Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-01-2012, 02:08 PM   #31
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Mazda 3 Top Selling Car 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There are a squillion different model cars available in Australia with more and more appearing every year yet both Falcon and Commodore are ALWAYS in the top ten.

So an import topped the sales.......oh no.....

Bradman scored a duck.

Port Adelaide won the premiership.

Steven Bradbury won a gold medal.

Lets see what happens in 2012.......
Hulk ba buys an LS1? lol (jokes and kidding lol)

Hyundai are also much stronger than they use to be.. Cheap decent looking cars.. -If Hyundai can turn it around?!!!
Perhaps time to downsize to cortina sized car /drop weight..
HULK EF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #32
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK EF
Perhaps time to downsize to cortina sized car /drop weight..
they have a cortina size car! its called a focus! falcon doesn't have to be a one man show and this is the direction ford have taken for a couple of years now. why try to make falcon do everything. they now sell a wide range of products at increased numbers.

contrary to what you may read on AFF or the media, ford do actually know what they are doing.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 02:20 PM   #33
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss315
The article states that Commodore production to be cut and replaced with extra Cruzes. Thats a pretty clear indication of were Holden is pinning it's hopes. Let's face it they're in the same boat as Ford and still haven't committed to the next generation of Commodore.
Holden has to cut production, they can't go on producing Commodore at 6,000/mth and selling 3,500 - that doesn't make sense
nor does increasing production of 4,000/mth Cruze when you barely average selling 3,500/mth

The way i see it, Holden has to cut a shift, rebalance the line to make 200/day Commodore and 200/day Cruze.
^^^^ At that point, I'd say Holden's Elizabeth plant is well and truly underwater financially.

Ford is in a different position, they are on the rise with more pertinent products that make better sense locally,
selling most vehicles at +$35K and +$45K versus Holden increasing sub $30k builds...flaimin' underwater that is..
There is no difference in making/selling $25,000 Commodores versus making and selling $25,000 Cruze - both are equally insane...

Last edited by jpd80; 04-01-2012 at 02:26 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 02:26 PM   #34
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
they have a cortina size car! its called a focus! falcon doesn't have to be a one man show and this is the direction ford have taken for a couple of years now. why try to make falcon do everything. they now sell a wide range of products at increased numbers.

contrary to what you may read on AFF or the media, ford do actually know what they are doing.
Its hard to believe the quality of the local dealer near where I use to live, was part of a company that knew what it was doing. More like doing what it has always done.

The imported line up is very good, but the dealer network and Fords relationship with the market need a lot of work. Ford will never beat Mazda in private sales if they don't.

As for Falcon, unfortunately the clocks ticking. Ford have invested far more in FG then I would have ever expected them to, but without larger markets (yes overseas) there isn't the volume to justify it. A cross Mustang/Falcon platform seems the best chance for local production now. We'll have to wait and see.

Today Commodore started its ride down the same path setup by Falcon. It will take a few more years, but its the same ride. I'd give Commodore better chances of surviving though in some form as Holden have proven to be fighters when it comes to trying to find ways to keep their volumes up.

Interesting to note though that has Commodore slips out of number one, Holden marketing are reading from the same sheet as Ford "profit over volume" spin. Of course what else are they going to say. We can't afford to invest in an old car that more and more people don't want, so we'll milk this one for as long as we can and then junk it, unless plan X turns out to go ahead. Doesn't sound as good marketing wise, but far more likely the thinking behind both manufacturers and their large cars.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 02:28 PM   #35
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8
Today Commodore started its ride down the same path setup by Falcon. It will take a few more years, but its the same ride. Interesting to note that has Commodore slips out of number one, Holden marketing are reading from the same sheet as Ford "profit over volume" spin. Of course what else are they going to say. We can't afford to invest in an old car that more and more people don't want, so we'll milk this one for as long as we can and then junk it. Doesn't sound as good marketing wise, but far more likely the thinking behind both manufacturers and their large cars.
Commodore will go a lot quicker than you think, their whole profit plan is V8 centric, that does not pass muster these days...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 02:44 PM   #36
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Commodore will go a lot quicker than you think, their whole profit plan is V8 centric, that does not pass muster these days...
I beg to differ, families and buyers look at small cars and SUVs to fill the void once dominated by large sedans. No private buyer buys a $40,000 sedan for economy. They buy them for performance and luxury.

Look at the incredibly woeful EcoLPI sales so far. Aiming for Corolla and Cruze fleets is suicide. Aiming for profitable private buyers who go for performance, style and luxury will keep sales ticking over. Now more than ever the V8 is relevant, as its a saviour from the small car and SUV onslaught.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 02:48 PM   #37
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Thank god we won't have to hear that lame "Australia's favourite car" advertising line again.

Holden are now pinning their hopes on Cruze, which somehow managed to drop a tonne of sales the same time the Hatch was released, which I can't quite figure out. The way Holden were talking it was going to double sales overnight.

Seems like the rumours that Holden will be having down days next year is true.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 02:51 PM   #38
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen

Look at the incredibly woeful EcoLPI sales so far. Aiming for Corolla and Cruze fleets is suicide. Aiming for profitable private buyers who go for performance, style and luxury will keep sales ticking over. Now more than ever the V8 is relevant, as its a saviour from the small car and SUV onslaught.
Ford are not aiming for Corolla and Cruze fleet sales, they are aiming for the previous fleet sales the E Gas used to get.

EcoLPi builds have near doubled since MkII production started so things are improving. Original FG EcoLPi build numbers were always going to be limited.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:53 PM   #39
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
The strength of the Aussie dollar reduces the cost of imported parts making it cheaper to produce Falcon here..
That 30% change in US and European cross rates may have actually saved Falcon's bacon.....

Be positive people, if Ford had really intended killing the Falcon/Territory, they wouldn't be doing up dates
let alone new engines in Falcon and Territory, people are taking "One Ford" way too literally when
what was really meant was:
FoA using the scales of economy available through Ford Asia Pacific Africa supplier base,
That is where real savings are made, not with changing platforms..
Think the Governments Green Car Fun had more to do with getting the Diesel Territory and "ECO" Falcons over the line than Ford US's faith in the model itself.

As an example of "One Ford" in practice, when developing the New Focus designers wanted two front bars one for Europe, and the other for the US. Mulally told them to shove it, if Toyota manages with one, so can we!

Ford will have one large car globally; it will be called Falcon in Australia and Taurus in the US. Will it be RWD, or AWD/FWD? Where will it be designed? What body shapes will it be sold in? Where will it be manufactured? Those are the questions you should be asking yourself, anything else is wishful thinking.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #40
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

why is everyone going for the Holden over the Mazda. Ford still own part of mazda & theres probably just as many ford bits from the Focus in the Mazda 3 as there is Chev bits in the Commodore.
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #41
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How times have changed..

Still life in the old bird yet though I reckon. As long as Ford Aus keep making a profit and have the business plan to invest in the next Falcon I don't see why it wouldn't survive.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:08 PM   #42
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would imagine that the Detroit Motor Show is where we will learn the future for Falcon?
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 03:12 PM   #43
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
I beg to differ, families and buyers look at small cars and SUVs to fill the void once dominated by large sedans. No private buyer buys a $40,000 sedan for economy. They buy them for performance and luxury.

Interesting point on the V8s, its no wonder Holden sell so many at $42k drive away they're a steal. Meanwhile over at Ford you have fork out $55k + onroads for a GS that doesn't even have premium brake option (yes, I know I can buy an XR6T but even they're more expensive than an SS).
Old 04-01-2012, 04:03 PM   #44
whales
351 Cleveland:Pure Muscle

I heard from a reaonably reliable source that the 2013 Commodore will be tha last. New car will be FWD ands built in Thailand. Will be announced to the public soon. Senior staff at Holden have already been told
Old 04-01-2012, 04:10 PM   #45
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whales
I heard from a reaonably reliable source that the 2013 Commodore will be tha last. New car will be FWD ands built in Thailand. Will be announced to the public soon. Senior staff at Holden have already been told
Sorry read that wrong, that's my mail also (not sure about the timing though).

Last edited by R-Design; 04-01-2012 at 04:24 PM.
R-Design is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #46
JC807
sucksqueezebangblow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylancox
Ford... re-release the EF or something that looks like it? They must have done something right back in 1995
the holden equivalent in 1995 was simply a tarted up/modernised vc commodore?
Old 04-01-2012, 04:33 PM   #47
dylancox

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC807
the holden equivalent in 1995 was simply a tarted up/modernised vc commodore?
Well the EF was a tarted up modernised EA and that didn't hinder it at all. Did the buying public really dig that 'no nose' look of the EF? VR/VS was an evolution of the award winning VN.. i think?
dylancox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 04:37 PM   #48
BlueOvalPrint

Anyone know the 2011 totals of all Australian manufactured cars by maker - ie
Holden: Commodore sedan & wagon, utes, Cruze
Ford: Falcon sedan, utes, Territory
Toyota: Camry & Aurion?

Is Toyota a bigger manufacturer than Ford in Oz (including their export cars)?
BlueOvalPrint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 04:51 PM   #49
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss315

Ford will have one large car globally; it will be called Falcon in Australia and Taurus in the US. Will it be RWD, or AWD/FWD? Where will it be designed? What body shapes will it be sold in? Where will it be manufactured? Those are the questions you should be asking yourself, anything else is wishful thinking.
The mail i'm getting is the current and future Taurus platforms have been rejected for Falcon, so what you're saying isn't right either.

With the next Mustang using Falcon suspension its more likely the Falcon will continue with either the current platform re-done or shared in some way with 2014 Mustang.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:52 PM   #50
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Whayever they do, the commodore must be starting to become a big headache for Holden. 40,000 cars may still sound like a lot, but when you break it down into all its derivatives (wagon, sedan - omega, equipe, berlina, calais, ss, sv6, police packs, then engines etc etc), it must be becoming a logistical (and costly) exercise to maintain stocks of, or for particular variants. I would suspect that due to bulk purchasing and imported parts, some of the commodore parts would be up to a year old before they reached the dealer on a finished car. plus, without local commodore production, you can be sure there will not be any local cruze production.

Two reasons why cruze sales have dropped off lately is due to fleets (mainly government) filling their initial orders, and Holden not dropping cruze prices to match what the competitiors have been doing lately. And they all started around $21990 (which cruze has stayed at), but focus is now down to $19990, lancer is at $20990, Mazda 3 is at $21690, and cerato and I30 you can get for under $19000.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 04:54 PM   #51
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueOvalPrint
Anyone know the 2011 totals of all Australian manufactured cars by maker - ie
Holden: Commodore sedan & wagon, utes, Cruze
Ford: Falcon sedan, utes, Territory
Toyota: Camry & Aurion?

Is Toyota a bigger manufacturer than Ford in Oz (including their export cars)?
Figures haven't been released yet, should know later in the week.

Toyota have made more cars here for local sales and export than Ford have built here for a few years I think.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:54 PM   #52
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well the EF was a tarted up modernised EA and that didn't hinder it at all. Did the buying public really dig that 'no nose' look of the EF? VR/VS was an evolution of the award winning VN.. i think?
If you drive a VR and an EF back to back, it's not hard to see why the EF brutalised the VR in sales.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:06 PM   #53
dylancox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win
If you drive a VR and an EF back to back, it's not hard to see why the EF brutalised the VR in sales.
I've driven an FG and VE back to back and still don't see why FG doesn't brutalize VE in sales... How about AU vs VT.. AU drove a whole lot better. Not a fan of FG styling, especiallly in base model. The EF Gli handled like a boat , but style-wise EF Gli any day of the week .
dylancox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 05:08 PM   #54
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I've driven an FG and VE back to back and still don't see why FG doesn't brutalize VE in sales... Not a fan of FG styling, especiallly in base model. The EF Gli handled like a boat , but style-wise EF Gli any day of the week
FG is the better car.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 05:28 PM   #55
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The VF Commodore will be a significantly better car than the current VE offering. With 100 - 150 KG weight reduction, all new generation of V8 and possibly V6 turbo engines, and a bunch of latest interior gadgets it should be a good car.

However no matter how good the car is it will never reverse the overall large car market downward trend. Its simple, in today's world large cars are quickly becoming irrelevant due to a number of reasons, and while enthusiast can argue all they like, the reality is clearly demonstrated by sales numbers across the whole world.
dimka100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #56
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Chevy Impala??
Old 04-01-2012, 06:28 PM   #57
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
The mail i'm getting is the current and future Taurus platforms have been rejected for Falcon, so what you're saying isn't right either.

With the next Mustang using Falcon suspension its more likely the Falcon will continue with either the current platform re-done or shared in some way with 2014 Mustang.
Really, we'll I'll be. Will the Falcon Sedan/Hatch version be sold outside of the Australian market? Hopefully they're given the budget to do it properly.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:34 PM   #58
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What a sad day for all Australians... We no longer built Australias best selling car locally & that is truly a sad day for all!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 06:46 PM   #59
MelsGolf
Banned

Gee i came into read about the Mazda 3 and ill ive read is missery about the fate of Falcon and Commodore!!!

We looked at the Mazda 3 before the Golf, the Mazda is an excellent car, no wonder it sells well.
MelsGolf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 06:49 PM   #60
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Chevy Impala??
if true wont be comming from Thailand, korea maybe but not thai.
burnz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post