Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-11-2011, 09:35 PM   #61
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Slowing down for roadworks...

Good point JC...I'm more concerned about someone doing 10 or 20kph over the limit in a school zone or through roadworks than I am about someone doing 10 or 20 over the limit out on the highway somewhere...

Fit fixed speed cameras at roadworks and school zones and the revenue will skyrocket...and this time it will truly only be the idiots you will catch and leave the res of us alone...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2011, 11:00 PM   #62
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
The interesting point is that some people are complaining about how you will come across, for example, an 80kph sign, then a 60 sign, then finally a 40 sign and "prepare to stop" for a flagman, and how far out they start.

So...can I assume you would prefer to just fly along at 100k's until you see a sign saying "40kph prepare to stop", and 500 meters on is a guy with a stop sign? Your god-like braking ability, reflexes, and situational awareness might enable you to immediately see the sign, react, get on the brakes hard and pull up in time, however, look around you at the average driving skills and state of some of the vehicles on the road.

Now imagine yourself standing there holding that stop sign. Wouldn't you want people to be warned well ahead of time just to account for those who might have missed the first sign?

The best reason I heard for the signs being "left out" over the weekend and at night is that road conditions are changed, and work hasn't finished yet. Once again, if they left the road as gravel or dirt or with posts set here and there, and put it back to 100kph each night, the person having the inevitable accident would be quite nicely able to sue the council/transport department for "not securing a work area when they left it for the night"...
Mate, I don't know about you but 500 meters takes 20 seconds to travel at 100km/h. So yes it would be better if the signs were only 500 meters out. If you can't react, and then brake from 100km/h in 20 seconds you are either asleep or dead.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2011, 11:39 PM   #63
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
Mate, I don't know about you but 500 meters takes 20 seconds to travel at 100km/h. So yes it would be better if the signs were only 500 meters out. If you can't react, and then brake from 100km/h in 20 seconds you are either asleep or dead.
Allow me to just put this out there.
You will not be the only motorist or vehicle being stopped. Some of these stops can accumulate a fair line of traffic. Sometime over two, three hundred meters. That doesn't leave much room for other vehicles to slow down. Throw a few B-double tankers full of fuel plus corners, hills etc and you got yourself a sweet recipe for a monumental c ock up waiting to occur.
If the speed limits before roadworks are staged down way before the lolliepop guy or lights, it give less room for error...........plus the DH factor.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2011, 11:44 PM   #64
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Good point JC...I'm more concerned about someone doing 10 or 20kph over the limit in a school zone or through roadworks than I am about someone doing 10 or 20 over the limit out on the highway somewhere...
I'm yet to see police enforce the roadwork limit while there are roadworks happening, only ever after hours when they're not.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2011, 11:46 PM   #65
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
I'm yet to see police enforce the roadwork limit while there are roadworks happening, only ever after hours when they're not.
Well come up here to sunny QLD and drive up and down the freeway from Cooly to Cooroy, you will get to see it quite often.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2011, 11:47 PM   #66
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
Keep an eye out.
I have witnessed it a number of times out this way.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post