Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-12-2014, 07:11 PM   #11911
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: FG X, The Last EVER Falcon - Picture & Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
Lol, I took more than 70mm out of my fairlane, and it's driven every single day.

No practicality issues at all. See no reason for a fg to be any different.
Lowering a Fairlane by 70mm is probably equivalent to lowering an FG XR by 40mm.

Don't get me wrong it looks great, but unless you never carry any passenger, have a flat driveway and don't have to go over many speed pumps or ever use undercover parking than yes it probably is practical.

This user likes this post:
Old 19-12-2014, 08:26 PM   #11912
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtRmn8 View Post
Lowering a Fairlane by 70mm is probably equivalent to lowering an FG XR by 40mm.

Don't get me wrong it looks great, but unless you never carry any passenger, have a flat driveway and don't have to go over many speed pumps or ever use undercover parking than yes it probably is practical.

When the fg gets lowered I will find out I guess
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2014, 11:49 AM   #11913
Sioso
irregular member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
covered numerous times, they test with 2 people and a tank of fuel, no adjustments in tyre pressures, etc.
I just noticed in the Wheels article they actually did the Heathcote drag strip testing with 46 psi in the rear tyres!

46 psi + traction control on, run a 5.2 & 13.3 and then record that in the back of the magazine as the cars official times
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2014, 12:09 PM   #11914
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGX310 View Post
I just noticed in the Wheels article they actually did the Heathcote drag strip testing with 46 psi in the rear tyres!

46 psi + traction control on, run a 5.2 & 13.3 and then record that in the back of the magazine as the cars official times
When you look carefully at the times, initially the Holden SS is in front to 20, even till 60, and then to 80 the XR8 gets its nose in front, and then after 100 the XR8 starts pulling away faster and faster.

These figures at 0-80 clearly show the XR8 was nobbled by the traction control and 46psi.

They do note when using the XR8 unfettered by their crappy driving and lack of due diligence on tyre pressures that when up to speed- "at high speed the XR8's supercharged thrust is intoxicating"- code for it goes like stink....and should go like stink from the get go.....

Call themselves a professional motoring magazine and unable to run tests with proper psi and ability to coax out the power and traction on a performance acceleration test when the consensus appears to be the launch control is slower than human controlled takeoff....

And then have the gall to put their unprofessional testing work in as official figures, ...knobs

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2014, 12:25 PM   #11915
FGX-302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah in an auto at that.. Imagine them trying to quarter mile a manual.

The problem is the general public believe what these magazines report as gospel. There would be thousands of potential FG buyers over the years that never sat in an FG cause wheels/motor rubbished the seating position year after year.

46psi n complaining about traction issues sez it all...
FGX-302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2014, 12:56 PM   #11916
CQB-241
Car tragic

Bottom line is whatever is said, cars revered in the future willbe those with competition credentials or those which feel special to drive and own.

Funnily enough recognized by Wheels Bauer stablemate, Top Gear Magazine this month.....

"The XR8 as [sic] a great Australian muscle car and a perfect tribute to the legend of the Ford Falcon."

"We opened the XR8 bonnet before setting off, and it was like lifting the lid of a treasure chest in comparison to the SS. You can see thr block, the heads and a dirty great supercharger on top with a polished metal cover. This is the sort of engine you'd be continually popping the bonnet to show off."

"I crank the key, the supercharged V8 fires up and I select Drive. As soon as I press the accelerator, I know the contest (with SSV redline) is over."

"It might be dated in some respects, but the XR8 is a modern day muscle car classic, which is likely to be spoken of in hushed tones by future generations. It also has the honour of whooping the SS(V Redline) Commodore and that is a rare feat among Falcons."

No figures though, but they note the >100 kw difference on overboost so it will be interesting to see a properly conducted test. Not sure if thinking Wheels' and Motor's performance "problems" reflect the tester's ability/competance or Ford (at this stage understandably) not spending dosh advertising Falcon while Holden is pushing Commodore to the end is worse.

Yes, I have had an XR8 on order since October so I want it to be good. This is my last opportunity to support Australian's making an Australian (by design and manufacture) product line that has given me so much pleasure over the years and she will be used. Having briefly seen a FGX XR8 in the flesh 2 weeks ago and stirred that car from her slumber I know I won't be disappointed as long as mine is screwed together and finished nicely (Silhouette manual; if anyone at Broadmeadows is interested I have a SIDO ).
CQB-241 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2014, 03:09 PM   #11917
FGX-302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Any engine builders or anyone in the know, I want to know what the Miami can safely rev too?

I saw on JB's GT-F top speed run that they raised the rev limiter.. Is this a safe mod longevity wise?

When I tune mine eventually I wouldn't mind more revs as many as I can get, I wouldn't worry about it if the engine won't like it though...

Would love a 7000rpm screamer and being a DOHC small capacity V8 am thinking it would handle a few revs.. Yes/no??

Cheers in advance
Old 20-12-2014, 03:23 PM   #11918
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGX S/C V8 View Post
Any engine builders or anyone in the know, I want to know what the Miami can safely rev too?

I saw on JB's GT-F top speed run that they raised the rev limiter.. Is this a safe mod longevity wise?

When I tune mine eventually I wouldn't mind more revs as many as I can get, I wouldn't worry about it if the engine won't like it though...

Would love a 7000rpm screamer and being a DOHC small capacity V8 am thinking it would handle a few revs.. Yes/no??

Cheers in advance
I would have thought that if it could handle more revs without hurting the life of the engine Ford would have done it.

Logic says that the more it revs, the more distance pistons travel, and the quicker it will wear out.
Old 20-12-2014, 03:34 PM   #11919
FGX-302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
I would have thought that if it could handle more revs without hurting the life of the engine Ford would have done it.

Logic says that the more it revs, the more distance pistons travel, and the quicker it will wear out.
Yes true but given it makes 400+fwkws easily without an intercooler by only revving to 6000rpm Ford probly saw no need to rev it further..

I on the other hand am not chasing extra power by revving further just love the sound of a screaming V8.. I'm only thinking like 6500,6600 maybe. If it's well capable of those RPM's I'd certainly be keen..

It wouldn't be revved there all the time but enough to keep the webs out!
Old 20-12-2014, 06:08 PM   #11920
stevefreestyle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Redline on the stock 5.0 Coyote (N/A) on which the Miami is based, is 7,000 RPM, with max HP (435) @ 6,500 RPM.

BTW, the new N/A 5.2 ltr "Voodoo" FPC for the Mustang GT350 has a 8,200 RPM Redline !!!
stevefreestyle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2014, 07:25 PM   #11921
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Has the radiator support changed between FG and FGX? Have an FG that I wouldn't mind doing some cosmetic surgery to.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2014, 07:48 PM   #11922
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab View Post
Needs to be put back stock. Looks pox.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2014, 08:02 PM   #11923
FGX-302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevefreestyle View Post
Redline on the stock 5.0 Coyote (N/A) on which the Miami is based, is 7,000 RPM, with max HP (435) @ 6,500 RPM.

BTW, the new N/A 5.2 ltr "Voodoo" FPC for the Mustang GT350 has a 8,200 RPM Redline !!!
8200! Oh yeah!

IMO the V8 sound comes into it's own past 6500..

Would love to hear a small cube screamin Ferrari V8 bouncing off the limiter!
Old 20-12-2014, 08:34 PM   #11924
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGX S/C V8

Cheers in advance
If it was a Coyote i'd say pull the string and let it rip to 7500 rpm. I remember Jesse Kershaw from Ford Racing say they ran it at those revs all day long during testing and it's safe for that, even though the factory limiter is 7000. It also made around 460 hp on Horsepower TV's engine dyno, well up on the claimed 420.

The issue with the Miami is that it has some different internals to handle the extra pressure from boost, and although those parts are stronger they have never been tested at higher rpm. It could probably handle it but I think more than likely FPV dropped the rev limiter to take some unneeded stress off the motor, and with it hitting their power requirements before 6000 rpm there was no point taking it higher.

The Boss 302 conrods it has handle 7500 rpm standard in a Boss 302. Crank is a ripper forged unit that will handle it no worries either. Not sure about pistons etc, they are unique to Miami. I'd say the cams would be up to those revs too, as they are the same as Boss 302, although the exhaust cam isn't variable which may limit its ability to make peak power higher.

So i'd say it could probably handle it, but without testing it's hard to know. And even if it does, there's not much point as power has already peaked well before then and it's just making noise. But that's also the noise you want
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2014, 08:35 PM   #11925
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
8200! Oh yeah!

IMO the V8 sound comes into it's own past 6500..

Would love to hear a small cube screamin Ferrari V8 bouncing off the limiter!
Will that N/A 5.2 Litre engine direct bolt into our falcons, along with supercharger? or is there a whole lot more to it?
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2014, 08:37 PM   #11926
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought the oil pump was the main issue with the Coyote regarding revs.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2014, 08:37 PM   #11927
Bossxr8
Peter Car

And also another little snippit of info from AMC mag. The writer was told that about an inch has been shaved from the seat foam to get them down lower, and to create some extra room between seat and steering wheel for FGX.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2014, 09:08 PM   #11928
dragons90

Quote:

Cheers in advance
You have to have to stay under 7000 rpm if its a zf auto.
Old 20-12-2014, 09:29 PM   #11929
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
If it was a Coyote i'd say pull the string and let it rip to 7500 rpm. So i'd say it could probably handle it, but without testing it's hard to know.

And even if it does, there's not much point as power has already peaked well before then and it's just making noise. But that's also the noise you want

You know- had a ****** evening with the usual family rubbish with sister in law/brother in law tensions with the "edgy" other half, and this brought a smile on my 1 year work fried face for the first time in god knows how long.

Nothing like going round a corner with the engine screaming blue murder on the upped rev limiter........

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2014, 10:13 PM   #11930
FGX-302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cheers boss... Id be confident in a 6600 cut every now and than.. Just for special occasions when u feel like giving your miami a good rev in 2nd!

Looking at JB's 300 vid I never realised how much taller the gearing is in the V8 compared to the I6T.. Like 30-40kph taller in 4th and 5th.
Old 21-12-2014, 04:43 PM   #11931
herbicide

Had a look at a white xr6t sedan today at the dealership lot, really looks the goods in person, also seen a g6e out and about, but I don't rate it, all that chrome is offensive.
herbicide is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2014, 05:10 PM   #11932
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

Just saw a white and a smoke g6e sedan driving around in the full sunlight, man what a sight. When you get used to the look of the cars on the road and this pops up it really stands out. When you drive past one the front and the back tie in nicely. You got to see one in action to fully appreciate. Nice one Ford.
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2014, 05:43 PM   #11933
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Will that N/A 5.2 Litre engine direct bolt into our falcons, along with supercharger? or is there a whole lot more to it?
It's a whole new design, flat-plane crank with over 500hp from the factory so no need for a blower.

But just imagine Ford saying goodbye with an updated 2016 XR8 with this motor in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzKff5Gze7s

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2014, 06:00 PM   #11934
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent8 View Post
It's a whole new design, flat-plane crank with over 500hp from the factory so no need for a blower.

But just imagine Ford saying goodbye with an updated 2016 XR8 with this motor in it

Curious, it doesn't sound like a flat plane crank at all !
Old 21-12-2014, 06:17 PM   #11935
FGX-302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
My thoughts too.. That and that mustang looks terrible in white looks like a massive smiley face.
Old 21-12-2014, 06:56 PM   #11936
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
"Make no mistake, this is an American interpretation of a flat-plane crankshaft V8, and the 5.2-liter produces a distinctive, throaty howl from its four exhaust tips," said Jamal Hameedi, chief engineer of Ford Global Performance Vehicles, in a statement.

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2014, 09:02 AM   #11937
stevefreestyle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent8 View Post

Its a whole new design, however the FPC is still a V8 in configuration, not to be confused with a Horizontally opposed engine as many have.

The difference is internal - with the Big End Journals set at 180 degrees (ie Flat), rather than 90 Degrees of the typical (Cross Plane) V8.

This (FPC) is the same configuration as used by Ford Cosworth (Famous DFV V8 Engine), Ferrari & Lotus.

http://articles.sae.org/13709/
Quote:

So you think the Corvette Stingray and Jaguar F-Type play the wildest V8 soundtracks through their active-exhaust systems? Or you say nothing beats a Ferrari 458 for pure aural delight? Well, you haven’t heard Ford’s 2015 Shelby GT350 Mustang on rising throttle. From tip-in to WOT the new Shelby, powered by a unique naturally aspirated 5.2-L DOHC V8 that was coded “Voodoo” during development, plays a downright diabolical tune from its four exhaust outlets.

“When we would start up the first prototypes in the engineering garage, everybody’s heads turned: ‘What the heck is that?’” recalled Raj Nair, Ford’s Group Vice President of Global Product Development, in an interview with Automotive Engineering prior to the 2014 L.A. Auto Show. “When we’d transit the cars between facilities in Dearborn you’d hear their echo out on Oakwood Boulevard. Anybody at our proving ground who heard these cars knew there was something very different under the hood.”

There will be customers who will buy the latest Shelby Mustang for its 20% stiffer body structure (compared with the Mustang GT), its racetrack-focused chassis tuning, enormous Brembo brakes, responsive MagneRide damping, Recaro seats, and many other vehicle attributes. Others, however, will want the car for its howling exhaust note alone. The sound is created by the engine’s special flat-plane crankshaft and its related breathing and ignition characteristics.

So named because its four connecting-rod journals are spaced 180° apart, the shaft appears “flat” in a single plane when viewed head-on. The arrangement generally does away with the large counterweights used in the typical 90° "cross plane" layout which helps reduce crankshaft mass and enables the engine to rev more freely. The new Ford spins to a heady 8000 rpm before fuel cut-off, according to Nair, and has another 250 rpm of safe headroom. This from mildly oversquare 94 x 92.7-mm bore and stroke dimensions.

Long the province of European high-performance V8s from Ferrari, Lotus, Cosworth (the legendary DFV Formula 1 unit) and others, flat-plane cranks were also used in the first Cadillac V8 in 1914 . The configuration gives an alternating right-left-right-left firing order across the cylinder banks, allowing more efficient gas flow and exhaust-gas scavenging along with improved throttle response and exotic exhaust acoustics.

Compression ratio of the port-injected, Coyote-based 5.2-L is 12:1 and max cylinder pressure is 97 bar (1406 psi), an engineer said. Final SAE power and torque ratings are not yet finalized, but the V8 will deliver at least 500 hp (373 kW) and more than 400 lb·ft (542 N·m), according to Jamal Hameedi, Chief Engineer, Ford Global Performance Vehicles.

Hear the V8 sing in this video courtesy of Ford (turn up your volume setting first):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxKhiCh9r0k

Flat-plane-crank engines have limitations. First, the lack of counterweight balancing typically limits cylinder displacement to about 4.5-4.6-L due to greater second-order vibration. Ford has solved that in the 5.2-L application with a new crankshaft-mounted damper system and extraordinary attention to NVH abatement during the design and prototype phases. According to Nair, the engine program (which was concurrent with GT350 vehicle development) nearly wasn’t approved for production.
Old 22-12-2014, 10:48 AM   #11938
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That's the comment I made on multiple youtube videos and was told I'm an idiot by countless people...

Perhaps Ford/SVT have used a 4-2-1 Header and instead of pairing the inner two cylinders and outer two cylinders per bank, they have paired the front two and the rear two. That would give a lumpy note not associated with the flat plane crank V8.
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2014, 12:14 PM   #11939
stevefreestyle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmelon View Post
That's the comment I made on multiple youtube videos and was told I'm an idiot by countless people...

Perhaps Ford/SVT have used a 4-2-1 Header and instead of pairing the inner two cylinders and outer two cylinders per bank, they have paired the front two and the rear two. That would give a lumpy note not associated with the flat plane crank V8.
It does sound very ballsy to be a Flat Plane Crank, but FPC it is.

Now, if this could find its way into the final incarnation of the XR8 ! (not knocking the Miami 335)

Here is a better idea of the aural delights GT350 attacking the Nurburgring:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2084XOt-Sj4#t=99

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO9LYepgRq0

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgRjVdJYgrk#t=140

Last edited by stevefreestyle; 22-12-2014 at 12:26 PM.
Old 22-12-2014, 01:40 PM   #11940
Bonn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nice mod for Boss-engined BA, BF, FG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB0MBZ4EYqI

Jaguar XJ-S: Eaton S/C, I/Cooler, Haltech, DB7 rims, 1:15 Wakefield.

Jaguar XJ6 Wife's daily :2006 Quartz Metallic, FORD Duratec 3.0 V6, ZF 6sp

Previous relationships: FG GT, FG XR8 (+BA XT 5.4, BA AU, EF, EB, EA, EA & XF work cars)
Jags XJ12 & XJ6, BMW E39 Wagon, BMW F11 M-Sport wagon, 20 of GMH FC-HQ
Bonn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post