Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-10-2008, 02:03 AM   #91
EBII Ghia

More of the same crap.
No winners, no losers. No idea!
So far the ONLY critiscism of a car is that the gap between the tail gate and the tray of the Navara is too big and stones get caught in there when you are carting rubble around loose in the tray!
Pathetic!

Glen Ridge - 2
Top Gear Aust - 0
EBII Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2008, 02:29 AM   #92
Jayden
Graphic Artist

that episode was heaps better.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:44 AM   #93
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBII Ghia

Glen Ridge - 2
Top Gear Aust - 0

Now that's a bit harsh !!
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2008, 08:14 AM   #94
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have to admit the episode was better. i'm not a fan at all of the "what were they thinking" wall..

that segment and the little bloke just seem to try too hard to be funny.

as has been said, just get the show about cars and the comedy will come eventually.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:36 AM   #95
Creampuff
149 rwkw of Style

What is with people saying "we want the UK back"! This show has not replaced UK version, it has been added to SBS. The UK shows will return after thir crap is over.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:36 AM   #96
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Ah hum... So who got the bullet off idol this week?
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2008, 08:52 AM   #97
WoodysXR6
Wanting a sprint!

lmao the drag of the f6 and gts was way better on drive.com
WoodysXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2008, 09:00 AM   #98
LTDterri
SY TS Territory

Ok I'll add my 2 cents worth, I agree with most of the posts that the Ford v Holden test was a load of BS. How about a real test, instead of the drifting rubbish, how about telling the audience the difference between the 2 cars, which car looks better, which car goes better, which has the better finish, I was so looking forward to this what a let down....I'll keep watching as Im a car nut but that little bloke annoys me, he reminds me of this little rat from a cartoon I watched as a kid. On a positive note I did like the Diamond mine test
LTDterri is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2008, 09:06 AM   #99
fnm17

Yep I am in the boat of it has improved this week, but still in the same train of thought that the guy with the Moe needs the axe .... pushing too hard for his jokes !!
fnm17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2008, 09:13 AM   #100
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought last nights episode was heaps better than the first - it was pretty entertaining (Especially the GT40 segement).

I thought the mine comparo was great - that is what Top Gear is about - weird comparisons/tests and look forward to some more.

I do agree with others though that there is not enough critisism of the cars they drive - thats why Clarkson is so popular - he does not care who he offends. These guys really pussy footed around the Ford/Holden thing making sure not to offend anyone. I think a better approach would be to put Fords/Holdens up against Euros/Japs in bigger 4 car comparos - I think that is what many of us want to see and would avoid offending their Ford/Holden audience as it seems thats what they are petrified of.

Little bloke is still really annoying and could not overact more if he tried, the other two hosts really improved though.

All in all I gave the first episode 2 out of 10. This gets a 6.5/10 - big improvement.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2008, 09:13 AM   #101
desGT

To each their own, some like it, others like myself do not. I actually turned it off. Got sick of the lousy jokes (non stop!), didn't like the presenters, etc etc..
desGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2008, 09:57 AM   #102
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People are being a little harsh on TGA. I think this episode was better than last week's. Although the Ford v Holden battle was hopeless with the HSV accelerating off before the F6. And the braking test when you have no idea who actually hit the brake first.

It was good when one of the hosts asked the audience if they would want a FWD Falcon... And you could hear them all saying no.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2008, 10:25 AM   #103
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

They could've at least buried the Smart car....

If you sneeze with your eyes open, do your eyes pop out??
Scareybear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2008, 10:39 AM   #104
ADSXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I quite enjoyed the show last night, and definitely an improvement on week 1. I too think we are fortunate to have our own TG Aust.

Alot has been said about the F6 v R8, personally, I'd take either.

But what about the GT40 (or GT43). I thought that was a excellent segment. That sound from the 4.6 Whipple supercharged motor and the flames on gear change/acceleration/everything. Absolutely fantastic. I was a little mythed by the RHD thing thou, because there is a guy in Wollongong that has got one that is RHD. Black too.

Anyways, if I win a million dollars on Lotto, the missus half will pay the mortgage, and mine will purchase a GT40!
Old 07-10-2008, 10:45 AM   #105
Boosh Brus

Off topic but isnt it a 5.4l?
Boosh Brus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2008, 10:52 AM   #106
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

Yes it is.
Bad Bird is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2008, 11:19 AM   #107
drw009
Starter Motor

I'm sorry but isnt top gear about entertainment, last night the boys ( and lets point out its only show 2 SEASON 1) showed that they are capable of having fun and entertaining, so what the f6 and r8 only drifted all day and there was no winner, if i want a unbiased (ha) opinion and stats and clear winner (ha) i will pick up wheels or motor, what i wanted to watch was cars being fanged around and flogged and driven hard and some one having fun, i laughed at the warm up the tyres, and when warren got lost and broke his chain, it was great to see them trash the ute trays as well, next week seems to be good to with the parts yard, give them time to grow and they will polish up more, dont expect a journalistic approach to a review just enjoy the cars, isnt that what its about.
drw009 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2008, 11:39 AM   #108
Teflon Turbo
Banned

has anyone recorded the first episode on dvd without ads by any chance? if so pm please.

chris
Teflon Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2008, 12:06 PM   #109
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drw009
I'm sorry but isnt top gear about entertainment, last night the boys ( and lets point out its only show 2 SEASON 1) showed that they are capable of having fun and entertaining, so what the f6 and r8 only drifted all day and there was no winner, if i want a unbiased (ha) opinion and stats and clear winner (ha) i will pick up wheels or motor, ............
If they dont want to give an opinion they should just call it the 'Car Show' and be done with it ......

The reason this UK show works is the unbiased bagging they are willing to give. If they dont (AUS) it will just fall into the categories of all other Aus car shows before it.

Sure there is the entertainment factor as well but it is all about the complete package which at this stage is missing 1/2 of it.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2008, 12:14 PM   #110
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Watch out for this Carsales (et al) ad:

Low k demo's - reduced to clear

Rav4 V6
Subaru Forester Auto
Nissan X Trail CVT
Nissan Navara 4x4 Dual Cab (slightly damaged tailgate)
Subaru Brumby
Ford XR6 ute

Could be painfull...

Seriously though, what happens to the testers? Surely they would not continue to be used as media demo's as they would be shagged, and surely they wouldn't sell them (would they?)... and is there much of a journalistic demand for a Jumbuck media demo?

I too thought last light was better than Ep1, and like some others will continue to give it a go (better than Idol etc), but I found the Smart hearse thing a bit contrived, cringeworthy and un-funny (as funerals generally are too).

I would have liked to see (aussie) Stig do a lap in the F6 and R8 around Wakefield rather than just a drift fest. And surely even if they didn't want to announce an overall winner surely they could have worked in some attributes or downfalls into a if you like rumbly V8's then the R8 is your car, or if you are a bit of a tech head and like techno punch then the F6 is for you etc. While I don't expect (or want) TGA (Tv) to give me all the pro's, cons, times and ratings I can get from the mags, at least give us something.

Given the test of the mine segment was to compare the efficiency of the utes with the 793 - at least mention it in the conclusion, or don't say that's what the test is in the first place.

Getting better, but a proper overview of the test track would be good, even if its on a website or in the TGA mag.

Goose smashed VC from last week though. Long live the MFP!
Old 07-10-2008, 12:27 PM   #111
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by desGT
To each their own, some like it, others like myself do not. I actually turned it off. Got sick of the lousy jokes (non stop!), didn't like the presenters, etc etc..
LOL So did I.

It is unbelievably bad, shockingly so. I dont know how you could stuff the Holden V Ford segment up so much.

It was the most pathetic launch from the F6 aswell. If it was a 1/4 mile why didn't they atleast try and time it etc etc.

The GT40 bit was good, but only for the car, it would be handy to be able to mute the presenter and just keep the car noises.

I actually turned it off during the F V H bit, thats how bad it is. Why are people so quick to say "yeah its crap but ill still watch it, atleast we get our own version".

Id much rather the UK guys just come down here for a couple of episodes, test our cars and report back. Would have saved TG and SBS alot of cash and time.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2008, 12:36 PM   #112
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Just read this whole thread and a couple of observations.
Jeremy did own a GT40 and he did get a full refund from Ford due to the alarm and the fact that Ford didn't want to make an enemy out of him, so gave him back the full amount. A couple of months later, Jeremy bought the same car again as he routinely drove past the dealership daily where it was in the showroom and decided he couldn't live without it. IN the end of 2006 he sold it for his Gallardo.

As for TGA, alot of you are alluding to it finding its feet just as the UK version had to. I have a problem with that kind of assessment, especially considering the UK version was changing its format to what it is today. In TGA, they just copied the winning formula down to every nut and bolt so shouldn't require such a transitional phase. I think the reason some people aren't as accepting of the show is because it is just a cheap knock off of something that was great, as well as the fact that SBS has cancelled showing the UK episodes whilst this rubbish is on. Further, there is no definitive information given, and there appear to be the same sorts of biases that make most Australian car shows look stupid coming to the fore. Frankly, I'm still shaking my head as to why they decided to do it here, especially when SBS purchased the rights from the BBC to make this rubbish.
Congratulations Australia, we have made a knock off that sucked before even the americans who are masters of making their own versions which plainly are crap. (check "the office" for proof). TGA should be called "Tool Time" as it really is a second rate production.

Quote: