Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-12-2010, 12:40 PM   #31
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I'm pretty sure all the current vehicles that have this feature also have on on/off button for people who don't want to use it, so don't worry too much if you don't like it as you don't have to use it if you don't want to.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2010, 01:25 PM   #32
Veefore

All petrol powered golf buggies work the same way.
the days of cars using more fuel to start up than to idle are long gone. In heavily congested areas this kind of technology could save thousands of dollars worth of fuel a day and reduce emissions substantially.
As far as reliability, if the starter, battery etc. are chosen correctly for the application then there should really be no problem.

Personally I think it is a great idea.
Veefore is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2010, 01:43 PM   #33
Wardo

It sounds weird, but I'm sure the concerns of most people regarding batteries\starter motors\ wear and tear would have been sorted during the 1000's of km's in testing, and it's not really a new thing as hybrids have been doing it for years.

I know some only stop when you put the handbrake on (Mini I think), others have to be in nuetral with the clutch out, and have inbuilt delays to account for stop start traffic.

Anything that slows the relentless march of the hybrid is a good think in my eyes.
Old 29-12-2010, 06:53 PM   #34
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

I know I wouldnt want to be sitting in a traffic jam on a humid summer day in QLD without the A/C working
Old 29-12-2010, 07:41 PM   #35
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
You could make money selling starter motors.
never thought of that.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2010, 07:53 PM   #36
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardo
It sounds weird, but I'm sure the concerns of most people regarding batteries\starter motors\ wear and tear would have been sorted during the 1000's of km's in testing.
It's great to know someone here is using common sense.. Thank god.

Can you people REALLY imagine all these cars going out into the fray with such polarizing technology if every single conceivable failure or problem hadn't been tested?

Either that or you all need to go and get jobs with engineering arms of all these car companies in question..
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2010, 07:58 PM   #37
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

You're quite right danny, every time i've bought a car with first-generation technology it has been flawless for the life of it.

NOT
Old 29-12-2010, 08:00 PM   #38
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
It's great to know someone here is using common sense.. Thank god.

Can you people REALLY imagine all these cars going out into the fray with such polarizing technology if every single conceivable failure or problem hadn't been tested?

Either that or you all need to go and get jobs with engineering arms of all these car companies in question..
Ahhh yeah, but have you ever sampled Chinese Made Quality? Once parts and components start being sourced from there, we will have problems.

How often do we have recall threads. Theres currently one regarding a seat mounting. Hardly cutting edge technology, but failing none the less.

If it can make our lives simpler, it can also cause more problems.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2010, 11:35 PM   #39
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is the word "forefront" really applicable in the thread title.

Ford is defiantly not the first to use this technology that has been around for a "long" time.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 12:03 AM   #40
AlbertM
Cracked Pot

Wonder how much extra fuel you will burn to recover the battery capacity after an hour or so of stop start running. The poor alternator is going to have to work more.
Old 30-12-2010, 09:26 AM   #41
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just had a thought. It is going to be interesting to watch the doof doof brigade at lights.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 09:38 AM   #42
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

This is what stop/start is all about, look at the Euro test cycle below and see all of the
points where fuel shut off and engine off can save manufacturers heaps of economy:

On a positive note, Ford were originally saying EB I-4 would improve Falcon fuel economy by 20%
and if they add stop/start to this they may get another 5-10% on top again so if we consider
I-6 with ZF is roughly 9.9 l/100 km, EB I-4 may well come down to 7 l/100 km <- that's like a Focus!!!

Guess Holden won't have those fuel economy bragging rights any more.......
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 11:03 AM   #43
glavas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i_SiX
I know I wouldnt want to be sitting in a traffic jam on a humid summer day in QLD without the A/C working

man up!!!!! what did you do in the days of no air conditioning?
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 12:38 PM   #44
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm confused.. Are they saying Falcon EB willl have this when introduced or will get it at some stage??

The fact that the humble Falcon could have some of the worlds greatest & lastest tech under the bonnet, I think is a great step for Falcon.. EB engine with stop/ start.. Got to lose some of the "Dinosaur" tag?
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 12:42 PM   #45
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glavas
get heatstroke, spew all over ur interior, heatrash, get a migraine, faint at the wheel and cause an accident, coma, drive ur car into the ocean to cool urself down.

FG XR6: pacemaker sterline coated headers, Xr8 snorkel + modified CAI, 100cpsi ballistic cat, 20" rims, lower with shocks, custom catback exhaust, custom spacers, tune soon to come, 1/4mile soon to come.
kezzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 12:45 PM   #46
kezzer

Really in Australia I see this sort of technology a waste. It's nice to "brag" with ADR figures, but really, there's so many other things they can do to reduce fuel eco with having to turn the engine off.
FG XR6: pacemaker sterline coated headers, Xr8 snorkel + modified CAI, 100cpsi ballistic cat, 20" rims, lower with shocks, custom catback exhaust, custom spacers, tune soon to come, 1/4mile soon to come.
Old 30-12-2010, 12:56 PM   #47
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
You're quite right danny, every time i've bought a car with first-generation technology it has been flawless for the life of it.

NOT
So you have had issues with your "intech" SOHC have you, sorry mate, but an LPG AU ain't at the forefront of anything....

Yes, new technology can have teething problems, However Ben73 hit the nail on the head. It is NOT new technology at all. Audi, Mini, BMW, Toyota, Honda have been doing this for a long time and as far as I know, there ain't any major issues so far.

Ford will ensure than every conceivable problem or potential issue is covered before this thing goes into production. If there are any issues or recalls, it will be down to pure bad luck, or because of something unforeseen. It happens.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 01:43 PM   #48
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Slightly off topic, but how will this new Ecoboost engine affect insurance values because it just so happens to have a "turbo"? I have a very conservetive (falcon owning) uncle who asked me this question over christmas, saying he would not buy one because it has a turbo. I personally think this is a stupid way to look at (it will have less power than the I6), but if others, including big fleets, have this perception, could this affect potential sales?

Another thing to consider is the the P-Plate rules in Victoria banning turbo's ect. Could this sway family buyers with teens away as well? Maybe the government will give it special exemption?

Either way this engine will make a great edition to the Falcon range (with or without stop/start) and cant wait to see what models will have access to the "EcoBoost Option"
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 01:48 PM   #49
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzer
Really in Australia I see this sort of technology a waste. It's nice to "brag" with ADR figures, but really, there's so many other things they can do to reduce fuel eco with having to turn the engine off.
To make stop/start work properly in a hot climate like Australia, you'd need
to have electric drive on A/C like hybrid and perhaps a second battery.......
Old 30-12-2010, 01:51 PM   #50
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6
Slightly off topic, but how will this new Ecoboost engine affect insurance values because it just so happens to have a "turbo"? I have a very conservetive (falcon owning) uncle who asked me this question over christmas, saying he would not buy one because it has a turbo. I personally think this is a stupid way to look at (it will have less power than the I6), but if others, including big fleets, have this perception, could this affect potential sales?

Another thing to consider is the the P-Plate rules in Victoria banning turbo's ect. Could this sway family buyers with teens away as well? Maybe the government will give it special exemption?

Either way this engine will make a great edition to the Falcon range (with or without stop/start) and cant wait to see what models will have access to the "EcoBoost Option"
I think RTA and insurance companies are going to have to change their view on small capacity turbo engines,
it may come back to a power/weight ratio to resolve the conflict.

Whooo, ricer Falcon with a power up kit...550 hp scaring the bejeezus out of wonderboy's R8....
Old 30-12-2010, 02:08 PM   #51
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

I remember reading a while ago (early last year) a bunch of small turbo/supercharged engines in the VW (Golf) and Benz (C-Class) ranges received exemptions from the P-Plate rules because the respective companies kicked up a stink about how they were only family cars not performance cars and that they were loosing sales. Hope Ford are sorting this out prior to it going on sale.
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 02:09 PM   #52
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
To make stop/start work properly in a hot climate like Australia, you'd need
to have electric drive on A/C like hybrid and perhaps a second battery.......
yeah which is extra weight, extra servicing/replacement costs etc. Might as well buy a hybrid.

Don't see this as being feasible.
Old 30-12-2010, 02:25 PM   #53
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just another thing to go wrong 2 minutes after the new car warranty has expired. A lot of hassle for a very modest fuel saving, surely? How about just being a little lighter on the loud pedal and you'd save twice the amount of fuel.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 03:59 PM   #54
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzer
yeah which is extra weight, extra servicing/replacement costs etc. Might as well buy a hybrid.

Don't see this as being feasible.
Perhaps not now but with the coming of passive hybrids ...maybe
Old 30-12-2010, 04:25 PM   #55
MexicanBatman
Banned

The car I have driven that is fitted with this comes fro
Factory with a belt operated starter not a traditional starter. Also an upgraded battery and alternator also the function doesn't operate until the vehicle is well warmed up and driven for a while.... Also the engine does not crank to start it starts on half a revolution. That said I just turned it off
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 05:39 PM   #56
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicanBatman
The car I have driven that is fitted with this comes fro
Factory with a belt operated starter not a traditional starter. Also an upgraded battery and alternator also the function doesn't operate until the vehicle is well warmed up and driven for a while.... Also the engine does not crank to start it starts on half a revolution. That said I just turned it off
GM had a Belt-Alternator-Starter or BSA passive hybrid system a while ago which
relied on the the Alternator also being a starter motor to which a larger belt was fitted.

edit,
GM has upgraded BAS and now calls this system e-Assist, it will be available on Buick LaCrosse.

Bosch have a version of BAS that Ford is implementing on the Transit in Europe.

Last edited by jpd80; 30-12-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Old 30-12-2010, 07:19 PM   #57
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hows about using the money elsewhere to discourage people from using their cars in the environment stop start technology is designed for
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 07:28 PM   #58
20focus05
I wanna XR5

Once they are out there will be all these complaints of the car stalling at lights.
I work in a toyota dealership and it is endless with the Prius!!!!

Ex Ford owner and member of this great site for ages.

South Australia, where the RIGHT hand lane is the NEW LEFT lane??????!!! %&#@*
20focus05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 07:32 PM   #59
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo
Hows about using the money elsewhere to discourage people from using their cars in the environment stop start technology is designed for
Like knocking down all the parking stations?
Old 30-12-2010, 07:43 PM   #60
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by glavas
I didn't exist?

I don't like the idea of this stop and start thing, especially if you happen to get caught at a few sets of lights in the CBD or something, car stops, car starts, 30 seconds down the road, car stops, car starts, so on so forth, the battery is going to be taking a beating, the alternator won't be able to top it up fully by the time the next time it turns off.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post