Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-05-2022, 09:35 AM   #901
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: New Ranger teaser vidz

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbomber View Post
Review from Thailand
Nice catch....and it's in English...The local Thais media had first go at the drive sessions so international media will follow very soon.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2022, 03:48 PM   #902
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
Xls has had carpet since px. Can’t see that changing
I have a 2016 XLS with carpet. My son's work buys XL, always vinyl
Old 15-05-2022, 06:07 PM   #903
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
I have a 2016 XLS with carpet. My son's work buys XL, always vinyl
As I understand it, XLS was always a luxed up XL that was better value than XLT (?).
I’ve always admired how Ford found a way to get a better basic trim for buyers
who were dealing with fleet regulations, a great basic Ute that’s not so spartan.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2022, 06:56 PM   #904
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
As I understand it, XLS was always a luxed up XL that was better value than XLT (?).
I’ve always admired how Ford found a way to get a better basic trim for buyers
who were dealing with fleet regulations, a great basic Ute that’s not so spartan.
We bought the XLS PXII after owning a PK XLT. I could have afforded the XLT PXII byt I couldn't justify the extra nearly $8k for a stack of electric gadgets, chrome mirrors, chrome door handles and chrome grill (well plastic chrome). Although I wish I did have the in dash GPS. We did pay for an upgrade that included reversing camera and reversing sensors
Old 15-05-2022, 08:06 PM   #905
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

XLS HR in black with tech pack, off road pack, tow pack and a canopy would be ideal for us then.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2022, 08:40 PM   #906
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
We bought the XLS PXII after owning a PK XLT. I could have afforded the XLT PXII byt I couldn't justify the extra nearly $8k for a stack of electric gadgets, chrome mirrors, chrome door handles and chrome grill (well plastic chrome). Although I wish I did have the in dash GPS. We did pay for an upgrade that included reversing camera and reversing sensors
Just looking at prices for new, XLS is about $5k more than XL and XLT is 12k more than XL.
So there’s big savings to be had if you don’t need all the bells and whistles that come in XLT
Only catch is there’s no V6 option in XLS.
This user likes this post:
Old 15-05-2022, 09:48 PM   #907
JKL

Yep, XLS no v6 been down that road, base model for V6 is XLT, whilst they may release it sometime in the future, I really don’t want to wait so have a Aug/Sept delivery for a XLT, great if I had a crystal ball!!
JKL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2022, 10:26 AM   #908
vbomber

Some of the ARB accessories listed with pics and prices https://www.drive.com.au/news/2023-f...e-know-so-far/
vbomber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 16-05-2022, 05:43 PM   #909
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Some of the ARB accessories listed with pics and prices https://www.drive.com.au/news/2023-f...e-know-so-far/
Excellent, the collaboration between ARB and Ford is genius, a lot of buyers will be purchasing these custom accessories
This user likes this post:
Old 16-05-2022, 05:57 PM   #910
Gumboot

I agree, bullbars, underbody protection, canopy’s and long range tanks will sell well I expect

Speaking of which , I wonder which items will also suit the Ranger Raptor. As it could really do with a long range fuel tank , especially as it will be thirstier as a petrol. Maybe the big spare will cause issue though.
Gumboot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2022, 05:57 PM   #911
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You watch, now that Ford has a great diesel line up for Ranger & Everest, people will start wanting petrol hybrids…
Old 16-05-2022, 07:13 PM   #912
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Only if the population follows Europe and USA recognising WHO "Proven carcinogenic" status for diesel...

Personally, where I am, and, given the tyranny of distance, I'd prefer diesel for the next 4wd regardless of the circa 2012 status change from "Probable".
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2022, 08:41 PM   #913
vbomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Excellent, the collaboration between ARB and Ford is genius, a lot of buyers will be purchasing these custom accessories
Warranty support will be a big thing as do read people having issues with the current rangers with ford and the installer pointing the finger at eachother
vbomber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2022, 10:52 PM   #914
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Warranty support will be a big thing as do read people having issues with the current rangers with ford and the installer pointing the finger at eachother
Reading about that today has got me thinking about getting the accessories done prior to delivery for this very reason....

Bloody great thinking from the boffins at Ford...

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2022, 10:29 AM   #915
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Don’t agree there.There wasn’t a glut of PKs when the PX came on the market.
many reasons for that I believe. there were bugger all PKs sold, and the PX progressed in popularity.
the new Ranger is that much better and the Pricing does not seem OT so I believe it will not only encourage current ranger Buyers to trade up I think they will take other twin cabs.

hence my comment was twin cabs in general

the only thing that will slow it down is supply
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2022, 11:15 AM   #916
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Taking a leaf out of Toyota's book. Let the $$ roll in.
Old 17-05-2022, 08:55 PM   #917
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Fuel economy numbers have been released -

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-new...gures-released

Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 18-05-2022, 12:16 PM   #918
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Fuel economy numbers have been released -

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-new...gures-released

They are only prelimanary figures for south east asia. Not final australian numbers, although they will probably be the same.

Note that the 6.9 figure is for the 6 speed manual 2.0, which we don't get here. So the auto figure is 7.2.

You'd take an extra 1.2 for the V6D over the 2.0 everyday of the week.

11.5 is pretty impressive for the V6TT as well. Slightly less than the FG G6E Turbo was, despite carrying all that extra heft and driving those big, heavy BFG's.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-05-2022, 12:20 PM   #919
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Whats the difference between the 2.7L/3.0L/3.5L V6 Ecoboost engines, asides from displacement?

Are they improvements on the original 3.5L V6 Ecoboost engine or just the same thing with smaller displacements?

Also curious to see if these things will start ending up in project cars through engine swaps as Ranger Raptors start coming through the wreckers
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2022, 12:29 PM   #920
Gumboot

Very interested to hear the Ford gearbox choice reasoning on the new Ranger vs the Ranger raptor. I see the new ranger has the 10r80 10 speed , where the raptor will have the 10r60 10 speed

With the new ranger raptor having 583nm and the gearbox rated to just 600nm. Its already close to it recommended limit.
Especially with the likely-hood that the ranger ‘may’ get tickled by the aftermarket and well and truly then over 600nm.

Where the new v6 diesel rangers with 600nm (only 17 nm more) gets a 800nm rated gearbox.
Is the 10r60 so much better suited to the raptor for other reasons, ie shift quality etc?
Old 18-05-2022, 12:45 PM   #921
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Whats the difference between the 2.7L/3.0L/3.5L V6 Ecoboost engines, asides from displacement?

Are they improvements on the original 3.5L V6 Ecoboost engine or just the same thing with smaller displacements?

Also curious to see if these things will start ending up in project cars through engine swaps as Ranger Raptors start coming through the wreckers
The 3.0 is a bored and stroked 2.7. I think the 3.5 runs a different block for the bigger displacement, and is considered a different engine, although they probably share a lot of common parts.

They are all on their second generation now, so probably share the same upgrades.
Old 18-05-2022, 01:58 PM   #922
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
The 3.0 is a bored and stroked 2.7. I think the 3.5 runs a different block for the bigger displacement, and is considered a different engine, although they probably share a lot of common parts.

They are all on their second generation now, so probably share the same upgrades.
Makes sense, the 3.5 probably has a taller deck height or something compared to the 2.7/3.0 variation.

Maybe that's why the 3.5 wasn't used in the Ranger - fitment issue?
Old 18-05-2022, 02:10 PM   #923
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumboot View Post
Very interested to hear the Ford gearbox choice reasoning on the new Ranger vs the Ranger raptor. I see the new ranger has the 10r80 10 speed , where the raptor will have the 10r60 10 speed

With the new ranger raptor having 583nm and the gearbox rated to just 600nm. Its already close to it recommended limit.
Especially with the likely-hood that the ranger ‘may’ get tickled by the aftermarket and well and truly then over 600nm.

Where the new v6 diesel rangers with 600nm (only 17 nm more) gets a 800nm rated gearbox.
Is the 10r60 so much better suited to the raptor for other reasons, ie shift quality etc?
Presume the heavier duty trans is because the Ranger has a lot higher tow rating than the Raptor
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2022, 02:39 PM   #924
Gumboot

Quote:
Presume the heavier duty trans is because the Ranger has a lot higher tow rating than the Raptor

That seems logical but I cant help but to wonder if they looked at the other factors such as how people will use it. ( apart from the soccer mums)

Maybe to 10r60 has a much bigger upper torque design margin than ford are letting on.
In the states this 3.0 Ecoboost is now getting over 335kw and 710nm with just fuel and a tune. No other modifications at places like Livernois etc. How good is that. And lets face it people will mod them in time and yes ford wont warranty them then, but they also don't want to see a bunch of raptors on socials with busted transmissions in year or two down the track. Of course I hope that's not the case, but pointing something out that's all.
Old 18-05-2022, 02:47 PM   #925
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That seems logical but I cant help but to wonder if they looked at the other factors such as how people will use it. ( apart from the soccer mums)

Maybe to 10r60 has a much bigger upper torque design margin than ford are letting on.
In the states this 3.0 Ecoboost is now getting over 335kw and 710nm with just fuel and a tune. No other modifications at places like Livernois etc. How good is that. And lets face it people will mod them in time and yes ford wont warranty them then, but they also don't want to see a bunch of raptors on socials with busted transmissions in year or two down the track. Of course I hope that's not the case, but pointing something out that's all.
I do query sometimes why manufacturers don’t fit the best gear to the vehicle because surely there would only be a couple of hundred bucks difference in the cost of the heavier trans when building.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2022, 03:20 PM   #926
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
I do query sometimes why manufacturers don’t fit the best gear to the vehicle because surely there would only be a couple of hundred bucks difference in the cost of the heavier trans when building.
Cause accountants,

The day of the 4L80E, TH400 and the C6 are long gone
Old 18-05-2022, 04:06 PM   #927
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

They use the 6R60 in Explorer, don’t let the 600 rating fool you the hybrid ecoboost v6 has 600 lb ft rating that’s going on the input shaft
2 users like this post:
Old 18-05-2022, 04:16 PM   #928
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo
Makes sense, the 3.5 probably has a taller deck height or something compared to the 2.7/3.0 variation.

Maybe that's why the 3.5 wasn't used in the Ranger - fitment issue?
Corporate moves to protect the top dog F150 Raptor with the 3.5. You can't run the same engine in a smaller vehicle and have it be out performed.

In saying that i'll bet the Ranger Raptor is quicker around the desert endurance track in Alice Springs. The last Raptor was quicker than the leaf sprung effie. But the newer effie also has coil springs now, but i'll bet it's still slower than the new Ranger. I'll talk to some of the drivers and confirm it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumboot

The 10R's can handle well over their claimed numbers. Just like the 6R's did.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-05-2022, 04:30 PM   #929
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Id like to see the differences in ratios, remember we are comparing a diesel to a Petrol where normally the Diesel has the smaller rev range,

though these Eco boost engines do develop torque very low
Old 18-05-2022, 04:47 PM   #930
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mmm only the 1st 2 gears have different ratios, pretty similar
free image uploading site
https://gearsmagazine.com/magazine/i...but-different/