Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 18-07-2009, 12:25 PM   #61
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fte50
Harsh - Good point. You ever tried revving a Holden V6?
Believe as you like, but when your local management are simply not management material, what hope is there for quality. Secondly, they have tried too run so many variants (export etc) on the 1 ***. line, they have continually mixed components etc, not forgetting that for many of the proccess workers (no disrespect to them) they dont know the difference from an intake valve to a ball valve. There simply isnt any ownership.
As for the machines tolerances, lets just say that they WERE/ARE the cheapest machine tooling option available at the time for that particular purpose and tolerances are now somewhat of a dismal memory. Im sure you would also love to know that the machines had error proofing stations to reduce scrap rates and improve quality etc, but guess what - m.e. (manufacturing engineering) removed them.
Finally, if you dont get what i mean about bore/stroke ratio, do some learning and grow a moustache first before you pass judgement and decide somethings baloney. Simple as that.
Interesting you mention this point. Recently Holden announced an export deal for the HFV6 to south america where they build a chevy small suv (can't remember name). I checked out the specs on that car on a US site and it is basically the 190kw HFV6 we have now (or is that 195??). At the same time holden has people spinning the fact that a DI 3.0 and DI 3.6 V6 will be coming down the line very soon, and to my knowledge they still do the 3.2 and 2.8 (with turbo) for SAAB. Open also uses the 2.8 T V6 on the new insignia VXR. How many different types can you get down one line before confusion results. If that chinese deal goes through (plus the south american deal) that means you are building 2.8T, 3.0DI, 3.2 (Di??), 3.6, 3.6DI all one one line. Surely some rationalisation woudl be good....too bad HOlden is GMs beatch and have to build whatever each division wants.

Much was made when Ford decided to build just one atmo I6, and the XR6 lost its bespoke engine. Ford excuse was to quote the I6T as the new six performance king but i was a bit miffed myself tobe honest. BUT at least ford got the benefit of simplifying the production line even more. When territory goes over to the FG engines that will make it even easier. No such luck for HOlden.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 18-07-2009, 01:17 PM   #62
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
I must admit. I was wondering what the bore to stroke ratio had to do with the engine being a dud.
I may be wrong but the Alloytec's design was based on it being 2.8-3.2L, for the European market. Having it displace 3.6 litres meant it was compromised. Not sure how true this is, but I heard it from a Holden/Alfa Romeo fanatic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbaby
I've definitely revved the Alloytec all the way to its near 7000rpm redline... around Sandown raceway using the paddle gears. Seamless, smooth and powerful (for a V6) once on song are the thoughts that spring to mind.
For the 3 week period I had one I found it to be very uninspiring when revved. Harsh, course and gutless, sorry to say. Very bad on fuel too when driving for economy.
Old 18-07-2009, 01:23 PM   #63
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
Interesting you mention this point. Recently Holden announced an export deal for the HFV6 to south america where they build a chevy small suv (can't remember name). I checked out the specs on that car on a US site and it is basically the 190kw HFV6 we have now (or is that 195??). At the same time holden has people spinning the fact that a DI 3.0 and DI 3.6 V6 will be coming down the line very soon, and to my knowledge they still do the 3.2 and 2.8 (with turbo) for SAAB. Open also uses the 2.8 T V6 on the new insignia VXR. How many different types can you get down one line before confusion results. If that chinese deal goes through (plus the south american deal) that means you are building 2.8T, 3.0DI, 3.2 (Di??), 3.6, 3.6DI all one one line. Surely some rationalisation woudl be good....too bad HOlden is GMs beatch and have to build whatever each division wants.

Much was made when Ford decided to build just one atmo I6, and the XR6 lost its bespoke engine. Ford excuse was to quote the I6T as the new six performance king but i was a bit miffed myself tobe honest. BUT at least ford got the benefit of simplifying the production line even more. When territory goes over to the FG engines that will make it even easier. No such luck for HOlden.
Good post mate.
I wasn't aware of the problems of the V6 except its lack of torque and noise. But for production problems it's a bit of a disaster

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 18-07-2009, 05:30 PM   #64
fte50
T3FTE -099. OnTemp Loan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
I may be wrong but the Alloytec's design was based on it being 2.8-3.2L, for the European market. Having it displace 3.6 litres meant it was compromised. Not sure how true this is, but I heard it from a Holden/Alfa Romeo fanatic.

For the 3 week period I had one I found it to be very uninspiring when revved. Harsh, course and gutless, sorry to say. Very bad on fuel too when driving for economy.
Too true. Which is why Alfas initial order forecast continued to downward spiral until it was no more. Hence, why their choosing another supplier - not to mention the quality issues that they have been unimpressed with.

At the end of the day, people like SSBABY have a right to their opinion and he might have loved the V6 experience. I wonder if he has driven an alternative competitors product to compare. The 2.5/3.0 engine of Alfa old put it to shame, and they were 80s. As for Nissan, you would be a fool to consider them in the same league, not forgetting the Nissan aint hauling close to 1800 kg.
But it goes to say, for a product which was all new, future, leading edge technology its fair to say GM failed. For christ sake, they didnt even consider LPG in its development, hence the rush job last year engaging HSV to do its conversions.
Clearly not acceptable for a recently designed / developed product with an expected shelf life of 10 - 15 yrs.
An ex collegue of mine was achieving better fuel economy and driving pleasure in his 280k el fairmont 4.0ltr driving to Pearcedale each day than he was in the ve v6 - enough said, but each 2 their own.
Old 18-07-2009, 06:30 PM   #65
SSbaby
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
I must admit. I was wondering what the bore to stroke ratio had to do with the engine being a dud.
It's the standard statement I'm hearing. If it's GM it's crap!

I never knew Holden built the 3.0L version, though I knew they exported 2.8L and 3.2L capacities.

As far as the tooling equipment, I'm led to believe the machines came from Japan.

I'd take the negative remarks with a grain of salt.

Btw, the GM V6 engine was designed to be built in a range of capacities from 2.8L all the way to 4L! The most common application is the 3.6L as found in NA and Aus.
Old 18-07-2009, 06:37 PM   #66
SSbaby
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fte50
At the end of the day, people like SSBABY have a right to their opinion and he might have loved the V6 experience. I wonder if he has driven an alternative competitors product to compare. The 2.5/3.0 engine of Alfa old put it to shame, and they were 80s. As for Nissan, you would be a fool to consider them in the same league, not forgetting the Nissan aint hauling close to 1800 kg.
What about the 3.2L Alfa engine? That's essentially the same engine as the Alloytec you dismiss. It's also built at the same place you claim build 'faulty' engines.

V6 engines are not inherently smooth. The Toyota V6 is grunty and torquey but not exactly as smooth as a V8. I haven't driven the Nissan 3.5/3.7L V6 but there is no doubt the engines are among the best in their class. As you say, the engine applications don't have 1800kg to haul around (~1450kg). That might partly explain the performance gap and fuel consumption penalty to the Alloytec.
Old 18-07-2009, 06:54 PM   #67
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
It's the standard statement I'm hearing. If it's GM it's crap!

I never knew Holden built the 3.0L version, though I knew they exported 2.8L and 3.2L capacities.

As far as the tooling equipment, I'm led to believe the machines came from Japan.

I'd take the negative remarks with a grain of salt.

Btw, the GM V6 engine was designed to be built in a range of capacities from 2.8L all the way to 4L! The most common application is the 3.6L as found in NA and Aus.
Its not crap because it is GM. Its just crap. GM has/had some great engines. Despite the digs about the pushrods their V8s are very competitive, and although rough the ecotec V6 got the job done well past its use by date frankly. But the alloytec is a lemon. I don't know why everyone tries to sugar coat it!!!! As for the 'designed to be built in a range of capacities', well dont' fall for that old chestnut. Ford used a similar mantra with the duratec yet eveyrone knows there is bumpkis chance of any duratec V6 ever leaving a Ford engine plant bigger than the current 3.7 litre.

Its more about what you design your engine to do, and its tunability/flexibility than any debate about size. I'm no expert, but based on waht i've read about engines, you can't just add .2 of al litre and get the same % increase in power/torque. Engines are designed as a unit, with a set size range. that range is not anywhere near 1 whole litre, its probably + or - 0.2 litres (0.4 range).

The alloytec was originally designed for FWD/AWD applications in the 2.8-3.2 range...this is fact as stated by GM. The 3.6 RWD version was developed off this original architecture. Holden was intially told to take the 3.2...but they refused to put that ina commodore and along with their friends at cadilac they convinced the suits to allocate the funds for the 3.6 size. This is just my understanding based on what i've read.

If you compare that development history to Ford with the duratec 35/37 (cyclone engine) you will find that Ford developed that engine from start for two purposes:

1. large FWD/AWD medium/large cars, 1.6-1.9 tonne. high power 3.5 size. Fusion etc.
2. RWD F series trucks/suvs, high torque 3.7 size. F series, falcon etc.

The first engien makes 195 kw. The Second 205kw. Not much for 0.2 litres more. BUT, the first engine makes 338 nm, the second 366nm. Now see what i mean....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 18-07-2009, 09:34 PM   #68
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
Its not crap because it is GM. Its just crap. GM has/had some great engines.

Engines are designed as a unit, with a set size range. that range is not anywhere near 1 whole litre, its probably + or - 0.2 litres (0.4 range).

The alloytec was originally designed for FWD/AWD applications in the 2.8-3.2 range...this is fact as stated by GM. The 3.6 RWD version was developed off this original architecture. Holden was intially told to take the 3.2...
From most reports the smaller capacity units are reasonably smooth (although not class leading) and revvy. I think a big issue with the 3.6 is exactly as you've said Swordsman. It wasn't meant to exist. So, because of that, I wonder if that means the stroke length / piston throw is not really compatible with the block's deck height. Essentially, pushing the design too far.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
Old 18-07-2009, 09:49 PM   #69
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
From most reports the smaller capacity units are reasonably smooth (although not class leading) and revvy. I think a big issue with the 3.6 is exactly as you've said Swordsman. It wasn't meant to exist. So, because of that, I wonder if that means the stroke length / piston throw is not really compatible with the block's deck height. Essentially, pushing the design too far.
That's exactly what fte50 has confirmed above. The 3.6 is very compromised.
Old 18-07-2009, 11:33 PM   #70
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrox90
Thats BS how can shutting down half the engines capacity not do sumthing.

The only commodores i see now in adelaide are all SS packs

While i understand its a FORD Forum, its getting pretty ricdiculous and rather Juvenile. Everytime a Holden comes up even if it is the "Dogs bollocks" AKA Top . its sledged regardless of how good it is.
First of all, it only works at constant speeds on the highway, and it might stop sending fuel to 4 cylinders but those 4 pistons are still working creating friction, hence the claimed economy difference is 1 litre per 100 km, which is bugger all in the grand scheme of things, and it can't be used in manual versions because the torque convertor is used to absorb vibrations of the engine only running on 4 cylinders, and since manuals don't have a torque convertor they are rough as guts, so GM doesn't do it in manual versions.

To get in running on auto versions Holden had to reduce power and torque, essentially de tuning the engine, which alone would have gone some way to reducing the economy by itself, so the AFM doesn't even contribute the whole 1 litre. Around town and in the suburbs AFM does nothing.

It is a near useless idea that does bugger all unless you spend all your time on the highway where it might save you a tiny amount.

Its more valuable as a marketing tool, but that goes for most of the crap Holden do. If they spent half as much time engineering their cars properly instead of telling the world how great they are their cars might actually be worth driving.

I would praise it as a good idea if it actually made a significant fuel reduction, but it doesn't.
Old 18-07-2009, 11:53 PM   #71
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
First of all, it only works at constant speeds on the highway, and it might stop sending fuel to 4 cylinders but those 4 pistons are still working creating friction, hence the claimed economy difference is 1 litre per 100 km, which is bugger all in the grand scheme of things, and it can't be used in manual versions because the torque convertor is used to absorb vibrations of the engine only running on 4 cylinders, and since manuals don't have a torque convertor they are rough as guts, so GM doesn't do it in manual versions.

To get in running on auto versions Holden had to reduce power and torque, essentially de tuning the engine, which alone would have gone some way to reducing the economy by itself, so the AFM doesn't even contribute the whole 1 litre. Around town and in the suburbs AFM does nothing.

It is a near useless idea that does bugger all unless you spend all your time on the highway where it might save you a tiny amount.

Its more valuable as a marketing tool, but that goes for most of the crap Holden do. If they spent half as much time engineering their cars properly instead of telling the world how great they are their cars might actually be worth driving.

I would praise it as a good idea if it actually made a significant fuel reduction, but it doesn't.
I think is because of the lack of VCT. The pushrod setup of the engine, while it has advantages, is not really suited to this sort of fiddling that AFM causes. If you are going to 'shut down' half your cylinders you are going to have to get the engine to run well (even at cruising speed with an auto) on just 4. Otherwise it would be so inefficient it wouldn't be worth it. I reckon the cam profile they put in it for the AFM engines is very compromised RE full power and torque when operating as a V8 compared to the non AFM (manual) cars. Just my theory. Apparenlty at full throttle on a dyno the AFM engine is a pig compared to the non-AFM version...worse even then the on paper figures from holden suggest.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 18-07-2009, 11:58 PM   #72
fte50
T3FTE -099. OnTemp Loan

Quote:
What about the 3.2L Alfa engine? That's essentially the same engine as the Alloytec you dismiss. It's also built at the same place you claim build 'faulty' engines.

V6 engines are not inherently smooth. The Toyota V6 is grunty and torquey but not exactly as smooth as a V8. I haven't driven the Nissan 3.5/3.7L V6 but there is no doubt the engines are among the best in their class. As you say, the engine applications don't have 1800kg to haul around (~1450kg). That might partly explain the performance gap and fuel consumption penalty to the Alloytec.
You are correct in saying the 3.2 Alfa is essentially the alloytec engine, bar the Alfa only unique heads, manifold and direct injection etc. But it to was not up to the standard which is why they are no longer going to be Alfas preffered supplier.
I think you have confused my intention when i remarked of Alfas past V6 engines, namely the 2.5/3.0ltr. These were an 80s developed original Alfa product which EASILY had many feats on our local alloytec V6, and should have been used as 'a benchmark'. This engine actually was classed in the top 10 automotive engineering achievements over the last century.
Comparing the alloytec to the old Buick derived V6, there is not much of aleap forward in overall efficiency, and that is the saddest part.
Old 19-07-2009, 12:14 AM   #73
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
You should probably check some bore/stroke ratios on other V6s before you decide to harshly criticise GM's V6 engine design. Toyota and Nissan 3.5 V6s have a similar bore/stroke ratio... and similar power/torque too!

I've definitely revved the Alloytec all the way to its near 7000rpm redline... around Sandown raceway using the paddle gears. Seamless, smooth and powerful (for a V6) once on song are the thoughts that spring to mind.

It's not worth my time and effort discussing this topic further as you're clearly very familiar with the problems on the production line. What I will say is that it's not exactly easy to keep a lid on engine problems such as those you describe, particularly for a common car like the VE with the V6. And I haven't heard of any major dramas with that engine, neither here or abroad.

Seemless smooth and powerful? Get ur hand off it.. The V6 commodore is the biggest bucket of ive ever had the displeasure of driving.. even in the High Output model they are garbish! Give me a V6 Aurion or Mitsubishi 380 any day..
Old 19-07-2009, 02:08 PM   #74
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
Seemless smooth and powerful? Get ur hand off it.. The V6 commodore is the biggest bucket of ive ever had the displeasure of driving.. even in the High Output model they are garbish! Give me a V6 Aurion or Mitsubishi 380 any day..
Agreed. I think even the Holden guys aren't a fan of it, and getting extra power out of it requires lots of dollars. No, I can see why the V8's are a big seller with Holden, because their V6's are terrible.

Quote: