Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 09:53 PM   #691
weairy
Piston Broke

Default Re: Whats stopping people from buying the Falcon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett7777
heck, is that right? are the FPV's the only V8's in the range?
didnt realize there were no XR8's, but come to think of it, all Ive seen over here are XR6's
There was some XR8s earlier on, but yeah. Phased out.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:02 PM   #692
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfire
The simple facts.

Regardless of all the possible opinions, scenarios both hypothetical and/or purely statistical and theories and excuses relating to any which way or how, Ford Australia is struggling to sell the Falcon, with it's direct rival the Holden Commodore taking up nearly 60% of the large vehicle market.

It's easily said, there's a growth in the small & mid sized car departments, yet despite a trend towards smaller and more economical cars, the Holden Commodore still remained in 2nd place for 2011.

This isn't an anti-FG bias opinion. It's fact. Purely fact.

And if you really needed a credible argument as it why figures are down. There's no wagon model, nor is there an XR8 to my knowledge. While marketing is either focused on trade vehicles, the Territory & the Fiesta.
Sales do not necessarily mean profit, GM lead Ford all the way to bankruptcy...
Old 08-02-2012, 10:13 PM   #693
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RD4TW
Not as much as a Territory ;)
Mate if you think the Falcon is ending then it doesnt matter what the Territory will tow will it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spammy
Who cares - anyone who tows anything more than a box trailer of leaves to the tip went off and bought a Landcruiser/prado/etc about 10 years ago.

That boat has sailed.
The question was what does the falcon do better, wasnt rating the care factor. Dont know where you live but there are plenty of Tez's and Falcons towing around me. Caravans, race trailers, boats etc...never ever seen a mid sizer used for this even if it is rated for it.

The point of a falcon is that it is far more practical than a mondeo. If you can get a model that can have comparable fuel consumption (LPi, EB4, TDI) then I ask the question why would you buy a Mondeo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
In Europe, the 2.2 TDCI Mondeo is rated at 2,000 Kg but to get the best, you'd need an AWD set up like the new Fusion...
By the time you do all of that, you could stick a V6 diesel in Falcon and offer yet another fuel efficient vehicle..

Or, just offer RWD TDCI Territory at $39,990 drive away, watch them whizz out the door then....
(Something Holden cannot match)

RWD Territory Petrol @ $36,990 and diesel at $39,990 = 2500 sales a month easy..
And what does the Fusion tow?

I agree a V6 TDi falcon would rock..but Ford are playing some weird games with that hand...protecting the I6 numbers perhaps?

I thought a TDi Tez RWD TX was around $40k...it wouldnt be far off and you could probably get it buy shopping around.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 08-02-2012, 10:14 PM   #694
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
here's a graph for you (yes, i quote it regularly)

to me this shows that commodore and falcon are suffering the same plight. they are both trending the same. notice over the course of the years the gap between them widens and narrows but overall, they are both heading in the same direction. this is why i don't share the same falcon doom and gloom as many on here.
No one is dismissing the trends away from larger cars, in fact it's largely accepted. Up and down, up and down, it's how the world works. In the last ten years, we've seen financial & economical crashes, housing booms and busts, a drought that gave the country a hiding, looming oil price rises and significant fluctuations since 2002, etc. All these things have a major influence. But it's still largely accepted there's a trend towards smaller cars.

This thread is primarily about the 2011 year and the horrid year the Falcon had, and again as mentioned it's nearest competitor, or now, it's traditional rival outsold the Falcon 2:1, that graph supports what I've already stated, purely the facts. It's not opinion. It points out a decline in large car sales, but it also points out the Falcon had its worse year in 12 years. Again, fact.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11356086

"
... the Commodore suffered a further ignominy in January by being outsold by its smaller Cruze... the Cruze was a distant third with 2400 sales, ahead of the Commodore (2200).

Meanwhile, the Ford Falcon recorded its weakest sales month in more than 50 years.

Ford sold an estimated 950 Falcons in January – the first time on record the nameplate has dipped into a three-digit tally.

"

Jan, 2012.. Mazda3, Corolla & Cruze all had a good start, as expected. Commodore still outsold the Falcon 2:1 and then some. All fact.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:35 PM   #695
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Quote:
Ford sold an estimated 950 Falcons in January – the first time on record the nameplate has dipped into a three-digit tally.
That there is the telling fact.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:36 PM   #696
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkpioe
me too, i disagree entirely. the VE is beautiful, and that view is expressed in the community, and is the reason holden have not needed to update it in 5 years!
The reason Holden haven't updated it is cause they don't have any money to do so, they spent so much money on the billion dollar millstone it left them no money, cause all their money from sales goes to paying off that billion dollars. It has been an absolute millstone around their necks. GM were supposed to build more models off the Zeta platform but they pulled Impala and Buick, leaving Holden to pay it off themselves. VF was supposed to be out in 2010/11 but they had to put it back because they couldn't afford to do it. It's out to 2013/14 now.

Quote:
The simple facts.

Regardless of all the possible opinions, scenarios both hypothetical and/or purely statistical and theories and excuses relating to any which way or how, Ford Australia is struggling to sell the Falcon, with it's direct rival the Holden Commodore taking up nearly 60% of the large vehicle market.

It's easily said, there's a growth in the small & mid sized car departments, yet despite a trend towards smaller and more economical cars, the Holden Commodore still remained in 2nd place for 2011.

This isn't an anti-FG bias opinion. It's fact. Purely fact.

And if you really needed a credible argument as it why figures are down. There's no wagon model, nor is there an XR8 to my knowledge. While marketing is either focused on trade vehicles, the Territory & the Fiesta.
FG sedan has outsold VE sedan on a number of occasions, its the lack of wagon that is giving Holden such a huge advantage. Similar story with utes, there isn't much difference between them month to month. FG ute actually outsold VE ute twice late last year, and has come within less than 50 or so sales to VE ute a few other times.

Sedan for sedan, and ute for ute FG is pretty close to VE in terms of sales. VE wagon has given Holden a massive free kick, but then again Ford has Territory too.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:49 PM   #697
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal

And what does the Fusion tow?
No specs available yeat but it's an upgraded Mondeo frame with AWD..

Quote:
I agree a V6 TDi falcon would rock..but Ford are playing some weird games with that hand...protecting the I6 numbers perhaps?
Yep, trying to build numbers
but I wonder what happens if the research starts to say that a diesel is warranted..

Quote:
I thought a TDi Tez RWD TX was around $40k...it wouldnt be far off and you could probably get it buy shopping around.
Yeah, it's up around $43K at the moment, I think Ford can go a bit more aggressive with Territory pricing,
put the I-6 at the same price as XR6 and make the TDCI $3,000 more at $39,990 drive away and watch em go...
Old 08-02-2012, 11:06 PM   #698
weairy
Piston Broke

I personally think Ford might have made a wrong move with the 4cyl Falcon... Kinda taking the approach Nissan did with the Patrol. Downsizing on a bigger car just doesn't seem to do justice. I don't know any of the power figures behind the 4cyl, but I'd personally never buy one...
Old 08-02-2012, 11:06 PM   #699
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Yep, trying to build numbers but I wonder what happens if the research starts to say that a diesel is warranted..
See this is the problem, if the TDI tez is not an example of people wanting TDi then I dont know what else is. If they wait another 12/24 months and figure out its a good idea then ill be doing lots of this>>>

I dont think people generally care to much what fuel goes in, how many cylinders it has etc..if it ticks all the boxes and uses less fuel (in the 7-8 range would be great..6's would be crazy) then I think it would do well.

Dont even start me on TDI utes! So much win there, although LPi utes sell ok too but I think private buyers would lean towards TDi.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 08-02-2012, 11:09 PM   #700
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Yeah, it's up around $43K at the moment, I think Ford can go a bit more aggressive with Territory pricing,
put the I-6 at the same price as XR6 and make the TDCI $3,000 more at $39,990 drive away and watch em go...
add the 7 seat option and there'll be one in every driveway.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:14 PM   #701
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
The reason Holden haven't updated it is cause they don't have any money to do so, they spent so much money on the billion dollar millstone it left them no money, cause all their money from sales goes to paying off that billion dollars. It has been an absolute millstone around their necks. GM were supposed to build more models off the Zeta platform but they pulled Impala and Buick, leaving Holden to pay it off themselves. VF was supposed to be out in 2010/11 but they had to put it back because they couldn't afford to do it. It's out to 2013/14 now.
Very true. I remember when the VE was first released, Holden was saying that model cycles will only be 5-6 years. That's complete model cycles i.e. AU - BF, VT - VZ, XD - XF etc. That hasn't eventuated as it looks like the VE - VF will have a life cycle of at least 10 years.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
Old 08-02-2012, 11:17 PM   #702
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:

They have already though? Petrol Territorys starting from $36,990 and Diesel Territorys starting from $39,990! Brand new drive away ..... 2011 plated but still.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-02-2012, 11:18 PM   #703
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
They have already though? Petrol Territorys starting from $36,990 and Diesel Territorys starting from $39,990! Brand new drive away ..... 2011 plated but still.
That's a lot of car for the money. They should fly off the shelves.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
Old 09-02-2012, 01:55 PM   #704
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not agreeing sorry .... Yes there is a place for cheap nasty crap ..... Macca;s has shown us the way on this ..... but in business I would rather be number 10 but have the quality and in the end, the profits to go with it. Is Mazda playing out to this theory? Better check to see how being number 1 = profit in the car industry.
Over the longer term, cars are a numbers game with economies of scale being a big factor and unless you are Porsche or Rolls or Bentley, then the quality only angle will not get you far. (note both Bentley and Rolls made no money for years and got sold to volume manufacters and Porsche was close to bankrupcy)

And it's hard to build an arguement that the Falcon will sell because of its percived build quailty.

Falcon competes (or at least used to compete) in the mass market, knock them together, knock the price down and sell 'um world.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:16 PM   #705
SB.1

Coming into this late but traditional fleet sellers like Falcon & Commodore must be suffering from fleets moving to smaller cars also. However, that doesn't explain why Commodore is still up there - maybe it's the wagon - also a big fleet seller? Fleets will not go for a Terri petrol because of the fuel, but maybe a Terri Diesel? Under $40K for a TX Diesel may get a few.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:36 PM   #706
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2monty
That's a lot of car for the money. They should fly off the shelves.
Wow.... you know, Ford is coming out of the boxes quick this year, I wouldn't be surprised to see those prices continue.
There's not too many SUVs than can touch Territory at that price, especially the siz cylinder diesel...

It's amazing what's possible when major decisions hinge on demonstrating sales potential...
Old 09-02-2012, 04:36 PM   #707
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB.1
Coming into this late but traditional fleet sellers like Falcon & Commodore must be suffering from fleets moving to smaller cars also. However, that doesn't explain why Commodore is still up there - maybe it's the wagon - also a big fleet seller? Fleets will not go for a Terri petrol because of the fuel, but maybe a Terri Diesel? Under $40K for a TX Diesel may get a few.
How will the Carbon Tax affect them?

Ford and Holden can throw in the most economical engine available, but the competition will do the same in a smaller car. Large companies looking at cutting down on their Carbon foot print will look at both options, but we can all guess which will win at the end of the day; small vehicle + economical engine = less carbon tax.
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
Old 09-02-2012, 04:42 PM   #708
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep
How will the Carbon Tax affect them?

Ford and Holden can throw in the most economical engine available, but the competition will do the same in a smaller car. Large companies looking at cutting down on their Carbon foot print will look at both options, but we can all guess which will win at the end of the day; small vehicle + economical engine = less carbon tax.
Do companies have to pay Carbon tax on there car fleets as well???
Old 09-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #709
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Only from reading this thread did I realise the Xr8 is no longer available - big error. To not have an affordable V8 in a local Aussie car sort of defeats the reason to have a large Aussie car.

I know the turbo is prob faster, lighter, whatever - but V8 is the backbone of the Falcon and Commodore fanbase.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #710
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB.1
Falcon and Commodore have always been close, so why the biggest difference in history??

Wagon and V8.

Falcon claws some sales back by being a newer offering, being cheaper and by having a dedicated LPG, but the wagon and V8 combination slaughter the Falcon.

Commodore sells about 110% more than Falcon a month.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:03 PM   #711
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

having not read the last 24 pages, the reason i see for falcon not selling well is:
- product perception
- too big for the average person, needs to be mondeo size
- the suv fad
- too heavy
- cheaper imports
- no wags
- brand experience
- product perception

Twin Horns 8-9/74 and lower horn dated 7-8/74, GT hubcaps. GT aircleaner. Please pm me if you can help
Old 09-02-2012, 05:06 PM   #712
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by weairy
I personally think Ford might have made a wrong move with the 4cyl Falcon... Kinda taking the approach Nissan did with the Patrol. Downsizing on a bigger car just doesn't seem to do justice. I don't know any of the power figures behind the 4cyl, but I'd personally never buy one...
I suggust you take a look, you might by very very surprised.. But for this reason, I think it could be a hard sell for Ford. I just hope the marketing department is up to it!!
Old 09-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #713
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Only from reading this thread did I realise the Xr8 is no longer available - big error. To not have an affordable V8 in a local Aussie car sort of defeats the reason to have a large Aussie car.

I know the turbo is prob faster, lighter, whatever - but V8 is the backbone of the Falcon and Commodore fanbase.
You can buy one of the best V8's offered in any car in the country in a Falcon. It just does not have an XR8 badge on it!! But it is a Falcon!!
Old 09-02-2012, 05:10 PM   #714
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Falcon and Commodore have always been close, so why the biggest difference in history??

Wagon and V8.

Falcon claws some sales back by being a newer offering, being cheaper and by having a dedicated LPG, but the wagon and V8 combination slaughter the Falcon.

Commodore sells about 110% more than Falcon a month.
quick someone send a memo to ford. ford forum member knows more than they do!!
Old 09-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #715
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
You can buy one of the best V8's offered in any car in the country in a Falcon. It just does not have an XR8 badge on it!! But it is a Falcon!!
But is it only a few grand more than the 6 cly model? The Commo SS sells by the truck load to those who want HSV performance for not much more than base model pricing.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:32 PM   #716
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

While we are on the topic, what happened to the FPV turbo models?
Old 09-02-2012, 05:38 PM   #717
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Wouldn't be hard trust me...

Problem for Ford is they have no $$$, without $$$ how can you move forward in employing talented people who actually know what people want...
Old 09-02-2012, 05:41 PM   #718
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Last year they sold 18,000 Falcons. They are smart.

But I get Im a scmuck though.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #719
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Last year they sold 18,000 Falcons. They are smart.
Try dealing with them...

Old 09-02-2012, 05:46 PM   #720
anto
Za Dom spremni

Quote:
But is it only a few grand more than the 6 cly model? The Commo SS sells by the truck load to those who want HSV performance for not much more than base model pricing.

this is true in my case. I have nothing in the range that appeals to me in this category and price range. Can quite afford an FPV just now but something in the SS price range would be perfect. It all leaves me looking for a low Km FG XR8 5.4 with the right color and options sadly... whats a bloke to do.
AU III XR8 red ute
Closed Thread