Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: What is the verdict? .... Yes or No. Pick 1 of each.
EXTERIOR - YES 172 46.11%
EXTERIOR - NO 189 50.67%
INTERIOR - YES 273 73.19%
INTERIOR - NO 93 24.93%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 373. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-02-2013, 10:16 PM   #331
Superoo
Mondeo TDCi / BA XR6T

Default Re: VF Holden

Some nice improvements here, the largest being the interior/tech upgrades. The images certainly convey an effort to bring the interior up a few cogs in quality terms so will be good to see one in the flesh. The exterior has lost a lot of the original VE aggression but if exporting to the US was going to be a success, they had to consider how the design would translate to that market. The proportions carried over from VE are still a strong point compared to FG. Not totally convinced about the new front and rear ends. I like the lower half of the front end but for me, the headlight and grill design has a little too much height. The use of aluminium should improve both economy and handling considering the change in weight distribution. Sales figures are going to be interesting considering the retention of drivetrains. Guess we'll find out how much of the "lack of tech" in our locals has driven people away. Unfortunately I still think the general public concensus of SUV flexibility and the often misguided "gas guzzler" tag will be harder to shake. The 2014 falcon has a huge challenge. But so does VF really.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #332
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

I like it but i'm not wowed by it. The next Falcon i'm told WILL have that wow factor.

FU will blow it out of the water, technology or not.
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-02-2013, 10:24 PM   #333
minheim

The tech upgrades certainly are lifting the bar for a domestic product. It will be interesting to see what the price points for the range are on release. Depending on price it will certainly have potential to shake up the segment. Also if they can create a profitable niche and maintain exports, there might be a future for Commodore as a RWD vehicle beyond this upgrade.

This will certainly mean Ford and Toyota will need to compete harder; luckily for Ford they have some time to evaluate and meet the challenge with the 2014 falcon. Will be interesting to see what they were anticipating and have planned.
minheim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2013, 10:30 PM   #334
Espec

It does nothing for me exterior wise. rear end looks a camry. and i don't like the interior definitely wouldn't buy one
Espec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2013, 10:33 PM   #335
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superoo View Post
Some nice improvements here, the largest being the interior/tech upgrades. The images certainly convey an effort to bring the interior up a few cogs in quality terms so will be good to see one in the flesh. The exterior has lost a lot of the original VE aggression but if exporting to the US was going to be a success, they had to consider how the design would translate to that market. The proportions carried over from VE are still a strong point compared to FG. Not totally convinced about the new front and rear ends. I like the lower half of the front end but for me, the headlight and grill design has a little too much height. The use of aluminium should improve both economy and handling considering the change in weight distribution. Sales figures are going to be interesting considering the retention of drivetrains. Guess we'll find out how much of the "lack of tech" in our locals has driven people away. Unfortunately I still think the general public concensus of SUV flexibility and the often misguided "gas guzzler" tag will be harder to shake. The 2014 falcon has a huge challenge. But so does VF really.
I'm no sure how its lost its aggression. Keep in mind this is a Calais. The Calais has never been an aggressive looking car. I'm sure the SV6/SS and HSV variants will give it an edgier look.

I can't wait to see it in V8SC guise with the end plate wing design.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2013, 11:09 PM   #336
1TUFFUTE
Banned

EXTERIOR one thing that's a positive is it looks smaller on the exterior. Doesn't look to bad...but its the top of the line so it should look smick. Seeing the base model will be interesting. LOVE the wheels
INTERIOR Looks great...and seems to be a good step up in tech.....BUT SO IT SHOULD. And I see no reason in this day and age why the competition cant keep up with whats really a few simple additions (besides the obvious looks and quality of course). Really not a fan of the swede dash...or the cheap steering wheel buttons

OVERALL....very good but certainly not a hard benchmark for the competition. Could and probably will be make or break with the drivetrains.
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2013, 11:10 PM   #337
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What size wheels are these? They look really big for a Calais.

Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2013, 11:12 PM   #338
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I'm no sure how its lost its aggression. Keep in mind this is a Calais. The Calais has never been an aggressive looking car. I'm sure the SV6/SS and HSV variants will give it an edgier look.

I can't wait to see it in V8SC guise with the end plate wing design.
Absolutely. If a Calais looks too agro it will let the SS range look like a fizzer & the owners & prospective buyers complain that it looks too much like the rest of them. Ala B series FPV owners back in the day.

Either way though its looks like a cruze. May be softening style to ease us into the future "commodrore".
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2013, 11:16 PM   #339
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman View Post
Already been mentioned that there is a fair amount of flack over the new design on various Holden forums.
I just had a look on LS1 and I would have said it was getting an overwhelming thumbs up. Any luke warm reaction has been over the rear styling.

I didn't like the exterior much when I first saw it but I feel it looks much better in the red and darker colours. The interior looks excellent in the dark trim.

Don't know if it has been posted, but more pics here...
http://theage.drive.com.au/photogall...210-2e64k.html

Has anyone noticed the old school door locks on the doors?

Last edited by naddis01; 10-02-2013 at 11:25 PM.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2013, 11:19 PM   #340
Mighty Reds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The pic above is the first one I have seen that doesn't look like a massaged VE, it actually looks like a new body shape.
Mighty Reds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2013, 11:27 PM   #341
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
I just had a look on LS1 and I would have said it was getting an overwhelming thumbs up. Any luke warm reaction has been over the rear end.
I didn't really like the rear end at first, but its growing on me. It makes the VE look old.

Last edited by Brazen; 10-02-2013 at 11:34 PM.
5 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2013, 11:30 PM   #342
stazza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorbreath310 View Post
Commodore has died imo. Just doesn't look like a 'Holden Commodore' anymore.
Huh? What do you mean it doesnt look like a commodore? It looks ****, like commodores have always looked, same-same.

The side-on picture someone posted looks HORRIBLE. VE doors and different front and rear end that just dont fit. No congruence with the styling. Crap.
2011 SILHOUETTE FPV GS 315 #0275
20x10", 20x8.5" Lenso D1R's
Pedders XA Coilovers
Brembo 4/1
Pacemaker 1" 7/8 Headers
Twin 3" Stainless Manta Catback
XFT Built Motor
XFT Custom Surge Tank
XFT Stage 3 ZF
Final Drive Chromoly Tailshaft
KPM Twin Air Filter
KPM Stage 2 Intercooler
KPM Twin Throttle Body
2.6L Kenne Bell on E85
BlueStreak Circle D Converter
900+ rwhp thanks to Xtreme Ford Tuning
stazza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2013, 11:30 PM   #343
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
I didn't really like the rear end at first, but its growin in me. It's makes the VE look old.

Yes it looks much better in the red. The reveal colour seems to cater for the pipe and slippers crowd.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:34 PM   #344
fordnuttz

G6E Turbo rims standard on Calais???
Old 10-02-2013, 11:36 PM   #345
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What size wheels are these? They look really big for a Calais.

They look like 20s to me.

EDIT: That above pic really illustrates how dated and bland the VE looks. I wasn't sure on the rear tail lights, but compared to the VE they look 150% better.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2013, 11:37 PM   #346
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

The red one is a v8 it has the lip spoiler! Very nice, I like the VF a lot.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2013, 11:38 PM   #347
CSV_LS1
I used to have a nice car

Going by the SS in the background the SS-V will continue with clear taillights.

And notice the SS dash also.

CSV_LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2013, 11:39 PM   #348
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
I would agree... Over kill if you ask me, especially on Qld roads lol.

Love the SS badge on the dash, takes me back to the days of my dads VS SS!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-02-2013, 11:46 PM   #349
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
I didn't really like the rear end at first, but its growing on me. It makes the VE look old.

To me it makes the Holden less distinctive, and more like many other newer cars that I see on the road.

I must admit that many cars these days I see on the road, I cannot easily identify because of the similar rear ends. This will be another.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2013, 11:46 PM   #350
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
The Calais has never been an aggressive looking car.
I'd say the VL Calais was an aggressive looking car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazza View Post
The side-on picture someone posted looks HORRIBLE. VE doors and different front and rear end that just dont fit.
I recall people said the same thing about the BA.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2013, 11:56 PM   #351
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Yeah looks it, they are massive wheels. If this is standard (which i doubt) this is going to have some serious presence.

Old 11-02-2013, 12:03 AM   #352
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just noticed on the Holden site they have an edited video of todays reveal and they have added a fake applause track to the moment the VF is revealed. If you saw the live feed its apparent, especially when Mike speaks at the podium and the applause conveniently just mutes for him in a very unrealistic way. Sounds like they got another audio grab from a camera at the event, boosted it and layered it over the original sound track of what actually was going on. Apparently the audience wasn't suitably enthused enough!

They have also reframed the shot of the front rows in the audience when the car was revealed so you can't see as many of the audience and there reaction and if they are clapping and used a filter to make them more in profile. Now you cant see their arms or the fact the level of applause isn't coming from them. They have also muted Mike so you can't hear he was basically clapping on his own with just some polite and all too short applause and I think one or two whistles form the Holden guys in the crowd. I remember thinking it wasn't a great welcome from the crowd for such an important car to them. they have also added more fake applause that mutes all too suddenly when the designer is introduced (Andrew).

http://www.holden.com.au/pages/new-commodore

Some of the applause was in the video streamed, but it has definitely been "Holden enhanced to go better". Holden definitely know marketing. ;)
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2013, 12:10 AM   #353
T4ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

88 members viewing a Holden thread on a Ford forum...still doesn't wow me as much as the new VF.

Looks to have some BMW/Mazda rear styling which I have always liked.
Built BTR 4k TCE stall
FG inlet and exhaust manifolds
T4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2013, 12:15 AM   #354
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8 View Post
Just noticed on the Holden site they have an edited video of todays reveal and they have added a fake applause track to the moment the VF is revealed. If you saw the live feed its apparent, especially when Mike speaks at the podium and the applause conveniently just mutes for him in a very unrealistic way. Sounds like they got another audio grab from a camera at the event, boosted it and layered it over the original sound track of what actually was going on. Apparently the audience wasn't suitably enthused enough!

They have also reframed the shot of the front rows in the audience when the car was revealed so you can't see as many of the audience and there reaction and if they are clapping and used a filter to make them more in profile. Now you cant see their arms or the fact the level of applause isn't coming from them. They have also muted Mike so you can't hear he was basically clapping on his own with just some polite and all too short applause and I think one or two whistles form the Holden guys in the crowd. I remember thinking it wasn't a great welcome from the crowd for such an important car to them. they have also added more fake applause that mutes all too suddenly when the designer is introduced (Andrew).

http://www.holden.com.au/pages/new-commodore

Some of the applause was in the video streamed, but it has definitely been "Holden enhanced to go better". Holden definitely know marketing. ;)
Over on LS1, they were saying the live stream started a little early and it had Mike in casual clothes saying that they should applaud and that the crowd should be encouraged to applaud as well.

Poll needs a 'not sold on exterior yet' option.

Last edited by naddis01; 11-02-2013 at 12:21 AM.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:17 AM   #355
Foylema
BOOST

True?

Old 11-02-2013, 12:18 AM   #356
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would say the 20" wheels will be a Calais V thing only, they may even be an option and not standard. Holden have a few optional 20" wheels which is something that us Ford fans are not used to having :|

The SS dash looks great. Wonder of the light section on the dash is still suede or leather? Looks like the top of dash cluster is leather with red stitching also.

VF looks very premium, hopefully they don't ask stupid money for them.
XtRmn8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2013, 12:21 AM   #357
I8hsv
I8hsv

Doesn't do much for me but I've got that feeling it will crush the falcon this year!
I8hsv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2013, 12:25 AM   #358
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i like the rear end treatment, the old rear end sort of i always pictured the designers going "where will we put the tail lights"? " i know well just plonk them on the corners , it`s cheap that way".
all in all it looks a pretty effort on the new commy .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2013, 12:27 AM   #359
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by I8hsv View Post
Doesn't do much for me but I've got that feeling it will crush the falcon this year!
Holden doesn't need to do much to stay ahead for Ford in sales. Why? It's a Holden.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2013, 12:45 AM   #360
Chopped
as in chopped

I read that the show car wheels are 20s. The real car (Calais V) will have 19s as standard. I also doubt that the real car will sit that low.
(They have stanced that show car very well IMO)

I'm liking the exterior more and more. Curious how the SS will look.