Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-07-2012, 09:59 AM   #31
Rodge
Banned

Default Re: THE GT335 competitor 300c SRT8 is going to be cheaper...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT 160
Don't forget that "World Class ZF"
Didn't but its not in the SRT8 YET
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #32
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll be going to have a look and a drive of an SRT8; I registered interest a while ago. I quite like the styling and the equipment list puts the FPV's to shame.

Downsides for me are the 5-speed gearbox (but maybe it doesn't need it?), reliability (intangible at the moment) as we don't know what Chrysler has done to get the price down (there are some horror stories on the Grand Cherokee SRT8 forums for example). I've had very little trouble with all of my Fords and to date cannot complain about dealer service so I am somewhat reluctant to change.

I've got a deposit down on a new Limited Edition GT (Panther) and even though it will lack the tech of the SRT8 (maybe less to go wrong!) it's probably the better long term buy but boy I think this Chrysler will shake up the locals!
GTP534 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2012, 11:30 AM   #33
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Are you suggesting the quality of a FPV is better than a new 300C?

The older one did get hammered a bit for the interior...not for what it had or what the layout is like but simply the plastics were/are to hard. That was the only real complaint from what I can tell and it is clear the new version has made a massive effort to correct this.

I personally would like the 1st gen styling with the 2nd gen powertrain and interior.

Styling is all to personal. I think its great because it is different...and does stick the finger up. Is it a GT competitor? Well depends on what you prioritize. Some people like HSV's balls out style, some like FPV's subdued styling...all to ambiguous.

Auto GT buyers will defend the GT buy saying that the 300 handles like poo, which unless someone has done a back to back test they cant really justify anyway.

It will give the locals a shake up I think, and thankgod, they have had it to easy for to long. IMO it will hopefully force the issue with "one ford" and get some more tech into our Falcons.

Im tipping there would be a % of GT/GTP/GTE buyers out there who dont track their car, dont even go hunting for a nice bit of road and dont even cae about their FPV drive day..they just want the king of the hill V8 sedan. This would appeal to them because the fact that the GT can pull 0.0001 more of a G on a skid pan means veyr little in the real world...more so in one that is forcing us to drive with Miss Daisy in the back.
Yes. I have yet to see an American built car of any brand be better than any current Australian built car.
Old 13-07-2012, 11:33 AM   #34
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP534
(there are some horror stories on the Grand Cherokee SRT8 forums for example). I've had very little trouble with all of my Fords and to date cannot complain about dealer service so I am somewhat reluctant to change.

I've got a deposit down on a new Limited Edition GT (Panther) and even though it will lack the tech of the SRT8 (maybe less to go wrong!) it's probably the better long term buy but boy I think this Chrysler will shake up the locals!
I couldn't trouble you for a link to those horror stories could I ?
I suspect I'm not the only one interested in how Amercian build and qulaity control standards are improving, if at all...
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2012, 11:38 AM   #35
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE
Cracks me up all you FPV owners slagging the 300 for it's looks, have you looked at your raccoon eyes recently.

Lots of people complain about FPV's looking underdone, lots complain that HSV's are over the top, opinions are like a-holes everyone has one.

Just because you don't like the looks of the 300 doesn't mean everyone does.
Of course we all have different opinions.. but this thread, as pathetic as it is, does compare the 300c against the FPV. So of course people are going to express their opinions. No, it does not mean that we all expect people to have to agree. But we can express the fact that it does look like a bucket of sh%*.
Old 13-07-2012, 11:45 AM   #36
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge
I couldn't trouble you for a link to those horror stories could I ?
I suspect I'm not the only one interested in how Amercian build and qulaity control standards are improving, if at all...
I think this should work, I'm not good at pasting links!

Reading some of these stories put me off the Grand Cherokee SRT8; in America they're about $60K and regarded as a "truck", here they're going to be about $95K. The 300 doesn't seem to be as bad but I remember reading one about water leaks around a sunroof because a drain wasn't done properly.

They seem to be the same as here in most ways, some dealers are proactive in resolving problems, others aren't.

http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/f...play.php?f=158

Jim
Old 13-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #37
gbrook

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE
Cracks me up all you FPV owners slagging the 300 for it's looks, have you looked at your raccoon eyes recently.

Lots of people complain about FPV's looking underdone, lots complain that HSV's are over the top, opinions are like a-holes everyone has one.

Just because you don't like the looks of the 300 doesn't mean everyone does.
I have never quite understood the seemingly popular dislike of the "racoon eyes" - I personally think they make the look of the GT etc. But each to his/her own I guess

Cheers
Garry
gbrook is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2012, 12:09 PM   #38
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

I personally think this thread should be in the pub section. General car talk. Or maybe the Chrysler forums, they desperately need a few more members over there.

Also I am sick to death of all the trolls hitting this section, that don't even own 5.0Litre FPV's, bagging the crap out of them at every opportunity. Maybe the admin need to make a section to satisfy them so those people that actually own and enjoy our rides can enjoy our time here.
Old 13-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #39
PHawk
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Deleted.
FG GT-P 315 6A
FG F6 310 6A
HSV Maloo LS3 6M
GT 335 6A
300 SRT8 Hemi 6.4
PX Ranger XLT
Commodore SS-V Redline LS3
2017 Triumph Speed Triple R
Triumph Street Triple RX
PHawk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2012, 12:19 PM   #40
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
I personally think this thread should be in the pub section. General car talk. Or maybe the Chrysler forums, they desperately need a few more members over there.
Also I am sick to death of all the trolls hitting this section, that don't even own 5.0Litre FPV's, bagging the crap out of them at every opportunity. Maybe the admin need to make a section to satisfy them so those people that actually own and enjoy our rides can enjoy our time here.
Maybe you need to grow a hide and cope with it! Or how about this, ignore it... If you say the SRT looks like crap, then others are fine to say your ride looks like crap. It is their opinion, and they are entitled to it.
Old 13-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #41
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
Maybe you need to grow a hide and cope with it! Or how about this, ignore it... If you say the SRT looks like crap, then others are fine to say your ride looks like crap. It is their opinion, and they are entitled to it.
Hey Mcnews you seem to miss my point. This is a FPV 5.0l section. I can cope with quite a lot champ, more than most. I can ignore it too, but I am loyal to my brand. I am not saying that people are not entitled to their opinion. What I am saying is there is a place for it and maybe to accommodate the trolls and the haters they can be set up elsewhere. Or yes I will ignore it. I will stop using these forums. That is an option too.
Old 13-07-2012, 12:30 PM   #42
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Maybe you are having a bad day, I didn't see any hate or trolling just somebody's perspective. Chill out and roll with the stuff before you turn into your avatar :-)
Old 13-07-2012, 12:34 PM   #43
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Maybe you are having a bad day, I didn't see any hate or trolling just somebody's perspective. Chill out and roll with the stuff before you turn into your avatar :-)
This is not isolated. Nor am I the first to bring it up. And I am quite relaxed. But as a regular user of the forums I am noticing that it is, in my opinion, degenerating into a key board warriors forum.

Cheers
Old 13-07-2012, 12:36 PM   #44
mcnews
Trev

The alternative, a banal blind cheerleading forum where people pump each other up how amazing the product is and not allowing mention of any fault, is much, much worse.
Old 13-07-2012, 02:11 PM   #45
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

The only negative post I can see in this thread aimed at FPV, is the one made by me where I've stated I'm anti FPV regarding the interior features offered? nb: However look at my comment regarding the engines

I see myself as a Ford/FPV supporter, but also hope I'm not so one eyed that I can't discuss competitor offering in comparison to what Ford/FPV offer, or areas we wish (would hope) that FPV were able (allowed) to put more effort in.

Given this thread is noting a competitor to the GT335 and I don't own one (I own a FPV FG F6), should be excluded from offering my opinion good or bad, right or wrong?

Anyway, where I'm coming from is where I believe some of Roger's thoughts are coming from. FPV, 6 and 8 alike, offer a incredible bit of kit, that ticks a lot of boxes for those that would like to, or do own them, but some of us would like to be able to tick a few more.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2012, 02:20 PM   #46
mcnews
Trev

You are right, and it is what very nearly kept me out of an FPV this time around. And part of the reason why I plumped for the E in the end, as it at least gets some of the nice little features (memory seats/mirrors, auto dip mirrors etc.) which 80k cars should have, but it' still not enough to keep them current and the E and P for that matter, should get heated seats etc. and the P should also get the memory set-ups etc. The GT is povvo pack interior, which is frankly unforgiveable in my book and devalues the model in my eyes. The E makes an attempt at bringing the interior upmarket, but the surfaces etc. need to get better to really bring it up to par.

If I am going to spend 35k to change over each time I want to feel like it is an update, a generational update, a latest tech update etc.

Last edited by mcnews; 13-07-2012 at 02:40 PM.
mcnews is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2012, 02:25 PM   #47
PHawk
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow I never thought of the GT being a "Povo pack", I love the interiors in leather, light years better than the HSV I had, maybe not the current model though.
FG GT-P 315 6A
FG F6 310 6A
HSV Maloo LS3 6M
GT 335 6A
300 SRT8 Hemi 6.4
PX Ranger XLT
Commodore SS-V Redline LS3
2017 Triumph Speed Triple R
Triumph Street Triple RX
PHawk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #48
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrook
I have never quite understood the seemingly popular dislike of the "racoon eyes" - I personally think they make the look of the GT etc. But each to his/her own I guess

Cheers
Garry
Personally I'm neither here nor there as far as the raccoon eyes go, I simply made mention of it to emphasize my point.

As for the SRT v FPV v HSV, well I'd never consider the HSV due to the badge alone but I would consider the SRT simply for the engine and all the stuff it has over the FPV.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2012, 02:29 PM   #49
mcnews
Trev

Sweet, and yep you have to option up the leather in the GT to get that look you like . You look at a GT on a lot in base trim, it is hardly an appealing prospect to 'me'.

There are of course many on here that will buy a GT variant over anything else no matter how good or bad it is in comparison to the opposition. They are a captured audience for FPV and they don't have to try to win their business.

Then there are those like me, that don't really care what badge a new car wears, as anything new to me is disposeable and easily replaceable, unlike something collectible and irreplaceable. I guess if FPV want to win more sales it is going to have to come from the likes of me, rather than the GT devotees that won't consider anything else.
Old 13-07-2012, 02:30 PM   #50
GT 160
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You are right, and it is what very nearly kept me out of an FPV this time around. And part of the reason why I plumped for the E in the end, as it at least gets some of the nice little features (memory seats/mirrors, auto dip mirrors etc.) which 80k cars should have, but it' still not enough to keep them current and the E and P for that matter, should get heated seats etc. and the P should also get the memory set-ups etc. The GT is povvo pack interior, which is frankly unforgiveable in my book and devalues the model in my eyes. The E makes a good attempt at bringing the interior upmarket, but the surfaces etc. need to get better to really bring it up to par.

If I am going to spend 35k to change over each time I want to feel like it is an update, a generational update, a latest tech update etc.

Well halleleujah !!!
GT 160 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2012, 02:37 PM   #51
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe we need to create a forum section only accessable to those who own an FPV 5.0 so they can comment solely onn all the good things and fluff eachothers egos.

Or some should just pull their heads in and realise this is a forum, for use of discussing topics and voicing peoples opions, their isn't another car specific section that doesn't receive some negative opinions, just learn to live with it. If someone doesn't see things the same way as you it doesn't mean they are wrong or should not be heard.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2012, 02:59 PM   #52
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the 300c is more of a threat to clubsport than GT

It is far closer to a HSV than an FPV

Which is why they can keep it
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2012, 03:08 PM   #53
Anchor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Getting a quote now for Mother... Since i can't sell her a GT-E. Lol.

I'll do anything to get her out of her Volvo C30 T5 R Design though...
67 SS Nova Coupe. Iron AES 398 LS. T56. 2x 72mm T-netics BB. TCI Pro Touring F&R Clip. Streetfighter Project. 1200hp
73 Z28 RS Camaro. 6.0 LS. Coilovers. 18x9 / 18x10.
Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2012, 04:05 PM   #54
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I really don't think there's been too much negativity in this thread. I had a drive of a Mondeo last week which had most of the tech the new 300's have. I'd like to see it in the Falcon/FPV's ranges. I don't think there's any question that the SRT8 wins the value for money equation. For some, all the extra fruit will seal the deal; for others the strength of the S/C 5.0 and ZF package over the perceived weakness of the SRT8's 5-speed will be enough to go FPV. But I really think FPV need to lift the equipment levels.
Old 13-07-2012, 05:10 PM   #55
riggamortus

They definitely need to up their game. When I was deciding between a senator and the E it became a tough choice. I ultimately decided on the E because of the power train but to say HSV had a compelling package is an understatement. They had all the bells and whistles and for me using this as a work car, those would have been appreciated. The audio is appalling, the dash looks like the cab I just took back from the airport, no sunroof??, No std gps??, etc etc.

Ultimately I chose the 5.0. On days like today when I decided I wanted to rock out and heard the **** my speakers were spewing it made me sick.

It needs wider tires so I've ordered custom wheels. There goes 2.5k + 2k for tires. It needs audio so there goes another 1500-2k. I'd like a sunroof so there's another 1k+. The list goes on... This should have been done from the factory.

We can do a little circle jerk all we want but I for one am glad SRT is putting this forward. It will cause FPV to up their game and it should have happened with the FG2. Thank god I didn't wait for that.
2010 GT-E #12, Edge
5.0 S/C
395rwkw
riggamortus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2012, 05:21 PM   #56
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

I like the 300 SRT and V8 Hemi Power has always carried a good reputation.
Link to an article (first drive).
http://autoflazh.com/2012-chrysler-3...8-first-drive/

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW

Last edited by SpoolMan; 13-07-2012 at 05:28 PM.
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2012, 05:50 PM   #57
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I like the 300c. I dobt I'd buy one over an FPV. On today value I'd stick to the FPV. gadgets wear of HP doesnt.

But I'd have one over a HSV any day. I actuallly can't imagine ever buying a HSV.
Old 13-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #58
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum

It's not just in here. The trolls are ruining the whole AFF with there negativity.
I'm not one for blind faith in the blue oval. ( although I'm very close, and do love my AU). But the absolute bagging of everything Ford & FPV gets tiresome. They need to get some manners and understand the that when they bag out a car they are also bagging the owner for making that choice..

The sad part is, this is happening just as it looks like Ford have turned the corner and the good times are here for a while.
Old 13-07-2012, 06:08 PM   #59
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks
gadgets wear off HP doesnt.
+1

thrills > frills
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2012, 06:22 PM   #60
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonkymofo
I think the 300c is more of a threat to clubsport than GT

It is far closer to a HSV than an FPV

Which is why they can keep it
Can you explain how it is a competitor to a holden and not a ford when all are in the same segment?

The srt may have more bells but it still has plenty of hp and more than enough or general street use. The fpv is not superior because its blown.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post