Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 04:24 PM   #631
prydey
Rob

Default Re: Whats stopping people from buying the Falcon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfire
If not looks, and in saying that most people wouldn't have a clue what extras or options are in their cars mechanical make up.. then why are more Commodores sold over the Falcon?

quite simply, because of the badge on the front. australians believe holdens are australian and anything with a holden badge on the front sells way better than what it should.

do you really think the cruze would sell if it was sold here with a daewoo badge on it.

ford is considered american, holden australian. its that simple.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #632
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
ahhh the cruiser is a diesel.......the penny drops, i thought there was something fishy, petrol 4wd v8 behemoths just don`t get better fuel economy than cars, not really apples for apples is it being diesel vs petrol.
And if its a diesel 200 series add another $20,000 to the retail price........
Old 07-02-2012, 04:50 PM   #633
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do others think the taxi stigma impacts on Falcon sales. In the back of my mind I associate being in a falcon with wierd smells, diff whine and loud talk back radio.

Not the sole reason for me not buying a new Falcon but does weigh on my thnking.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:33 PM   #634
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
and yet you whinge when ecoboost isn't offered in xr6 you can't have it both ways. also, ask every xr6 driver you come across whether they know what diff they have in their car. 99% of them won't have a clue. G6ET has no LSD either and does low 13's down the 1/4 standard. having no LSD only bothers people like you who like to pick on things that buyers don't really care or know about.

looks are subjective. i have always thought the ve is an ugly car. so from my point of view, the xr6 kills it in looks. doesn't look like a toad.
Im not having it both ways, I didnt say LSDs sell cars. He just asked what the SV6 has over the XR6. Most buyers wouldnt care about the diff.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #635
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Sometimes one's business case needs to be expanded to take in the big view...

How did Ford make T6 Ranger viable?
By discussing the Mid Sized Truck needs with as many Ford markets and regions as possible....

A falcon/Territory just for Australia might not make business sense but if the costs of development
were shared with other regions...especially the big market to our direct North, things might change...

I could be very wrong on this but having Marin Burela in a key position in China may help FoA's cause...

Last edited by jpd80; 07-02-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #636
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
quite simply, because of the badge on the front. australians believe holdens are australian and anything with a holden badge on the front sells way better than what it should.

do you really think the cruze would sell if it was sold here with a daewoo badge on it.

ford is considered american, holden australian. its that simple.
allways the badge hay...

what do i get with an XR6??

SV6/8 power windows standard.
LSD standard..
man/auto..
blue tooth.
satnav.
fill a phone book with options.

it is totaly diffarent to the omega, not just a body kit!!
Old 07-02-2012, 07:09 PM   #637
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

What stops people from buying the Falcon? Their last one!!

That and silly dealers who ignore customers... Just like one ignored me today when I walked across the yard to look at a GS for 10 minutes... Must have been too hot for them...
Old 07-02-2012, 07:10 PM   #638
martyk54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Im not having it both ways, I didnt say LSDs sell cars. He just asked what the SV6 has over the XR6. Most buyers wouldnt care about the diff.
The company I work for has mostly Commodores for lease cars, so I get to drive a range of them.. SV6s, Omegas, etc. Compared to Falcon they're rubbish, plain and simple. I'm totally dumbfounded that ANYONE could step out of a Commodore and into a Falcon without selecting the latter. The smoothness of Falcon power delivery and all around driveability and 'feel' on the road is miles ahead of Commodore. The sound of the Commodore 6 accelerating from idle is so rough... no torque either. My colleagues get sick of me saying it, most simply couldn't care less.

This is the bottom line. People will generally put road presence, social assumptions, the badge and what their friends think is cool before the attributes of the car itself. It's not hard to come to this conclusion. SUVs are everywhere and THEY ALL drive like rubbish compared to a well set-up sedan. Reasoning? It's the current fad.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:10 PM   #639
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
allways the badge hay...

what do i get with an XR6??

SV6/8 power windows standard.
LSD standard..
man/auto..
blue tooth.
satnav.
fill a phone book with options.

it is totaly diffarent to the omega, not just a body kit!!
Nice spelling bro!!

XR6 has standard power windows too you know...

SV6 does not come with Satnav standard, its an option, just as its an option on XR6.. They are both on par now, with both of them having touch screens, 18 inch wheels, reverses sensors, side airbags...
Old 07-02-2012, 07:17 PM   #640
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

But one has a lawn mower of an engine and a trans calibration done by a 5 year old. Although to be fair I think the lack of torque is actually the issue as it kicks down at the sight of an ant hill.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 07-02-2012, 07:29 PM   #641
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyk54
The company I work for has mostly Commodores for lease cars, so I get to drive a range of them.. SV6s, Omegas, etc. Compared to Falcon they're rubbish, plain and simple. I'm totally dumbfounded that ANYONE could step out of a Commodore and into a Falcon without selecting the latter. The smoothness of Falcon power delivery and all around driveability and 'feel' on the road is miles ahead of Commodore. The sound of the Commodore 6 accelerating from idle is so rough... no torque either. My colleagues get sick of me saying it, most simply couldn't care less.

This is the bottom line. People will generally put road presence, social assumptions, the badge and what their friends think is cool before the attributes of the car itself. It's not hard to come to this conclusion. SUVs are everywhere and THEY ALL drive like rubbish compared to a well set-up sedan. Reasoning? It's the current fad.
I am a Ford man through and through, I had a Series II SV6 VE last time I went to Sydney before Christmas and I believe it was a better car then an FG XR6... It felt more solid on the road, regardless of the poor power train it still felt better built and quieter. It also had better leg room and seating position, something the Falcon does very poorly. I could get my long legs in and out of the SV6 much easier then my FG's... I actually enjoyed it, but then it might be just because I am bored with the FG...
Old 07-02-2012, 07:35 PM   #642
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
Nice spelling bro!!

XR6 has standard power windows too you know...

SV6 does not come with Satnav standard, its an option, just as its an option on XR6.. They are both on par now, with both of them having touch screens, 18 inch wheels, reverses sensors, side airbags...
whats the differance with a XR6 and XT?
same question SV6 v omega..

how much of an option list does the falc have?
Old 07-02-2012, 07:44 PM   #643
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.fleetcare.com.au/go/blog/...g-cars-of-2011

By model
Vehicle 2011 / 2010 %diff

1. Mazda3-----------41,429 / 39,003 / 6.2
2. Commodore-----40,617 / 45,956 / -11.6
3. Toyota Hilux-----36,124 / 39,896 / -9.5
4. Toyota Corolla---36,087 / 41,632 / -13.3
5. Holden Cruze----33,784 / 28,334 / 19.2
6. Hyundai i30------28,869 / 29,772 / -3
7. Nissan Navara---21,675 / 21,171 / 2.4
8. Toyota Camry---19,169 / 25,014 / -23.4
9. Ford Falcon------18,741 / 29,516 / -36.5
10. Mits' Lancer------18,717 / 23,076 / -18.9

That's a 36.5% decrease in sales in one year. And the Commodore, only saw less than a 12% drop in sales.

Sure, small and mid sized cars are becoming the rage, however again.. Commodore only saw an 11.6% drop, while the Falcon dropped 36.5%..
Old 07-02-2012, 07:51 PM   #644
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

Quote:
http://www.fleetcare.com.au/go/blog/...g-cars-of-2011

By model
Vehicle 2011 / 2010 %diff

1. Mazda3-----------41,429 / 39,003 / 6.2
2. Commodore-----40,617 / 45,956 / -11.6
3. Toyota Hilux-----36,124 / 39,896 / -9.5
4. Toyota Corolla---36,087 / 41,632 / -13.3
5. Holden Cruze----33,784 / 28,334 / 19.2
6. Hyundai i30------28,869 / 29,772 / -3
7. Nissan Navara---21,675 / 21,171 / 2.4
8. Toyota Camry---19,169 / 25,014 / -23.4
9. Ford Falcon------18,741 / 29,516 / -36.5
10. Mits' Lancer------18,717 / 23,076 / -18.9

That's a 36.5% decrease in sales in one year. And the Commodore, only saw less than a 12% drop in sales.

Sure, small and mid sized cars are becoming the rage, however again.. Commodore only saw an 11.6% drop, while the Falcon dropped 36.5%..
Interesting to see the Cruze came out of nowhere to clearly steal some Corolla sales, possibly some commodore and Camry sales too.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:00 PM   #645
F6E

Read an interesting article on the weekend about car sizing and "bracket creep" . How cars 'grow' with every new model released.

example was the Cruze vs the original VB Commodore

Cruze is wider and taller and only 100mm shorter than the VB

Sis-in-law had the original Rav 4 forever, he has a 5 yo Prado, she just traded up to a new Rav 4 and side-by-side, the thing is nearly as big as the old Prado !!

current rides.....
F6E - Cooler, Cat, CAI, Flash, 20's, SSL's - 317 rwkw : 9/10
BFII - Workhorse yoot : 6/10

past bitches of note.....
E60 M5 - V10 excess, the pinacle : 11/10
VE SSV - 102000 trouble free Kms : 9/10
VZ Cross8 - V8 AWD, great allrounder. : 8/10
BA XR8 - Fat & Slow : 3/10
XH XR6 - 8/10
XG S - 7.5/10
Old 07-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #646
weairy
Piston Broke

Quote:
I am a Ford man through and through, I had a Series II SV6 VE last time I went to Sydney before Christmas and I believe it was a better car then an FG XR6... It felt more solid on the road, regardless of the poor power train it still felt better built and quieter. It also had better leg room and seating position, something the Falcon does very poorly. I could get my long legs in and out of the SV6 much easier then my FG's... I actually enjoyed it, but then it might be just because I am bored with the FG...
My mother in law has a new SS Wagon, fully factory optioned with all the Walkinshaw crap and one of the first Series II models. I think it's one of the most horrid things I've ever had the misfortune of being a passenger in. Sure, the 6lt V8 had a nice note and a fair amount of go behind it, but my god the thing rode like a 3 wheeled shopping trolley. And with three of us across the back (we're all pretty average built) it was a tight squeeze. Apart from that, I think they're really tacky inside and the Holden IQ system was pathetic (actually went back to Holden for replacement after 10,000km).

My mechanic had an SV6 SI for awhile there and barely drove it because, to him, it had more road noise than my old VT had, and "drives like a horny praying mantis". And he's a devout Holden/Chev lover.

It all comes down to personal preference I suppose. I love my XR6 and I have full intentions of buying an XR6T or GT-P when I'm off my P Plates, and wouldn't ever consider a Commodore over it again.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:26 PM   #647
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think recently that Australian branding is actually becoming a negative for Holden. Buyers are becoming more brand snobs and poo-poo Holdens (and Fords) because they think they are agricultural and could never compete with foreign-built vehicles .. Everything built overseas has been painted with the awesome brush, and everything made here is painted with fecal matter. They'd probably sell more Commodores nowadays if they rebadged them as Opels and told people they were German ..
Old 07-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #648
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
You must be getting bored mate...
I have had numourous hire car's, as in FG XR6's and VE SV6's, as for ride, space and comfort and layout and ease or function's I find the FG miles ahead, I may be slighly biased but I was quite interested to try out the VE and see how it compares and I went in with eyes wide open, and the verdict, well to me the FG is a much sound vehicle.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:24 PM   #649
bad moon rising
Banned

does anybody know roughy how much of commodore sales are due to fleet purchasing? i would be interested to know that.

as far a the ve vs fg issue goes, both cars are nice enough to me, i havnt been in a 6 cylinder ve but ive given a manual ss a drive and it seemed to be a very nice car.it seemed to be a lot better than the previous models with the 5.7L.but i do like the fg turbo as well.
i think commodore styling is probulbly a bit more aggressive than ford at least as far as sv6/ss vs xr6 goes.

im sure fleet is more than likley the reason commodore does so well with sales. im sure that most (but not all!) familes dont need a full size falcon/commodore anymore. people are scared of the price of fuel and the global recession so there down sizing.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:46 PM   #650
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
It looks better. It looks far more modern. Maybe it's the illusion of the VE's stylized size and exaggerated proportions working it's magic on the SV6 or what have you, but it standouts over the FG XR6.

And it's not an anti-Falcon jab. It was the other way around with the BA & BF XR models vs the VY & VZ counterparts.
The VE looks ancient, its pretty much exactly the same as it was when it was released a millenia ago.

Its aged pretty poorly. FG still looks fresh and FG2 has freshened it even more.

And just think the VE still has 1 or 2 more years to go before it finally gets a proper styling update. That will basically make it 8 years old with basically the same look, thats a ridiculous amount of time in automotive terms.

Just shows how much the billion dollar millstone screwed Holden.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:15 PM   #651
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad moon rising
does anybody know roughy how much of commodore sales are due to fleet purchasing? i would be interested to know that.

as far a the ve vs fg issue goes, both cars are nice enough to me, i havnt been in a 6 cylinder ve but ive given a manual ss a drive and it seemed to be a very nice car.it seemed to be a lot better than the previous models with the 5.7L.but i do like the fg turbo as well.
i think commodore styling is probulbly a bit more aggressive than ford at least as far as sv6/ss vs xr6 goes.

im sure fleet is more than likley the reason commodore does so well with sales. im sure that most (but not all!) familes dont need a full size falcon/commodore anymore. people are scared of the price of fuel and the global recession so there down sizing.

About a 1/4 of commodore sales are private. But remember fleet sales can be distorted when some companies allow employees to chose what ever car they want. i.e. effectively a "private choice" but gets logged as a fleet sale. The company I used to work for did this - there were Porsches and Ferraris which would have shown up as "fleet sales"

full artice here: http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...203-1qw33.html
Old 07-02-2012, 11:18 PM   #652
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by weairy
My mother in law has a new SS Wagon, fully factory optioned with all the Walkinshaw crap and one of the first Series II models. I think it's one of the most horrid things I've ever had the misfortune of being a passenger in. Sure, the 6lt V8 had a nice note and a fair amount of go behind it, but my god the thing rode like a 3 wheeled shopping trolley. And with three of us across the back (we're all pretty average built) it was a tight squeeze. Apart from that, I think they're really tacky inside and the Holden IQ system was pathetic (actually went back to Holden for replacement after 10,000km).

My mechanic had an SV6 SI for awhile there and barely drove it because, to him, it had more road noise than my old VT had, and "drives like a horny praying mantis". And he's a devout Holden/Chev lover.

It all comes down to personal preference I suppose. I love my XR6 and I have full intentions of buying an XR6T or GT-P when I'm off my P Plates, and wouldn't ever consider a Commodore over it again.
Well ive had a bucket load of Fords, and driven a few road train loads... The Falcon has a shitful seating position (drivers side, I don't care about passengers). The SV6 handled better then the FG and as I said felt better built.

Each to their own, im not a big Holden fan but I would happily have an SV6 over an XR6, simply for the better seating position, if nothing else.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:19 PM   #653
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
The VE looks ancient, its pretty much exactly the same as it was when it was released a millenia ago.

At least the VE looks different to the model it replaced. Ford have failed to make the FG (I didn't realise there is a FG mk2 until last week) look significatly different to the BA or BF.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:46 PM   #654
prydey
Rob

Quote:
The Falcon has a shitful seating position
i've never understood that criticism. so much so, i started a thread on it. quite a few people have no issues with their seating position. i reckon many read it in magazines and form an opinion before they experience it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spammy
At least the VE looks different to the model it replaced. Ford have failed to make the FG (I didn't realise there is a FG mk2 until last week) look significatly different to the BA or BF.
not this chestnut again.

whilst i don't think FG looks like BF2, i don't see a problem with making each new model an evolution of the previous rather than a revolution. have a look at most other brands and models.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:56 PM   #655
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Yeah, i'm sure people with vision problems had a hard time.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:59 PM   #656
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i've never understood that criticism. so much so, i started a thread on it. quite a few people have no issues with their seating position. i reckon many read it in magazines and form an opinion before they experience it.

not this chestnut again.

whilst i don't think FG looks like BF2, i don't see a problem with making each new model an evolution of the previous rather than a revolution. have a look at most other brands and models.

Firstly - the seating position in BA/BF and FG falcons is appauling. I'm 6 foot, my wife is 5 ft 7in - niether of us can find a seating position that makes sense in a Falcon + the uneasy relationship between where the seat is and where the door aperture is. They are really unpleasant to get in and out of.

Secondly: I have owned a number of BMWs so I get the concept of evolution of a model. However, there are meaningful and noticable evolutionary steps between BMW models - there is nothing of note between a BF and an FG ....99% of the population would struggle to pick the difference.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:04 AM   #657
prydey
Rob

i'm 6"2 and find mine very comfortable. my wife is 5 foot nothing and also has no issues. each to their own.

the looks thing is a non event. you are a minority. a very very small minority.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:08 AM   #658
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i'm 6"2 and find mine very comfortable. my wife is 5 foot nothing and also has no issues. each to their own.

the looks thing is a non event. you are a minority. a very very small minority.

However, not as small as the minority who actually bought Falcons last year.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:09 AM   #659
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Lots of in this thread.

BA to BF .... yes agree, very insignificant to the point of rediculous but B series to F series? Heres another

Quote:
Glad you actually brought that one up! Have thought this strange for donkeys but thought I must be the only person in the world who thinks the position in the B and F series was good. Didn't want to say so as I thought I would be shot, strung and quartered for saying something positive about a FORD!

Actually had a mate who is Red team through and through ..... had to hire an FG XR6 (VE broke down ) and after a week sheepishly admitted that he way preferred the FG ..... over the Calais? He is 6 foot something I actually asked him about the 'problem' seating and he looked at me stupid .......

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-02-2012, 01:40 AM   #660
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Quote:
Do others think the taxi stigma impacts on Falcon sales. In the back of my mind I associate being in a falcon with wierd smells, diff whine and loud talk back radio.

Not the sole reason for me not buying a new Falcon but does weigh on my thnking.

I hear this all the time as a taxi driver. There is some truth to what you say but IMHO you have it backwards, if the Commodore, Mazda, Camry etc were any good (in terms of ergonomics, affordability, fixability, fuel economy, getting spare parts and longevity) then THEY would be the majority of the cars you would be riding in as taxis.

The Prius had skewed this a bit lately, it is good for fuel economy but fails most other areas.

Go to Germany, most cabs are Mercedes Benz, I doubt that makes all Merc's rubbish then. Even though they are Merc's they still smell, rattle, bang whine etc like the taxis here.
Closed Thread