Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Old 19-10-2006, 04:07 PM   #31
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
but what is server load actually measured in?
Its measured in Hogsheads per Rod, measured at sea level by a blind man holding a duck(can be replaced with any other poultry but aquatic are far superior). This is the traditional measurement.

The new aged measurement is Steffo's per Kilometer. One steffo unit is equivalent to the amount of time it takes Steffo to read an entire copy of Motor magazine and post its contents on the forums, times by the speed of light squared.

I hope this clears everything up.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 06:00 PM   #32
BlackLS

What OS is the server running and is it shared or dedicated?

I also notice that were running v3.0.3. Would an upgrade to 3.6.2 help?
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 07:46 PM   #33
Donut King
Officially Unemployed!

upgrading to the latest version will likely have a positive affect on server loads, but should not make a difference to the database error which is ocurring.

Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 07:46 PM   #34
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
I have to say, its very very very rare that i have this problem... i maybe see this error once per month.
FWIW, it's the same for me. If it happens it's usually around 8-9pm.

I've come across it elsewhere (as a subscriber) and it's always been lack of bandwidth in peak times. As that has been ruled out, I have no idea as to what the problem might be.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 08:03 PM   #35
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

On the basis that doing something is better than doing nothing we will be upgrading the server RAM tonight between the hours of 0100 and 0500 so you can expect a short outage during that time for the work to be performed. Unfortunatley the ISP's definition of what constitutes a RAM upgrade and my definition when the server was built seem to be different.

Regards
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 08:17 PM   #36
WILDTRAKPX2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut King
upgrading to the latest version will likely have a positive affect on server loads, but should not make a difference to the database error which is ocurring.
I agree. Version 3.0.3 is a bit long in the tooth. VBulletin have just released version 3.6.2, so maybe updating the software will fix a few glitches. It doesn't cost anything, but it can be a mongrel to update.
WILDTRAKPX2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 08:22 PM   #37
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

really sounds like an indexing issue.
hopefully the upgrade solves it.
Orbit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 08:25 PM   #38
Donut King
Officially Unemployed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave XR8
I agree. Version 3.0.3 is a bit long in the tooth. VBulletin have just released version 3.6.2, so maybe updating the software will fix a few glitches. It doesn't cost anything, but it can be a mongrel to update.
Which is why it hasn't been updated here yet, as the CMS portal required a heap of work to get it to work properly in the first place.

I'm keen to get this forum upgraded as well, having been responsible for sites like Street Commodores and Street Fords in the past at a previous job I think I should be able to get it to work ok, just a matter of being able to sink some time into it

Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 08:57 PM   #39
Cam
Stroking it...

Ditch vBulletin and move to SMF....
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 08:59 PM   #40
Cam
Stroking it...

Sorry more info, my site was vBulletin and we decided to ditch the entire DB and move to SMF (Simple Machine Forum), the plus is alot of PHPBB stuff (skins, some addons etc) that will work on SMF and not on vBulletin. yes a clean database was hard to deal with, no members, no posts, but in the long run it was well worth it and i would've done the same thing if i had to do it again....
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 10:13 PM   #41
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

I have also made a number of changes to the db and Apache configs and we will see what happens at the usual time tonight.

Unfortunately I also managed to delete a file that was required and it has taken a little longer than planned to resolve the issue I created so apologies for the delay.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 19-10-2006, 10:20 PM   #42
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Its been down again about 5 minutes ago. Wouldnt refresh for a while either.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 10:21 PM   #43
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Are you trying to make an issue out of something that is not really that big?

Database error? There is no database error.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 10:27 PM   #44
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
Its been down again about 5 minutes ago. Wouldnt refresh for a while either.
See my post above.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 19-10-2006, 10:41 PM   #45
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
yep i get it on occasions too, sometimes i just do suming else and come on later, a couple of times i have gone to favourites menu to and old web page and it has let me in straight away, ?
There is something in what you have written that i think is close to the mark, as others have experienced, when i get the dreded page down if i go to my site and use the link it comes straight back in.

so id say some how the shortcut in favs gets jammed up, don't know enough about how it all works with this stuff but yes as above the fix works every time and will be close to finding out why it happens.

all in all just grab a coffee and a chill pill, FFAU is still there when you get back.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 11:13 PM   #46
Aeron
DJR Fan

As Peter Costello said the other day, "this is a problem, this is a problem. This is a problem I would like to have." :

Peter Costello - 12/10/06
EC 1:51.283
WP 1:10.190

Me Drifting on the Skid Pan **Video**
Aeron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2006, 05:26 PM   #47
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

I think it would be easier just removing the people who post crap and dont contribute to the forums...

but what would I know I am on Holidays.....
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2006, 08:39 PM   #48
Falcon Freak
Banned

Whatever you guys did on Friday night seems to have fixed the problem. This site has been running well these last two days and I haven't received any database error messages.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2006, 09:27 PM   #49
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
Whatever you guys did on Friday night seems to have fixed the problem. This site has been running well these last two days and I haven't received any database error messages.

FF
now is about the time i usually cant access AFF and it seems to be working fine so far.
bit of luck the problem is solved.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2006, 10:25 PM   #50
nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
now is about the time i usually cant access AFF and it seems to be working fine so far.
bit of luck the problem is solved.
Could it be someone might be causing this little hiccup????
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2006, 09:54 PM   #51
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Working perfectly for me.

Great job by the admin team
XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post