Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-03-2009, 02:41 PM   #31
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

How come every time somebody mentions the AU, everybody goes on about the controversial styling weather it has anything to do with the topic on hand or not.

Personally, I agree with you Prydey in most regards, but I think the current FG range is better with differentiation between the different models, as the Base models don't look too cheap and nasty as the AUI did in my opinion, where as the G6ET looks different enough to compete with the Euros worth probably 2 to 3 times as much. Where the FG falls down is the lack of LWB models but then again we all know the story there so that is neither here nor there.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:13 PM   #32
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang70
i can assume when you say 'the most difference through out the range ' you are talking recent years? because i would say the difference in the range of 70's falcons was far more dramatic.
Look at the XA range,you have a coupe in the mix. pretty massive difference in looks and trim and powerplant between a XA GT Coupe, an XA Falcon 500 wagon and a LTD of the same era.
And they got it right! The XA-C model was a radical departure from the box shaped late 60's. The 70's models had all of the right curves in the right places. The best looking Falcon IMHO straight out of the box is still the XB, base model to Fairmont, although I do appreciate this is a very subjective statement. I would even go as far as too say that if we didn't have so much of romance with the XY GT, then this range would have been far more appreciated now.

The AU was and still is, ugly, to most of us but I too can appreciate that it has its supporters as well. It is a very well engineered and built car no problem but to me, it is still ugly.

I have always thought that with focus groups and clay, why did no one point this out??? No one could tell me that everyone that was involved in the AU program liked it right up until it was released to the rest of us. Surely somebody could have said something along the way.

I can remember when people here on this very forum did not like the first bonnet bulge and they let Ford know, so they took it back and at Fords expense, retooled the bulge to the beautiful form it became. This even had the effect of delaying the XR 8 a little longer if I remember correctly, so they do listen.
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 03:26 PM   #33
IDT
Marko

Prydey you are 100% right. It is a pity you felt the need for a fire proof suit to tell the truth. It was a well thought out model and regardless of what anyone says I think they are good looking cars. Base model cars have crap looks regardless. As for the "T" cars, there looks still turn my head everytime. and remember the green eyed monster!
Old 02-03-2009, 03:30 PM   #34
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

One of my feelings is that the average buyer, with such a large choice of vehicles to choose from today, might expect a lot from a base / low model car these days, so it's getting harder for a manfacturer to make them appear quite differently from an exterior and interior point of view (if we disregard sport models).

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 04:39 PM   #35
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

The AU is the kind of car you don't think of as anything terribly special when you have it, but when you sell it, it'll be the kind of car you regret selling.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:07 PM   #36
Antwon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What i like about the AU's is that the LWB looks completely different to the SWB. If they again made the LWB look completely different on the B series, i think they would have sold ALOT more, because it looks too similar to the Fairmont Ghia so why spend the extra money on a little bit more room in the back and boot?
Antwon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 05:24 PM   #37
Torquen
Ginja Ninja

AU = Fail. but i can see your point about having larger differences between the models. Thought out idea, not thought out for style.
Torquen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 05:36 PM   #38
robertjp

how anyone with at ford let that forte grill out of the shop is beyond me. It reminds me of a balleen whale fishing for krill, oh and the the ser 1 brakes. Asides from styling they are a peach, but let's not forget the love affair the media had with the VT in it's V8 form which continues to this day.

p.s I own a series 1 AU Fairmont wagon, nice comfortable and reliable.

Robert.
robertjp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 07:17 PM   #39
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Bud

I have always thought that with focus groups and clay, why did no one point this out??? No one could tell me that everyone that was involved in the AU program liked it right up until it was released to the rest of us. Surely somebody could have said something along the way.

I can remember when people here on this very forum did not like the first bonnet bulge and they let Ford know, so they took it back and at Fords expense, retooled the bulge to the beautiful form it became. This even had the effect of delaying the XR 8 a little longer if I remember correctly, so they do listen.
The focus groups had an AU next to a VT Commodore which was released a year earlier than AU, and both were debadged. The focus group liked the VT 60% to AU 40%. When us workers were shown the AU everyone said it looks like crap, and they said to us don't worry, it will look different before its released. It wasn't. They knew people wouldn't like the looks but they continued with it anyway thinking people would flock to it cause it was radical. They failed big time on that point, but in hindsight they knew there was a fair chance it was going to happen.

When the same situation was used for BA and VX? the results went BA 55% Vs VX 45%.

The BA bonnet bulge was only changed due to the high percentage of scrap pressings due to the crease at the front of the bulge on the prototype parts, so it was removed and the bulge extended forward to remove the crease. It had nothing to do with the customer focus groups opinion. The BA XR8 was delayed due to development of the 4V engine running late, due to the hi po 3V engine they wanted to use for the XR8 and GT not being powerful enough, so a late call was made to use the 4V heads.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 07:28 PM   #40
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Agreed with prydey, good post. Ford put alot of thought into all aspects of
differentiating the models.

I've said this on many times over - The AU S2 has aged better than the VT-VZ and
BA-BF. A car novice wouldn't think it's older than the above mentioned cars, unless
he's looking at a tired AU ex taxi.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:42 PM   #41
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the new VE Commodore range has more cars in its range then the Falcon has or had, two SS models, to S models etc.

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 07:52 PM   #42
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Actually I was just thinking about this, and when you compare the AU range to it's contemporaries at Holden, the VT, the AU range is very diverse, while the VT range is very hard to differentiate, the Calais looks almost identical to the Executive, and the SS is almost the same as well. Then when they bought out the VX, the range was a lot more diverse. The question to ask now is, Did the AU range influence Holden to make these diversifications later on?
Old 02-03-2009, 08:09 PM   #43
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Holden was fairly cash strapped when they released the VT. When the success came in the form of sales and increased interest from GM they were able to spend up on the 'bling' for the VX etc the VU Ute followed, and then came the Monaro, One Tonner and Crewman the three jewels in Holden's crown in their early 21st century golden era. The 3 big projects Holden wowed us with have gone the way of the dodo.

The BA mirrored the VT range I think: not that much differentiation, but the bling soon followed with the BF Mks 1 and 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_190
Actually I was just thinking about this, and when you compare the AU range to it's contemporaries at Holden, the VT, the AU range is very diverse, while the VT range is very hard to differentiate, the Calais looks almost identical to the Executive, and the SS is almost the same as well. Then when they bought out the VX, the range was a lot more diverse. The question to ask now is, Did the AU range influence Holden to make these diversifications later on?
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 08:11 PM   #44
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

I dont think they would thanks to the lineup simplification weve seen from Holden and Ford since the VE came out. Certainly the AU lineup was thinned out with each series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1183
I think the new VE Commodore range has more cars in its range then the Falcon has or had, two SS models, to S models etc.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:19 PM   #45
MitchG

May seem like an odd question but does any one know why the T series AU's were not AU GT's?
MitchG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 08:24 PM   #46
Matt P
No Boundries

T series and AU III XR8 Rebel were the pick of the bunch.
Matt P is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 08:28 PM   #47
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchG
May seem like an odd question but does any one know why the T series AU's were not AU GT's?
I'll take a stab in the dark (and a stab at the AU's looks) and say that Tickford was a little bit scared after the response to the EL GT (sure they sold, but they were ugly - lets face it)...
And fearing that the same would follow if they called the T-Series a GT (after all, the S1 AU are about as good looking as Gweneth Paltrow in Shallow Hal (think.... you know its good under there.... somewhere.... i think???)...

But once they came with the BA (which is essentially an AU with front/rear styling...) they gave it a shot - and came up trumps....

On another note.... I bought an AU Ghia 5lt 6 months ago and couldn't be happier (except its not a hot looker)... Its got the leather, the power, the driving is great... and nobody wants to race me, or steal it....

Think of it like this.... You know you want to get stuck into Britney Spears/Paris Hilton.... but you wouldn't take them home to meet your mother....
You'd take the safer bet and take Jennifer Hawkins, or Nat Bassingthwaite home to meet the parents....

Thats what the AU is... the safe bet... I could have got a WILD EL XR8 for the same money... or an ED XR8 Sprint....
But I went the safe bet... and its a great car...
Old 02-03-2009, 08:28 PM   #48
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchG
Before FPV was formed the BA GT was also meant to have the T-series name. It was a last minute decision after FPV was formed to make the GT a standard non limited edition model with the BA, and a replacement for the T badge. iirc.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:44 PM   #49
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

And Tickford/Ford didnt bother with an AU 30th anniversary GT because they felt it would tarnish the badge (especially with BA around the corner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
Before FPV was formed the BA GT was also meant to have the T-series name. It was a last minute decision after FPV was formed to make the GT a standard non limited edition model with the BA, and a replacement for the T badge. iirc.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:46 PM   #50
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Interesting hearing a story/opinion from the other side of the fence, its very unfortuante Ford didnt listen to the public and inject a little more EF/VT into the AU, or at least give a little more machismo before release.

On a side note, to me the FG is basically the AU shape, 10 years later and fixed to suit the general public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
The focus groups had an AU next to a VT Commodore which was released a year earlier than AU, and both were debadged. The focus group liked the VT 60% to AU 40%. When us workers were shown the AU everyone said it looks like crap, and they said to us don't worry, it will look different before its released. It wasn't. They knew people wouldn't like the looks but they continued with it anyway thinking people would flock to it cause it was radical. They failed big time on that point, but in hindsight they knew there was a fair chance it was going to happen.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:50 PM   #51
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Re my Signature.

IMHO i think the AU has aged a hell of alot better then most of the cars of its generation ie VT-VZ BA-F. It is a love hate relationship i think. Most people that criticise the AU 90% of them have never drivin one in their lives. I to hated the AU but it came upgrade time for the old ED and i wanted an EL XR but found a nice AU XR so thought id have a drive and i loved it and now i have the TE and i love it. Its something different and thats what i like. If i wanted to fit in id buy a BA (nothing against B Series owners)

Long live the AU
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 09:06 PM   #52
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At least the AU was interesting. As an 8 year old boy in 1998, I thought every model was great and imaginative, even the Forte with its baleen grille, but especially the XR's. The rear light was crisp, and the aerodynamic shape was innovative.
I fail to see the resemblance to Taurus, except the lovely doorhandles.The Ghia interior still looks sumptuous and modern today, and it's(AU) the most reliable from what I hear.With the series 2 smiling wombat grille, and endearing diff whine noises, I think it is the quintessential Falcon.
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 09:36 PM   #53
bingoTE50
Steve

The Au shape was too modern for its time. I think the AU was good ,especially the XR's and T series .My TE was the best handling car I have driven yet , very well balanced.
I would have to say though, they seem to be like HQ Holdens in as much people either love em or hate them . ( I had a HQ Premier and liked it) :

I liked the AU dash quality better than my BF Gt , the black elephant testicle hide is not my cup of tea .My TE had the " T"on the door trims , and was a Fairmont Ghia dash with Carbon Fibre inserts rather than the Fairmonts timber . Looked good.
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 11:17 PM   #54
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't like the front lights on the XR series for AU, but I reckon it could grow on me I like the Fairlanes though, they look nice, stock wheels and lowered a tad and they go off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 11:31 PM   #55
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
On a side note, to me the FG is basically the AU shape, 10 years later and fixed to suit the general public.
Agreed.
I think it's pendulum swing stuff. Spot on for 1988 with the EA shape. Way too plain for 1994 with the EF shape. Way too harsh for the conservative aussie public with the AU. Slightly too plain and generic with the BA, pretty good with the FG. The FG to me looks like the BA with a balanced dose of AU flair. I mean, just look at the lights.

Compare my AUII to my brother's VT and his looks like a humpy, plain dinosaur against my angular, modern AUII.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:31 PM   #56
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

This thread turned out not as I expected.

It seems that over time, people have more and more come to appreciate just how good the AU is. It's reputation is only tainted by the perception that the car was a failure. In terms of big money spinner for Ford, I agree, but just because the public has a perception doesn't make it true!

Even with two I6 AUs in my driveway, which are awesome cars, in my heart I'd love a V8 Ghia, XR8, or T-Series. Lovely cars indeed.

Maybe next time I have to upgrade.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 11:41 PM   #57
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
This thread turned out not as I expected.

It seems that over time, people have more and more come to appreciate just how good the AU is. It's reputation is only tainted by the perception that the car was a failure. In terms of big money spinner for Ford, I agree, but just because the public has a perception doesn't make it true!

Even with two I6 AUs in my driveway, which are awesome cars, in my heart I'd love a V8 Ghia, XR8, or T-Series. Lovely cars indeed.

Maybe next time I have to upgrade.

GK
you know what you need to do...refinance and get one live now because you never get a second chance!

from what a friend of mine has told me(every chance he gets) the BA would never have happened if the AU hadn't happened...and in some ways i think hes right. i love the way falcons have turned out..is it because someone in ford took some initiative, said, "right, lets blow peoples minds", created the AU and then watched it morph into todays awesome G series? in my opinion, yes, its because ford took a punt, and it might not look like it had paid off back in 1998..but it certainly has now.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 11:59 PM   #58
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought an AU XR6 and despite hating it at the time its bullet proof reliability its really pretty paint job (shockwave) and its all round easy drivability has won me over dare I admit it my AU has won me over! it just WORKS get in turn the key and drive 700 kms to a tank of 91 octane on the highway! despite what was the opinion at the time of build it has been a workhorse it just keeps going and going and ................ It broke down once cause I neglected to swap the fuel filter and fried the pump apart from this and its age and dare I admit neglect it keeps on going and going well so glad I bought it today when I purchased it to be honest I was spewing I couldn't afford a BA (long story) but today damn I am glad I looked past my prejudice and bought it.

its a great car and I am drunk :p

own a BA too now couldn't bring myself to sell the AU - its just too <gasp> good!

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2009, 12:23 AM   #59
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
I bought an AU XR6 and despite hating it at the time its bullet proof reliability its really pretty paint job (shockwave) and its all round easy drivability has won me over dare I admit it my AU has won me over! it just WORKS get in turn the key and drive 700 kms to a tank of 91 octane on the highway! despite what was the opinion at the time of build it has been a workhorse it just keeps going and going and ................ It broke down once cause I neglected to swap the fuel filter and fried the pump apart from this and its age and dare I admit neglect it keeps on going and going well so glad I bought it today when I purchased it to be honest I was spewing I couldn't afford a BA (long story) but today damn I am glad I looked past my prejudice and bought it.
its a great car and I am drunk :p

own a BA too now couldn't bring myself to sell the AU - its just too <gasp> good!
punctuation.

id gladly trade my BA for an AU xr8 manual. but im too finnicky, id need it to have stuff all klms, black, leather, manual, no mods, etc. never find one. but someday ill buy my dream(affordable) car, and ill love it like i love my BA, torana, Hq and other peices of junk that really dont come close to it.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2009, 01:16 AM   #60
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81
Holden have been the masters of this.

VT was a VS on steroids.
VX had a change of lights (please correct me, as I am sure there were more changes than this, but I wouldn't know them...)
VY had a change in the rear and lights.
VZ got the Alloytec

VE is a VZ on steroids.

Holden have not really changed all that much over time either. The queues from the VZ are massive IMO.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post