Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-03-2006, 11:38 AM   #31
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooky
Shannons are the go, cheaper premium, all mods listed were cheaper than just cars and I get one free windscreen replacement per year, choice of repairer and hire car.....
As Jeff and I have found. They are competetive on some but not all which goes for all insurers not just Shannons.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 11:43 AM   #32
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

Try Allied & General through their Budget Direct brand.

208.8 rwkw stock, update soon

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:
Sureflo Exhaust - Stainless Cat's & 3.5in single catback system

"Tell 'em the guy with the Blue Mohawk sent Ya"
Des is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 11:45 AM   #33
agony
BLOWN 383 CHEV OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
It's to do with age. If I was 40 or over my premiums would drop. I had a massive premium drop when I turned 30. I tested what the premiums were if I was 40. The drops considerable.
mate im only 31 too and my cars are one ( over the top modifications too many to list ) the other a blown hot rod ( modified severely ) and a ed falcon thats only parked in driveway also got a couple of speeding fines ( damm tunnel going to holden ford show - bad weekend ) and my policy fairly ( if not very ) cheap, cant see anyone else doing it for that price.
agony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 11:48 AM   #34
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only reason they're cheap is the kilometre restrictions you have on the modified cars. Shannon's are dear for the stockers due to k's traveled.

I met a person that Shannons wouldn't insure at all. Female, older than me who owns a CV8. Shannons is good for modified cars but not stockers

Old 15-03-2006, 11:51 AM   #35
agony
BLOWN 383 CHEV OWNER

Not sure on that one brenx but sounds like you might be screwed then, other choice is get some more modified cars and piiss the stockies off
Old 15-03-2006, 11:52 AM   #36
Mack 6
SUMP PLUG

I spoke to shannons on the Adelaide All Ford Day. The last two years I have gone from 533 on rating 3, to 618 on rating 2 and now I have just achieved rating 1 again, I'm on 490 ish.
When Shannons did the rough calculations on my car, it came up with 8-900, but they said that that wasn't right and guesstimate being able to do it for 500-550 (when I was a rating 2). This was also with an agreed value of 15,000 for an au2 which you'd me lucky to get as market value from anyone.
The best thing for me was that if the car is modified (which it is) that's all that matters. so it won't increase with all the modifications.

I'll be seriously considering them when they get back to me with a final figure and in the future with the Valiant as I can see people saying "You want to insure WHAT????"

Hunt around is the best option and be honest about the mods etc otherwise it mat come back and bite you later.
Mack 6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 11:54 AM   #37
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des
Try Allied & General through their Budget Direct brand.
Tried them. Their quotes are quite good. No pay by the month though : You can't have everything.

Old 15-03-2006, 11:56 AM   #38
agony
BLOWN 383 CHEV OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack 6
The best thing for me was that if the car is modified (which it is) that's all that matters. so it won't increase with all the modifications. Be honest about the mods etc otherwise it mat come back and bite you later.
VERY TRUE i have nearly 2 pages of modifications and they not care they just wanted photos of all kinds which is easy with digital camera, I banged off about 100 pics put on one cd and gave to them to keep on file and they were very happy.
Old 15-03-2006, 11:58 AM   #39
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by agony
VERY TRUE i have nearly 2 pages of modifications and they not care they just wanted photos of all kinds which is easy with digital camera, I banged off about 100 pics put on one cd and gave to them to keep on file and they were very happy.
That's what I did with the XB and Shannons. Makes it very simple. I'm the same around 2 pages of modifications. Some of which are recent. I'll have to update them soon enough. I'm going to wait till after the new extractors and exhaust are fitted.

[edit]btw is cheaper to insurer the XB for a total figure of more than the stockers. I'm very happy with the XB's policy. I'm going to change 1 thing on the policy when it's time for renewal as I want retention of the wreck if the s**t hits the fan.

Old 15-03-2006, 12:05 PM   #40
Mack 6
SUMP PLUG

Shannons also gave me the whole spiel about all their products. I am looking at being a home owner this year and they have good deals on home insurance, especially combined with car insurance.
I think thay should give me a bonus for talking up their stuff
Mack 6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 12:08 PM   #41
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm yet to find anyone that can compete with Suncorp insurance for House insurance. I pay Just under $600 a year with over 65k contents and a $300k+ home. Other places have quoted upto $1500pa!

Old 15-03-2006, 12:18 PM   #42
agony
BLOWN 383 CHEV OWNER

the guy i always deal with is off today so i will have a chat with him another day see what he has to say about your policy with 3 cars.
Old 15-03-2006, 01:19 PM   #43
BJ
Banned

Quote:
I'm going to change 1 thing on the policy when it's time for renewal as I want retention of the wreck if the s**t hits the fan.
You will already have that on your policy. They will not give you automatic retention of wreck because it is a modified car not a classic. I had that with Vigil because it was on Club Reg. Unless you do the same i doubt they will do it for you. As for the limited miles, be honest with your self how many k's do you really drive it. And don't tell me its you every day driver either.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 01:39 PM   #44
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ
You will already have that on your policy. They will not give you automatic retention of wreck because it is a modified car not a classic. I had that with Vigil because it was on Club Reg. Unless you do the same i doubt they will do it for you. As for the limited miles, be honest with your self how many k's do you really drive it. And don't tell me its you every day driver either.
John : First we're not discussing the XB. So get off the high horse.

Secondly : Just because you don't see me drive it don't assume I don't. It know gets minimal k's for 2 reasons 1) I can't afford to fuel it and 2) My mortgage and bills eat 98-99% of my wage. I have between $20-$100 left per fortnight. The XB costs $200pw to drive from Cranbourne -> Bentleigh.

Unless your going to discuss my two other cars your input is pointless.

I want retension of the wreck for obvious reasons. The policy $ wise wouldn't get me a car like I have with the same driveline. I know that for a fact.

Old 15-03-2006, 02:42 PM   #45
bwhinnen

I'm with Shannons for my WRX (extensive list of additions) and they were cheaper than any of the other insurance agencies (who wouldn't touch the car as it is with modifications). My Shannons price is also for unlimited K's. I'm 34 with Rating 1 etc. That is for agreed value too. They wanted around $2000 for the XR8 which was amazing and that included multi vehicle discounts. Funnily enough AAMI were the cheapest with an agreed value (less than $700 for private use and less than $900 for business use)!

It does pay to shop around. Not sure if RACQ will insure you down there but they are worth a try. As someone has mentioned it is worth ringing a broker and getting them to do the running around.

Cheers
Brett
bwhinnen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 03:12 PM   #46
alesia
Banned

shannons are picky about who they insure, for a start you have to be over the age of 25 i think,

i found that AAMI is good , price resonable and they are really efficient and everything when it comes to making a claim.
alesia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 12:18 AM   #47
nobbystang

thought i'd compare prices for our new purchase and just for fun typed in the old address in Victoria, $200 cheaper, WTF. love being able to do it online without speaking to somebody, but how can shifting interstate jack a policy from $480 - $680?????

Previous:
2011 SZ Territory Titanium
2008 Ford Edge AWD Limited
Silhouette BF XR6, ZF Auto
White EF GLi, XR look alike
VH Commodore
nobbystang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 12:27 AM   #48
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's a tad strange. GIO rang me today about insurance for my Mazda. They wanted $836 a year even after they'd already asked what I'm paying now. The operator still said "would you like me to start this policy". I just said to him no thanks I'll keep my $200 in my pocket.

Old 16-03-2006, 09:10 AM   #49
agony
BLOWN 383 CHEV OWNER

Hey brenx what about your rego? you also have 3 lots of $540 to pay this you cant change and really you dont get nothing for your money. :

Your XB is how modified and how often driven? _

Why dont you put this on club reg ( only $95 a year ) and then insurance on this will be considerable cheaper, limited kilometres doesnt sound like a problem from what you have said earlier. :
Old 16-03-2006, 10:11 AM   #50
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hey brenx what about your rego? you also have 3 lots of $540 to pay this you cant change and really you dont get nothing for your money. :

Your XB is how modified and how often driven? _

Why dont you put this on club reg ( only $95 a year ) and then insurance on this will be considerable cheaper, limited kilometres doesnt sound like a problem from what you have said earlier. :
I drive the XB roughly 2-4 times per fortnight. That depending on $ and what I'm doing to the car at the time. Not that it's anyone's business but I quite often pick my daughter up from school in it and drop into mates places. Just because I don't seem to attend event doesn't mean it doesn't get driven. How much has it been driven in the past 20mths. No burnout or anything like that. I'm now up for a new set of rear tyres. I can name people that run the same set of tyres for many years. Add it up tyre wear = driven ;)

Club reg is not suitable to my needs.

Old 16-03-2006, 10:16 AM   #51
agony
BLOWN 383 CHEV OWNER

well then if its a fairly standard xb which sounds like it is then why not try and put all 3 cars on a policy together and get a saving that way. Couple of young guys at work with ricers have used just cars and say they not to bad on price and conditions but there cars are pretty heavily modified so you would most likely find it cheaper.
Old 16-03-2006, 10:25 AM   #52
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
well then if its a fairly standard xb which sounds like it is then why not try and put all 3 cars on a policy together and get a saving that way. Couple of young guys at work with ricers have used just cars and say they not to bad on price and conditions but there cars are pretty heavily modified so you would most likely find it cheaper.
Excuse me!?!? What part of my posts don't you understand?

XB = insured with shannons. That's not being changed.
02 Astina = insured with Esanda. That's more than likely changing.
97 EL = insured with Esanda. That's not changing.

I'm not changing the XB from Shannon's. Forget about the XB as it's not relevant to this thread.

I asked about insurance for my stockers not my modified car.

[edit]I'll never have all my cars with the same insurer for many reasons:

- most won't insure the XB. Took me over 12mths to find an insurer for it.
- It's not cost effective. You can save more by moving to a different insurer.

I'm not loyal to one insurer. Never will be.

Old 16-03-2006, 10:40 AM   #53
agony
BLOWN 383 CHEV OWNER

Quote:
- most won't insure the XB. Took me over 12mths to find an insurer for it. WHY THERE IS PLENTY OF PEOPLE TO INSURE XB WITH
- It's not cost effective. You can save more by moving to a different insurer.
NOT SURE ABOUT THIS
I'm not loyal to one insurer. Never will be.
Well usually when you stay loyal you get discounts that are ongoing.

When my mate gets into work he will have a look but said ( quickly on mobile travelling to work ) that its easy to beat esanda on price and you would have a better policy and deal if you have all 3 cars with shannons.
Old 16-03-2006, 10:47 AM   #54
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't know how he can say that when Shannons have already quoted much much more than Esanda did.

[edit]This is very few the XB can be insurer with, for your information. It's got a 2 page or more long modification list. That's why most won't insure it.

Old 16-03-2006, 10:56 AM   #55
agony
BLOWN 383 CHEV OWNER

AHH well then i wont waste his time on this then, sounds like you should stick with esanda if they giving you best price. thats your choice in the end not anyone elses.
Old 16-03-2006, 10:59 AM   #56
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
AHH well then i wont waste his time on this then, sounds like you should stick with esanda if they giving you best price. thats your choice in the end not anyone elses.
I've already spoke with them which I told you in a PM. It's nice to drum up business for a mate but pointless when the persons not going to change due to the premium being higher than their prior/current or future insurer (AAMI).

Old 16-03-2006, 11:11 AM   #57
agony
BLOWN 383 CHEV OWNER

Quote:
It's nice to drum up business for a mate but pointless when the persons not going to change due to the premium being higher than their prior/current or future insurer (AAMI).
Not drumming up business for a mate as he will not benefit with what you do, you would be the only one who could benefit. If he was only doing it for that reason he would stick to hot rods only as they have got much much higher value and the premiums would be alot better for him. Not a policy with a couple of stockers on it and 1 modified car.
Old 16-03-2006, 04:14 PM   #58
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As it sits now I rang and spoke with Rob @ Shannons.

My XB and EL are with Shannon's. The Mazda will say with it's current insurer. I rang a few and for some odd reason there premium rose when some other idiot runs into your car (no fault of your own). That's bizarre. Why should my premium rise because some other idiot runs into me?

Shannons saved me $30pa on the EL. The XB now gets a small discount too. Shannons over the phone quoted $100 more than I'm currently paying for the mazda :

Old 17-03-2006, 09:37 AM   #59
agony
BLOWN 383 CHEV OWNER

Question Insured

OK so it seems like you have it all sorted out now Brenx

Well done, didnt end up all that bad considering to start with shannons didnt have a listing for your EL
Quote:
they don't have a listing for my EL. :
and you are even going to save money with them so thats a win.

As for the Mazda and your policy going up for a no fault claim there is just no answer for some things in this world

Happy shopping again in 12 months!