Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-06-2009, 05:04 PM   #91
MOTIV8
Just cruizin' around.....

I guess they tried to copy the ad and didnt succeed.......

I wonder if they are going to ban the print advertising also such as the one on the M1 freeway??????
MOTIV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2009, 09:04 PM   #92
QIK006

Default If Lamborghini tried to advertise here :(

Lamborghini LP460 Advert

This has it all... Speeding, 4 wheel drifting, donuts, racing, road rage/agression, sexist behaviour and to top it off, encourages bing drinking by getting you into all of the clubs
QIK006 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2009, 09:44 PM   #93
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Probarbly already been said but if they ban the Z4 add they should also ban:

Speed week
Top Gear
American hotrod
V8 Supercars
All coverage of easter and summernats
The Grand Prix (Globally)
And any news coverage of hoon behavior.

All that media must be worse the a car sliding around on paper painting!

The problem with this Government is that they simply have too much cotton wool and it simply isnt working!!! Hoons will always be hoons and if they think that the hoons will be thinking of media coverage whilst doing a burnout or speeding they are fooling themselves.

Or you can look at it another way. If media is so powerful why arent the TAC and police commercials working??
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2009, 04:23 PM   #94
homegrown
hotshot

I wonder if Mr T will get done for assault for throwing snikers bars at people.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:28 PM   #95
XR8putts

Just saw the ad here in NZ during the 6pm news.. I thought it was quite soft, how that encourages hoon behaviour is beyond me.

This topic reminds me of this ad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ikpMNcSfGQ
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2009, 06:54 PM   #96
MAD
Petro-sexual

I was just watching TV and saw an ad for nurofen zavance. The one where there's two cars racing on a race track and the engineer back at the pits gets a headache.
I thought to myself I wonder how no-one, with nothing more to do than watch TV and try to ban anything and everything, had complained about it.

A quick search of the records at www.adstandards.com.au and what do you know, someone did, but because it is not advertising a car it doesnt matter and they can do what they want with regard to auto related activities.

How does anyone think that by hobbling the auto makers with ridiculous rules is going to make any difference when everyone else can do as they please?

Here's the complaint for reference:
"This advert depicts speeds for a car which are at least 70kms over and above any speed restriction
of any Government in Australia. It encourages speed, and recklessness when driving."

The mind boggles at the thought that someone may actually beleive that an ad for nurofen will entice illegal activies on the road.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:27 PM   #97
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was just reading this regarding that toyota corolla ad where the cats drive the car and has an element of a race car. the bloke who complained wrote this

"I do think you should be able to show a car in a race situation etc in an ad, but Ford and Holden
have ads pulled before for showing even a hint of this eg:(I remember the great BA GT Falcon ad
from around 2003 that showed an old XY GT Falcon driving around Bathurst (a race track) and
morphed into a new GT, that ad was pulled. How about some consistency in code, what's good for
one, is good for the other. If Ford or Holden etc showed even a glimpse of what these 2 ads
portray, It would have been pulled by now,
again,it comes down to consistency... If I had my way, I would leave it up to the consumer to decide
how they should drive their car and interpret the ad, as Australia is already a nanny state, but as I
stated before, you can't play favourites."

then this is the boards response.

"The Board noted the complainants’ concerns that the advertisement depicted “unsafe driving” and
considered the application of Section 2 of the FCAI Code.
The Board noted the advertisement depicted limited driving action and that the driving action that
there was was not on a public road. The Board considered the driving that was depicted had a fantasy
element, as part of the main character’s escape from the other characters. The Board considered the
vehicle appeared to be in the driver’s control at all times and found no breach of Section 2 of the
FCAI Code. The Board also found no other breach of any other section of the FCAI Code."

So how is that any different to the Z4 ad? its obviously got a fantasy element, plus it isn't on a public road.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2009, 07:31 PM   #98
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
I was just watching TV and saw an ad for nurofen zavance. The one where there's two cars racing on a race track and the engineer back at the pits gets a headache.
I thought to myself I wonder how no-one, with nothing more to do than watch TV and try to ban anything and everything, had complained about it.

A quick search of the records at www.adstandards.com.au and what do you know, someone did, but because it is not advertising a car it doesnt matter and they can do what they want with regard to auto related activities.

How does anyone think that by hobbling the auto makers with ridiculous rules is going to make any difference when everyone else can do as they please?

Here's the complaint for reference:
"This advert depicts speeds for a car which are at least 70kms over and above any speed restriction
of any Government in Australia. It encourages speed, and recklessness when driving."

The mind boggles at the thought that someone may actually beleive that an ad for nurofen will entice illegal activies on the road.
Go to america and read some of the warnings on product labels....
Its all bourne from liability law suits.

Old 24-07-2009, 10:55 AM   #99
MAD
Petro-sexual

I received a response from the Advertising Standards Bureau.

Quote:
Thank you for your recent comments about the Advertising Standards Board (Board) determination to uphold complaints against a television advertisement for the BMW Z4 (case 268/09).

The role of the Board in the advertising complaints process is complex and determinations can be difficult. The Board’s only reference point is the prevailing advertising code(s).

The Board found that the television advertisement breached the provisions of the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries Voluntary Code of Practice for Motor Vehicle Advertising (FCAI Code) because the specific driving in the advertisement depicted behaviour that breached specific provisions of the FCAI Code.

The Board does not develop advertising policies or codes of practice in respect to advertising or promotion of goods or services and is bound to consider complaints against the spirit and intent of the AANA Code of Ethics and associated advertising codes, including the FCAI Code.

The FCAI Code was developed by the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries – the peak industry organisation representing vehicle manufacturers and importers of passenger vehicles in Australia.

The Board has little discretion or flexibility in applying the provisions of the Codes. Consideration of complaints against advertisements are not based upon the creative, artistic or technical appeal of an advertisement.

The Board itself is made up of community members selected to broadly represent the “community standard” when considering complaints about the content of any advertisements.

As the secretariat for the Board, the Advertising Standards Bureau welcomes feedback.

Please contact us if you require any further information.

Yours sincerely

Daniela Gray/ Jill Yvanovich
Case Managers
Advertising Standards Bureau
So I guess if we want to see some changes, we need to write to the FCAI.
Old 24-07-2009, 11:40 AM   #100
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD

Or send the ASB complains for every vehicle advert shown. If they have no flexibility on the codes, have every ad banned until some semblance of sanity prevails.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 11:53 AM   #101
fraserc

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84
So let me guess, they act on one complaint only? If so, I could think of half a dozen annoying ads I could of made a "complaint" on to get banned.
+1

How can one complaint show the views of 21 odd million people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carby
I actually lodged a formal complaint against the NSW Cancer Councils "Everybody knows" add on the basis that it was disgusting (usually on just as I sit down for dinner!) and also as it would be impossible to prove that the people depicted contracted "their" disease from smoking - one of the criteria for commercials is they need to be factual.
And an add with a number of complaints, clearly more disturbing than a car add and less factual was within the guidelines, discriminatory or what?

I'd rather watch a car add than gangrened limbs and mouth cancer when i'm eating my dinner -.-
fraserc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 12:23 PM   #102
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunter
Or send the ASB complains for every vehicle advert shown. If they have no flexibility on the codes, have every ad banned until some semblance of sanity prevails.
I like that idea. Except would it be seen as protest, or conformity? If seen as conformity, that may be the boost Harold Scruby needs to get us into his world of utter pedestrian safety.

I saw one last night (cant remember what brand) for a softroader that showed it to be '4 wheel drifting' on a beach, or sand at least... I wonder how that one's been missed by the Grey Grumpies with nothing better to do?

Maybe as a way around all this, all the car manufacturers need to do is have their vehicles shown as often as possible in other companies adverts.
They can do whatever they want then as it is not advertising the car directly.
Old 24-07-2009, 12:54 PM   #103
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD

Its an automated response, I received the exact same reply.
Old 24-07-2009, 12:59 PM   #104
MAD
Petro-sexual

Why would it be automated? How many people do they get complaining about ads that have been banned under the FCAI code?
No doubt if they saw there were multiple complaints at the one time they would have sent the same email out, but it wouldn't be automated.
Old 24-07-2009, 01:21 PM   #105
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
Why would it be automated? How many people do they get complaining about ads that have been banned under the FCAI code?
No doubt if they saw there were multiple complaints at the one time they would have sent the same email out, but it wouldn't be automated.
If its automated why or how would they even know what you wrote???
The FCAI is set up for complaints about advertising, not complaints about what you cant see on TV..!