Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 18-11-2012, 02:48 PM   #31
whitetdci

Default Re: diesel tuning boxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevetsg View Post
Hey WhiteTDCi,

I went to change my OIL today with my shiny new
Only to find it is a 27mm socket :-P
I had to double check this before I got back to you in case I had got my details wrong, but on my MA TDCi it is definitely a 26 mm single hex socket for the top of the oil filter. I had tried to get it off with a 27mm double hex but it was on far too tight and was only rounding off the edges. You can get it off with a 27 mm if it hasn't been done up by some apprentice who spends most of his spare time down the gym pumping iron and sucking up 'roids and has no idea of what a torque wrench is (which is what must have happened to mine. Even the Ford guys needed a gerry made strap thingo wrapped around the filter housing to get it off!)
whitetdci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #32
nevetsg

I struggled with the 26mm for a few min. But my extension bar was too short (borrowed from neighbour) and the socket only just jammed onto the nut. I ended up buying a nice single hex socket set from the local hardware store 1 block away (good excuse for new tools). This has a nice ratchet, a long extension bar and the 27mm. I had to cap off in no time.
The way that the cartridge filter is stuck to the cap caused some oily fingers. The entire change was one of the messiest I have done for a while. Good thing I had gloves on.
nevetsg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #33
whitetdci

Is yours an MA Nev?
Old 19-11-2012, 09:03 PM   #34
kayjay
Starter Motor

Msg to whitetdci. Thought that I had better let you know that I am receiving notification of your messages even though they are not intended for me. Regards kayjay. Must admit I have learned a bit that I will be able to put to good use with my wagon. Thanks
kayjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-11-2012, 11:25 AM   #35
whitetdci

Kayjay, Firstly, thank you. That is what it is all about here. Learning from one another. Secondly, I believe that if you have replied to a thread, which you have done on this one, then the system will send you an alert to say there has been an update. You can deselect these threads if you click on "user cp" at the top left hand side of this page. This will direct you to your profile. Select Edit options under settings and options. This will open a window with all of your options. There is area called messaging and notification. In that area there is an option called "Default Thread Subscription Mode". There is a drop down box there. Expand that by clicking on the down arrow and select "Do not subscribe". You then have to scroll to the bottom of the page and click on save changes. You will no longer get emails telling you of new posts. You may however need to unsubscribe to the ones you are already subscribed to. Hope this helps. (had no idea how to do this either so I had to have a look around to find the way. Knew it had to be there.)
Old 20-11-2012, 11:45 AM   #36
nevetsg

Hi, I have a 2008 MA TDCi.

I think this thread has gone off topic :-P
Old 20-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #37
whitetdci

Us, go off topic? Can't imagine that! I have started a thread on the oil filter nut size to see if there are different sizes
Old 07-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #38
XRT-HOWSEE
Blown FPV GS 315

So how are people finding their CR tuning boxes, as I'm pretty keen to get one for my MB Titanium. Also who did you buy the K&N filter through mate???

FPV GS 315 sedan
Black w/ Silver stripes
442rwkw
XRT-HOWSEE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #39
nevetsg

Highly recommend the tuning box for the performance increase alone. It also cuts the noticeable turbo lag by half.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:18 PM   #40
whitetdci

I got mine off fleabay same as my box. The filter does 9/10 of bugger all for power but is heaps cheaper in the long run than paper element filters. I always have a paper one to throw in when I am cleaning the K and N or when and if I go on really dusty roads. I guess my figures speak for themselves . I average 5.5 l per 100 k driving to work and back for my wife and self. I don't drive in any capital cities though and that would make a big difference
Old 09-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #41
XRT-HOWSEE
Blown FPV GS 315

do you remember which seller you bought them off?

FPV GS 315 sedan
Black w/ Silver stripes
442rwkw
XRT-HOWSEE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2012, 09:11 PM   #42
nevetsg

Hi, I got mine from this guy "djdafish". They claim your be first generation versions of these ones.
http://www.bluesparkautomotive.com/d...o-2.0-TDCi-DPF
For half the price they still do the job.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:51 AM   #43
whitetdci

I think I bought off the same guy. No problems 6 months down the track.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:06 PM   #44
mutanti
Turbo

good write up about the Chips.. I was considering for my 2012 Focus Titanium tdci but might just leave it as is..

Link
mutanti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2014, 12:07 PM   #45
mutanti
Turbo

good write up about the Chips.. I was considering for my 2012 Focus Titanium tdci but might just leave it as is..

Link
mutanti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2014, 02:38 PM   #46
whitetdci

Interesting read
Old 04-03-2015, 11:40 PM   #47
Binny

Sorry for the thread mine but I remember seeing this thread in here a while ago.

Do you still have your CR-TECH fitted whitetdci or nevetsg?
I fitted a mk1 to my MC mid last year. The difference was quite noticeable initially.
I got the impression over time that it tapered off but its hard to tell.
Then just before Christmas I took it off as we doing a long road trip and it would be due for a service as soon as we got back. The first thing I noticed was how much better the transmission worked, much more decisive.

Anyways I got around to putting the chip back in a month or so ago and the tranny is definitely not as good. I think it must use torque output data as one of its inputs to decide when to change gears. The extra torque is causing it to shift up sooner when you are just pootling around, like through all the damn speed chicanes in my estate. I go up a little hill as soon as I leave the driveway that has a tight 90deg bend at the top so I get up to 40 and then maintain that until I've gone around the bend. Without the chip it stays in second, with the chip it shifts to 3rd then shudders because it can't maintain the speed with the light throttle I have applied and kicks back down to 2nd.
It definitely goes better when you put the chip in it seems to leap forward with more gusto without much throttle needed. Again though it seemed to taper off again over the last few weeks. Sometimes I think its my imagination but I'm pretty sure I have to give it a bigger prod to accelerate at motorway speeds now, and sometimes it changes down to 5th when it didn't before. I wonder if the ECU adjusts to it over time "shrugs"

Did you guys ever get that feeling?
Old 05-03-2015, 08:43 AM   #48
whitetdci

I haven't noticed that myself however I did have the engine malfunction light come on after a three hour trip towing on a hot day. Noticed the blue led wasn't flashing so tapped the box and voila working again and no fault. If I was doing it now I would spend the extra and go for the super chips Blue fin upgrade. It is not a box but it is done by yourself using obd port and their plug in device.much safer and more accurate. I am sure this current one lies about fuel consumption. Cost$800 on my other diesel car and yes it is easily removed for warranty
Old 05-03-2015, 12:11 PM   #49
nevetsg

I had it in an MA (RIP) so it didn't have the Powershift gearbox. That Gearbox seemed to change up based more on RPM and not torque.
Since moving to the MC, Bluespark say that the box would need to be re-tuned for the different engine. I think it is BS but not sure if I should risk it and the $$ needed have put that on hold.
Interesting to hear that it changes the gear selection for you. I love that the Powershift putters around town at 1400RPM and will pull out of a roundabout using just 1K RPM. The Diesel torque is there to be used. For your situation, why not just put it into S mode around the estate? It will hold higher gears or you could go manual...

I am with Whitetdci. They futz with the trip computers presented fuel consumption.

RIP: Mondeo 2008 MA TDCi. Colorado Red, Leather, Bluetooth, sunroof, Tow pack. C.R. Tech tuning box
Old 05-03-2015, 01:07 PM   #50
Binny

Yeah that's exactly what I do nevetsg, I go manual until I am out of our estate and on the motorway I flick it back into D.
Don't get me wrong I also love the low down torque and use it to its full extent. When I am up it I usually short shift it in manual mode and ride the torque. My only issue is in the above sort of situation there is a decent gap between 2nd and 3rd and it changes to 3rd when Im barely on the throttle up a steep incline. Within 2 seconds it changes back down again, no throttle change on my part. Without the chip it never does that.
Totally agree about the presented fuel consumption. Ive seen the average trend down and back up again with the fitment and removal of the chip.
I can still get a genuine 1100km on a tank and the DTE seems accurate but the average consumption reads a bit lower than reality. I suspect that the CRtech just messes with the fuel rail pressure sensor causing it to deliver higher fuel pressure. Bluespark say it doesn't but that's what its plugged into ffs. So the car is injecting more fuel than it thinks it is. hence the better fuel economy figures on the trip computer.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:51 PM   #51
Mighty_Liam
Starter Motor

Just to clarify what has been hinted at in your posts whitetdci and nevetsg, the chip/box upgrade voids warranty and you remove the unit before putting the car in for service?
Mighty_Liam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2015, 09:33 PM   #52
nevetsg

Hello,
Lets just assume that if you DID need to make a warranty claim on the car and they knew about the box. How do you like your chances?
Personally I have never owned a car that is still under warranty and never taken one to a dealer to get serviced.

RIP: Mondeo 2008 MA TDCi. Colorado Red, Leather, Bluetooth, sunroof, Tow pack. C.R. Tech tuning box
Old 09-04-2015, 09:38 PM   #53
Binny

I took mine out before the last service. Better to be safe than sorry.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:05 PM   #54
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I have a TDCI Focus which has the same engine as your Mondeo but mine has been remapped through factory ECU, in my opinion its not worth using these chip things because usually all they do is fool the ECU into raising fuel rail pressure.

You are better off just changing the fuel maps in the ECU rather than using some box to tap into wiring and fool the ECU.

Mine has a few mods though but you should still pick up really good gains with the factory turbo.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 09-04-2015 at 10:17 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2015, 01:58 AM   #55
Executer

If you can afford it, go a bluFin superchips remap.I have this remap on my
2011 tdci 2.0 and it's fantastic. With the tune it's a much better drive. Intercooler is next for me then another tune

Last edited by Executer; 10-04-2015 at 02:04 AM.
Executer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2015, 02:08 PM   #56
Mighty_Liam
Starter Motor

Big Damo, do you have any tuners in Melbourne you can recommend for an ECU remap? I'm looking at the options for upping the performence of my new tdci...

Thanks.
Mighty_Liam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post