Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

View Poll Results: Should Boss 260/290's be allowed billet oil pump gears
Yes, Most definately ! 17 44.74%
No, It is classified as opened ! 14 36.84%
I dont really care ! 7 18.42%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 30-03-2006, 11:19 PM   #61
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
i dont think its important Cam, if it is, and people agree that it is OK to remove chains to do the pump, then the new record my friend is an 11.90, as im sure when people put the chains back on they wont be putting 4 dial indicators on the valvetrain to make sure it was put back where ford had it.
this is a genuine question .. do ford actually specify the cam timing so it can be put back to factory .. with 3 degrees of course py:
Old 30-03-2006, 11:23 PM   #62
hot460

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
I agree with Alex, it's a concession thats needed as the gears hardly rate in a standard Boss.
At some stage everyone well need to change them.
Opened is Opened!
My car has mods and has done 200,000klms in just over 2years.
180 passes down the track and more hrs on the dyno than I want to remember. Still no oil pump gears,(touch wood) and definatly unopened.

We really dont need to go down the same track as the LS1 brigade and make it all too obscure. :
Keep it simple. Change pump gears= Opened
Bolt ons only= unopened
Old 30-03-2006, 11:24 PM   #63
Chris
AFF.com.au

dude, they just do them up with a rattle gun - closing the lobes up and then knowing what to do with the tune does yield power. Not like a "all lobes on one cam", an LS1, windsor or Clevo cam would need to be reground to achieve the same result, with the boss, its just smart tuning and careful spanner play.

If this goes ahead, we will see a 10 sec 120mph NA Boss. You guys make the rules, i'll see you guys on the blacktop, Jeff, I'll bring the donuts............, Cam tell judy we need zingers all round........................................
Old 30-03-2006, 11:30 PM   #64
Chris
AFF.com.au

anyway dudes, check yers later, im turning the dyno off and going home to bed, its knockoff time.

peace out play nice.
Old 30-03-2006, 11:31 PM   #65
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
dude, they just do them up with a rattle gun - closing the lobes up and then knowing what to do with the tune does yield power. Not like a "all lobes on one cam", an LS1, windsor or Clevo cam would need to be reground to achieve the same result, with the boss, its just smart tuning and careful spanner play.

If this goes ahead, we will see a 10 sec 120mph NA Boss. You guys make the rules, i'll see you guys on the blacktop, Jeff, I'll bring the donuts............, Cam tell judy we need zingers all round........................................
I actually am starting to think that is you replace the gears .. it's opened. You can replace the crank and rods and get no more power but a heap of reliability.....

As for the donuts .. I'm there !!!!
Old 30-03-2006, 11:34 PM   #66
Matt_J
www.hp-f.com.au

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORSMXR
Well mate like l said in the pm G&D are new using the edit so thats were the real power came from, but l am sure they will get the hang of it at some stage.And as of evidence it's at the track.Mate l myself don't have a problem with G&D as l have been down there a few times myself.
You do now. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORSMXR
Now back to topic.
The smartest thing ive heard you say. :togo:

I'll follow your lead on this...

The fact of the matter is this, the engine has an issue that can lead to a pre-mature failure, replacement of the oil pump gears will fix this issue, this will allow more guys the liberty of racing reliably at the track (and isnt this what we all want?), removal and replacement of a timing chain will not increase or alter power, the cam gear sprocket placement will have less to do with track performance than the differance of having one taco or two the night before or if you had a dump just before racing!!

Get real.

The valve spring issue is another example of a problem within a standard engine. This problem is easily rectified by replacment of the rubber valve springs with some metal ones. This is not rocket science, the only gain you get in performance is the re-gain of the performance lost to soft valve springs. The issue with the ford Boss engine is a little more serious, it wont be a small loss of power, it will be a loss of engine. As i said, get real.
Old 31-03-2006, 12:27 AM   #67
SLY XR8
Who's your Daddy now

Premature failer i find that hard to belive.

due to 100000K's and 200 run's down the strip and not one bolt has been cracked.

ls'1 rule's are dumb you open it to change valve springs it's opened

Same should be for the ford open it to change the oil pump gears its opened

BLACK AND WHITE.........

My opinion. And were all allowed to have one.

Thats What I'm Talking About!!!!

Old 31-03-2006, 12:44 AM   #68
Matt_J
www.hp-f.com.au

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLY XR8
Premature failer i find that hard to belive.

due to 100000K's and 200 run's down the strip and not one bolt has been cracked.

ls'1 rule's are dumb you open it to change valve springs it's opened

Same should be for the ford open it to change the oil pump gears its opened

BLACK AND WHITE.........

My opinion. And were all allowed to have one.
Ok, you got your opinion, but please explain to me why you think its dumb? please dont come back with "cause you undid va bolts and its open now" give me an intelligent reason as to why you think that replacing the oil pump gears is not valid.

There have been numerous cases of broken oil pump gears, i bet you there has been alot more broken than you hear of on here as these guys dont want to be questioned.

I have offered my reasons why i think it should be allowed, if it is done honestly it will offer no performance improvement. Maybe thats the point...

Either way it goes, it does not stop anyone from lying about what has or has not been done as we have all seen before, some still claim records based on B.S.

I have laid out the facts as to why the LS1 valve spring rule was implemented so i need say no more.
Old 31-03-2006, 01:08 AM   #69
Xtreme F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Silly arqument really, LS1's that have springs replaced shouldnt be classed as unopened. PPL can argue as much as they like that its been proven they are weak and arent really upto drag racing and need to be replaced but its getting an aftermarket part fitted.. its opened.

As for oil pump gears. Well same thing, i believe its opened. Its to much shades of grey cos ppl change the rules to suit themselves.

Making an unopened class for an engine and then allowing it to be opened cos they cant go faster then a certain time is bending the rules no mater how you look at it. Unopened is unopened. Changing a rockercover gasket is unopened, WHile you have it off and then changing compnents is opened.

hahah

Silhouette FG F6 Xtreme Ford Tuning spec, Power so far 1100+RWHP

FG XR8 Ute 3 speed auto and converter and 9 inch XFT built 5.4 SCJ engine 4.0 litre Whipple 9.40 @ 148 mph Fastest Modular blown Falcon in Aus 4180pounds.

FG GS Miami/Coyote Ute Auto. XFT Xtreme 5.0 Coyote package 10.84 stock blower.

XFT F6E Stage III XFT Engine, stage III XFT ZF along with our new XFT Set up precision, quickest FG ZF with a 9.25@150 MPH
Old 31-03-2006, 01:14 AM   #70
gtfpv
GT

an air filter can increase performance yet be called unopened . same as a throttle body . these gears can be replaced with billits . not necessarily increasing performance yet be called opened ? . but if timimg of cams can be altered without deliberate adjustments then i see both sides . very confusing one this . i would say if the engine is a bog stock with no bolt ons whatsoever and the gears are changed it is unopened. but if there are boltons and then the gears are changed it would be deemed opened. but man i would not put money on it .
Old 31-03-2006, 01:26 AM   #71
Matt_J
www.hp-f.com.au

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme F6
Silly arqument really, LS1's that have springs replaced shouldnt be classed as unopened. PPL can argue as much as they like that its been proven they are weak and arent really upto drag racing and need to be replaced but its getting an aftermarket part fitted.. its opened.

As for oil pump gears. Well same thing, i believe its opened. Its to much shades of grey cos ppl change the rules to suit themselves.

Making an unopened class for an engine and then allowing it to be opened cos they cant go faster then a certain time is bending the rules no mater how you look at it. Unopened is unopened. Changing a rockercover gasket is unopened, WHile you have it off and then changing compnents is opened.

hahah
Again you have your opinion, however id like a further explaination as to why you think removing a suspect part from an engine, replacing it with a reliable part the offers no performance advantage is wrong.
Old 31-03-2006, 02:33 AM   #72
Xtreme F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt @ G&D
Again you have your opinion, however id like a further explaination as to why you think removing a suspect part from an engine, replacing it with a reliable part the offers no performance advantage is wrong.
hrmm...Billet oil pump gears mean you can rev it higher without fear, Thats a performance advantage isnt it? _2:

bit like changing springs on a LS1 is not a performance advantage..... : lol

You had to open the engine and remove a piece and replace it with a stronger piece.. no longer stock..... it was opened... I cant really see whats so hard about that

Silhouette FG F6 Xtreme Ford Tuning spec, Power so far 1100+RWHP

FG XR8 Ute 3 speed auto and converter and 9 inch XFT built 5.4 SCJ engine 4.0 litre Whipple 9.40 @ 148 mph Fastest Modular blown Falcon in Aus 4180pounds.

FG GS Miami/Coyote Ute Auto. XFT Xtreme 5.0 Coyote package 10.84 stock blower.

XFT F6E Stage III XFT Engine, stage III XFT ZF along with our new XFT Set up precision, quickest FG ZF with a 9.25@150 MPH
Old 31-03-2006, 02:40 AM   #73
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Automatic transmission would fall into the same category then, how many good numbers would we see with stock internals in our automatic transmissions?
Auto's don't make power just allow you to use the full potential of your power time and time again.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

The Class we should have is, ''your own class''.
list your times (& slips) and your mods, at the end of the day its up to everyones honesty anyway.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
Old 31-03-2006, 07:06 AM   #74
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Quote:
hrmm...Billet oil pump gears mean you can rev it higher without fear, Thats a performance advantage isnt it? _2:
Unlike the LS1, which has weak valve springs that cause valve float at high revs, the Boss motors do have a problem with oil pump gears breaking, it is NOT a performance issue, it is a RELIABILITY issue !!

I am not going to wait and see what happens, because i know what is going to happen, my bad luck, 1 ИИИИed motor, cop it on the chin because of a set of $600 oil pump gears, i dont think so !!!

Lets go out and have some fun, and to those of you with the standard gears, have fun clenching your a$$ cheeks together waiting for the standard gears to fail. :
Old 31-03-2006, 08:47 AM   #75
dute
SLYME UTE

After reading all the posts in this thread, I still amazed that people cop so much C R A P from others who think they know it all,

And I’m not saying that I know it all (that’s for sure) as I don’t.

If someone has an opinion well that is there opinion why do others just keep sticking the knife in there back?

They must think it’s so much fun to see their name on the forum giving crap to the mere mortals.

Keep to the topic
Old 31-03-2006, 09:05 AM   #76
MYV8
Gota be happy with a Hump
Donating Member1

Quote:

I have to agree with Simon.
If I had billet gears I would feel a lot more comfortable revving the ute out a bit more instead of letting off for fear of doing the pump gears.
In that sense to me it is definately a performance issue.
Also, surely if the part is aftermarket and inside the engine it should be classed as opened.

BluePower Racing Developments ............... Best in the Business
Old 31-03-2006, 09:13 AM   #77
SLY XR8
Who's your Daddy now

Matt its like this i see it as you buy the car you know what its like.

You carn't open it and change some part in it because you dont think it's not strong enough and then clam the thing is unopened.

Come on matt i'm no engine builder but if you change valves carn't you make gains over someone that hasn't.....
Changing parts from a standard product to performane product....

It a opion thats what forums are about..