help me that day. I'd had the phone less than 4 hours and I wanted to throw it.

I had buyers remorse something fierce, and once this contract is up, I won't be purchasing another one. The ipod craps itself in the FG every so often and my macbook beachballed from the get go...whilst Apple 'bundle' things very nicely, I just don't think they're for me.

Co-incidently, this announcement from Apple must have scared my 4S...it's now a little 'glitchy' for want of a better word.

+ I hear your ever loving partner's HTC One XL is still running fantastically.....

Current Ride - 2013 Ford Ranger, XLT 4x4, ARB kitted brick
Former Current ride - 09 XR6T in Octane, with a pinch of Sports pack
Weekender - Ford Cortina 1969 coupe
Project - 1968 Ford Cortina 4 door
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2012, 04:50 PM   #108
henry351

Why is apple so special?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPYromrN7OI
henry351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2012, 05:27 PM   #109
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Battery that can be changed
Biggy right there...Apple have never understood the idea of the customer being able to do something with the item he has spent good money on...non-changeable batteries (at least outside the store), no micro SD memory card slot to increase the memory, amongst other limitations.

My Nokia N9 is great...I've had Nokias since I first got a mobile many years ago. The same Micro SD full of photos, messages, settings, etc, has been changed from my last four Nokia phones. I recently changed it for a 32gb one from the original 8gb which had been in three phones. after copying all the files over to the new one. I know with my next phone I'll just take it out, put it in the new one, and presto, everything is still there without faffing around backing stuff up in iTunes and transferring it to the new one.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #110
H.G
Driver Returns On Foot

Ill be buying a new apple Iphone I think.. and probably mostly because of this thread hahaha..
And because people are so passionate about disliking them.. and feel the need to tell you about it..

but then I own and Imac.. and have owned 3 Iphones... I love I tunes.. but didnt like Isnack but I cant wait to get an Ipad...

and Ill tell you why......

Its all about me!
Cheers
" IHG "
H.G is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #111
Jack960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I broke my HTC desires screen, cracked it a little. Don't ask me the events leading up to this, but it fell out of a car at 70km/h. The phone still worked.
Ive got a galaxy S3 now, dropped it multiple times, its still fine.
Jack960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2012, 08:20 PM   #112
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I liked that woman in the background on that Nine News report. As soon as she heard the reporter say Apple are desperate, she turned around and looked at him. When he said it was because of the Android phone, she shook her head.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2012, 08:22 PM   #113
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Its a phone come on seriously...
I dropped my old iPhone 4 numerous times, even fell out the car door and it worked fine and the 3GS i had was much the same, i only changed to a HTC because i wanted a change. The iPhones i had were faultless, i did jailbreak my 4.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2012, 08:35 PM   #114
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

I am considering this phone for the first time, and would go the biggest memory available, this despite being fairly anti-apple and hating the way they try and control everything. The only reason I am seriously considering it this time is that I am a news junkie and listen to podcasts all the time, and put them on an ipod for drives etc. and would be handy to have a phone do the whole lot rather than two devices. I just find itunes so convenient for downloading and managing podcasts, every android thing I have tried for it on my tablet has been absolute crap, the facility on the Nokia N9 I have is also fairly basic and crap. I would rather not go iphone but the podcast ease of use will get me across the line this time.
Old 15-09-2012, 09:16 PM   #115
tregs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When my contract is up I will be getting another iPhone
Old 15-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #116
Spudz27
Call me Spud

I had the 3 the 3s and the 4 and even though I knew the 5 was looming, I still got a galaxy sIII. I am over apples seemingly world dominance attitude, not to mention there is no adobe flash player support and I am sick of going on websites and either have it not work due to not being able to have flash, or be missing half the site.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2012, 09:29 PM   #117
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I found mt 3GS was a great smartphone .... for my first time into the smartphone arena ... was easy to use and very handy with decent apps.

I slowy grew tired of it though .... as I found it's limitations very quickly as Apple being Apple being so proprietary. It was a bit of a pain with a short-life battery that you couldn't change (easily) ... getting songs on and off the device.

I moved over to the Samsung SGSII ... and still love it.
My wife got the SGSI before hand and I thought that was a decent step up ... just general ease of use.

The iphone is good in the fact that is a simple "one layered" device ... where as all Android OS devices are multi-layered ... makes it so much easier to do more than one think at once.

Also I can utilise my phone has a decent size data transfer medium is I have nothing on me to copy data if needed ... it's essentially a mass storage device in your pocket for emergencies .... has come in handy.

And the fact I can just drop literally any music format on it and it plays (with PowerAMP) .... and better sound quality than any ipod device as well.

Oh ... and that removable battery if i need to change it ... and that lasts 2 days of solid use as well ... something Apple couldn't get right.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2012, 09:44 PM   #118
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack960
No wondering they are trying to sue Samsung and patent the style of the phone.
Apple want to eliminate Android completely,
But it's easier (and cheaper) to go after one major company than all the manufacturers of Android phones.

I still like my Desire HD
Old 15-09-2012, 10:06 PM   #119
BHDOGS
Banned

We are apple resistance is futile you will be assimilated your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own we are one
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2012, 11:29 PM   #120
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS
We are apple resistance is futile you will be assimilated your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own we are one
Don't laugh... it already happens.

My brother in law had his iphone fail after 1 month. He took it to the Apple store in the city and not only did they replace the phone, they also pulled most of his personal info from his old phone from Apple cyberspace somewhere.

The phone he got back was 95% like his old one. Contacts, settings, I think even txt messages etc.

Apparently it is all automatically saved for this very reason. He had no clue it was happening, wonder how many people do?