Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-03-2018, 02:17 PM   #31
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Default Re: That's a bit slack isn't it?

Killing with kindness has it's time and place I suppose.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-03-2018, 08:52 PM   #32
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
Sometimes being overly polite has more of an impression than an outburst. ;)
Unless your dealing with somebody completely irrational, I agree with you. Somebody told me once, the minute you raise your voice you've lost. My wife told me to say ''that wasn't very kind'' and drive off.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2018, 09:19 PM   #33
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

I normally fill up late at night so I don't have to deal with others. Carparks and servos seem to be difficult for people.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:25 PM   #34
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My local servo has about 8 pumps side by side and none in front of the other. I prefer that layout the most anyway. No one can block you.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2018, 10:18 PM   #35
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostercam View Post
Unless your dealing with somebody completely irrational, I agree with you. Somebody told me once, the minute you raise your voice you've lost. My wife told me to say ''that wasn't very kind'' and drive off.
In a lot of cases, she's right. One of my mates is a HWP cop, and when he gets to an accident (or a road rage incident) he says normally the most vocal person turns out to be the one at fault.

I was used as the example for company policy around the turn of the millennium. Travelling up a 2-lane (each way) road, with thick traffic, doing around 40km/h, a Tarago pulled out of the school driveway into a gap in the left lane, but came across too far into my lane. I slammed on the brakes (I had already anticipated the wide swing and was slowing) but she decided she wasn't just swinging wide - she wanted the spot where my car was now heading.

I ended up swerving to the right, finishing up in a spot where I was crossing the dividing line by about 2 feet with my front right. She was on about a 30 degree angle, and I was on about a 15 degree angle, and my LHF corner was millimetres off her side panels. The guy behind me barely stopped in time too. Now I couldn't reverse back. She couldn't go forward without the back of the van swinging around & taking out my front. So she starts abusing me, carrying on like an absolute turkey, with language that would shame a coal miner (with kids under 5 in the van too).

Instead of having a go, I just pointed at her and laughed - and I mean roared with laughter - slap the steering wheel type laughter. She was dumbstruck - had no idea what to say or do. Eventually the guy behind me got out, walked up to her door, and told her to reverse back then swing around clear of me, and then she could proceed. She had a big go at him to, so he looked at me, pointed to her, and did the cuckoo sign - we both cracked up laughing - egging each other on. Eventually she realised she wasn't getting anywhere, so she reversed back, I drove around her nose, and we all carried on.

About 1/2 hour after getting into work, the CEO called me in (a very rare occurrence - so I was looking for spare undies). He asked me what my driving skill level was like, and I answered pretty good, and my clean record (accidents & fines) should be enough to tell him that. He then said "so I believe you had a road rage this morning?" I quietly agreed. He asked what my strategy was to defuse a road rage. I was puzzled. I told him I simply laugh it off - it's not worth bothering about. Then he dropped the bomb "I was diagonally behind you in the left lane. I don't know how you didn't hit her. But I did like the fact you laughed at her, and defused the escalating tension."

And then an email went out to all company car drivers, with a "suggested addition to the fleet policy - methods for dealing with road rage."

I should have been pretty proud of that, and it was by pure chance he'd witnessed it, but I was actually more relieved, as I normally would have ripped into the other person in that situation - I just couldn't be bothered, and it created a turning point in my life.

Laughter - it can be the best medicine (for you) and taste bloody horrible for the one in the wrong who you're laughing at.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2018, 01:39 AM   #36
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good story & some tidy driving by the sounds of it. I spent a good 15 years working in hotels which taught me a lot about people & myself. I am sure you can imagine the sorts of situations you witness some nights, and often wind up having to deal with yourself. Using humour, even self depreciating, was always the best option and nine out of ten times, worked flawlessly.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2018, 09:41 PM   #37
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
In a lot of cases, she's right. One of my mates is a HWP cop, and when he gets to an accident (or a road rage incident) he says normally the most vocal person turns out to be the one at fault.
I believe that. I have been in a couple of road rage scenarios where I have had someone screaming and carrying on at me because I have beeped at them for something they did wrong. Almost hitting me while pulling some stupid move.
It's funny when you calmly make a good point that proves they are wrong and they know they can't argue against it so they just swear and throw a few pointless words around.

These people usually have ****box cars already covered in dents.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-03-2018, 12:50 AM   #38
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Instead of having a go, I just pointed at her and laughed
I reckon I would have lost my ****, so well done for remaining composed.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post