Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-10-2021, 02:11 PM   #3721
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Default Re: What made you feel good today?

In the old days, I used fish oil. Now I use Lanox, sprayed the whole car with it and absolutely no rust.
Old man swoar by spraying diesel, but car bonfires aren't desired.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-10-2021, 02:51 PM   #3722
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

3rd game in a row beat my golf playing mate this morn !
Love it and now enjoying WFH......
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-10-2021, 04:15 PM   #3723
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Jamming on one of the store Les Pauls and the staff giving me thumbs up.
Walked out with an amp, couple of straps and a bunch of picks.
It might get loud here this weekend.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 08-10-2021, 05:02 PM   #3724
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

If you bought a Princeton Reverb RI, then I really hate you.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-10-2021, 11:15 PM   #3725
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
If you bought a Princeton Reverb RI, then I really hate you.
Boss Katana. Considered spending a bit more for the 2 × 12" but the single 12" was in store and had ample volume. They had the "deluxe" 2 x 12" there but only really had one extra tonal option. Maybe a nice option but not an extra $230 nice.
Single 12" bit lighter too, so easy call in the end, should be a fun weekend.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2021, 09:48 AM   #3726
slowsnake
Banned

I have never played guitar, acoustic or electric, but when I was prospecting I bought a mini amp, guess what I could run it on AA batteries?
It was maybe 2009 and it was low amp, and 14 inches square, Imagine sitting around ya camp-fire and this little amp sitting on my tailgate, having a beer in the pitch black, and your blowing on a harmonica, through an amp?
That's what's known as Chicago Blues, amplified harp, that is exactly what Chicago Blues is, I had a copy of Guitar Player in the early 80's, had big article on Hendrix, I think, but it had a cover of a little rocky amphitheatre on the cover, it was pure Australia, pure out back, and the was a Strat plugged into the rocks, too coooool, classic, wish I still had it!
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2021, 10:45 PM   #3727
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My client asked for me to build a stud wall to enclose a carport with blue board ready for render, her ex builder but unwell husband would assist as the brains of the outfit. It was amazing to watch this 40yr building veteran plan and calculate what we would need, talk through how we will do it, then offer solutions for issues he can foresee.
On a concreting job with him a few years ago, just mixing the ingredients into a mixer was second nature-mad respect.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 10-10-2021, 09:04 AM   #3728
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

danzvtil

there is something about these old codgers that has been lost.
Old 10-10-2021, 10:13 AM   #3729
slowsnake
Banned

Not old codgers?
These are just folk who cared about their work, took a bit of pride, you still had to work quickly and efficiently, but we cared about the finished product, and no fancy electronics to help, it is inbult, it's something you are born with and you never lose it, but for every good and efficient tradesman or labourer or truck driver, there are 5 lousey ones, sounds like you met a goodie!
5 users like this post:
Old 10-10-2021, 02:02 PM   #3730
.:4:.
Kicking back

Went over again to help my mate rext door re attempt removing the tree stump. Got it this time. Great success. So digging further down we found 2 other roots. So yes ive ordered 2 new chains for my chainsaw but they havent arrived so i had put the best of my used ones on. And yes i know that if you do not clean the chain the moment you hit the dirt they're pretty well stuffed. But try not hitting the dirt cutting roots 400mm down. But the best of a bad bunch chain was way better then the final state of the was new and did the bulk of the work chain. But the job is done. But my mates mum appreciates effort involved, and the fact my mate (her son) got offered a hand straight up, and we got the result. I claimed it but. So 99.99% out of the ground i kicked it lightly and it fell all the way over. So clearly the law of bragging rights denote that even if another person or persons have either put in effort or even done all the work, the person who gets the final result regardless of how much or little effort towards said project is the person to claim the success.
But a solid effort was made by all parties involved and success was the eventual outcome.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2021, 02:44 PM   #3731
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

following on. from Slowsnakes comment about taking pride in work, and in the spirit of me feeling good; our earthworks finished yesterday. the guy who did the work, owns his own company, he is 36 and takes enormous pride in his work. My wife and I stood and watched him at times. the excavator was simply an extension of him. It was like watching a precision performance. It certainly made me feel good, getting the job done, ahead of time and in such a neat and precise way. 450 Tons of (mainly) rock and earth moved.
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2021, 06:00 PM   #3732
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
Not old codgers?
These are just folk who cared about their work, took a bit of pride, you still had to work quickly and efficiently, but we cared about the finished product, and no fancy electronics to help, it is inbult, it's something you are born with and you never lose it, but for every good and efficient tradesman or labourer or truck driver, there are 5 lousey ones, sounds like you met a goodie!
Well said.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-10-2021, 08:37 PM   #3733
Itsme
Experienced Member

Getting my email from Bunnings to pick up my goods I ordered and paid for 10 days ago after being told it was next day service.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2021, 01:37 AM   #3734
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
My ASUS G55V which I purchase in 2013 is being retired today as I have purchased an ASUS G513 Advantage Edition. Full AMD system!
What a kickbum machine!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23IVh5v9hMk

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2021, 02:16 AM   #3735
slowsnake
Banned

My first ever computer, never used a computer before, it was in 2008. It was an ASUS F5 from memory, lasted quite a long time, good machine to learn on!
Old 11-10-2021, 09:18 AM   #3736
slowsnake
Banned

I'll tell you what made me feel good today, getting 6 hrs straight sleep, not 1, or 2, or 3, or 4 but 10pm to 4am, I know it don't sound like much to others but to lay my head down on that pillow and awake 6 hrs later in exactly the same position in bed, that is the panacea for the coming days tiredness!
And big bonus, being woken up by a snoring, mewing, slobbering miniature tiger!.lol.

Last edited by slowsnake; 11-10-2021 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Autospell
3 users like this post:
Old 11-10-2021, 11:56 AM   #3737
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To see Hamilton has lost his lead in the championship points, then spit the dummy because he was told to box for new tyres and thereby relinquishing a podium.
He'll be pouting all day now and go home and kick the cat.
4 users like this post:
Old 11-10-2021, 12:04 PM   #3738
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
To see Hamilton has lost his lead in the championship points, then spit the dummy because he was told to box for new tyres and thereby relinquishing a podium.
He'll be pouting all day now and go home and kick the cat.
yes I was enjoying since the quali penalty might I add
Great outcome at the end.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-10-2021, 12:06 PM   #3739
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So I bought SVS ultra speakers (known to be power hungry low speakers) and powered them using my Marantz AV receiver with 50 watts into 8 ohms rms.

There was some audiophiles saying you need external amps to get the best out of them but I thought ahh yes snakeoil salesmen....

Rave reviews about the SVS Ultra speakers but something just did not sound right to me-bit thin bright up high- hard to hear dialog. Spent 3 years tweeking settings.

Concluded the speakers are overhyped and started looking at big buck tower speakers and planning and thinking.

Anyway- decided in interim to buy an American power amplifier called Emotiva that puts out 165 watts into 8 ohms x2 (class A-B) , to drive the 2 front speakers, using the pre outs of the Marantz.

After a weekend and playing music and that surf scene from Point Blank loud, holy crap, the SVS speakers pump and are amazing with decent amplification.

First time I have had full spectrum sound that is beefy hi fi that out powers a cinema sound system in my home- to the point I could not play max volume as my ears hurt.

First time I have had such power that dynamic explosions and pounding waves etc are fully reproduced because the amplifier has the power to produce the full wave height of sound instead squashing the wave of sound because the electronics are over saturating.

Made me happy the SVS Ultras are special speakers, but they do need a class A-B high watt "v8 amplifier" with grunt.

Only problem is now gotta wait for my wife to leave home before I can enjoy the system.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-10-2021, 12:09 PM   #3740
slowsnake
Banned

Good, but he can kick the dog not the cat, poor old Dan is having a hard time of it, he can only blame himself now, especially this far into the racing season, no excuses, Norris seems to be hanling the McLaren alright, I think Dan is starting to show a little too much stress about his positional situation, he needs to worry about his ****, not Norris!
2 users like this post:
Old 11-10-2021, 12:15 PM   #3741
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
So I bought SVS ultra speakers (known to be power hungry low speakers) and powered them using my Marantz AV receiver with 50 watts into 8 ohms rms.

There was some audiophiles saying you need external amps to get the best out of them but I thought ahh yes snakeoil salesmen....

Rave reviews about the SVS Ultra speakers but something just did not sound right to me-bit thin bright up high- hard to hear dialog. Spent 3 years tweeking settings.

Concluded the speakers are overhyped and started looking at big buck tower speakers and planning and thinking.

Anyway- decided in interim to buy an American power amplifier called Emotiva that puts out 165 watts into 8 ohms x2 (class A-B) , to drive the 2 front speakers, using the pre outs of the Marantz.

After a weekend and playing music and that surf scene from Point Blank loud, holy crap, the SVS speakers pump and are amazing with decent amplification.

First time I have had full spectrum sound that is beefy hi fi that out powers a cinema sound system in my home- to the point I could not play max volume as my ears hurt.

First time I have had such power that dynamic explosions and pounding waves etc are fully reproduced because the amplifier has the power to produce the full wave height of sound instead squashing the wave of sound because the electronics are over saturating.

Made me happy the SVS Ultras are special speakers, but they do need a class A-B high watt "v8 amplifier" with grunt.

Only problem is now gotta wait for my wife to leave home before I can enjoy the system.
I wish you dident post the above, now I want to go bloody surfing!.lol,
And I don't surf or own a surfboard, but you made me feel like I did!..lol..

PS-You ever listened to the old Wharfedale speaker systems!

Last edited by slowsnake; 11-10-2021 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Add PS
Old 11-10-2021, 12:41 PM   #3742
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

What about the neighbours
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2021, 12:56 PM   #3743
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
My neighbours love it so much when I have the stereo cranked up they throw bricks through my window so they can hear it better.
4 users like this post:
Old 11-10-2021, 01:01 PM   #3744
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
House on side facing speakers has been essentially unoccupied since some 1985.

And I do not intend blowing my ears out by playing the system for hours at end. This was just testing the system.

Generally I will play music at a volume where if I listen I immerse myself in sound, but no so loud it is unpleasant.

Put it this way. With the Marantz I stopped playing music as it was bleh.

With this emotiva I sat there in chair in front of system eyes closed, and just floated away in the 3D immersion of detailed sound.

And slowsnake, no never had/listened to Wharfendales.

Irony with Pointbreak and this system listening to waves pounding, it is more realistic than life itself. I surfed a reef break years ago in Newcastle that was between 12-13 plus foot, crunching into reef. Curiously (probably because I was crapping for my life) I blocked out that sound of crunching explosions of waves tubing into the reef- like an eery silence focusing on what I had to do to survive.

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
Old 11-10-2021, 02:31 PM   #3745
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
My neighbours love it so much when I have the stereo cranked up they throw bricks through my window so they can hear it better.
Reminds me of a case many years ago in Darwin, guy who was a sparkie got sick of Kiwi renting young guy neighbours playing loud music, who did not listen to his shouts to turn it down.

Did what any sane person would, got his pump action shotgun, cartridge belt slung over his shoulder, kicked front door in with gun pointed in front of him, and marched into house- all the Kiwis jumped out of windows of the house like rats leaping off a sinking ship.

Bugger almost got sent away for that.....

3 users like this post:
Old 11-10-2021, 02:59 PM   #3746
Kicking back

Quote:
Reminds me of a case many years ago in Darwin, guy who was a sparkie got sick of Kiwi renting young guy neighbours playing loud music, who did not listen to his shouts to turn it down.

Did what any sane person would, got his pump action shotgun, cartridge belt slung over his shoulder, kicked front door in with gun pointed in front of him, and marched into house- all the Kiwis jumped out of windows of the house like rats leaping off a sinking ship.

Bugger almost got sent away for that.....
I was initially thinking as you said the bloke was a sparkie he would have just walked over, pulled the meter protection fuse, pocketed that and left the neighbor scratching their head..
3 users like this post:
Old 11-10-2021, 03:17 PM   #3747
Kicking back

Had to have a bit of a laugh yesterday. So round 1 a few days back of trying to help my mate remove the tree stump and my other mate tried to be the big man weilding the axe and making a fool of himself, he put the axe through the side of the garden shed. My mate whos mums place it is took the blame for that.
So yesterday my mate asked me for help, but didnt ask my other mate as he is a hindrance.
But what was funny, i tried so hard not to laugh. So apon getting started my mates mum comes out to say thanks for helping, which is nice, then goes all stern my mate. She says 'ROBERT, YOU PROMISE NO MORE HOLES IN MY SHED'. My mate rob is 29, but turned into an 8 year old with the whole no mum....
5 users like this post:
Old 11-10-2021, 05:37 PM   #3748
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

After weeks (months) of demotivating dead-ends, finally got someone to cut my flood light cover glass in 5mm borosilicate. Collect it tomorrow, should have that job sorted by the weekend.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-10-2021, 08:06 PM   #3749
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
yes I was enjoying since the quali penalty might I add
Great outcome at the end.
And I enjoyed Yuki Tsunoda's comments

https://www.racefans.net/2021/10/10/...nd-for-longer/

How soon before somebody retard calls him a racist because of these actions?

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2021, 10:37 PM   #3750
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
After weeks (months) of demotivating dead-ends, finally got someone to cut my flood light cover glass in 5mm borosilicate. Collect it tomorrow, should have that job sorted by the weekend.
Yeh, its a mongrel when you cant find a borosilicate cutter, used to be one on every street corner, where did they all go!..have to go back to the old lime-soda glass!...lol...