Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 04-07-2007, 04:33 PM   #61
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

nope not holden, yep most likely 4cyl still
Old 04-07-2007, 07:23 PM   #62
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Has anyone seen XR4 commercials or advertisements? I've only seen one and that was on the bus stop along Warrigal Rd. The XR5 advertisements were no different, the only one I saw was at Chadstone!

I mean Ford does advertise the XR4's and 5's right?

*Was it that South African XR5 commercial that had the Focus "transforming" into the XR5? They should bring that down here!
Old 04-07-2007, 07:24 PM   #63
Nado
Starter Motor

Man just got home from the dealer, got mine for $26,300. I was aimming for $26,000, but am pretty happy, got carpet mats, headlamp guards and tank of fuel so fairly satisfied.. stilll wish I could get him $300 lower.
Nado is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2007, 07:37 PM   #64
photn
AFF Post NAZI

hey mate... SWEET AS>.. ware did you get the car from.. thats an awesum price..
how much haggling did you do?

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2007, 07:56 PM   #65
Nado
Starter Motor

Binks Ford in Footscray. It's around the same price as people could get under the Ford Partner Program, so I'm fairly happy. Unfortunately I work for a company that's part of it, but I'm not "employed" by them. heh.
Nado is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2007, 08:09 PM   #66
da_ilks

I've had mine for 3 weeks now, I love it. For a little car with a small motor, it's very torquey. Handling is great, and the seats are fantastic. I seriously reckon it's more fun to drive then my Liberty B4.

I only have 3 minor complaints:

- No cruise control
- No foot rest
- Can't get side stripes like in the UK

I already knew about all of them before I bought it through, so it doesn't really bother me that much (well, cruise would be nice)

The XR4 is well worth the money imo.

Last edited by da_ilks; 04-07-2007 at 08:15 PM.
da_ilks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2007, 12:17 PM   #67
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordel

Nice hoping to see some XR4's around here soon.
Saw one at the Golden Grove Village yesterday - white with blue stripes and pink(!?) personalised plates.

Saw you again last week Fordel, same intersection as last time.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:17 PM   #68
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISTA FIESTA
Oi oi oi. can wee keep this back on topic please... (sorry couldnt resist)

A little birdy has told me 2 XR4s have been sold in NSW for 25500 - 26000. Now this is great.... but also smells like BS
I was offered one for $26,000 driveaway up here in Brisbane, maybe $25,500 "if I squeezed his arm", those where his words (the dealers), not mine.
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2007, 08:33 PM   #69
Steffo
LPG > You

Was just reading and felt compelled to do a Focus ST170 vs Fiesta XR4 on-paper comparison thing (a bit bored)...

110kW 190Nm and 1090kg vs 127kW 196Nm and 1283kg

The XR4 has 100.92kW/tonne and 174.31Nm/tonne to the ST170's 98.99kW/tonne and 152.77Nm/tonne. So as far as power/weight goes... its a clear win to the XR4.

Looking at the gearing of each car... I get the feeling that the ST170 would be jumpier off the mark and then get hauled in.

It would actually be a very, very close race... and I'd probably bet my money on the Fiesta. In gear punch would no question go the Fiesta's way, more torque/weight, more torque at lower revs and so on. Quite close and comparable cars.

Now if the Fiesta had the power of the Focus.... mmmm.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2007, 10:42 PM   #70
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murcod
Saw one at the Golden Grove Village yesterday - white with blue stripes and pink(!?) personalised plates.

Saw you again last week Fordel, same intersection as last time.
hehe yeah, either on way to or from work lol
Old 11-07-2007, 09:26 PM   #71
Miyagi
fordxr5turbo.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
The XR4 has 100.92kW/tonne and 174.31Nm/tonne to the ST170's 98.99kW/tonne and 152.77Nm/tonne.
I think kW/tonne and Nm/tonne aswell as some consideration for available power throughout the rev range is the best way to measure modern cars.
Old 13-07-2007, 10:50 AM   #72
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I haven't seen any XR4's on the road yet up here in Brisbane.

But then thinking about it I owned my WQ Zetec for a whole year and I only ever saw 2 others on the road in that time so I'm not holding my breath to see an XR4.
Old 15-07-2007, 10:26 PM   #73
irsa76
Snoopping

Hmm, I wonder what fleet prices are like for the XR4. No stripes for me though, I would go oldschool RS graphics up the side if anything.
How bad is access to the back seat for a couple of very young kids?
irsa76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2007, 01:09 AM   #74
Lplus

How young? its easy enough for adults, so any kid that can make it under their own steam shouldn't have a problem.
Lplus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2007, 09:35 AM   #75
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by irsa76
Hmm, I wonder what fleet prices are like for the XR4. No stripes for me though, I would go oldschool RS graphics up the side if anything.
How bad is access to the back seat for a couple of very young kids?
just pop the boot and chuck em in there rofl.. easy enough to get in and out of.. plus... weight over back wheels lol.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2007, 09:27 PM   #76
irsa76
Snoopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lplus
How young? its easy enough for adults, so any kid that can make it under their own steam shouldn't have a problem.
2 year old in booster seat and 6 month old in a forward facing car seat. More worried about the 6 month old.
irsa76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2007, 10:13 PM   #77
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well just don't get carried away pulling desirable Gs when cornering
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2007, 02:58 PM   #78
wylergnu
Starter Motor

Hi all. My first post. Ive been lurking for a while but was too lazy to register.

I have a 18 month old Fiesta Ghia which I lease from work. Its getting replaced so Im up for a new car. I love the Fiesta except for one thing - tyre/road noise. Driving around the city is fine but once I hit the highway its annoying, especially on the coarse bitumen highways outside of the cities. I have to have the stereo so loud that Im almost deaf when I get out the car.

Im thinking of getting an XR4, but I was wondering if this has changed in any way? If anyone whos been lucky enough to get an XR4 could give me an honest opinion on this it would be much appreciated. If theyre still noisy I will probably go for a Focus Zetec instead, but obviously this will be nowhere near as fun to drive.
wylergnu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2007, 04:58 PM   #79
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tyre/road noise "problem" is ultimately subjective. I can drive your Ghia and tell u it's fine.

You can go to www.fordfiestaxr4.com/forums and ask some of the XR4 owners about the tyre/road noise.
Old 18-07-2007, 05:48 PM   #80
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wylergnu
I have a 18 month old Fiesta Ghia which I lease from work. Its getting replaced so Im up for a new car. I love the Fiesta except for one thing - tyre/road noise. Driving around the city is fine but once I hit the highway its annoying, especially on the coarse bitumen highways outside of the cities. I have to have the stereo so loud that Im almost deaf when I get out the car.
I believe tyres can play a fairly large part in regards to road noise , although I am not an expert in such things by any means.........perhaps PM "Scarybear" regarding this one, he's in the tyre business, he may be able to offer more "accurate" advice.
Old 20-07-2007, 10:27 PM   #81
Lplus

Quote:
Originally Posted by irsa76
2 year old in booster seat and 6 month old in a forward facing car seat. More worried about the 6 month old.
Well, the front seat back folds forwards quite well giving plenty of room to get in and out - it's a very long time since I had kids that young to worry about though. Based on my memories of dealing with getting young kids into cars, I think you should be ok, though it might be a bit of a struggle. There's plenty of room in the back seats for sure.

@wylergnu - yes the tyres rumble, but so do the tyres on the focus estate I drive for work.
Lplus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2007, 12:13 AM   #82
annie99
Starter Motor

I am most likely getting a Fiesta xr4 in a few months, I absolutely love them.Saw one at the shops a few weeks ago as part of a competition prize and fell in love with it. Only thing is I can not drive manual! Guess I can always learn.I am not too sure about the stripes yet though.
annie99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2007, 07:47 PM   #83
da_ilks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wylergnu
Im thinking of getting an XR4, but I was wondering if this has changed in any way? If anyone whos been lucky enough to get an XR4 could give me an honest opinion on this it would be much appreciated. If theyre still noisy I will probably go for a Focus Zetec instead, but obviously this will be nowhere near as fun to drive.
Between tyre noise and engine noise, at highway speeds it's a little noisy inside the XR4. Still, I don't have my music on that loud and I manage fine!

Anyone got any ideas on springs? I wouldn't mind dropping mine an 1in, 1 1/2in or so.....
da_ilks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2007, 11:11 PM   #84
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Springs?... try Eibach Pro-Kit springs... they lower the car 30-35mm. I got mine from www.european-parts.net (AU$430 incl. shipping & fitting)
In fact, the springs are one sale and aussie bux are strong at the moment. You should get it... it's a great deal.
Old 26-07-2007, 12:38 AM   #85
Gazzzaa

Great article on the XR4 in August Motor mag.

quote..."Team RS has calibrated the XR4's standard stability control for maximum fun. The DSC's threshold is surprisingly high, and I only saw its yellow warning light flash once when really provoking it - simply to see if it was actually working!" unquote.

Last edited by Gazzzaa; 26-07-2007 at 12:39 AM. Reason: spelling
Gazzzaa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2007, 12:42 AM   #86
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yup, pretty much all reviews about XR4 has been positive. The negatives are "no footrest" & "tyre/road noise".... so they say. Did u see what MOTOR magazine put down for the negative? "please sir, more power?"
Old 26-07-2007, 12:48 AM   #87
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Lol. I was stoked with the suspension and certainly wouldn't want any lower or firmer. OK maybe lower, but NO firmer, it's just on the firm side of confortable as it is but nearly perfect. No point upsetting the balance of the car.

The only car I've driven in 4 years that has made my Focus feel old and past it...
Old 26-07-2007, 12:51 AM   #88
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives
Yup, pretty much all reviews about XR4 has been positive. The negatives are "no footrest" & "tyre/road noise".... so they say. Did u see what MOTOR magazine put down for the negative? "please sir, more power?"
That's its only real negative. With an extra 20kW and 10-20Nm torque... the XR4 would make cars like the Clio 182 and 206 GTi180 look like heaps of crap... good thing the 2.0 Duratec-ST is so easy to make that back and some more with. :
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2007, 10:18 AM   #89
Gazzzaa

Quote:
"please sir, more power?"
It was also interesting to read that the engine was tilted back 6 degrees so it would fit better. The engine bay looked SO full, you's be pushing to fit an extra lacker band there
Old 26-07-2007, 10:37 AM   #90
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives
You forgot the "no carpet on back of rear seat". Honestly these are very petty negatives to put against the XR4. The positives outweigh the negatives ten fold. I cant believe these respected car testers (what ever you call em) are having a cry of it. Even the "oh it needs more power" is the same thing they said about the 1.6L. Make your bloody minds.