Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-06-2014, 12:27 PM   #4171
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

Default Re: 2014 Falcon Sneek Peak

LOL. So my original sketch back in February looks 100% accurate so far! HA HA

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...postcount=1801
Old 12-06-2014, 12:34 PM   #4172
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

The overall shape of the headlights in Nikked's attempt is closer, but rocket scientist has the upper grille and foglights nailed IMO.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2014, 02:04 PM   #4173
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

I like Nikkid's because it looks less like a cartoon character.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2014, 09:40 AM   #4174
stevefreestyle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensationFG8 View Post
LooLoo18 that's precisely why I dont think it (XR8) will get the full GT spec engine/driveline/suspension.

I dont think there would be enough money in it for them if they do.
Oh Really ???

Ford's born-again Falcon XR8 to get 335kW

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...257CF30027BDBA

10 June 2014 By RON HAMMERTON Go-Auto

Quote:
Ford 2014 Falcon XR8GT grunt: FPV's supercharged V8 will end its days under the bonnet of the born-again XR8 in the facelift Falcon range.

GT grunt: FPV's supercharged V8 will end its days under the bonnet of the born-again XR8 in the facelift Falcon range.

FPV GT supercharged engine to slot into new Falcon XR8 as Ford amps facelift

FORD'S born-again XR8 Falcon will get GT power when it is revived in the facelifted Falcon range in the fourth quarter of this year, Ford sources have told GoAuto.

While Ford Australia will not produce any more local Ford Performance Vehicles (FPV) GT Falcons after the current run of 550 GT F sedans and 120 GT F Pursuit utes is completed in about September, the 335kW version of the locally developed supercharged GT engine will live on in the new Ford-badged Falcon XR8, at least until the Aussie large car goes out of production in October 2016.

The new XR8 will be the most powerful under that nameplate in history, packing 45kW more power than the previous XR8 that was killed off in 2010 when its 5.4-litre naturally aspirated V8 could not meet Australia's Euro 4 emissions standards.

It will also be the first XR8 with forced induction, and will gain a number of other undisclosed go-fast features to be poached from the FPV range that dies with current FG Falcon in about September this year.

The XR8 is being brought back by popular demand, with a long list of Falcon buyers requesting one last fling. It will go on sale along with the standard six-cylinder Falcon range.

Ford Australia says it will not be tempted to transplant the most potent 351kW version of the engine from the GT F into the XR8, leaving the last-hurrah GT F to go down in history as the most powerful local Ford and thus a prized collector's item.

The GT F already is close to being a sell-out success, so Ford is confident the XR8 will find plenty of buyers.

The good news for Ford fans is that the XR8 will be more affordable than the $77,990 (plus on-road costs) GT F, at least in the lower of two XR8 specifications planned for the facelifted range.

As well, it will be available through all Ford dealers in Australia and New Zealand, instead of just FPV dealers, opening up sales opportunities previously closed for many dealers.

The engineering development work on the XR8 is basically wrapped up, along with the rest of the facelifted Falcon range and the related Territory SUV.

Ford engineers are now doing last-minute checks and durability testing on the new range that can be expected in showrooms about October or November.

The supercharged 'Miami' V8 engine that was developed for the FPV GT by Melbourne-based Prodrive in league with Ford Australia is based on Ford's American 5.0-litre all-aluminium quad-cam V8, codenamed Coyote.

Featuring a locally developed Harrop supercharger, the engine has been tweaked to produce a range of power outputs – from 315kW to 351kW – but can, in the latest GT F iteration, peak at more than 410kW for a limited burst in the right conditions.

Although engineers say the engine can be upgraded to Euro 5 emissions standards, Ford has no plans to bolt it into any of its cars beyond the demise of the local Falcon in 2016.

Ford 2014 Falcon XR8GT grunt: FPV's supercharged V8 will end its days under the bonnet of the born-again XR8 in the facelift Falcon range.
stevefreestyle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2014, 10:11 AM   #4175
fnm17

This will make my decision for the SZ Terry replacement at the end of year even harder !!! Saaweet !!
fnm17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-06-2014, 10:32 AM   #4176
fordwood

Two XR8 variants hmmm, hopefully one of them will be rightly named the XR8 Sprint!
fordwood is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-06-2014, 10:34 AM   #4177
stevefreestyle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With the 335 KW XR8 - Imagine how (even more) stupid SS Commondoor buyers will look now !!! (with their 6L 260/270 Kw - which Ford had with the smaller BA 5.4L XR8 from 2002 !)

I just hope Ford put decent brakes under it (at least 355/330mm (F/R) and decent performance alloy calipers), with Sharp Pricing... close to the XR6T / SS.
This user likes this post:
Old 13-06-2014, 10:37 AM   #4178
stevefreestyle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordwood View Post
Two XR8 variants hmmm, hopefully one of them will be rightly named the XR8 Sprint!
with a couple of XR8 variants, I think there would be a good chance of it (XR8 Sprint)
Old 13-06-2014, 11:01 AM   #4179
NanoDuke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

XR8 and XR8 Limited?
Or in keeping with their beloved "global" trend, perhaps an XR8 ST?

Sent from my HTC_PO582 using Tapatalk
NanoDuke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2014, 11:23 AM   #4180
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevefreestyle View Post
With the 335 KW XR8 - Imagine how (even more) stupid SS Commondoor buyers will look now !!! (with their 6L 260/270 Kw - which Ford had with the smaller BA 5.4L XR8 from 2002 !)

I just hope Ford put decent brakes under it (at least 355/330mm (F/R) and decent performance alloy calipers), with Sharp Pricing... close to the XR6T / SS.
To be fair Chev powered SS's were always quicker than XR8
fgpsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2014, 11:33 AM   #4181
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Should their be a "handling option" on the XR8 ... just for fun ?
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2014, 11:57 AM   #4182
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent guide for headlamp repair. 

Do you want barge handling, or a spritely fishing boat handling package
Headlights don't work in your B Series? Here's how to fix it!
martinijosh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2014, 12:09 PM   #4183
mattrobbo26

Chev powered SS's weren't quicker than XR8 that was just the journos consensus. Use to smoke SS's in my fg.
mattrobbo26 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2014, 12:27 PM   #4184
stevefreestyle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgpsi View Post
To be fair, that unfounded assumption is complete Rubbish. (and I know from 9 years experience)
Old 13-06-2014, 12:30 PM   #4185
stevefreestyle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinijosh View Post
Do you want barge handling, or a spritely fishing boat handling package
You don't seem to have ANY idea ! If you don't know the correct technique of driving a Ford V8 - stick to your FWD toy car.
3 users like this post:
Old 13-06-2014, 12:39 PM   #4186
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote Martini Josh "Do you want barge handling, or a spritely fishing boat handling package"

---

LOL, but the FPVs are not that bad as long as things are smooth, but yes throw in a bumpy corner entry and the front struggles. But getting on the gas past 4000rpm much can be forgiven about entry. But for some of us over-powered rear drivers are the go for jollies, we have an R56 Cooper S too, and it can be quite fun and also slides quite readily but the fun is just not the same as feeling a huge amount of power torturing rear tyres. And if you really want to go hard it comes down to the driver anyway, and I will give any bum dragger a good run for their money I assure you :-) Only one has managed to surprise me and that was a Cooper S up Cunningham pass with a driver that was having a go and knew what he was doing thus actually had the balls to push hard enough to use the spriteliness of it on entry but by 40 metres out of the corner I was ready to run him over. We gave each other a good thumbs up about 10km later when we pulled alongside each other on the highway, he must have been near 50 years old, but from the way he drove etc. I reckon he must have used that Cooper or something in tarmac hillclimbs or had some sort of motorsport experience. I think we both enjoyed our little fang, but I don't think he expected a Falcon to stick with him through that tight and tortous little strip of bitumen that is the climb up Cunningham Gap, coming from Strath Creek towards Broadford direction. Is tighter and steeper than most of Brisbane/GC/SC's fang roads. Funnily enough I did Kenilworth, Melany again earlier this week. Even those of us that also enjoy smaller, lighter sports cars, we generally choose the few RWD cars that also fit that bill, our RX8 was an absolutely awesome twisty tight road car to drive, just brilliant. My ideal is a 911 GT3 or Cayman S for example, I had a GT3 for a few days and my recommendation to anyone that likes to drive hard from time to time, do not drive a 911 of any sort or you will be ruined for life, I know I am and thus I have to have a recent model 911 at some stage in my future, nothing else will suffice.

Last edited by mcnews; 13-06-2014 at 12:52 PM.
mcnews is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2014, 12:41 PM   #4187
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG View Post
Should their be a "handling option" on the XR8 ... just for fun ?
For those of us without history in the Ford marque in Australia, I was inferring that an XR8 HO would be cool, but not very blasphemous.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2014, 12:56 PM   #4188
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevefreestyle View Post
You don't seem to have ANY idea ! If you don't know the correct technique of driving a Ford V8 - stick to your FWD toy car.
Don't feed the troll.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2014, 01:25 PM   #4189
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Up until FG. The 290 XR8 held its own in a straight line against the VE, although it still had the down low grunt deficit that the Boss had from day one so the LS cars were generally reviewed better. In one review (I think it was Drive) the FG XR8 recorded a quicker 0-100 time than the VE SS, yet they still criticised the XR8 for being slow. B series, I will agree they were slow. They advertised 260 but felt like 200, a modern day 195kw XR6T will keep a B series XR8 honest. So I was surprised at how much I enjoyed driving the FG XR8. Sure it wasn't as quick as the XR6T or as nimble as the SS, but in isolation they were still a nice thing to drive and I think the XR6T's outright pace blinded a lot of people into not even considering the XR8, then it got edged out by the 6L cars in most reviews and suddenly it's a bad car when it really wasn't.

I'm super excited about the possibility of a 335 XR8 Sprint. Hopefully they don't wait until 2016 to release it though.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2014, 01:39 PM   #4190
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Up until FG. The 290 XR8 held its own in a straight line against the VE, although it still had the down low grunt deficit that the Boss had from day one so the LS cars were generally reviewed better. In one review (I think it was Drive) the FG XR8 recorded a quicker 0-100 time than the VE SS, yet they still criticised the XR8 for being slow. B series, I will agree they were slow. They advertised 260 but felt like 200, a modern day 195kw XR6T will keep a B series XR8 honest. So I was surprised at how much I enjoyed driving the FG XR8. Sure it wasn't as quick as the XR6T or as nimble as the SS, but in isolation they were still a nice thing to drive and I think the XR6T's outright pace blinded a lot of people into not even considering the XR8, then it got edged out by the 6L cars in most reviews and suddenly it's a bad car when it really wasn't.

I'm super excited about the possibility of a 335 XR8 Sprint. Hopefully they don't wait until 2016 to release it though.
I still think the pov pack VE SS's were quicker than the FG xr8
Old 13-06-2014, 01:41 PM   #4191
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
I still think the pov pack VE SS's were quicker than the FG xr8
nope.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/30255/fo...final-verdict/

but back to the 2014 Falcon..
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2014, 01:45 PM   #4192
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
Don't feed the troll.
Troll should change his/her sig to "Too many girly hatchbacks".

Oh wait...

EDIT: Also @ Adrenaline - you must've driven some bad examples of previous XR8s then. My BA II XR8 with diff gears and exhaust dyno'd at 225rwkw feels almost as powerful (doesn't handle or stop as good though!) as a mate's FG F6 310. Definitely faster than my brother's VE SSV, having driven all three the BA represents good value (currently 50% cost of VE SSV, 25-30% cost of F6).

Last edited by Alan D Segal; 13-06-2014 at 01:51 PM.
Alan D Segal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2014, 01:52 PM   #4193
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

I think he was just referring to the stigma the XR8 copped as being front heavy.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2014, 01:56 PM   #4194
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
I think he was just referring to the stigma the XR8 copped as being front heavy.
Hells yeah it is. But at 3500+rpm it sounds unreal and puts you back in your seat nicely.
Old 13-06-2014, 02:00 PM   #4195
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unhappy Re: 2014 Falcon Sneek Peak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth View Post
nope.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/30255/fo...final-verdict/

but back to the 2014 Falcon..
Pre afm SS
Old 13-06-2014, 02:08 PM   #4196
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

They're not running 4 cylinders at WOT
Old 13-06-2014, 02:18 PM   #4197
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan D Segal View Post
Troll should change his/her sig to "Too many girly hatchbacks".

Oh wait...

EDIT: Also @ Adrenaline - you must've driven some bad examples of previous XR8s then. My BA II XR8 with diff gears and exhaust dyno'd at 225rwkw feels almost as powerful (doesn't handle or stop as good though!) as a mate's FG F6 310. Definitely faster than my brother's VE SSV, having driven all three the BA represents good value (currently 50% cost of VE SSV, 25-30% cost of F6).
Your mates FG F6 must not have its turbo working at all then. Seriously, an FG F6 still feels faster than GT335. So your mates car has some serious problems.
Old 13-06-2014, 02:28 PM   #4198
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BA XR8 with a couple of mods feeling as quick as an FG F6. Now I've heard it all !
3 users like this post:
Old 13-06-2014, 02:39 PM   #4199
HULK_I6T
Banned

Do you think ford australia would have a sense of humour.. how funny would it be at the new model launch to have the new model under a large cover. Then unveil the car to reveal an AU falcon?

then to a stunned crowd unveil the real new model.
HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 13-06-2014, 02:45 PM   #4200
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan D Segal View Post
My BA II XR8 with diff gears and exhaust dyno'd at 225rwkw feels almost as powerful as a mate's FG F6 310.
Could you say around 40rwkw less is 'almost as powerful'?

The sound of the Boss probably adds 20rwkw to the sensation of power I would say...

Previous rides:
R32 Skyline gtst - drift weapon
67 VC Val - Cruiser
A4 1.8t MTM 286 - Euro Evo
AU2 XR8 Ute - rumbly drift weapon.
BA2 Futura Wagon - boom box.
Suzuki Swift Sport - thrash me!
Ford Kuga 1.6T AWD - work car, hoping to replace it with a new weapon soon...
Grobbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post