Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 20-02-2006, 10:49 AM   #61
HTCURRY

I think the driver would have been shown a lot more sympathy, if he hadnt run away, as most have said, it was probably more to do with shock and panic, rather than a disregard for human life; but in the court of public opinion dead teenagers in a hit n run incident, the driver will always be made out to be a villain, rightly or wrongly.
HTCURRY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 11:09 AM   #62
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampy
Drinking and drunk! How bad will some of those kids feel when it sinks in that they may of caused this accident and the death of there freinds?
How did the kids cause the accident?

It's the driver who's in control of the vehicle and is responsible at the end of the day. The fact of where the kids were is irrelevant at the end of the day, we're not talking about a lone pedestrian who fails to look right before stepping out between parked cars.

Provided the kids didnt charge at the car initially.

Anyway, time will tell.

Last edited by Dave_au; 20-02-2006 at 11:21 AM.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 11:16 AM   #63
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this is all very sad, my girlfriend is a high school teacher in mildura, i spose i will find out about some of it. I think i'll wait for more facts before i jump to conclusions
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 11:25 AM   #64
Simmo
White Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampy
Another way it may of happened

*pic*
thats exactly how i thought it should have looked when i first saw that image. i'll bet the kids threw empty bottles or something to make him swerve like that and his back end has kicked round from hitting the dirt. that first group will never say so if thats the truth though.
Simmo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 11:26 AM   #65
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au

It's the driver who's in control of the vehicle and is responsible at the end of the day. The fact of where the kids were is irrelevant at the end of the day, we're not talking about a lone pedestrian who fails to look right before stepping out between parked cars.

Anyway, time will tell.
What stampy means is the first group of kids 'may' have been on the road which in turn meant the driver swerves to avoid them, thus hitting the loose gravel which sends the car into an uncontrollable slide expicially for the average motorist. Very few motorist would have the skills to correct incidents like this when they go into a slide, if indeed thats what happened...
FRDXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 11:37 AM   #66
Stampy

Quote's from the AGE
Witness Justin Poulton, 19, who had been at the first party said the car came around the corner "really fast".

What corner ?Look at the PIC

"They swerved, then over-corrected and ploughed into about 10 or 15 people," Mr Poulton said.

Emmm Why did they swerve (except to avoid something / Someone on the road)

My dad and I ran up and started dragging the injured people off the side of the road."

If they wern't on the road why did they have to be dragged off the side of the road ,The impact would of only pushed them off the road further?

Last edited by Stampy; 20-02-2006 at 11:47 AM.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 11:56 AM   #67
HOON69
Banned

judge as ppl may we'll never know the truth

driver will be shattered and unsure as to what has happened he certainly will either 1) admit fault or 2) say it was a accident

if i was to judge it it'd be

underage drinking teens all over a intersection
underaged kids on road
driver swerves to miss 1st group of kids and looses it on the dirt head backwards sideways into group No2

if i had to judge it its a accident now if the driver was drunk then he's at fault period but ATM ppl shouldn't be hunting down the driver to crucify him..

14yr olds drinking hmmmmm :(
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 12:00 PM   #68
Stampy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOON69
judge as ppl may we'll never know the truth

driver will be shattered and unsure as to what has happened he certainly will either 1) admit fault or 2) say it was a accident

if i was to judge it it'd be

underage drinking teens all over a intersection
underaged kids on road
driver swerves to miss 1st group of kids and looses it on the dirt head backwards sideways into group No2

if i had to judge it its a accident now if the driver was drunk then he's at fault period but ATM ppl shouldn't be hunting down the driver to crucify him..

14yr olds drinking hmmmmm :(

Im in total agreement
Old 20-02-2006, 12:18 PM   #69
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS_300_Coupe
From what I've read so far, I have more pity on the driver than those teenagers.

My experiences have been similar (except not fatal) but occasionally whilst I'm out driving on a saturday night through neighbourhoods (even close to the main roads) there are always huge juvenile parties going on, 100's of teens always roaming the streets swearing, fighting, causing trouble and they always walk all over the f**kin road! No, sorry I dont mean walk I mean drag their legs and almost fall over like zombies.

Anyway on numerous occasions, I've come driving through those areas (doing the correct speed limit by the way) and they've come out of nowhere or they all hang around a blind corner. Stupid f**ks!! And then they have the nerve to swear at me and try and throw beer bottles at my car.

That really gets my blood boiling, ИИИИИИИИИ teenagers!
Almost makes me feel happy that guy ran over those teenagers now.

/////////////you have to be kidding writing that crap on the end of your post, everyone also saying it was dark and blind corner,LOOK at the pics from above,straight road with crossroads and good headlights he must of seen them especially after missing first group and not slowing down,bloody moron.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 12:31 PM   #70
max^power
Formerly au^ute

I will not believe for 1 second that a bunch of drunk teens were waiting quietly off the road for a taxi.

Anyone know how old they were? If they were under 18, would the person hosting the party be in a bit of trouble for allowing under age drinking?
max^power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 12:34 PM   #71
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats interesting that picture.

As you can see the probably swerved without braking for the first lot, and skidded for only 45 metres or so sideways, not 150! and at that rate, he could easily have not been speeding! Im sure speed will be to blame as everyones (government, TAC papers..)concerned, but it probably wasnt....
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 12:38 PM   #72
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can you imagine how frightening it would be to see all these bodies bashing the side of your car! Surely after 12 you would be freaking out! It wont be treated as a hit and run surely.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 12:38 PM   #73
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au

Anyway, time will tell.
So if a bunch of drunk kids walk out in front of a car and you have 2 5th's of ИИИИ all to react your saying it's the driver's fault if they get hit, or if he swerves and missus but collects another lot. Where they were is revelent, a dark road with a slight bend and an 8ok speed limit. And whats not to say only 1 person walked out in front of the car.

If the driver was clearley at fault, being either drunk or high speed it would have made the headlines by now. No huge skid marks so he couldn't have been travelling overly quick.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 12:51 PM   #74
Stampy

Quote:
Originally Posted by max^power
I will not believe for 1 second that a bunch of drunk teens were waiting quietly off the road for a taxi.

Anyone know how old they were? If they were under 18, would the person hosting the party be in a bit of trouble for allowing under age drinking?

Quoted in a paper 14-17 years
Old 20-02-2006, 01:05 PM   #75
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its a really sad situation all round and until the actual truth comes out I for one will not be judging anybody.

have some heart though people.... even if the kids are at fault, think about how the families are feeling, yeah ok, the kids shouldnt have been drinking, but just how many of YOU have gone out when teens and your parents thought you were sensible enough not to drink???????

And think about the driver...... he has to live with what has happened for the rest of his natural life, not an easy task!!!!!
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 01:07 PM   #76
HOON69
Banned

lets take it from the police statements today

"we don't have the answers"
"we still are collecting witness statements"

lets get with facts

roads straight with a slight bend leading onto a 4 way intersection and according to some is a 80 zone,you have 30 kids well away from the house some or most are drunk at the time,and then you have a stock height falcon wagon with 1600kg+ of metal and occupents,you have two groups seperated by a whole intersection,for the driver to lose it like he did and hit on the side he did then he had to of lost it on the left hand shoulder which is dirt(avoiding drunken teens maybe?) stocko wagon when sideways aint fun to drive(i know ;) ) obviously out of control and whack kids on other side of the intersection, i doubt the driver would of been speeding im thinking he thought he was going to hit something or someone tried to avoid it panicked lost it and crashed into the 2nd group of kids,at best its neg driving causing death,but if the teens were blocking the road where was the driver to go hmmm? bush and and avoid the entire accident and possibly kill his kids or himself i highly doubt that,honestly as sad and bad as it is its never clear cut,i dont care what ppl say the first lot of kids drunk n in the dark and none probably aint old enough to drive,can't presume to know whether the car was speeding or put all the facts together it would of been a blur.

let the court do its job,he front court in june from what i heard! he never applied for bail.

if anything its a tragic ACCIDENT and unless proven otherwise thats what it is.

Last edited by HOON69; 20-02-2006 at 01:14 PM.
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 01:16 PM   #77
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You know the only thing that really concerns me was the fact he fled the car (maybe freaking out) but that would mean he left his kids in that car with a drunken mob near by etc.......
Doesnt that seem a bit..... well, bizarre!!!

but yeah I agree let the courts decide.
I would be thinking he probably is under medication right now... so probably not in a position to worry about bail... not sure, just a guess!!
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 01:26 PM   #78
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOON69
at best its neg driving causing death,but if the teens were blocking the road where was the driver to go hmmm?
Last time I checked the theory behind road laws in Australia, the basic premise is that you should travel at the speed relative to your line/distance of sight, in other words, the speed your doing should not exceed the speed that you should be travelling at to stop in time.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 01:34 PM   #79
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

The person or persons who supplied alcohol to minors should face criminal 'supply' charges (much legal potential here), the action in doing so might well be a direct contributing 'initialising' factor in this case, but may only be 'a factor'. This is a matter for the CIU to initially establish.

The crash itself, and its multifactoral dynamics are another matter.

REM, what you see in the aerial shots will not be representative of 'sight distance' at ground level, or other road-related issues.

In relation to 'leaving the scene of a crash', or so called 'hit and run', NSW has a new law enacted this month. It's called "Brendan's law" and basically the effect has been to 'toughen-up' the old penalty potential.

My view is that a charged persons 'reality' should be taken into account. In some places in the world (certain PNG locations as an example), you are told to leave the scene immediately and proceed to the nearest police station, as doing otherwise will likely have you killed on the scene, be you at fault or not.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregul...ndans_law.html

REM - Other potential charges under various Acts also apply, naturally.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 01:41 PM   #80
Simmo
White Lightning

the news.com.au article quoted a the drivers mother saying 'hes a quiet boy and i can't see him handling this well'. might just be one of those timid semi-intelligent people who are really nice but can freak right out at times. possible explanation for him just bailing on the situation other than being chased/harrassed by the remaining kids.
Old 20-02-2006, 01:46 PM   #81
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS_300_Coupe
That really gets my blood boiling, ИИИИИИИИИ teenagers!
Almost makes me feel happy that guy ran over those teenagers now.
You can't really be serious. For standing on the road, the penalty is death. Your kidding arn't you. What sort of logic is that. No-one deserves to lose their lives, especially in this way. Your not going to win any support with statements like that. Try telling the parents, family and friends that. How would you feel, if one of those children was yours. Its not bad enough that your child dies, but the driver does a runner and you get someone saying they got what they deserved. You should be ashamed of that post.

:
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 01:48 PM   #82
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Simmo, I agree with your sentiment, I get people like this who have been through serious crashes and then come to 'preach' to others on certain Newsgroups and forums of the evils of speed, as though we are all like them somehow in character. Anyhow I get this:

Outside the court, Mr Towle's mother Jill Wilson, said the events of Saturday night were a tragedy.

"My support goes out to you and my love for you," she said in a message to the families of the dead.

"He (Mr Towle) is a very nice quiet person. He is a loving boy. He has always been lovely.

"I don't think he would be coping too well."

A first cousin of the accused, Denzil Pryor, said since the incident the Towle family has received threatening phone calls.

"He is a family man, we have been close all our lives, I feel sorry for the kids, what happened, and their families... my heart goes out to them," Mr Pryor said".

Threats, expected - are nonetheless 'primitive and tribal' - Keepleft.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Old 20-02-2006, 01:51 PM   #83
conordec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
You know the only thing that really concerns me was the fact he fled the car (maybe freaking out) but that would mean he left his kids in that car with a drunken mob near by etc.......
Doesnt that seem a bit..... well, bizarre!!!
Once shock began to set in, those at the scene who were not injured began yelling at the driver of the vehicle, the witness said. "They just started blasting him," he said. "Then he ran off, leaving two young kids in the car."

What can you say.... its called shock, we weren't there and hopefully none of us will have to deal with this, it's just all very unfortunate, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.
If he was DUI, I'm sure it would be out in the press by now.
Gotta feel for the driver.
Gotta feel for them all.
conordec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 01:54 PM   #84
gtfpv
GT

i have only read the last five comments in this thread . but it is all terrible . i understand people having comments and opinions . but it may just be a horrible nasty accident . and if people werent standing on the road might not of happened . you cant stand on a road and not expect to get killed " CAN YOU "????????
AND WHY SHOULD PEOPLE RING UP AND START SENDING DEATH THREATS TO FAMILY . i wish i had a machine gun for the people making those calls.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 01:57 PM   #85
KUZMIN
Ruski

I knew most of those teenagers that died personally...they were all good friends that never ment no harm.
I talked to **** and ***** (2 who jumped out of the way of the car) and they said it was easily doing 100.
They said they were walking on the road...HOWEVER on the opposite side so if they saw headlights comming towards them they'd get off...
Look at the pic...the car is where they were walking..
*** told me that the guy hit his breaks, car started screeching, and went towards them (instead of the other way).

my question is...why was the driver doing 100 (or the speed limit, 80...whatever) when there was people 'all over the road'...if your at high speeds you turn your high-beams on, and you see everything on the road (or nearly everything).
The least thing u can do is simply not touch the accelirator!

Yes you do panic in those situations...Id probably kill myself or something like that.

Just a few days ago I was driving doing 75ish on a straight...my mate was behind me..possum ran onto the road and I simply slammed the breaks on...however the possum was running from the RH side of the road, and as I slammed the breaks on I turned the wheel to the left hand side...The car wasnt terribly hard to handle, luckily my friend kept his distance from me and manage not to run into my rear as when I saw it run out on the road I panicted and didnt even look in the rear view...or put the clutch down!

I am devistated that this has happened..Im thankfull that my other mates survived, but hearing that they only wanted to have some fun by going to a party, and ending up dead...is really really sad.

There was a total of 11people..NOT 12, NOT 13..5died on the scene, 1 in hospital..****** is doing fine in the melbourne hospital..NOT in a critical condition...
They also didnt mention another kid who was hit...he has internal heart bleeding..and he is probably going to be paralized from the waist down. However he is in a stable condition.

I cant imagine how the parents of those kids feel..When I was living in Mildura I went out to parties with those kids all the time..nothing as bad as this ever happened...

R.I.P. Stevie, Cass, Josie, Shane, Abbey and Cory

Sorry about the long post

R.I.P. 18-02-06
-----------

1997 Nissan Maxima 3.0 S. Touring-very quick!

Last edited by Laminge; 20-02-2006 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Best to keep direct names out of the public system as much as possible
KUZMIN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 02:01 PM   #86
2Fast2FuriousDude

I don't want to sound mean and I feel sorry for the families and friends. But after driving down roads and happening to slow down and wait for young teenager ****ers to get off the road where they dordle off the road and looking at you as if they have the right way and abuse you for making them get off the road.
I think seriously this had to happen. Not saying this in a bad way, but maybe if teenagers these days were taught how to respect instead of how to rule. This accident might have been avoided. I am sick of hearing about how the driver deserves to go to jail for causing these accidents. Like none of us were there. This could easily happen to you or I. Not only you have to have this on your mind for the rest of your life you have to spend the next 10-15 years in jail thinking about. There may have been a crest or a hill. Blind corner, the speed limit was 80kph. How is going to jail going to stop this from happening again?
As for not stopping, I wouldn't of either. I would have gone around the corner and called the ambulance. You know what drunken or any bunch of teenagers would be like.
They would have bashed the crap out of the poor bugger. Teenagers are always tuff when they have mates around them.

I hope the driver gets off or least get a suspended jail sentence out of it.
I always like how people think that car drivers should be penalised for something as horrific as this. Unless the driver intentionally did this (then he deserves everything that has coming for him), well then he is just as innocent as you or me.
Because putting the poor bastard in jail isn't going to bring those kids back.

I think I agree, let's wait to the coroner's report or the court case before any more judgement is made.

My post here is not just pointed at this terriable accident, it's at all the accidents that have happened over the years.
Cheers,
Jim

Last edited by 2Fast2FuriousDude; 20-02-2006 at 02:15 PM.
2Fast2FuriousDude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 02:08 PM   #87
Simmo
White Lightning

where did you get that quote from conordec. would explain a fair bit if it's legit.
Old 20-02-2006, 02:10 PM   #88
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

KUZMIN - I'd strongly advise you to be very careful about discussing particular matters directly in relation to this case.

Any statement here or on any other forum is to be carried, and accepted by readers on your part purely as ‘allegation’; legal issues come into play that could involve you by way of subpoena.

You made a point and have passed on your love to those lost and families.
Old 20-02-2006, 02:22 PM   #89
conordec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmo
where did you get that quote from conordec. would explain a fair bit if it's legit.
online smh.com.au
conordec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 02:31 PM   #90
Stampy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUZMIN
(2 brothers who jumped out of the way of the car) and they said it was easily doing 100.
Well if a car was heading straight at me Id say it was doing that too , be as speed has not been stated as the killer ,as it usually is IMO he was at or under the legal speed limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUZMIN
They said they were walking on the road...

my question is...why was the driver doing 100 (or the speed limit, 80...whatever) when there was people 'all over the road'...if your at high speeds you turn your high-beams on, and you see everything on the road (or nearly everything).
The least thing u can do is simply not touch the accelirator!
How do you Know he didn't back off ?
And I would keep your namming of names to a minimum