Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-10-2011, 03:05 PM   #31
fmc351
let it burn

Default Re: FG wagon - what would it have been?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Yes but bogans seldom buy new cars and that is all Ford make.
Not true anymore, there are plenty of cashed up bogans. In fact they just might buy more toys and less sensible purchases like houses etc.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 03:09 PM   #32
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
Why wouldn't you consider a Territory? I have bought a Territory for work duties and craps on all the wagons I have owned (last one being an AU) Serious question as I find access, size, towing capabilities seating, driving position, loadability etc etc way better than any wagon I have had ..... and especially for the price. Now there is a diesel on offer it starts to make more sense.

Don't know why the Terri is bi passed as a useful wagon alternative (or the Mondeo for that matter) especially if its for the C'dore wagon which IMO isn't a wagon at all, especially compared to what they were originally designed for. Might look good but is more of a sports hatch than a wagon which is useless as a true wagon.

Just find it funny that so many here poo poo the Terri as an alternative especially when I would hazard a guess, they have not owned one. Many that do buy it do think it is a way better alternative to a wagon. I don't see it as being in the 4WD class ...... that belongs to anything with a low range gear and lockable hubbs for starter. Not considering a Territory 'just because' is a bit naive .....

The alternative would have been ..... make an FG wagon and drop the Terri? If I was Ford I definitely wouldn't be doing that. If there was people buying enough of them in the first place (NEW!!!!!) ...... well they would still be around wouldn't they?
You have some valid points there but as part of my work (electrical) I require something that can fit through the many multistory car parks in the city (as in heightwise) we do maintenance on/use for parking. Some provide as little as 2m height max and if I had a terri with loaded roof racks it would mean it's a no go. Yes maybe a small thing and I would be part of an insignificant group but thats how it is. Besides I prefer the Falcon anyway, never been a fan of the larger Terri (I admit I have never owned one but have driven a few enough to gauge a feel). I'm also used to working on/owning Falcons so come maintenance/repair time I would prefer dealing with the Falcon. A few other things not worth mentioning but they make a difference to me personally. All small things but enough to swing me in favour of the Falcon any day
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 03:25 PM   #33
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

in my opinion, the downfall was the choice of auto only na or gas 6 cylnders. what about an xr6 turbo model or an xr8 then i would of bought one. and a 6 seater option like the au would of been good.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 03:28 PM   #34
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes but bogans seldom buy new cars and that is all Ford make.
zing.....................
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 05:02 PM   #35
Thornie
Off smelting

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVGT500
Got to say with what holden did with the sportwagon is sensational, you could even order a hsv wagon and for once a wagon actually looked nice......
Sportswagon is the one thing that would make me buy a holden over a ford.
Thornie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 05:07 PM   #36
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea90gl
And to Ford, after owning a wagon there is no way in hell I would upgrade to a territory, different type of vehicle for what I need in my opinion.
sounds like you need to take a territory for a test...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
And still be as comfortable as a sedan....
That's why i bought a Falcon ute, instead of a ranger type utility.
Old 16-10-2011, 05:08 PM   #37
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Maybe something like this:

Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 05:08 PM   #38
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaTTuS
Sportswagon is the one thing that would make me buy a holden over a ford.
yes.. it would.. a RWD sportish.. gruntish.. SWG.......
Old 16-10-2011, 05:09 PM   #39
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
sounds like you need to take a territory for a test...

That's why i bought a Falcon ute, instead of a ranger type utility.
You dont like kidney belts?

In saying that I am lead to believe the new ranger is much better for comfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
yes.. it would.. a RWD sportish.. gruntish.. SWG.......
And the best thing is AFAIK you can get them in a manual aswell! Its nigh on impossible to find a manual wagon that isnt some little euro hatch/wagon thing.
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 05:15 PM   #40
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal

And the best thing is AFAIK you can get them in a manual aswell! Its nigh on impossible to find a manual wagon that isnt some little euro hatch/wagon thing.
manual test drive is on my bucket list.. grunt my balls off.. wheres the dotted line...
Old 16-10-2011, 05:34 PM   #41
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

see the fat dude in the background.. arms folded....

thats my engine buiding bro.. he's got no allegience..

what is good.. is good.. just slapped some coin on one of them sport wagon thingys... manual of course....
Old 16-10-2011, 05:39 PM   #42
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and... just for the record.. a spin in my manual FPV had him all sold on the manual thing....
Old 16-10-2011, 05:49 PM   #43
Venomous1
5.0 means business

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB92
This is really good looking this against the Sportwagons would have been excellent. Missed opportunity.
Old 16-10-2011, 06:06 PM   #44
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous1
This is really good looking this against the Sportwagons would have been excellent. Missed opportunity.
bigtime......
Old 16-10-2011, 06:41 PM   #45
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Mondeo wagon is pretty good, but I prefer the look of the Mazda 6 wagon, looks much more sleek.

Who cares if its FWD, its a damn wagon, its not like you're going to attempt burnouts and going sideways with a 55" TV in the back are you? Also you wouldn't be able to load it up with enough weight to impact its ability to be able to move either, hell we towed a load of bricks on a 6X4 behind dad's Mazda 323 and apart from struggling to pick up speed, it eventually got to 100km/h and we didn't have any issues going up hills "because its a FWD", its not like it was pulling the front wheels off the ground. You just had to plan and drop back a gear or two and thats in a 70 odd KW petrol 4 cylinder and plan your braking well ahead.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 06:47 PM   #46
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Mondeo wagon is pretty good, but I prefer the look of the Mazda 6 wagon, looks much more sleek.

Who cares if its FWD, its a damn wagon, its not like you're going to attempt burnouts and going sideways with a 55" TV in the back are you? Also you wouldn't be able to load it up with enough weight to impact its ability to be able to move either, hell we towed a load of bricks on a 6X4 behind dad's Mazda 323 and apart from struggling to pick up speed, it eventually got to 100km/h and we didn't have any issues going up hills "because its a FWD", its not like it was pulling the front wheels off the ground. You just had to plan and drop back a gear or two and thats in a 70 odd KW petrol 4 cylinder and plan your braking well ahead.
i is very sorrys.. but a FWD wagon compared to a big cubed manual RWD wagon is the sad side of... sad..............
Old 16-10-2011, 06:51 PM   #47
AMGC63
Banned

Quote:
i is very sorrys.. but a FWD wagon compared to a big cubed manual RWD wagon is the sad side of... sad..............
As surprising as this might sound to you not everyone in the market for a wagon actually wants to go drag racing.... yes shocking i know..

So i suspect the demand for "big cubed manual RWD" wagons would be rather minuscule...

How many Maunal Estate Clubsports have HSV sold?
AMGC63 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 06:55 PM   #48
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMGC63
As surprising as this might sound to you not everyone in the market for a wagon actually wants to go drag racing.... yes shocking i know..

So i suspect the demand for "big cubed manual RWD" wagons would be rather minuscule...

How many Maunal Estate Clubsports have HSV sold?
sorrys.. when i go for a wee i stand up....

and it appears a lot of others like the sports wagon thing........
This user likes this post:
Old 16-10-2011, 07:01 PM   #49
kal666
Starter Motor

it would of been nice to see a xr6 turbo fg wagon, i work for ford an it was a little dissapointing not to see that any fg wagons would be built.
kal666 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 07:02 PM   #50
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

big cube + manual + wagon...

sad as it sounds.. but where do i sign......
Old 16-10-2011, 07:05 PM   #51
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:

You'll have to make your own or buy a Commodore.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 07:06 PM   #52
AMGC63
Banned

Quote:

Here you go HSV probably made about 20..

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/bncis/details.aspx?R=11351750&__Qpb=1&Cr=2&__Ns=pCar_Pri ceSort_Decimal|1||pCar_RankSort_Int32|1||pCar_Make _String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&keywords=wagon&__N= 1216 1246 1247 1252 1282 4294965530 4294964634 1562&SearchAction=N&silo=1011&seot=1&tsrc=allcarho me&__Nne=15&trecs=32&__sid=132C5BDD8E8A
AMGC63 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 07:09 PM   #53
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
You'll have to make your own or buy a Commodore.
yep.. just like my bro with his arms folded.. i'll do what i have to do...
Old 16-10-2011, 07:09 PM   #54
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

True.. The HSV wagon hasn't sold that well, but the SS/SSV has proved there is a market there between 40-55K for a Familiy Wagon Monday to Friday and a "Dads Toy" Weekender in one.

It all matters little in the end, Ford look set to not be making a XR8 let alone a wagon.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 07:17 PM   #55
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford build nothing that come close... NOTHING... i will go elsewhere....
Old 16-10-2011, 07:19 PM   #56
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Nowhere near as sad as a big cubed V8 wagon sitting on the showroom floor 2 years old discounted to well below cost and STILL not being sold.

Ford made V8 manual wagons and sold bugger all most were 6 cyl autos.
They dropped the manual and still sold bugger all most were 6 cyl autos.
They made a Territory and found that most private wagon buyers now bought that over wagon leaving wagon as a fleet vehicle.
They made a turbo Terry and it sold bugger all.
They made a FPV Terry and it sold bugger all.
They made a diesel Terry and it is selling well.

Nett result:

Ford have discovered that their wagon BUYERS (as opposed to dreamers) want a basic reasonably able vehicle that is capable of carrying 5-7 people and a bit of luggage in comfort and safety while returning a reasonable operating cost.

V8, performance, manual and bling have all been abject failures, PROVEN not suspected.

Yes Holden make a V8 wagon which sells well to Holden buyers. The fantasy some hold that Holden buyers are actually just frustrated Ford buyers who would come back from the dark side if Ford made the right vehicle ranks up with the tooth fairy, easter bunny and carbon tax.

The fastest HSV is slower than the slowest FPV so all HSV buyers must want to trade....gotta be true.

The last point here is that BA/BF wagons are available for peanuts. A BA/BF wagon is just a ute with glass tray welded on so all the BOSS bits from a XR8/Pursuit, 3 valve 5.4 bits and turbo 6 bits and manual gearboxes can all be fitted.

So where are all the V8/T6 manual/ZF custom wagons? Surely here on AFF where even the most outlandish conversions (s/c 4.6 alloy in AU for example) take place I have NEVER even heard of one being made.

FTG made a F6 wagon a while ago and showed it at the FPV day back in 2005 with the idea of possibly doing a run of them. They were well priced and looked pretty good but they had difficulty selling the first one let alone any more.

And really......all the V8/T6/XR wagon protagonists.....
What do you currently drive?
A Ford vehicle you bought new?
A wagon you bought new?
A car of any sort whatsoever you bought new?

Ford are not interested in the slightest in anything except new car sales so if you are not a new car buyer why would they even remotely care what you want them to build?

On the other hand if you ARE truly interested then buy a Holden and write to Ford complaining. If enough people actually buy V8 wagons and complain to Ford then maybe they will listen.....or maybe not.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 07:22 PM   #57
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Nowhere near as sad as a big cubed V8 wagon sitting on the showroom floor 2 years old discounted to well below cost and STILL not being sold.

Ford made V8 manual wagons and sold bugger all most were 6 cyl autos.
They dropped the manual and still sold bugger all most were 6 cyl autos.
They made a Territory and found that most private wagon buyers now bought that over wagon leaving wagon as a fleet vehicle.
They made a turbo Terry and it sold bugger all.
They made a FPV Terry and it sold bugger all.
They made a diesel Terry and it is selling well.

Nett result:

Ford have discovered that their wagon BUYERS (as opposed to dreamers) want a basic reasonably able vehicle that is capable of carrying 5-7 people and a bit of luggage in comfort and safety while returning a reasonable operating cost.

V8, performance, manual and bling have all been abject failures, PROVEN not suspected.

Yes Holden make a V8 wagon which sells well to Holden buyers. The fantasy some hold that Holden buyers are actually just frustrated Ford buyers who would come back from the dark side if Ford made the right vehicle ranks up with the tooth fairy, easter bunny and carbon tax.

The fastest HSV is slower than the slowest FPV so all HSV buyers must want to trade....gotta be true.

The last point here is that BA/BF wagons are available for peanuts. A BA/BF wagon is just a ute with glass tray welded on so all the BOSS bits from a XR8/Pursuit, 3 valve 5.4 bits and turbo 6 bits and manual gearboxes can all be fitted.

So where are all the V8/T6 manual/ZF custom wagons? Surely here on AFF where even the most outlandish conversions (s/c 4.6 alloy in AU for example) take place I have NEVER even heard of one being made.

FTG made a F6 wagon a while ago and showed it at the FPV day back in 2005 with the idea of possibly doing a run of them. They were well priced and looked pretty good but they had difficulty selling the first one let alone any more.

And really......all the V8/T6/XR wagon protagonists.....
What do you currently drive?
A Ford vehicle you bought new?
A wagon you bought new?
A car of any sort whatsoever you bought new?

Ford are not interested in the slightest in anything except new car sales so if you are not a new car buyer why would they even remotely care what you want them to build?

On the other hand if you ARE truly interested then buy a Holden and write to Ford complaining. If enough people actually buy V8 wagons and complain to Ford then maybe they will listen.....or maybe not.
email address.. who shall i whinge..???
Old 16-10-2011, 07:25 PM   #58
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I can't believe i'm saying this but I agree with you flappist. V8 wagons have not sold for Ford since the 70's.

They have tried to continue selling V8 wagons but no one bought them, let alone ones fitted with manual gearboxes. Releasing one now will not make one iota of difference to this. They are a WOFTAM to Ford. If you believe they will sell if Ford released one you are delusional.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 07:25 PM   #59
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Maybe something like this:

What was that? A prototype?

Quote:
No, No, thats real. VERY REAL once it passes!
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 07:28 PM   #60
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i really don`t see a problem with the leaf springs, i have ridden in a B series fleet spec wagon a few years ago and it rode well and handled quiet well for normal duties , i`d say it rode a little better than my XR6,
the only real criticism i could make was that it was a bit on the plain side inside and out, but to be expected,
it was the fleet special, no doubt ford oz could have made something special of it if the will was there,
and the same goes for the FG platform, a specced wagon would have been alright i reckon, i would like to have seen an F6E or F8E wagon with all the goodies, it all comes back to the bean counters though.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post