Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 18-12-2006, 09:16 PM   #31
Rmyers
Does Steve have a car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo
Are you even 100% sure the noise is coming from the box.
I'm sure the box is fine, never doubted it, and drives perfectly. The sound is coming from towards the back of the motor, so i think it's more bottom end related which inturn may be causing other problems in the bellhousing area. Either way, i'm going to get the box checked before hand, and if all is good, she'll be up for sale.

"When Chuck Norris jumps into water, he does not get wet, the water gets Chuck Norris..."
Rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2006, 09:27 PM   #32
efgiar
rofl copter

steve, if i heard it and it sounded similar to what mine sounded like i could put my bottom dollar on flywheel bolts being loose

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2006, 09:55 PM   #33
Rmyers
Does Steve have a car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by efgiar
steve, if i heard it and it sounded similar to what mine sounded like i could put my bottom dollar on flywheel bolts being loose
As i said in my previous thread, even if that is the case (and your probably right as it sounds exactly like how it did last time the bolts came loose), it's a sign of an underlying problem.

"When Chuck Norris jumps into water, he does not get wet, the water gets Chuck Norris..."
Old 18-12-2006, 09:59 PM   #34
Damo
Banned

well the bolts need 90-100 Nm, bolts don't just come loose.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2006, 10:02 PM   #35
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Auto, cool, lets add paddles to the steering wheel for sequential shifting while you are at it, or a BF shifter and sequential shifting

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2006, 10:15 PM   #36
Christiaan
Tuned @ Pitlane Frankston

wtf.....
BA MKII XR6 Turbo, 6sp Manual - Vibe purple, Premium sound, Sports leather, BA XR8 wheels, Koni adjustable suspension, Nizpro v/springs, Walbro in-tank pump, Siemens 60lb injectors, Process West stage 1 intercooler, Mal Wood 11" Option 3 clutch, Tripod gauges, Custom Mainlube T56 gearbox oil, ETM turbo oil feed line, Typhoon intake, BMC Panel filter, Turbosmart BOV, Tuned by Pit Lane Performance - 300.4rwkw @ 12psi
Christiaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2006, 10:16 PM   #37
efgiar
rofl copter

i still think it would be worth taking the 4 bolts off and checking the flywheel for movment, at least you kno were you will stand

thats all
Old 18-12-2006, 10:18 PM   #38
Christiaan

Steve, if the flywheel bolts are loose, why is there an underlying problem regarding that? You said that if it's the flywheel bolts, then it doesn't matter, because there are bigger problems.. Like what?
BA MKII XR6 Turbo, 6sp Manual - Vibe purple, Premium sound, Sports leather, BA XR8 wheels, Koni adjustable suspension, Nizpro v/springs, Walbro in-tank pump, Siemens 60lb injectors, Process West stage 1 intercooler, Mal Wood 11" Option 3 clutch, Tripod gauges, Custom Mainlube T56 gearbox oil, ETM turbo oil feed line, Typhoon intake, BMC Panel filter, Turbosmart BOV, Tuned by Pit Lane Performance - 300.4rwkw @ 12psi
Old 18-12-2006, 10:23 PM   #39
efgiar
rofl copter

could be an crank that has major balancing problems, a worn spiggot, worn shaft, anything that can cause the motor to vibrate like he has mentioned. but flywheel bolts come loose regardless. if there was oil/grease in the thread on the crank then the locktite doesnt work too well but thats what i would do anyways. either way you go its a damn nice car

thats all
Old 18-12-2006, 10:51 PM   #40
Rmyers
Does Steve have a car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuresm58
Steve, if the flywheel bolts are loose, why is there an underlying problem regarding that? You said that if it's the flywheel bolts, then it doesn't matter, because there are bigger problems.. Like what?
Flywheel bolts don't just come loose for no reason. They were tightened and loctited, so why would they all of a sudden come loose again after only a couple of laid back spins in the car.

I've made up my mind anyway, even if it turns out to be a rattlesnake under my car, i'm going ahead with the rebuild...

Old 18-12-2006, 11:29 PM   #41
Damo
Banned

:|...
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2006, 11:56 PM   #42
Christiaan

Steve, you're giving up too easy.

Get it runnning right, and you'll love the manual.

To rebuild will set the car off the road for another 12-24 months. Engines and gearboxes don't come cheap.

Keep the setup the way you have it at the moment, find the problem, and enjoy the car.
Old 19-12-2006, 12:14 AM   #43
John_LS1

steve, i got a nice EL bottem end fully reco, ill sell it to you what it cost me just whack your head on it.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2006, 01:09 AM   #44
sphell
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree with everyone that says find the problem. Changing engine and trans again is just gonna be a headf*ck. Not to mention a huge drain on the bank account. Your gonna have to spend huge bucks to go better than what you already have. New bottom end, new charger, new strengthened box.......the list goes on.

I don't know what's wrong with your car but after reading this thread I assume you have a pretty bad knocking/vibrating sound coming from the back of the engine. It can't be that hard to figure out what it is! Fix it and drive the thing!
sphell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2006, 01:31 AM   #45
sphell
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok I just read your other thread about the grinding noise, I doubt it's the flywheel bolts especially if you loctite'd them and torqued them up to spec. Those things are *** tight so even if it was the bottom end vibrating I don't reckon they'd come loose.

Did you put the actual clutch disc in the correct way?

It's obviously something that moves/rotates that's making the noise. I'd drop the box out and just inspect the whole clutch assembly etc. While it's out, pull out all the spark plugs and crank the motor to see if it sounds smooth. I really doubt it's the bottom end too.....it takes heaps to kill them.

It could also be a syncro in the box because they would get noisier when the clutch grabs.
sphell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2006, 03:09 AM   #46
Rmyers
Does Steve have a car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphell
Ok I just read your other thread about the grinding noise, I doubt it's the flywheel bolts especially if you loctite'd them and torqued them up to spec. Those things are *** tight so even if it was the bottom end vibrating I don't reckon they'd come loose.

Did you put the actual clutch disc in the correct way?

It's obviously something that moves/rotates that's making the noise. I'd drop the box out and just inspect the whole clutch assembly etc. While it's out, pull out all the spark plugs and crank the motor to see if it sounds smooth. I really doubt it's the bottom end too.....it takes heaps to kill them.

It could also be a syncro in the box because they would get noisier when the clutch grabs.
Sound is constantly there, not just when the clutch is grabbing. If the current bottom end is OK, that's just a bonus.

I'd like to make perfectly clear on what i plan to do. First off i just want to rebuild the motor and get a strong box in there, that's it for now. The current supercharger stays until i can afford an upgrade (which wont be for a while). I've worked out that not much extra money will be spent on getting the rebuild done, as i will be funding most (if not all) of it by selling off various other items. I have $1700 owing to me from previous sales already, and the items i have left (stereo gear and manual conversion) should go most of the way to fund the rebuild, so the drain on my bank account is not an issue.

As for time, engine and trans swaps are easy, only variable is when i can sell everything by and how long it will take to get the Engine/trans built. There's no talking me out of it guys...

Old 19-12-2006, 03:11 AM   #47
Rmyers
Does Steve have a car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphell
I really doubt it's the bottom end too.....it takes heaps to kill them.
Would frequent trips to 6500rpm do it?? lol I was not nice to my motor :P

Old 19-12-2006, 03:20 AM   #48
Rmyers
Does Steve have a car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuresm58
Engines and gearboxes don't come cheap.
You think??? :

Old 19-12-2006, 08:35 AM   #49
LTDHO
The one and only

Steve you will be soo p1ssed if you do engine/trans swap and the noise is still there!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2006, 09:09 AM   #50
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Sometimes it is just easier to start again, thats what I had to do with my motor when it would not start for no sudden reason and was able to shoot flames out the throttle body, wasted about 2 weeks getting no where trying to fix it, new motor and 150% happy now

P.S. Steve you have a PM

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2006, 10:07 AM   #51
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Hmm... You know what? I call BS!

I reckon at the next meet Steve will rock up in NWOLB and say Gotcha Suckers! And no one will be expecting it except me, because I already called it :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2006, 12:50 PM   #52
FordGirl
The Goodz' PR Manager

haha, I wouldn't put it past tripod + 1
Old 19-12-2006, 01:25 PM   #53
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenaz

I reckon at the next meet Steve will rock up in NWOLB and say Gotcha Suckers! And no one will be expecting it except me, because I already called it :P
haha i highly doubt it tho! althought if he was playing a prank he's done a damn good job of it! :nutsycuck
Old 19-12-2006, 04:52 PM   #54
Rmyers
Does Steve have a car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenaz

Lol, i remember people having this theory when she was meant to attend the glenmaggie cruise, and again for the GOR :P It's no joke unfortunately, and besides, i can't keep a secret for my life (my own secrets that is :P).

Depending on how my sales go, i may think about just doing the motor for now, as i really want it to be at all ford day. Ultimately tho it's going back to auto, we just haveto wait and see how things pan out....

Old 19-12-2006, 05:01 PM   #55
MADED-6
MADED.6

do it man im rebuilbing my motor atm but im staying n/a as i dont plan on doing turbo/supercharger any time soon and when she is running i will be the happiest man on here. well besides a few ppl with f6's and gt's but they dont count lol. i have spent around about $2,500 on my rebuild but everything is new and i spent a fair bit on head work and also little things like getting my extractors and intake manifold jet hot coated have cost me a bit. and i got a acl race series rebuild kit with pistons and all. go for it no point trying to make a standard motor reliable. especially at 6500rpm.
cheers josh.
MADED-6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2006, 05:06 PM   #56
Gubas
- BOOYEH -

Look in the for sale section. There is a rebuilt EB 4sp auto in there with 3000 stall

I agree with Jason. Paddles on the steering wheel FTW

Good luck mate!!!!!!
Old 19-12-2006, 11:48 PM   #57
SB4
E-Series Member

I've heard this aswell a few days back. It's hard to describe, but it kind of sounds like the knocking sound of an oil pump hitting the sump (for those who have heard this would have an idea), only this is louder and much faster. When revs are up at 1500-2000ish the noise almost goes away though. Get it checked out first Steve before you do anything with the motor. As for converting it back to auto, i'd say don't do it either, but if you enjoy driving auto then don't think twice just do it ;)
Old 20-12-2006, 07:21 PM   #58
MADED-6
MADED.6

for the power he is running and he wants to run though an auto would end upo being the cheaper option as it will withstand more punishment. especiallu if he gets kevlar bands and everything. i wouldnt want to blow a box everytime u shift quick thats for sure.
cheers josh.
MADED-6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2006, 01:45 AM   #59
Rollin
Banned

EBPete is selling a rebuilt auto which you may be interested in? (could be the box Gubas is talking about)

Is the noise a repetitive knocking noise or an actual grinding? How long did the engine sit without running, and how long have you run it since it first started up after the build? I had a stuck lifter which for all the world sounded like a big end bearing had given up the ghost, so I replaced them all, couldn't find anything wrong with the ones I pulled out, and the noise was still there - I just ended up running it for a while and driving it and the noise went away after the lifter FINALLY bled up...

P.S.---

Quote:
caps lock MAKES IT LIKE THIS! seems like you've held shift down for the Start Of Every Word Like This!
If you type an entire post in capital letters then the forums automatically make anything after the first letter of each word lower case, hence his strange looking post...
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2006, 09:41 AM   #60
Gubas
- BOOYEH -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin
EBPete is selling a rebuilt auto which you may be interested in? (could be the box Gubas is talking about)
Nah, im talken about this one.

Click Linky