The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 27-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #1
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Major Ford announcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC View Post
Back in the 60's I think they even assembled Falcons near North Fremantle. Somewhere near where the Matilda Bay Brewery is. The building is heritage listed and is still there.

http://inherit.stateheritage.wa.gov....a-8a690bada21c

It in fact the same factory...!
Old 27-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #2
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
I knew it was something to do with Matilda Bay Brewery. Didn't know it was the only car manufacturer ever in WA. How things have changed. :(
4th car 90 XF ute (work car)
5th car 06 SY TS AWD Territory Orbital LPi
6th car 95 XG ute
7th car 2014 SZ Territory TX Petrol
Fords all my life.
Old 27-05-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC View Post
I knew it was something to do with Matilda Bay Brewery. Didn't know it was the only car manufacturer ever in WA. How things have changed. :(
Yep, you can pick it from the architecture of the place. I went in there once in the 1980's with my old man but it was being used for storage then.

By the way, Holden had an assembly plant in Mosman Park.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Old 27-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #4
Aussie Falcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
Funny how all Ford factories look the same.
Old 27-05-2013, 09:44 AM   #5
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Guys, it is over. The fat lady is singing!!

I was walking over to my very nice FG XR6T (bought new) from a distance last night thinking what an awesome machine! Long live the Aussie built Falcon..
Old 27-05-2013, 10:29 AM   #6
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619 View Post
Guys, it is over. The fat lady is singing!!

I was walking over to my very nice FG XR6T (bought new) from a distance last night thinking what an awesome machine! Long live the Aussie built Falcon..
That's the kind of attitude I thought people despised
I thought we were a nation that stood up for and fought for what we believe in.
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Old 27-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #7
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotski View Post
But what is it worth? The reality is Falcon sales are woeful at best. Unless people buy it what is there to fight for?
It is Ford that didn't want to invest in the Falcon so why should people buy a product that the company doesn't even care for?
Old 27-05-2013, 10:57 AM   #8
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
But what is it worth? The reality is Falcon sales are woeful at best. Unless people buy it what is there to fight for?
It is Ford that didn't want to invest in the Falcon so why should people buy a product that the company doesn't even care for?
It's worth 1200 jobs and our nations automotive heritage. Unless something can be done, what good is Australia to the rest of the world apart from being a consumer nation?
This user likes this post:
Old 27-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #9
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kable72 View Post
It's worth 1200 jobs and our nations automotive heritage. Unless something can be done, what good is Australia to the rest of the world apart from being a consumer nation?
So how low can Falcon sales go before it is time to let it go?
Ford doesn't see a future in Falcon (and Territory to a point) so Ford are to keep the plant open, run it at a loss just to keep a few token employees there?

Ford is a business, simply put they're there to make money if they don't then the whole thing collapses (not long ago they were in a bad situation).
I would rather AU close up shop than lose Ford globally.

Why haven't people fought hard for other organisations that have closed their doors over the years?

If we're to compete with overseas then we can't just assume we keep going the way we are. Companies, governements and employees need to get together to work towards keeping investment alive in this country.
You can't keep striking to demand outrageous pay increases when the money isn't there, you can't keep taxing companies and overloading them with red tape if you want them to remain here and employ Australians and if you want people to buy your product you have to actually make something they want.

A little bit of hard work could have gone a long way but Ford decided it wasn't worth it.
Old 27-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #10
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
It doesn't work like that though. Ford have invested shedloads in the Falcon, trying to re-capture the market with the Ecoboost and ECoLPI, they have a fantastic petrol engine, brilliant turbo 6 but sales have continued to fall through the floor.

The crux of the matter is large cars are not in fashion anymore and it doesn't matter what Ford Aus do, the Falcon nameplate is synonymous with large cars.

No use building a funky new Rubics Cube if the fad is over.
Old 27-05-2013, 11:07 AM   #11
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
We are a nation that lives by SUPPLY and DEMAND.......
No demand - no need to supply. That is what is called economic belief......its the western religion...has been for quite some time.
Old 27-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #12
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I did stand up. I went out & bought a new one!!!
Old 27-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #13
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Yes, once upon a time we were a nation who stood up and fought for what we believed in, but these days our society has become nothing but a bunch of limp wristed, politically correct, self righteous, stuck up latte sipping hipsters who describe their flawed views as 'progress' and the sad thing is, that instead of detesting this crowd, the rest of society panders to them. A person cannot even have an opinion about something anymore without being shot down.
As I have previously stated, I would love to have a time machine so I could go back and live in the 1980's and 90's, as they were far better times than the depressing hole we live in these days.
Old 27-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #14
Lotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz View Post
Yes, once upon a time we were a nation who stood up and fought for what we believed in, but these days our society has become nothing but a bunch of limp wristed, politically correct, self righteous, stuck up latte sipping hipsters who describe their flawed views as 'progress' and the sad thing is, that instead of detesting this crowd, the rest of society panders to them. A person cannot even have an opinion about something anymore without being shot down.
As I have previously stated, I would love to have a time machine so I could go back and live in the 1980's and 90's, as they were far better times than the depressing hole we live in these days.
this made my day. Once I've mmade the time machine I'll let you know, I'm thinking the same thing myself.
In the meantime I'm trying to mold the next gen into the anti hipster. ;)

Old 27-05-2013, 12:46 PM   #15
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz View Post
It has a lot to do with national pride and prejudice.......
When you are as multicultural as we are here in OZ - that gets diluted......
The falc ( and commodore ) are national icons respected by the legacy AU buyers. The new "aussies" dont have the same connection with these bread and butter brands.........hence the buying patterns have changed.
I dont think too much has to do with the falc being too big or too thirsty.........its just the fact that in Australia now - we have a lot more Global citizens whose tastes are global and they will purchase a product that stretches their dollar. When you have this type of playing field and these sorts of dynamics in place in such a small market.......I cant see how it would have ended any other way.

Who is to blame ?.........maybe we all are to take a very small part of the blame each. And that's the problem......we all think that in our own little closed worlds that we arent doing much harm by buying just 1 imported car......or another new LCD telly for the kids room.........or just another imported product from eBay because we can save some coin.etc etc..... ( hell....I've done it )
Collectively however - that's where the damage is done. So like it or loathe it......we are a small nation with a big appetite for cheap consumer products with access to supply chains and products all over the world that werent previously available. Global Consumer choice / coupled with a lack of govt protection for local product has created the mother of all self perpetuating messes. In my neighborhood - we cant even get together to rally our council to get the grass cut in the parks more frequently.....our kids get their shins slashed by weeds playing footy........so what chance do we have of rallying behind our locally manufactured products.
We have a new breed of mentality that has reared........apathy with self preservation..........basically - we just don't give enough of a stuff anymore and its all about the short term......and that applies to our national leaders as well.

So in the words of a very wise old little green alien..........
Doomed the falcon was.....a consumers power to buy flows with the power of the cheaper imported product.........
6 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2013, 10:17 AM   #16
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

No the fat lady hasn't sung. She is due to sing, but hasn't done so yet. If people want to fight for the Falcon or at least fight for our working men and women in broadmeadows then let them do it.
Old 27-05-2013, 11:03 AM   #17
Lotte

More than 1200 jobs when you consider the external jobs affected.
If falcon were advertised then maybe sales would be up.
Personally I think it has less to do with not wanting to invest in falcon, and more to do with wanting out of the country, so they can sell their own vehicles here.

Whats the point? The point is standing up for what you believe in. It's what I teach my girl guides, and God forbid I reproduce it'll be what I teach my kids.

Old 27-05-2013, 11:15 AM   #18
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Quote:
God forbid I reproduce it'll be what I teach my kids.
I'm so sorry but I had to laugh really hard there

But you're right it's worth alot more than those at broadmeadows counting the ripple effect that will inevitably happen. None of us want the Falcon to be gone and to save our Falcon, the government needs to be a lot fairer on our export to import tariff. Why is it that we charge very little for products coming into the country when those same countries we export to charge us a fortune. It's like it's all too hard when it reality it shouldn't be. They're making it difficult for our future to become a nation that we can be proud of our product. How can we be proud of something that doesn't exist? This is the beginning of local production ceasing to exist. A lot of our product is already australian only as almost none of our stuff being exported. For example, does anyone know if we export Bundy Rum?
Old 27-05-2013, 11:30 AM   #19
Lotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kable72 View Post
I'm so sorry but I had to laugh really hard there

But you're right it's worth alot more than those at broadmeadows counting the ripple effect that will inevitably happen. None of us want the Falcon to be gone and to save our Falcon, the government needs to be a lot fairer on our export to import tariff. Why is it that we charge very little for products coming into the country when those same countries we export to charge us a fortune. It's like it's all too hard when it reality it shouldn't be. They're making it difficult for our future to become a nation that we can be proud of our product. How can we be proud of something that doesn't exist? This is the beginning of local production ceasing to exist. A lot of our product is already australian only as almost none of our stuff being exported. For example, does anyone know if we export Bundy Rum?
If you knew me and my other half, you'd probably still laugh. Between my smarts and interest in making things go boom; and his accident proneness, it can only result in disaster

I do know we export vb. No idea why.
But you're right, it's a multitude of reasons, the Swiss cheese effect.

Old 27-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #20
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Quote:
If you knew me and my other half, you'd probably still laugh. Between my smarts and interest in making things go boom; and his accident proneness, it can only result in disaster

I do know we export vb. No idea why.
But you're right, it's a multitude of reasons, the Swiss cheese effect.
I'm sure you'd make beautiful fingerless and burn victim children

They really export that stuff? Of all of our locally made alcohol they export that?
Old 27-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #21
Lotte

No advertising, no demand.
basic marketing 101.

Old 27-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #22
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

I have felt sorry for the poor buggers in the Ford AU marketing department for a long time now, the amount of flak they have copped here and elsewhere is amazing......why is it so hard to understand that they have been doing exactly what they were told to do by their boss ?....

Quote:
No advertising, no demand.
basic marketing 101.
There is no doubt in my mind they will be thanked for doing such a good job....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
5 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #23
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't believe it will go the 3 years , whenever the Falcon gets to point it no longer needs to be made, as stocks will be more that adequate for current demand , they will start introducing the overseas variants that we are due to get.
We have been told so we can get used to the fact. Sorry, the horse has bolted and we need to move on. Ford will try to lose as little money as possible in this changeover so expect to see more imports sooner than later. If it wasn't for peoples jobs and welfare it would be a fait accompli already.
The Falcon is dead , long live the Falcon. It was a beautiful ride while it lasted. Now let's look forward to the next chapter of Ford in Australia, after all we can't let the evil side win.
GT450
Old 27-05-2013, 01:44 PM   #24
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT450 View Post
I don't believe it will go the 3 years , whenever the Falcon gets to point it no longer needs to be made, as stocks will be more that adequate for current demand , they will start introducing the overseas variants that we are due to get.
We have been told so we can get used to the fact. Sorry, the horse has bolted and we need to move on. Ford will try to lose as little money as possible in this changeover so expect to see more imports sooner than later. If it wasn't for peoples jobs and welfare it would be a fait accompli already.
The Falcon is dead , long live the Falcon. It was a beautiful ride while it lasted. Now let's look forward to the next chapter of Ford in Australia, after all we can't let the evil side win.
GT450
tend to agree
they may drop/stop Australian production but its not over until they sell the plants as they may have some future use's
and what ever happens sorry ill stay ford

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
Old 27-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #25
Blue Roo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If Ford sells off the Proving Ground. We might be able to go in and dig up all
those experimental cars including Xa GTHO Phase 4 Bodies, that are buried out there.
Old 27-05-2013, 05:48 PM   #26
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Roo View Post
If Ford sells off the Proving Ground. We might be able to go in and dig up all
those experimental cars including Xa GTHO Phase 4 Bodies, that are buried out there.
Ford wont be selling off the proving ground as they need to be able to test/evaluate the incoming models that we will be getting.

They also need test all the new models that they design and need evaluation etc.

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 27-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #27
Aussie Falcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I waited till now to post here as I wanted some of the emotion to die down after hearing the news as I’m still saddened and numb that the falcon will be no more in 2016.

I’m sure everything that I could say has already been mentioned in the last 33 pages so will try to keep it brief. My father has driven Falcons since the 60’s and I have only ever owned falcons since the late 80’s. I have been a member here since the beginning along with the original fordforum.com, blue oval news forums and falcon usenet newsgroups. I still remember fondly the first FF raid to the two ford factories and the proving grounds.

I still visit this site regularly. However I haven’t posted much here for a couple of years as I haven’t been in the market for a car and my current Falcon hasn’t had any issues. Hopefully I will be in a position financially to buy the updated 2014 Falcon.
I guess the next question what is the future of fordforums.com.au, will it die slowly as well?

Not sure if this article link has been posted already but it makes interesting reading:
http://m.smh.com.au/national/retraci...524-2k6q8.html

This link also outlines what the Thailand free trade agreement covered:
http://www.dfat.gov.au/fta/tafta/key-outcomes.html
Can they still do treason trials for whoever signed this?

Anyway I have let out a long sigh after typing this out. I guess at the end of the day it’s only a car and we shouldn’t get emotionally attached to them. Only a few weeks ago my dad said he wanted to downsize to a corolla. What is the world coming to :(
Old 27-05-2013, 03:03 PM   #28
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Coming from a dealers point of view I am a little concerned on how many customers are asking what will happen once Ford Australia closes it's doors in 2016...meaning the whole of Ford is leaving the country!!

People are actually thinking there will be no more Ford in Australia. I really hope Ford make it clear we are here after 2016, don't ask me how but they need to do something.
Old 27-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #29
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t View Post
Coming from a dealers point of view I am a little concerned on how many customers are asking what will happen once Ford Australia closes it's doors in 2016...meaning the whole of Ford is leaving the country!!

People are actually thinking there will be no more Ford in Australia. I really hope Ford make it clear we are here after 2016, don't ask me how but they need to do something.
I had an Email from the marketing department outlining what was happening. I have been buying a new Ford on average every 4 years since 1994. I think all who buy new Ford cars would have got this Email. I have copied it here. Funny thing is it says "since you contacted us" it was in fact the other way around. I have had two calls recently from the marketing people asking what my plans were for a new car.

Steve

Hi Steven

Today, you may hear some news about Ford Motor Company. Since you have contacted us in the past about our vehicles, we wanted to inform you directly that there will be no changes to the way our customers buy and service our cars.
Our customers will continue to buy and service their Fords at local dealers across the country, as they always have.

Whilst we are changing our structure, our commitment to Australia remains strong. We will continue to design and develop great vehicles. We will continue to strive for outstanding sales and service. And, we will continue our long history of serving Australian customers with the very best vehicles to deliver cutting edge technology at an affordable price.

For more information on today’s announcement, please visit www.ford.com.au/about/newsroom.

If you have any questions, please contact our Customer Relationship Centre at customers@fordcrc.com.au or via phone at 133 673. Alternatively, please speak to your local Ford Dealer.

Regards
Old 27-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #30
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

So I was out kayaking Saturday after noon and found myself pondering what it is about this story that upsets me the most.

Is it the death of the iconic Falcon, and its Territory sibling, or is the loss of local manufacturing, the jobs of 1200 workers and countless support positions in the supply chain?

So I thought about it from their point of view, Falcon isn't selling, and yes it's true, some of that is their doing, but lets not forget the Falcon nameplate has been around for a while, I certainly don't need constant reminding to know that Falcon is available in showrooms, and many of these showrooms neighbour Hyundai, Mazda and numerous other brands.

The fact is, no one wants it, so why build it.
Sure, not everyone buys new cars, and that is an individual decision, but those who do frequent the dealerships of Australia aren't spending much time browsing through the Falcon brochures. Sad but true!

Then I started thinking about the workers. Many of them have been there straight from high school and know nothing else, why should they be the innocent victims of a corporate decision in an office thousands of kilometres from the noisy shop floors in Australia.
Why should their literacy skill levels be brought into question, these people have been crafting one of the best vehicles available in this country, these are good people, they deserve better, they deserve job security.
These faces are familiar, Holden's is only 10 minutes from my door and I have many mates who work in and around the fragile existence that has become the Australian Auto manufacturing industry, how would it impact my neighbourhood if that decision was made here.

Ford plan to continue on in Australia, selling foreign built cars at top dollar, in exchange for Australians wages, the same wages they refuse to assist with post 2016.
I say, we as Australians need to stand up and say 'NO', vote with your cheque books, don't give the American giant another cent unless they support our manufacturing brothers and sisters..

Now obviously it would be a waste of time to continue building the Falcon/Terri here alone as it would cost them too much, but what about if their hand was forced to keep local manufacturing open by building something which can move in volumes.

If the new Ford buyers of Australia stand up and say 'NO', I wont buy an imported Ford no matter how good it is. I wonder how much money that would cost them.

Now, I am not a politician, nor do I have access to the media or even make up face book pages.
But those people exist.

Someone need to start a movement and pressure those in power to get behind it and let these American Auto giants know that Australia wont stand for it.
They may have been building cars in Australia for 90 years, but Australians have been buying them for 90 years too, they've made a few quid out of the deal.

The time is now people, a precedence needs to be set before the General starts to feel comfortable with the scenario and jumps too.
We are always being told to stand up against domestic violence, racism, cyber bullying etc. etc, well, why don't we stand up to Corporate bullying.

Or, perhaps all that salty St Kilda air had gone to my head...

Last edited by BENT_8; 27-05-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Closed Thread