Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 01:39 AM   #91
FgNewbie
Australia

for those concerned about spelling;
has anyone asked AFF heads if they can implement a spell checker ?
Old 01-12-2010, 01:41 AM   #92
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FgNewbie
for those concerned about spelling;
has anyone asked AFF heads if they can implement a spell checker ?

Actually been asked a few times.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:41 AM   #93
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I've got a plug-in for firefox, works pretty well too .... most of the time
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
Old 01-12-2010, 01:41 AM   #94
FgNewbie
Australia

vztrt what was the response?
Old 01-12-2010, 01:47 AM   #95
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Don't think it could be implemented.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:48 AM   #96
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
There is a very big difference between those that just stuff up some words .... I do it often ..... and those who are just too bone lazy and use SMS. There have been a few warnings issued in extreme cases as it really does my head in!
This sums it up well - if you're going to post at least put a little effort into making it readable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Interesting that I knew an engineer that worked making weapons for the defence force (electronics boards for the guidance systems) yet was absolutely horrible with his spelling.
Good point... the greatest man ever was illiterate.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:49 AM   #97
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Perhaps with russellw and cs123 migrating everything over to the new server this might be able to be implemented with the upgrade?

Sure it's not of paramount importance compared to other things (I.e more bandwidth) but it'd be handy to have
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:54 AM   #98
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Spell check would be great with the new upgrade.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:55 AM   #99
Landau Stable
Landau Tragic

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his many posts on welding and fabricating for coupes 

There is no real way that you can test people and remove them based on their grammar and spelling. Usually you can spot the fat fingered mistakes, or where someone stopped mid sentence, and started again half way through, repeating themselves or similar. You can see it as a genuine mistake. It does grate on me to a certain degree though when even basic words are wrong, and there is no use of punctation. Unlike a pub with a bunch of mates, writing requires a full stop at the end of a sentence. It is the equivalent to when your mate takes a deep breath and then continues. A question mark denotes your mate raising his voice in pitch to ask you something. All we have here is the letters in front of us. We don't have sound where we notice a different pitch or pause at the end of a sentence or body language or smiling, so it is a basic courtesy to those who read your post to clean it up a little. Not everyone knows all the big words. I get stuck on some of them too at times, but everyone should know the basics. Disabilities aside, it does reflect on intelligence to a degree. Even though you may be a genius in your chosen field, writing is one of the most common and basic forms of communication to the outside world, and if you can't be bothered to learn to communicate clearly with the rest of the world, then it shows laziness, and that lack of intelligence. Having said that, although i will cringe at some of the people who post with hideous spelling, i wouldn't want to see them removed. More than anything i want to give them a gentle nudge and remind them that their writing is a reflection on how the world views them, and that a bit more effort might see them held in a better regard, which i would hope is something they actually deserve. After all, they may be a heck of a lot smarter and it would be evident in a conversation, but since this forum is all about the written text, it would be a shame for them to be considered otherwise, when it can be avoided with a bit of basic training.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:00 AM   #100
FgNewbie
Australia

Landau, does the basics include using paragraphs and would lack of them also reflect on intelligence ?
Old 01-12-2010, 02:04 AM   #101
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Perhaps not a lack of intelligence, but the lack of a working 'enter' key?
Old 01-12-2010, 02:10 AM   #102
FgNewbie
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_au
Perhaps not a lack of intelligence, but the lack of a working 'enter' key?
Oh no! Can we contend with keyboard disabilities

I was only referring to something in the middle of the post somewhere

And for those that don't like all the smiley crap
Old 01-12-2010, 02:31 AM   #103
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Well after a read through the whole thread, I do believe that in the infamous words of Mr Hardware I shall say:

"Please excuse me while I go and grow a heart"

I did not intend to insult/offend/exclude minority groups, and I feel people have taken this as the whole point of my post, my apologies if I've offended anyone as it was not my intention.

At the time it never even occurred to me, I was just a little fed up with the poor sentence structure of people who (to my knowledge at the time) could have made the effort to make it half legible.

Mad Maxine (with her wise words of wisdom) showed the flip side of the coin and also why such a system wouldn't work, as others have pointed out, some people are just better working on cars than on a keyboard.

For those telling me to 'get over it', I'm over it now, you can put down the pitch forks

I don't hate everyone, not really, just politicians.

Quote:
And for those that don't like all the smiley crap
I <3 Smilies too
Old 01-12-2010, 02:49 AM   #104
Landau Stable
Landau Tragic

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his many posts on welding and fabricating for coupes 

Quote:
Landau, does the basics include using paragraphs and would lack of them also reflect on intelligence ?
Take a closer look at where i begin a sentence with the word disabilities. Although it had a paragraph when i was writing it here in the narrow screen where we type, due to the way it has widened the borders on my answer, it would appear as though i wrote the whole lot in one block and did not press ENTER
If that's all you have to discredit me when i try to put an intelligent view forward, please try harder next time.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:28 AM   #105
FgNewbie
Australia

Landau by no means was I trying to discredit you as there was valid comment made in part.

After 142 posts, it would be fair to believe that you know the basics of creating a post on this forum. Keeping that in mind, I would respectfully suggest re-reading your own post before referring to other's intelligence.

While agreeing that people make mistakes and/or don't know better, I would suggest that it doesn't necessarily have to relate to their level of intelligence as suggested by yourself which is what I took exception to.

You are correct, it does appear that you wrote it all in one block.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:24 AM   #106
FgNewbie
Australia

G'pa just saw it, thanks
Old 01-12-2010, 06:37 AM   #107
Springfield_Johny

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR David

3- Explain the difference between weather and whether

thanks!!!!
You forgot wether

Daily drive 2010 Mitsubishi triton single cab turbo diesel

1968 XT Falcon (project yet to be started)
Old 01-12-2010, 07:36 AM   #108
protd
TUFF FORDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection
A self-righteous candidate.

No not at all, a example of someone who can't spell worth a damn and yet still manages to get through life quite well.

If you think that thats being self righteous thats fine by me, i call it sticking up for my right to be on a forum because of my poor spelling

Last edited by protd; 01-12-2010 at 07:42 AM.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:37 AM   #109
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
lol, the point I was trying to make that some people are good at spelling and grammar and some are not. Doesn't mean all that much about their intelligence. Funny enough I just remembered of a mate from high school, really good at spelling but thick as a brick.

Theeerrss da old wyves tayl dat peepl roolly bad wif speeling compemsayt wif derr prowess in bed!!!!

Quote: