Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 30-12-2009, 07:54 PM   #61
g220ba
FGX XR8

Well the result was probably the expected one but the way it happened, Pakistan didn't really put up much of fight other than there captain. The dismall that most disappointed me was Kamran Akmal getting stumped. There was no need to play so aggressively so early in the day. The bowlers today really put on a clinic. Gotta say Hauritz really did bowl well with a maiden 5 wicket haul.

On a side note South Africa look like getting absolutely pumped tonight by England. At the moment they're 7/92 trailing by 139 with England to bat again.

Looking forward to Pakistan showing that fight again for the rest of the series but at the same Australia are looking good for 3-0.
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2009, 08:15 PM   #62
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84ltd
Well the result was probably the expected one but the way it happened, Pakistan didn't really put up much of fight other than there captain. The dismall that most disappointed me was Kamran Akmal getting stumped. There was no need to play so aggressively so early in the day. The bowlers today really put on a clinic. Gotta say Hauritz really did bowl well with a maiden 5 wicket haul.

On a side note South Africa look like getting absolutely pumped tonight by England. At the moment they're 7/92 trailing by 139 with England to bat again.

Looking forward to Pakistan showing that fight again for the rest of the series but at the same Australia are looking good for 3-0.

pakistan did throw it away a bit today. totally agree about akmal. he is a good player. no need to play so aggressively. the run rate required was small enough that if they batted out the day the runs would pretty much take care of themselves.

2 wickets in the 1st over was the worst possible result for them but mitch was on target for a change.

hopefully they regroup like WI did and really come out fighting in the next 2. at least it went 5 days.

as for the poms v RSA, i'm glad i'm off work till 4th. plenty of cricket loving poms there and they love to let me know when they are doing well. happening way too often lately!!
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2009, 08:28 PM   #63
g220ba
FGX XR8

The 20-20 Big Bash is great viewing tonight as well, Warner 67 off 24 balls and all up about 110 off 8 overs
Old 30-12-2009, 11:27 PM   #64
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
at least it went 5 days.
Yeah good call, Pakistan arent as bad as they appear, i honestly believe they were 1 or 2 good top order scores away from getting the win.
They just needed someone to hang around with the cpt.
Definately not the walk over Australia appeared to set up in the first 2 days, but thats cricket.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2009, 11:41 PM   #65
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
Yeah good call, Pakistan arent as bad as they appear, i honestly believe they were 1 or 2 good top order scores away from getting the win.
They just needed someone to hang around with the cpt.
Definately not the walk over Australia appeared to set up in the first 2 days, but thats cricket.

i wouldn't go that far. don't forget australia declared in both innings. i don't rate them too highly at all. unfortunately to survive or threaten the top teams, you need to be able to bat right down the order and you can't afford to have too many passengers.

pakistan still have a traditional line up. 3 or 4 good batsmen up top, the keeper and then just a matter of time before its all over. hopefully younis khan is in next game.
Old 31-12-2009, 12:48 AM   #66
Archilino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Australia are a victim of their own sucess in terms of the test ladder, we have to beat pakistan at least 2-0 to retain 3rd place. Their points system must be similar to tennis, ie you defend points earned over time and with the aussies 10yr dominance on the slide so it reflects on the ladder.

Then again if your crap for years then all of a sudden have a good 2-3 series you look like world champs.

ICC Cricket Rankings - Test Teams
Sno ICC Cricket Teams ICC Matches ICC Points ICC Cricket Rating
1 ICC Cricket India Team 32 3957 124
2 ICC Cricket South Africa Team 30 3672 122
3 ICC Cricket Australia Team 35 4054 116
4 ICC Cricket Sri Lanka Team 31 3574 115
5 ICC Cricket England Team 39 4102 105
6 ICC Cricket Pakistan Team 21 1744 83
7 ICC Cricket New Zealand Team 29 2337 81
8 ICC Cricket West Indies Team 29 2224 77
9 ICC Cricket Bangladesh Team 19 255 13
Archilino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2010, 10:56 PM   #67
g220ba
FGX XR8

Has anyone else been watching the KFC big bash. Fantastic hitting, Great Catching and at times very good bowling. 2 catches tonight by Dwayne Smith and Steve Smith will be replayed for years to come. For 20-20's a good way to get people involved in cricket but it can't be at the expense of the longer versions of the game. For me the IPL will be the death cricket as we know it if the players chase money instead of national selection.

Anyway looking forward to the Match tomorrow at the SCG. Hopefully we see a better performance from Pakistan as on the first test fom they will really struggle to take 20 wickets. Unfortunetly it looks like Younis Khan will not be returning. On a plus side for the visitors Danish Kaneria looks certain to play and will definetly help the bowling attack. Hopefully we see Aamer fire up again, he looks like a keeper for Pakistan. We may also see Umar Gul back in the lineup. Umar Akmal should be good to watch with bat as well.

Should be a good test but i still see Australia coming out on top.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:09 PM   #68
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Has anyone else been watching the KFC big bash. Fantastic hitting, Great Catching and at times very good bowling. 2 catches tonight by Dwayne Smith and Steve Smith will be replayed for years to come.
unfortunately its not on free to air.

Quote:
For 20-20's a good way to get people involved in cricket but it can't be at the expense of the longer versions of the game. For me the IPL will be the death cricket as we know it if the players chase money instead of national selection.
australia took the step of boosting the wages of the players on national duty to combat this. there was comment also by one of the commentators (possibly t.greig) that non retired players should be told if they play IPL they won't be able to play for their country. i don't totally disagree with this. i'm sure (i hope) they find some sort of compromise, as it may not spell the end of test cricket but the one day format is surely under threat.

Quote:
Anyway looking forward to the Match tomorrow at the SCG. Hopefully we see a better performance from Pakistan as on the first test fom they will really struggle to take 20 wickets. Unfortunetly it looks like Younis Khan will not be returning. On a plus side for the visitors Danish Kaneria looks certain to play and will definetly help the bowling attack. Hopefully we see Aamer fire up again, he looks like a keeper for Pakistan. We may also see Umar Gul back in the lineup. Umar Akmal should be good to watch with bat as well.

Should be a good test but i still see Australia coming out on top.
shame about younis not pulling up. there was also a rumour they may have called afridi in although afridi may have started that one. kaneria will be a boost although he rates himself pretty high. once stated (after he got his first 50 wickets in quicker time than one SK Warne) that he would be a better spinner than warne. has a way to go yet.

should be a good game. the fact that australia declared twice made the 1st test appear closer than it was but if the aussies want to give themselves a chance to get 20 wickets then they need to bat quicker or declare again, or look at only batting once.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:22 PM   #69
g220ba
FGX XR8

It's really good to see ponting really show some aggression in the last test aswell. He's always been seen as a conservative captain, We may have the turning of corner for his captaincy, albeit at this late stage in it. He does deserve some plaudits for becoming the captain with most victories in history.

Also i'm pretty sure the ICC does have some rules in place in regards to contracted players giving up there spot in the national side for the IPL, I think it invokes a ban. I'm pretty sure Shane Bond of New Zealand wore a ban for playing for his franchise instead ofhis country.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:39 PM   #70
g220ba
FGX XR8

After a lengthy rain delay we see Australia batting first. Great to see Hughes get an opportunity albeit for me 4 tests too late. I don't know how they could've fit him in but it would've been great to see him a get a real good go at top order. We unfortunetly won't be seeing Aamer this test, real blow for Pakistan.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:16 PM   #71
prydey
Rob

hmm hughes is lucky
Old 03-01-2010, 03:24 PM   #72
prydey
Rob

hmm hughes didn't make them pay and now ponting gone on a golden. aussies 2/2. good stuff. make a game of it. aussies bat deep though.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:26 PM   #73
fatbats
Starter Motor

What is happening to the aussies?
fatbats is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2010, 03:29 PM   #74
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbats
What is happening to the aussies?
sitting around all morning watching the rain. one team is ready to play, one isn't
Old 03-01-2010, 03:39 PM   #75
g220ba
FGX XR8

Came out too aggressive. just gotta look at the shots being played. Now things are settling we should see a good contest.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:46 PM   #76
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

in my opinion the only thing vastly different from melbourne is pakistan are holding 75% of their catches. sure the chances came earlier here, but they held 0% for the first two sessions in melbourne
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2010, 05:05 PM   #77
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Bloody hell 6/51....

But yeah, the Pakistanis are 100% better in the field this time around....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2010, 05:10 PM   #78
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
Bloody hell 6/51....

But yeah, the Pakistanis are 100% better in the field this time around....

And North was very lucky with his appeal. Lets hope this poor by us start means the game will go the distance, and Aust will make something of the finish.
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2010, 05:35 PM   #79
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

they need to get rid of the appeal system or the umpires because it seems the umpires are now not needed
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2010, 05:47 PM   #80
g220ba
FGX XR8

i agree to an extent about getting rid of the review system, for once i actually agree with commentators in transfering the choice from the players to third umpire, if he sees its a bit of an bad one he can just say hang i wanna take a another look at one.

I don't about you guys but i'm really sick of Tony Greig and Bill Lawry, for the last 2-3 years they've really got on my nerves with their commentary.

Great bowling by Pakistan mixed with some poor batting (Haddin and Ponting mainly) has resulted in the score line. However Pakistan have to come out and bat on exactly the same pitch, so if Australias bowlers can put the ball in the right spot more often than not we could see pakistan toppled for a low score also. Makes for a very test match.

We'll see what happens when Pakistan bat.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:54 PM   #81
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

What was Ponting thinking going in to bat first on this pitch?
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2010, 05:59 PM   #82
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
it makes you wonder doesn't it
reminds me of the 2nd test in 2005 ashes series when he decided to bowl. hindsight is great, but it seemed a silly decision. hopefully we can still make something of the test
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2010, 06:02 PM   #83
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
My thoughts precisely. Apparently, he made his mind up yesterday, and wouldn't change it. I find that interesting, partly because it rained in Sydney yesterday, and today has been bloody miserable. 110% Humidity for most of the day.

I wouldn't have chosen to bat, that's for sure.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2010, 06:02 PM   #84
g220ba
FGX XR8

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, we could have seen Ponting bowl first and pakistan be 0-100 at tea, then we'd all be saying what was he thinking bowling first. Not likely to have happened but still possible.

A couple of bad shots and a bit of over aggression have cost Australia here. Had a bit more of a circumspect attack been taken things could be different.
Again Pakistan have to use the same pitch so anythings still possible.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:07 PM   #85
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Is it possible he got ahead of himself, he was praised for the 2 declerations in the 1st Test and i feel he thought to go against the grain with this decision too.
Unfortunately it appears to have backfired.

The performance from Pakistan so far has been on par with the second bowling innings in Melbourne where Australia collapsed.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2010, 06:08 PM   #86
prydey
Rob

aussies have never been too flash against a ball that is doing a bit in the air and off the pitch. with the conditions and the greeness of the pitch you could argue that punter should've sent them in but thats the risk you take. bit harsh to look at it in hindsight and critisize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96
And North was very lucky with his appeal.
hitting below the knee roll and hawkeye says going over. sure he was a fair stride down the pitch but this is what gets me about the hawkeye system. its not accurate and yet they are hanging decisions on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain awesome
they need to get rid of the appeal system
the review system is to get rid of the howlers. clarke's review was pretty good as it was a pretty ordinary call from the ump. i thought it was high watching it live. just caught the top edge of the pad. way too high.

this is what its for. it will be mainly used for lbw decisions. i just don't think hawkeye id accurate enough to say a difinite yes or no, esp when its predicting a hit around the extremities of the stumps.

as an experiment, they should compare hawkey and hotspot. just get someone to bowl some balls at the stumps without a batsman there. when the ball hits the stumps, it should show a hotspot. then put hawkeye on it and it should hit in roughly the same spot. would be an interesting experiment i think.

Quote:
I don't about you guys but i'm really sick of Tony Greig and Bill Lawry,
absolutely agree. esp t.greig. i think lawry's nose gets in the way so i'll excuse him a bit.

i like tubbs, slats and warnie... and of course ritchie. his eyesight is still pretty sharp for someone who looks like he has 1 foot in the grave.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:12 PM   #87
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
...this is what gets me about the hawkeye system. its not accurate and yet they are hanging decisions on it.
Yep...I reckon they should just leave it to the field umpire. Part of the game is that decisions are not always correct. It is simply how things are.

Hawkeye and these appeals are just complicating what is a simple game...

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2010, 06:14 PM   #88
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
I don't about you guys but i'm really sick of Tony Greig and Bill Lawry, for the last 2-3 years they've really got on my nerves with their commentary.
I've not listened to them in years. Kerry O'Keefe and Jim Maxwell on the ABC combined with Channel Nine's pictures are perfect. I've even managed to get them pretty well synchronised. The only Bill Lawry and Tong Grieg I get is from the Twelfth Man.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:32 PM   #89
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
I've not listened to them in years. Kerry O'Keefe and Jim Maxwell on the ABC combined with Channel Nine's pictures are perfect. I've even managed to get them pretty well synchronised. The only Bill Lawry and Tong Grieg I get is from the Twelfth Man.

K O'K is gold. i've tried listening to grandstand with ch9 muted but its never in synch.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:35 PM   #90
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
K O'K is gold. i've tried listening to grandstand with ch9 muted but its never in synch.
I have to use Foxtel as the Radio, and Channel Nine through, of all things with my Analogue Tuner. I wouldn't listen to Cricket any other way.