Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 24-05-2013, 09:25 PM   #811
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Major Ford announcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenk View Post
Why are people saying they are sad that Ford are going. The only thing different after 2016 is they won't be making cars in Australia. Ford still will be a major player in the new car market. The new model Falcon would have been due then. The Falcon won't be replaced with like for like, but it could be replaced with downsized model and a name yet to be determined. Holden's CEO has already said the next Commodore will be a downsized front wheel drive car.
Both the Falcon and Commodore as we them will both cease to exist from 2016.

It is bad news for the 1200 workers and numbers of other sector workers as a result of the knock on effect.
Very sensible posting!
You won't notice any difference in your local dealer, the same number of people will work there, just a few new faces on the forecourt.
Old 24-05-2013, 09:31 PM   #812
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Very sensible posting!
You won't notice any difference in your local dealer, the same number of people will work there, just a few new faces on the forecourt.
you are deadset tripping..
5 users like this post:
Old 24-05-2013, 09:38 PM   #813
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Very sensible posting!

I will notice that they will not have a car that I want to buy. I might scunge a test drive of a Mustang for fun, but I would never want to buy one.

To me it will be Ford - it will never be Ford Australia again.

Old 24-05-2013, 09:42 PM   #814
babyf6
Young Ford Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzz226 View Post
Tell 'em - Ford haven't gone just not producing the Falcon anymore - and Holden ain't producing the Commodore as they know it today much longer
Tried telling them that, they won't listen to me, they are the worst type of holden supporter - the one that is ignorant enough to think that the commodore is the equivalent of the wheel on society...

No offence to all other holden supporters of course
Old 24-05-2013, 09:42 PM   #815
AG3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramania View Post
I don't think we'll get the Explorer here, it didn't go well last time around.
The current unibody Explorer which is built on the D4 platform (SUV version of the Volvo-derived D3 platform of the Taurus) is nothing like the old one, its a much more refined vehicle.
The next generation Explorer should be better when it moves to the newer global CD4 platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramania View Post
I've also heard the Expedition will be coming here to take on the Prado/Landcruiser, in the large SUV 4x4 market.
That would make an awkward fit for the Explorer in our market, being almost equivalent to the Expedition & much bigger than the Kuga with nothing in-between.
The current Explorer is nearly the same size as a Landcruiser 200, just lower.
I'm not sure if there will be RHD Expedition, but the Explorer will most likely get a RHD version when it moves to a version of Ford's new global CD4 platform.

Last edited by AG3; 24-05-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 24-05-2013, 09:57 PM   #816
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Really? Because they don't have the slow-selling Falcon on the lot, they're suddenly going to go out of business...? The vast majority of people don't go to their Ford dealer to buy a Falcon...they go to buy something else obviously.
Even the people who buy a Falcon don't necessarily exactly care if it's "Australian made" or not...if the Taurus comes here, that's what they'll buy next. They buy for size and suitability of purpose...I'd lay money on only one or two buyers a year on average actually caring about a cars "heritage" in the country. Very few people (again, obviously by the sales figures) buys one because daddy had one and his daddy had one.

The members of this forum are mostly avid Falcon nuts of course...but you can't assume that everyone who walks into a dealership can only see one badge on the lot, and if that isn't there they'll walk out.
This user likes this post:
Old 24-05-2013, 10:04 PM   #817
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Really? Because they don't have the slow-selling Falcon on the lot, they're suddenly going to go out of business...? The vast majority of people don't go to their Ford dealer to buy a Falcon...they go to buy something else obviously.
Even the people who buy a Falcon don't necessarily exactly care if it's "Australian made" or not...if the Taurus comes here, that's what they'll buy next. They buy for size and suitability of purpose...I'd lay money on only one or two buyers a year on average actually caring about a cars "heritage" in the country. Very few people (again, obviously by the sales figures) buys one because daddy had one and his daddy had one.

The members of this forum are mostly avid Falcon nuts of course...but you can't assume that everyone who walks into a dealership can only see one badge on the lot, and if that isn't there they'll walk out.
one or two buyers a year.. confirms you have nfi..
same as with your opinions of FPV owners.. best you just sit in the corner in silence....
7 users like this post:
Old 24-05-2013, 10:08 PM   #818
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Has anybody else noticed tonight they are showing heaps of Ford ads on TV? All Kuga and Focus, but not Falcon nor Territory. In fact I haven't seen a Falcon ad for ages. Its just as if they have let the Falcon die a natural death, and stuff the locally manufactured Fords.

Perhaps I'm over reacting, but I'm thinking that Ford Detroit headquarters have wanted for some time for local manufacturing to die. Despite the $1.1 billion taxpayer injection over the last 12 years. Sorry Ford, to me you have done the wrong thing.

And letting the cat out of the bag, announcing that manufacture will cease in 3 years time, how on earth can sales of the Territory and Falcon be sustained now for that period of time including a new Falcon introduction. These models have no hope now with buyer lack of confidence.

Its taken me over a day to respond to this thread, I now feel even happier that I purchased one of the best Falcons ever produced, my FG XR50 manual which I love and now intend to keep for a long time, but I'm also angry at Ford Detroit headquarters for what they have done and the way they have done it.
3 users like this post:
Old 24-05-2013, 10:27 PM   #819
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have seen a Terry add tonight, but I haven't seen a falcon add on tv since the BF with 6 Spd ZF.
Old 24-05-2013, 10:31 PM   #820
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
The members of this forum are mostly avid Falcon nuts of course
Which you seem to have an issue with given the crap you are constantly spouting about the Falcon, Australian made cars and the Australian car industry in general. Go away.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Old 24-05-2013, 10:37 PM   #821
Gabbs
Curry in a hurry

I don't really know what to say. It is sad too see the falcon go but let's see what the replacement is going to be.
Manufacturing here doesn't make sense. If you are bleeding you put a band aid on and hope it heals. If a bandaid doesn't work you find something that will before you bleed to death. It needed to be done.
Old 24-05-2013, 10:48 PM   #822
rocketscientist
AHHHH...WHAAATTTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
I have seen a Terry add tonight, but I haven't seen a falcon add on tv since the BF with 6 Spd ZF.
I heard the ad advertising the falcon/ute on the radio tonight, its the first time I have heard one in a very long time.

Surely, Detroit is trolling Australia.

ForeverOnlyResearchDevopement
Old 24-05-2013, 11:07 PM   #823
JG33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbs View Post
It is sad too see the falcon go but let's see what the replacement is going to be.
I'm curious what the replacements will be and what they will cost. If these cars are cheaper to build overseas will we also benefit the lower costs or are we still going to pay higher prices.
Old 24-05-2013, 11:15 PM   #824
stang65
FPRJET

Quote:
The days of being able to "sway the customer" onto something far more expensive are long gone. Customers are, for the most part, a lot better educated and simply don't trust salesmen as blindly as they once did, especially car salesmen. They're not going to deliberately pay more for something just because it has "made in Australia" on it, especially when that something is a bigger car than they need and more expensive to own. People aren't stupid.

No surprise the Kuga is getting a lot of enquiries...the mid-sized/compact SUV seems to be the car of the future...lots of room, handles typically rough roads we have nowadays (basically anywhere outside the capital cities), and lots of features. Most of the major makers have one in thier line up, and they sell very well...the Holden Captiva, Hyundai Santa Fe, Kia Sorrento, etc.
If a potential SUV buyer is targetting somethingg like a Kuga, they're not going to be talked into spending a lot more and paying more to run something like a Territory. For example, a Kuga starts at $31,990 or so drive away (usually less when they have specials on), an Escape for $27,990 drive away, while a Territory starts at $43,900 drive away according to the website. I have seen Territories selling down near $38490 and seven seats for the price of five (current "offer" from Ford at the moment), but that's a big price difference to try and "talk someone over", not to mention the price difference in registration costs which in Queensland at least people do think about at purchase time.

The thing holding back the excellent Ranger is the price...once you get to the level of something decent for the family and put a couple of extras on it like a canopy, you're talking serious money (try up near sixty grand for a twin cab XLT diesel auto)...and people joke about the "Toyota Tax" about Toyota pricing on 4x4's! For a car built in Asia, it sure is expensive to buy here in Australia...unfortunately.
If you like girly cars.....that's all good... no way I would buy a kuga...
Old 24-05-2013, 11:17 PM   #825
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Detroit sent Graziano out here to shut the place, I have been saying this for the past year or 2 and alot of people tried to shoot me down for saying it, but it was quite clear what was happening.

He is the highest ranked Ford executive to ever work for Ford Australia, an important person to do an important job. All advertising pretty much stopped, no promotion of EcoLPi and Ecoboost, dealers supply being held back etc etc. It was quite clear Ford were trying to accelerate the end.

Screw Ford HQ. They only care about themselves, and whatever is in their best interests. They never gave Ford Australia a chance to spread their wings. They always kept them down, and continually denied them export markets.

And then they have the audacity to top yesterdays announcement with rubbish about how positive this is for the company and how bright a future they have beyond Falcon and Territory. What an insult.
Old 24-05-2013, 11:30 PM   #826
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Detroit sent Graziano out here to shut the place, I have been saying this for the past year or 2 and alot of people tried to shoot me down for saying it, but it was quite clear what was happening.

He is the highest ranked Ford executive to ever work for Ford Australia, an important person to do an important job. All advertising pretty much stopped, no promotion of EcoLPi and Ecoboost, dealers supply being held back etc etc. It was quite clear Ford were trying to accelerate the end.

Screw Ford HQ. They only care about themselves, and whatever is in their best interests. They never gave Ford Australia a chance to spread their wings. They always kept them down, and continually denied them export markets.

And then they have the audacity to top yesterdays announcement with rubbish about how positive this is for the company and how bright a future they have beyond Falcon and Territory. What an insult.
Exactly what I was thinking was probably the case. Its all much clearer now.
Old 24-05-2013, 11:30 PM   #827
AG3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbs View Post
Manufacturing here doesn't make sense. If you are bleeding you put a band aid on and hope it heals. If a bandaid doesn't work you find something that will before you bleed to death. It needed to be done.
That's true, Ford has been making a lot of adjustments to make their production more efficient, Ford in the USA is even considering sourcing the next gen (USDM) 2016 Fiesta from Thailand, because the plant in Mexico will be used for higher volume models since B-segment cars sell in lower volumes in North America.

Less people are buying large cars like the Falcon (75,000 annualy ten years ago to less than 20,000 is a big drop), and it wouldn't be profitable for Ford to develop a new large car just for Australia (and New Zealand) that would sell in very low volumes.

Sad to see it go though.
Old 24-05-2013, 11:33 PM   #828
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

It did alway puzzle me why since GP that we could never develop local leaders, the people are there so what was the issue? Like you say Boss, a local would have had more passion and understanding.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 24-05-2013, 11:39 PM   #829
GTP-03

This sucks, cant imagine no Falcon, Falcon ute, GT, Territory and no more supercharged v8 and turbo 6. Its 3 years away, but still, it doesn't feel right, how can a company that's been making cars since the 1920s just shut shop? Why couldn't they make smaller cars viable for the Australian market? What a shame, a crying shame, no more Ford Australia, It will take a while to get use to.
Old 24-05-2013, 11:50 PM   #830
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
It did alway puzzle me why since GP that we could never develop local leaders, the people are there so what was the issue? Like you say Boss, a local would have had more passion and understanding.
And leaders who would have discussed the industry problems and possibilities constructively and working with government officials to ensure proper policies were in place to ensure local manufacture was sustained with a true level playing field. Should have been happening from many years ago.

But governments and Ford HQ had their own interests as their priorities. Local manufacture did not figure in those unfortunately.
Old 24-05-2013, 11:57 PM   #831
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP-03 View Post
no more Ford Australia
Well, Ford Australia as an entity will still exist, but the heart and soul as we know it won't.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Old 25-05-2013, 12:17 AM   #832
AG3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP-03 View Post
how can a company that's been making cars since the 1920s just shut shop? Why couldn't they make smaller cars viable for the Australian market?
When sales of the only models they produce drop dramatically.

Ford already has other regional plants that have the capacity to manufacture smaller Ford models for the the Asia-Pacific region.
In Thailand for example, Ford builds the Fiesta, Focus, Ranger, Everest SUV and soon the EcoSport and exports it around the Asia-Pacific region and in some cases exports them to Europe (like the Ranger).

In the case of Ford Australia, the demand for large cars like the Falcon is shrinking in its home market and the segment it belongs to is almost non-existent in other Asia-Pacific markets.
Old 25-05-2013, 12:38 AM   #833
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor View Post
Remember, not everyone is on fordforums and lives and breathes ford.
And of those who do, not everyone thinks Ford = Falcon. The two are distinct and separate.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
Old 25-05-2013, 12:41 AM   #834
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

no doubts the new super duper fully imported advertising campaigns will make all previous efforts look absolute dismal...

Ford can get stuffed.. i'd rather buy a mazda..
7 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2013, 12:53 AM   #835
BA-Fan
Formerly SM0KED

For all the upset members, I liken this to a niche car market. We enthusiasts always go for the 'Exclusive' models such as Ghia, G6 XR6 Turbo, XR8 FPV etc...

For these buyers, much like Ferrari and Lamborghini buyers, which also aren't manufactured in Australia, we will still get what we want, and I truly beleive we will still have the goosebumps and raised heart rates from the models to be imported here.

Just imagine Boss Mustangs or differently styled Mustang powered sedans?

I think the Boss and Turbo cars will live on...

Last edited by BA-Fan; 25-05-2013 at 01:01 AM.
Old 25-05-2013, 12:58 AM   #836
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
Has anybody else noticed tonight they are showing heaps of Ford ads on TV? All Kuga and Focus, but not Falcon nor Territory. In fact I haven't seen a Falcon ad for ages. Its just as if they have let the Falcon die a natural death, and stuff the locally manufactured Fords.

Perhaps I'm over reacting, but I'm thinking that Ford Detroit headquarters have wanted for some time for local manufacturing to die. Despite the $1.1 billion taxpayer injection over the last 12 years. Sorry Ford, to me you have done the wrong thing.

And letting the cat out of the bag, announcing that manufacture will cease in 3 years time, how on earth can sales of the Territory and Falcon be sustained now for that period of time including a new Falcon introduction. These models have no hope now with buyer lack of confidence.

Its taken me over a day to respond to this thread, I now feel even happier that I purchased one of the best Falcons ever produced, my FG XR50 manual which I love and now intend to keep for a long time, but I'm also angry at Ford Detroit headquarters for what they have done and the way they have done it.
This a million times. And aren't their low finance rates only applicable to small cars?
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Old 25-05-2013, 01:04 AM   #837
AG3

Quote:
Sadly (aside from New Zealand) there is no export markets for the right-hand drive-only Falcon, the large car market in Australia is declining (75K Falcons sold in 2003, in recent years, its been less than 20K) and is even non-existent in other countries (ever wonder why the concept of modern non-luxury V8 4-door cars are considered very Australian.)

Its sad that the Falcon will have to go in a few years, if the market and demand for it was only bigger.

Any company would want to survive, the first thing they do is streamline and close down plants that are not profitable.
Old 25-05-2013, 01:12 AM   #838
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG3 View Post
Any company would want to survive, the first thing they do is streamline and close down plants that are not profitable.
This.

Sad as it may be, it is the only decision the company could have made, in light of recent and ongoing losses. As far as the company is concerned, the survival of the company itself is paramount and supersedes any other consideration (in fact, it is a legal duty imposed on directors of a company to act in the best interests of that company). If it was in the company's best interests to continue Australian manufacturing post-2016, you can bet your bottom dollar that they would've done so.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
Old 25-05-2013, 01:17 AM   #839
Anchor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Dude, give up. You may as well bash your head against a brick wall. You're explaining it better than I did but it's still not sinking in.

Put it this way, in a business sense, our dealership won't be affected. No falcon, territory or falcon ute? Big deal. No floor plan to pay when they sit in stock for a few months.

If you think Ford is going to die without the falcon, you're living in the past. At this present time, there's better vehicles out there to be released under the One Ford program.
67 SS Nova Coupe. Iron AES 398 LS. T56. 2x 72mm T-netics BB. TCI Pro Touring F&R Clip. Streetfighter Project. 1200hp
73 Z28 RS Camaro. 6.0 LS. Coilovers. 18x9 / 18x10.
Old 25-05-2013, 02:16 AM   #840
AG3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor View Post
Dude, give up. You may as well bash your head against a brick wall. You're explaining it better than I did but it's still not sinking in.

Put it this way, in a business sense, our dealership won't be affected. No falcon, territory or falcon ute? Big deal. No floor plan to pay when they sit in stock for a few months.

If you think Ford is going to die without the falcon, you're living in the past. At this present time, there's better vehicles out there to be released under the One Ford program.
Out of curiosity, which are the current top selling Ford models in Australia?
Closed Thread