Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-11-2015, 09:55 AM   #31
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: What car did you hate but now love ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
I've been looking on Ebay & the like for a AU Fairmont as a daily, but the more I see the Forte, I'm thinking K.I.S.S (no offense intended). I'm starting to this a Forte is the go (less to go wrong).
Nothing the matter with simple mate , less to go wrong, if it does , it's easy to fix and costs a quarter the price.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2015, 10:44 AM   #32
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Safe to say the AU will be winner in this thread, and a + 1 from me.

I remember saying; looks wise, the AU was like the Spartan deformed babies and needed to be punted off of a cliff. Bought an AUII XR8 ute, and its still a better driving car than my BFII F6 ute. I think even the AU seats are ugly, but they're so comfortable; however, I now appreciate the AU exterior. The T3 is one of my favourite falcon front ends. Also finding myself desiring an XE of late too which I would never previously considered.

Outside of falcon, I used to dislike JDM, now im liking supra's and considered a TME 6.5 Evo

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Last edited by raised by monkeys; 18-11-2015 at 10:50 AM.
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 18-11-2015, 10:52 AM   #33
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
Nothing the matter with simple mate , less to go wrong, if it does , it's easy to fix and costs a quarter the price.
Correct
Old 18-11-2015, 10:58 AM   #34
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

I hated BF2, FG and FGX when they launched with new looks, now I own a BF2 and don't mind FG. Still don't like FGX though.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2015, 11:08 AM   #35
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Rolls Royce Phantom. When it first came out I thought what a joke, horrid looking thing that resembled a truck. Then I saw it more often, in person and on TV. After the documentary about it I just fell for it, appreciated the design, the quality and the craftsmanship.

The other is the Cadillac CTS 2002 model. Hated it, looks clumsy, then they revised the design each update and now with the current shape I love it. Saw many when i was in the US and appreciated even the Escalade. I took a ride in a 2013 model (the ones supposed to come here) and it was one of the most comfortable cars I have sat in.
Old 18-11-2015, 11:09 AM   #36
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty321 View Post
Ford Fairlanes. Used to think they were way to big and kinda ugly. I still think they're excessively big and not the best looking cars, but I love em now

I've learnt now to never judge a book by its cover. May seem like a barge but the interior, handling and pulling power totally make up for it.
All this rings true for me but with WH Caprice.

Even picked up a Tungsten one as a daily, as you can now get them for about the price of their remaining rego.

As a youngster I loved the H series Statesmans (still do), but went off them from WB onwards.
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2015, 12:04 PM   #37
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Ford Fairlanes. Used to think they were way to big and kinda ugly. I still think they're excessively big and not the best looking cars, but I love em now

I've learnt now to never judge a book by its cover. May seem like a barge but the interior, handling and pulling power totally make up for it.
Which specific models are we hating here? I am a fan of all Fairlanes from 1957 through to the ZH. Anything after ZH did nothing to put a bulge in my trousers...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2015, 02:49 PM   #38
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
I've been looking on Ebay & the like for a AU Fairmont as a daily, but the more I see the Forte, I'm thinking K.I.S.S (no offense intended). I'm starting to this a Forte is the go (less to go wrong).
Totally.

I purposely pursued a Forte/Futura as I not only think there is less to go wrong, but the AU styling was at it purest in Forte guise.

I like clean simple design.
Old 18-11-2015, 03:04 PM   #39
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
Which specific models are we hating here? I am a fan of all Fairlanes from 1957 through to the ZH. Anything after ZH did nothing to put a bulge in my trousers...
The newer ones. Say 1990 and onwards. The ones with the sports tuned suspension with "Control Blade" are nice cars though, they have blind spots the size of Mexico, but they're good to drive

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2015, 10:50 PM   #40
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ssangyong Stavic, and now... well... nope, still require regular therapy.
Old 20-11-2015, 02:40 AM   #41
OZQUAD44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default What car did you hate but now love ?

The FJ cruiser. I thought it looked wrong, probably still looks wrong but it's grown on me, and wouldn't complain if I had one in the driveway.

I am an Australian ford fanatic, I've owned a heap of Falcons, in fact I've still got two home grown fords in my garage, a territory and a BF GT, so the following has to be put in some context. I have no doubt the au falcon is a good driver, but it's still pig ugly in my mind, looks like a bloated failed attempt at copying the similar styled merc of the day. Failed then still fails now. I could go on but I'll stop now. I'm glad some ford devotees have grown to love the AU, and I acknowledge the shape has not aged like just about every other car in its era, I just can't come to the party. Sorry boys

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
OZQUAD44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2015, 08:20 AM   #42
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When they 1st came out I was one of the loudest critics of the ugliness of the BT-50.
Never ever thought I would own one.
A few years later it is time for a new car and I want a Ranger.
Everyone has a budget to work to, and the Ford Dealer couldn't get near what I needed with the change over price with Trade in ect ect. They were not interested in doing a deal at all.
Out of desperation I went to Mazda where it was like tell us what you want to make this happen. I give them a cheeky offer and to my surprise they said yes with not haggling or counter offers to half the difference ect. So suddenly I own a BT-50

In standard guise yes they are still Ugly. But with an imported unique set of 18" Wheels and slightly over sized tyres on it to give it some attitude. The wheels need to be made bigger to match the out of proportion size of the head lights.
Love would still be a strong word but I don't mind it as much now.
At least it is a car with a cheesy smile that always seems always happy to see you.

Every part is also stamped as FoMoCo so it is the Ford you drive when you are not driving a Ford.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2015, 11:08 AM   #43
Thornie
Off smelting

wrx's no idea why I hated them, but if it weren't for my rose tinted glasses i'd be driving one now.
Old 20-11-2015, 11:22 AM   #44
Cheech
HELL YES

Chrysler Valiant - dad used to have one when I was a kid. They were known as the "wog chariot". It was a deep metallic blue with a white vinyl interior trim. Built like a tank and drove like one too. I hated being seen in the thing.

Fast forward 35 years and I'd love to have a restored one of these.

2019 Ssangyong Rexton fourby (the daily driver, tow pig & snowmobile)
Cheech is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2015, 12:22 PM   #45
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

SSV Redline 6 litre and the Holden 6 litre engines generally....woofy muddy sound.

Guy in the gym has one, got Walkinshaw exhaust- I thought beh- not that good. Took him for a drive in my FGX XR8 and he babbled about it being probably quicker than another gym guys AMG C63 he had been in- after that he decided to enhance his car.

Got 2.3 Litre eaton supercharger, cam, tune, 430 rear wheel kw, slight lump idle, he took me for a drive in it last night, loud, sounds so meaty, and thick and pulls haaard. Sounds more old school than Miami which has that higher pitched wailing, but sure sounds good in that old school muscle when worked well.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2015, 03:47 PM   #46
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioso View Post
Other way around for me.
Loved the Golf R prior to purchasing and now I loathe looking at it.
16 weeks later and VW still can't fix it, plagued with electrical issues that they can't fix!
Not only will I never touch another VW product, but I won't even hand over a cent to any of their service centres either.

Not a relevant post I know but I am currently taking any opportunity to inform people of their practices.
I know it is off topic but. Colleague of mine bought a Golf R, white. Paint is peeling off. They sent someone out from Germany to investigate. They are saying it was painted twice and the second coat is peeling away from the clear that covered the original coat. The only cure is to strip it to a bare shell and repaint it. The car is 12 months old. Not good is it? He is trying to get it replaced and he has a good chance as it has not been fixed in a reasonable time and it is classed as a major fault because it will take more than a week to rectify.

Back on topic, as much as I hate the AU my black AUII XR6 car was well loved.
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2015, 09:03 PM   #47
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZQUAD44 View Post
I have no doubt the au falcon is a good driver, but it's still pig ugly in my mind, looks like a bloated failed attempt at copying the similar styled merc of the day. Failed then still fails now. I could go on but I'll stop now. I'm glad some ford devotees have grown to love the AU, and I acknowledge the shape has not aged like just about every other car in its era, I just can't come to the party. Sorry boys

What model Merc would that be?
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2015, 02:32 AM   #48
OZQUAD44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...JGhGKHIJ7mAMzP

Old 21-11-2015, 02:51 AM   #49
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to hate the ford vans like the econoline but i really like the lines and there 14inch rims, think there pretty cool now.

Last edited by damo76; 21-11-2015 at 03:03 AM.
damo76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2015, 06:24 PM   #50
Vekgib

Quote:

Same but with LTD's now for me.
Seriously considering offloading my ute for a BF LTD

Stuff this,I'm going to play a few shots & see what happens.
Vekgib is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2015, 06:51 PM   #51
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
The Mercedes CLS came 6 years AFTER the AU Falcon was released so who copied who?

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2015, 07:07 PM   #52
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

When a young fella i had an XYGS...bloke up the road had a red GT coupe and for the life of me couldnt like the thing nor had any desire to own one....would almost sell my soul to own one these days,love em.
Old 21-11-2015, 07:25 PM   #53
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezza View Post
The Mercedes CLS came 6 years AFTER the AU Falcon was released so who copied who?
EXACTLY what is was alluding to.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2015, 10:19 PM   #54
WoodyAU

I had two VW Passats, a 75 and a 77. I bought the 77 because the 75 was dead in my yard and I figured I had all the spares I would ever need. They were absolute crap! The most unreliable things I've ever seen. Now ( 25 years later ) I see what the Euro Kids are doing with them and think I'd like another, on club rego.
WoodyAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2015, 10:59 PM   #55
Eric A
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

XH utes and panelvans, didnt' like the combination of lines from front to back but they're growing on me now.
Eric A is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2015, 09:31 AM   #56
OZQUAD44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
EXACTLY what is was alluding to.

Mmmm, your right fellas, seem to me then the folks at Mercedes managed to get away with it, unfortunately the guys at Ford didn't.

Old 22-11-2015, 09:48 AM   #57
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Mmmm, your right fellas, seem to me then the folks at Mercedes managed to get away with it, unfortunately the guys at Ford didn't.

Well 6 years is a long time to perfect a existing design, you cant say the Merc design is innovative now can you? Do you know who Peter Arcadapine is?

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2015, 10:44 AM   #58
OZQUAD44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default What car did you hate but now love ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Well 6 years is a long time to perfect a existing design, you cant say the Merc design is innovative now can you? Do you know who Peter Arcadapine is?

cheer's, Maka

Can't say I do. At a guess I would say he is the guy who penned the awful looking AU, who then got the sack (obviously) and then went on to perform his "magic" at Mercedes?

I'm not a Mercedes devotee, nor did I intend this to be an au bashing session. I'm glad that there are people out there who have warmed to the AU.

I've always known it's a pretty good car from a reliability and dynamics perspective, it's just I can't hack the looks of the thing. The headlights completely dominated any attempts by ford to address the wonky front styling, and the rear quarter view blesses the viewer with a bloated mid section, and the rear end droops down. I'm not saying it's a bad car, For me, visually it just does not work. Good luck to you guys that love it. More power to you.

Last edited by OZQUAD44; 22-11-2015 at 10:57 AM.
Old 22-11-2015, 10:58 AM   #59
Legit290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I really used to hate Holden Commodores.

Hang on. I still do
5 users like this post:
Old 22-11-2015, 11:00 AM   #60
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Can't say I do. At a guess I would say he is the guy who penned the awful looking AU, who then got the sack (obviously) and then went on to perform his "magic" at Mercedes?
Good to see you are getting some facts straight now.

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post