Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-11-2021, 09:54 AM   #301
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: New Ranger teaser vidz

There will be a lot more manufacturers out the door before Ford.
Honda, Subaru, Suzuki, Skoda, Nissan, Jeep, Citroën, Renault, Peugeot to name a few.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2021, 01:32 PM   #302
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217
I suspect a lot of us make judgement what you on the road around your daily movements……
Rangers I see plenty as well as Hiluxs and more than numbers prevail Navara…..
Ranger done very well - Everest what I see on the road is on one hand.
Fugly Prado opposite plenty.
I expect it varies wherever you are.
It sure hasn’t been a Prado killer But maybe this new one losing that rounded back end and a V6 sure is promising if the Ranger is as good as quoted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It will take time to really compete with Prado numbers. It took Ranger a good 6-7 years before it started to really compete with Hilux numbers. The positive thing has been Everest growth. It's continued to grow in sales every year since release, and has taken a big jump since covid. The 704 will only continue to add to the growth. It will get there eventually. The big advantage Toyota have is in fleet sales to mining companies. Big advantage there. Go to any mining town and you will see heaps of them. But the V6 adds something new, at least for a few years until Prado gets it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
I remember when the Ranger Raptor was released and a lot of people on AFF voiced their concerns with the tiny engine.

A handful of other member said stuff like "Ford know what they're doing, most people want a small efficient 4 cylinder in a Raptor 'performance' ute, Ford isn't going to put a bigger engine in it just to sell to a few enthusiasts"

Well I hope Ford realised they screwed up with this engine. They're only going to sell a handful to enthusiasts. Everyone will be opting for the 4 cylinder right?
Did you miss the part about the old Ranger not being able to take anything bigger than a 4 cylinder? It wasn't that they didn't want to fit a bigger engine, it was because they couldn't.

It's irrelevant anyway, cause the Raptor sold in bigger numbers than their original sales projections, so it was a success despite having a 2 litre. Maybe they actually know what they are doing.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2021, 02:54 PM   #303
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
It will take time to really compete with Prado numbers. It took Ranger a good 6-7 years before it started to really compete with Hilux numbers. The positive thing has been Everest growth. It's continued to grow in sales every year since release, and has taken a big jump since covid. The 704 will only continue to add to the growth. It will get there eventually. The big advantage Toyota have is in fleet sales to mining companies. Big advantage there. Go to any mining town and you will see heaps of them. But the V6 adds something new, at least for a few years until Prado gets it.

Did you miss the part about the old Ranger not being able to take anything bigger than a 4 cylinder? It wasn't that they didn't want to fit a bigger engine, it was because they couldn't.

It's irrelevant anyway, cause the Raptor sold in bigger numbers than their original sales projections, so it was a success despite having a 2 litre. Maybe they actually know what they are doing.
Agreed re Prado - we know their Fleet business is huge BUT from my perspective in surburbia you see countless Prados the point I'm making.
They are swimming in both pools.
Everest needs to fill the surburbia pool - plenty of potential I expect with this new one, V6 should be popular for the family camper types etc for starters.
Stock stock stock will be the key.
By the way, my 4/5hrs of driving my parts today I came across the rare beast 1 x Everest lol.....
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2021, 03:24 PM   #304
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
Agreed re Prado - we know their Fleet business is huge BUT from my perspective in surburbia you see countless Prados the point I'm making.
They are swimming in both pools.
Everest needs to fill the surburbia pool - plenty of potential I expect with this new one, V6 should be popular for the family camper types etc for starters.
Stock stock stock will be the key.
By the way, my 4/5hrs of driving my parts today I came across the rare beast 1 x Everest lol.....
I see them all over the place. But you would expect that down here.
Old 30-11-2021, 03:32 PM   #305
jgmdat

Funny how the only people that usually complain about the 2 litre engine are the ones that don't actually own one.
jgmdat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2021, 03:37 PM   #306
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Fords biggest problem in Australia is the cost of euro models. They really get smashed when it comes to trying to be competitive on price which is why we have slowly seen cars like the Focus die. They have always had a high wholesale cost to Ford which has made it difficult for them to compete previously, but given the movement in car prices and the lack of discounting perhaps things would have changed for them now moving forward.

Supply on Escape has been nonexistent this year with only some new cars filtering through now. People want it but cant even test drive it atm due to no stock. My guess is they could easily sell 300 - 400 a month if they actually had them. Mustang is the same, no stock and a big order book at the moment. Another car that can comfortably sell 300 - 400 a month if supply was right.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-11-2021, 04:31 PM   #307
winkle

Looking forward to ordering a Wildtrak with the V6 in a couple of years' time. Just hoping I can make it fit within my novated lease parameters. Current Wildtrak BiTurbo is 13 months old and 50,000 trouble free kms so far. This new ute looks the goods and is full of goodies, which might be upgraded by the time I get to order one.
winkle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2021, 04:33 PM   #308
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmdat View Post
Funny how the only people that usually complain about the 2 litre engine are the ones that don't actually own one.
Absolutely. Chalk and cheese compared to the 3.2. Nothing against the 3.2 it’s a great engine, but the 2 litre is light years ahead in performance and refinement!
Old 01-12-2021, 11:11 AM   #309
DK30RB

Quote:
Ford has dealerships in 180 countries that sell Ranger. Some of those countries sell only a few hundred cars a year. Yet Ford still has a presence there. Cambodia (or was it Myanmar?) has one dealership in the whole country, and they sell less than 200 cars a year. So what makes you think Ford would pack up and leave here just because Ranger sales drop off? FFS have a think about it before you go rabbiting this crap.

How many brands sell less than 1000 cars a month here? Probably 1/2 to 3/4 of them. Maybe they should all pack up and leave
How big is the dealer network for those brands who sell under 1000 cars per month?
Lets see - Volvo 36 dealers
Skoda 42 dealers
Renault 58 dealers

A lot of the smaller brands are sub dealers sharing showroom and yard space with a bigger brand....

There are around 200 Ford dealers in Australia. If sales drop to around 1000 cars per month that will mean an average of 5 cars per dealer. I can't see that any Ford dealer would consider that a viable business....

Sure... weaker dealerships would close, then you have fewer service locations, less brand confidence. hmmm seems very familiar.

I'm not saying, wishing, or hoping ford follow Holden, i expect to keep buying Ford as long as they have a product i want. Can't ignore that from a business standpoint its risky relying on 1 product.

Yes ranger is sold world wide - but so were the Holden products - problem is - no one liked them in Australia and the brand tanked......

If suddenly there is a better alternative to the Ranger and sales plummet... then what?

New Ranger looks like a winner compared to other offerings available at the moment. I like it. Lets see how it compares when the others release their updated models....
DK30RB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2021, 11:27 AM   #310
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK30RB View Post
How big is the dealer network for those brands who sell under 1000 cars per month?
Skoda 42 dealers
Renault 58 dealers

A lot of the smaller brands are sub dealers sharing showroom and yard space with a bigger brand....

There are around 200 Ford dealers in Australia. If sales drop to around 1000 cars per month that will mean an average of 5 cars per dealer. I can't see that any Ford dealer would consider that a viable business....

Sure... weaker dealerships would close, then you have fewer service locations, less brand confidence. hmmm seems very familiar.

I'm not saying, wishing, or hoping ford follow Holden, i expect to keep buying Ford as long as they have a product i want. Can't ignore that from a business standpoint its risky relying on 1 product.

Yes ranger is sold world wide - but so were the Holden products - problem is - no one liked them in Australia and the brand tanked......

If suddenly there is a better alternative to the Ranger and sales plummet... then what?

New Ranger looks like a winner compared to other offerings available at the moment. I like it. Lets see how it compares when the others release their updated models....
I stopped reading at “Sales drop to 1000”. Nonsensical “what if” rubbish.

If Bruce Willis doesn’t blow up the Asteroid……
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-12-2021, 11:29 AM   #311
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Many Ford dealerships already have subsidiary brands filling the gaps where they cannot get hold of stock, I think they are better managed than the Holden Dealerships.

The majority of Holden's sales were commodore, whilst other Brands were losing sales in large sedans they still managed to sell them well. But every other carmaker knew where that was heading.

Give ford some credit they wont be following the path of Holden. even if Toyota come up with an amazing V6 Hilux ford will still be selling the same ratio rangers to them as it stands.
But there is no amazing Hilux coming only speculation - Ranger will dominate - get on board
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2021, 11:33 AM   #312
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What I would like to see is a Monologue chassis version of the new Everest with IRS etc built at a lower price point
I appreciate its not that easy, but such a vehicle is missing from the current Ford line up.

and dont call it Endura for starters...
Old 01-12-2021, 01:15 PM   #313
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rockhampton Holden dealer has taken on Peugot...
Old 01-12-2021, 01:58 PM   #314
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK30RB
Skoda 42 dealers
Renault 58 dealers

The Holden products weren't sold worldwide though. GM pulled out of Europe 5 years ago, and India and South Africa, so that left Thailand and Australia/NZ as the only markets. That's what killed them. Ford sell in all RHD countries.

And even if sales do drop off, it just means a rationalization of dealership numbers. Which is already something that was done when local production stopped. It's just a non argument. And a dumb one. Sales could halve overnight and the brand will still be here ffs.

Ford have been either the 3rd or 4th highest selling brand in the country this year. What does that say about the other 40 something brands that Ford outsell? Should they all pack up and leave?
4 users like this post:
Old 01-12-2021, 02:08 PM   #315
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper Martini View Post
Many Ford dealerships already have subsidiary brands filling the gaps where they cannot get hold of stock, I think they are better managed than the Holden Dealerships.

The majority of Holden's sales were commodore, whilst other Brands were losing sales in large sedans they still managed to sell them well. But every other carmaker knew where that was heading.

Give ford some credit they wont be following the path of Holden. even if Toyota come up with an amazing V6 Hilux ford will still be selling the same ratio rangers to them as it stands.
But there is no amazing Hilux coming only speculation - Ranger will dominate - get on board
As soon as Holden went away from selling the decent Euro (Opel) stuff locally and turned to rebadged Daewoo Junk, it was the beginning of the end... Relying on sales in a segment that has done nothing but shrink didn't help... Comparing Ford to Holden is no longer relevant, one is still here, one isn't, its as simple as that.

You cant argue that Ford relies on 1 model for its sales, but is that really a bad thing, when that 1 model is either 1st or 2nd on VFACT Sales charts every month?? Sales are Sales, especially when the majority are Mid/High Spec variants (XLT/Wildtrack/Raptor) and in a model that's been on sale for 8/9 years?? The new one is a large step forward for the segment so I can only assume its sales will gain strength... I think Everest will poach sales as well once the new one is released with the V6 Diesel option....

Anyway, im just impatient for Release dates, specs and pricing to be released... Ive got a deposit/contract pending Price/Specs but even dealers cant tell me any more than that.. Apart from my salesman talking about May/June 22...

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 01-12-2021, 06:48 PM   #316
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper Martini View Post
What I would like to see is a Monologue chassis version of the new Everest with IRS etc built at a lower price point
I appreciate its not that easy, but such a vehicle is missing from the current Ford line up.

and dont call it Endura for starters...
Could you mean monocoque chassis...problem is Ford have Ecosport (lets forget that one) Escape, Explorer, Edge, (Expedition is ladder-frame), and the Lincoln versions....and in China a long wheel-base 3 row Edge...and a model called Territory that is smaller but no relation...
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2021, 06:52 PM   #317
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wagon version of the Maverick?

Old 01-12-2021, 08:06 PM   #318
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
Could you mean monocoque chassis...problem is Ford have Ecosport (lets forget that one) Escape, Explorer, Edge, (Expedition is ladder-frame), and the Lincoln versions....and in China a long wheel-base 3 row Edge...and a model called Territory that is smaller but no relation...
You forgot ( and no I couldn’t be bothered looking for more ) Fiesta and Puma ( at least ).
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2021, 08:53 PM   #319
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmdat View Post
Who buys a car they don't want?

I've driven one, not bad. Better than the 5 cylinder.

Quote:

That might be the case, but it wasn't the excuse that was getting thrown around here.
Ben73 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2021, 08:57 PM   #320
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK30RB View Post
65% of sales relying on the success of 1 car...
so who are we talking about here? Dealerships? well they are almost all multi-franchise so they won't suffer. Ford Engineering? well if Ranger flops here then there are 180 other markets it is selling in. If it flops everywhere then that's more work for us fixing it, isn't it?

the only guys really likely to suffer are the sales and marketing type in Richmond. if we don't sell Fords then we don't need a marketing team. for everyone else its carry on as normal
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-12-2021, 11:53 PM   #321
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

And here was me thinking that a 3.2 I-5 was longer than a 3.0 V6……
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2021, 06:16 AM   #322
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
You forgot ( and no I couldn’t be bothered looking for more ) Fiesta and Puma ( at least ).
I was only listing suv-types...as Vesper's post referred to a possible Everest type vehicle using a monocoque chassis....what I did forget was Bronco but it's body on frame, while Bronco Sport is monocoque. (Escape-based)

Last edited by Dr Smith; 02-12-2021 at 06:27 AM.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2021, 06:45 AM   #323
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
the only guys really likely to suffer are the sales and marketing type in Richmond. if we don't sell Fords then we don't need a marketing team. for everyone else its carry on as normal
Ford Australia has a marketing team?

I think they could use a refresh just quietly
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2021, 09:46 AM   #324
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
I'd rather see a Raptor version of the Everest.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2021, 11:17 AM   #325
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
Would that be the Bronco sport? looks like its the same platform and also made in mexico.
but I read it has a shorter wheelbase than Escape - so too small

sadly no RHD planned anyway
Old 02-12-2021, 11:21 AM   #326
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
That may eventuate, but at what price tag? RR is already up there.

personally I don't want/need the robustness 4WD ladder chassis and associated handling - not many do
Old 02-12-2021, 11:23 AM   #327
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Ford Australia has a marketing team?

I think they could use a refresh just quietly
Do you watch free to air TV? There are Ford ads all the time advertising Ranger, Everest and Puma, and when they actually had supplies of Escape they had plenty of ads for those too. Then there is the pin point marketing like they were doing with The Block, where there were a lot of their vehicles highlighted on the show (yeah I know that show sucks, but it's one of the highest rating shows in the country).

On top of that I have also seen Ford ads on youtube etc.

IMO they have really lifted their game over the past few years. Their efforts are certainly comparable to Toyota, Hyundai and Kia. Which from my viewing seem to be the manufacturers who spend the most on advertising.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:38 AM   #328
Bossxr8
Peter Car

https://www.drive.com.au/news/2022-f...viewed-online/

Some photos have come through with cars fitted with some of the dealer fit ARB accessories that will be available.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:47 AM   #329
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

time to buy shares in arb!
Giant Cranium is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2021, 12:55 PM   #330
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
With an Ecoboost.